Trial Run for Dogs in Resort Rooms

Do you think dogs should be allowed in guests' rooms?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Two dogs here and that’s a NO! for all the reasons listed. So you are going to park and leave your dog locked in room?!? Are they requiring you crate them? I will assume no housekeeping if a dog is in room. What about you check in with dog terrified kid and there is one next door? WHY didn’t they start this at resorts with floor and no carpet.

Cabins I’m fine with since there are already dogs at campground. There are plenty of resorts offsite that take them. Disney hoping for a fail in this one!!

The way the article is written says that the 4 resorts have been designated as "pet friendly".
The dogs must be leashed and vaccinated (so upon arrival/check-in, there's someone documenting? :rolleyes1)
Does this mean that the dogs are allowed in the lobby? Restaurants? Bars? Stores? Pool areas?
Totally ambiguous.

The article I read mentioned something about the items that would be received at check in and one of them was a "dog walking map" so maybe they are restricted to certain areas?

If I had a room booked at one of these resorts during the trial period, I'd be on the phone with WDW demanding to be moved. All the potential problems have been mentioned by PPs, so I don't need to add to that. I love dogs--I guess it's necessary to mention that, just in case the 1 person who voted Yes thinks I'm just a dog-hater. But I don't want them at my resort at WDW.

I thought occupancy at the WDW resorts was near capacity, so I can't understand why they're doing this. Did people who stayed with their dogs during Irma influence this decision?

This thread has me wondering how Disney deals with people that have service dogs and emotional support animals? I'm sure from a legal aspect they would have to accomodate them, but how is that currently run? Only certain resorts or designated rooms at all resorts? I don't know anything about the program...

UGH just no. I'm allergic to dogs. It's the #1 reason DD can't have a dog. I have friends and familys houses I can't go to for more than an hour at a time because of their dog and at that I have to take my inhaler because it triggers my asthma and I start wheezing. Dog and cats are about the only thing that triggers my asthma. Just an awful idea.

My friends DS breaks out into hives from dog hair. This isn't a good idea.

I think they made this move because people are already bringing their dogs to the resorts/parks. I started a thread on this over the summer after we got back from our most recent trip and we saw at least 10 dogs at the resorts and parks. I love dogs and have two of them, but I don't like this move either.

The article I read mentioned something about the items that would be received at check in and one of them was a "dog walking map" so maybe they are restricted to certain areas?

Yes, I saw that. :) It is ambiguous. Maybe upon check-in, the parameters are laid out better. But... unless it's made clear ahead of time, I can see potential problems. Delcaring the resort (meaning the whole resort, not just the rooms) as pet-friendly, to me, means the dogs are welcome throughout the property. I'm sure there would be others who interpret it that way. Who is going to monitor when/where the dogs can and cannot go? We all know how good Disney is at enforcing it's own rules. (Insert sarcasm...)

If I had a room booked at one of these resorts during the trial period, I'd be on the phone with WDW demanding to be moved. All the potential problems have been mentioned by PPs, so I don't need to add to that. I love dogs--I guess it's necessary to mention that, just in case the 1 person who voted Yes thinks I'm just a dog-hater. But I don't want them at my resort at WDW.

I thought occupancy at the WDW resorts was near capacity, so I can't understand why they're doing this. Did people who stayed with their dogs during Irma influence this decision?
I don't understand it either. Why allow dogs in a resort that most people are in the parks all day? Who will be there to take them out to go to the bathroom? I know from family members that use puppy pads, they miss and hit the floor all the time. How will housekeeping know that they need to clean the carpet in that spot? Just gross. Not to mention barking. I listen to my neighbors dog bark all day. I go on vacation to get away from that.

Will there be a dog fee like there is an extra adult fee? In case they ruin something or for the extra deep cleanings people will request.

I think they made this move because people are already bringing their dogs to the resorts/parks. I started a thread on this over the summer after we got back from our most recent trip and we saw at least 10 dogs at the resorts and parks. I love dogs and have two of them, but I don't like this move either.

This was my thought as well....it's their current M.O.: find a way to charge people for doing what they're already doing.

My guess is people were bringing dogs (and maybe even the Irma dogs influenced this) and they were like, wait....we need to be making money off these dogs. So, voila: charge them $50+/night to have the dog and then sell doggy merchandise at the resort! Cash grab!

This particular cash grab is going to blow up in their faces, though. If it's still in play during my upcoming stay, I'm going to cancel and stay off site. It pains me to say that, but it's just not worth ruining my vacation...i have 3 rooms booked for the 15 guests we're bringing to POR.

Yes, I saw that. :) It is ambiguous. Maybe upon check-in, the parameters are laid out better. But... unless it's made clear ahead of time, I can see potential problems. Delcaring the resort (meaning the whole resort, not just the rooms) as pet-friendly, to me, means the dogs are welcome throughout the property. I'm sure there would be others who interpret it that way. Who is going to monitor when/where the dogs can and cannot go? We all know how good Disney is at enforcing it's own rules. (Insert sarcasm...)
Yeah like smoking areas...:rolleyes: They actively tell guests not to smoke when outside the smoking areas soooo well.

Look at the extra cleaning charges. This might be revenue driven.
A lot of hotels allow dogs, including Universal hotels. I suspect most of the issues mentioned in this thread have been solved.

That said I don't see the point. You're not going to be with your dog during the day in the parks. Or is that the next step. Allowing pets in the parks?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter