Trails End changes?

I was thinking today, if the Fort were sort of like a DVC where you could actually buy a site, would you? how much would you pay? i think i definitely would. it would be your site and you could rent it out. sort of like an ownership resort.

You are darn tootin I would buy DVC if they included the Fort! We opted to buy a motorhome instead of the DVC so we had more options.

Now, on topic here (yes Rhonda) After reading several articles, including Jim Hill's article I referenced earlier, I know that Disney has to make cutbacks and such because of the economy, but I sure wish they would have left TE alone. It was sure fine the way it was. I am not commenting about the pizza, just the buffet.

I've been here since August, 1997. At this point, I'm pretty sure I'm a regular! :thumbsup2

Now, let's get this thead back on topic! We're talking about the Trail's End. We've always enjoyed it. It's gone through quite a few changes over the years, but it always has that homey feeling that everyone likes. And, Ken. He's definitely a "regular"!! It's always nice to walk in and see him and get his cheerful greeting! :goodvibes

The food has changed -- like with most places. But, we'll keep going. It's tradition. :)

Our first trip to the Fort was Oct 1999- and have stayed there every year since, sometimes 2 or 3 times a year.

You hit the nail on the head, TE is a tradition! :goodvibes

You are darn tootin I would buy DVC if they included the Fort! We opted to buy a motorhome instead of the DVC so we had more options.

Now, on topic here (yes Rhonda) After reading several articles, including Jim Hill's I referenced earlier, I know that Disney has to make cutbacks and such because of the economy, but I sure wish they would have left TE alone. It was sure fine the way it was. I am not commenting about the pizza, the buffet.

As far as the cuts go due to economic issues, I would think Disney would try to build more value into the experience rather than take it away. All things being equal, if times are tough, I will make MORE of an effort to go if there are new or improved things to do. If there are things being taken away and or cheapened and times are tough I am more inclined to wait it out and postpone a trip. Trails end is a good example, due to cuts in the quantity and quality of items we go much less often, now I am only one person but I do know that others have noticed it and also go less frequently :confused3

As far as the cuts go due to economic issues, I would think Disney would try to build more value into the experience rather than take it away. All things being equal, if times are tough, I will make MORE of an effort to go if there are new or improved things to do. If there are things being taken away and or cheapened and times are tough I am more inclined to wait it out and postpone a trip. Trails end is a good example, due to cuts in the quantity and quality of items we go much less often, now I am only one person but I do know that others have noticed it and also go less frequently :confused3

I am thinking we will do a breakfast, lunch and dinner and let it go at that. I want to experience all the meals it has to offer at least once but that will be it. We usually go a few times for dinner and lunch during our two week stay but this time will just do it once each. i'll be there in two weeks so i'll report back!

We all love Ken. Ken can't control the food though!;)

True, he can only control the SWEET TEA! speaking of which, i think i'll take my iced tea brewer with me to save a few bucks. If they had the old refillable resort specific mugs, i would just buy one of those. Don't really care for the generic blue mugs they have now.

Ken is definintely one of the best things that TE has going for it.
We had Ken as our server a year ago and it was lots of fun chatting with him, he is a wonderful person.

Breakfast seem to be the best value for our clan. We are all big breakfast eaters and usually skip lunch on the day we eat at TE. IIRC the last 2 times we ate there was breakfast. On a side note, dont let a 14 y/o eat a whole plate of bacon before departing on an 1100 mile return trip :scared1:

OMG...what a visual of the 14 year old and eating an entire plate of bacon. Sounds like something one of mine would do. Yikes, I'm sure that was misery.

Ken is definintely one of the best things that TE has going for it.
I only hope that Ken doesn't "up and retire" on us anytime soon. Rumor has it that "Mean Gene" is retiring this month. (I heard this from a reliable Pwincess!:rotfl2: )

Back to T.E. subject.... everyone should enjoy the experience at least one time. If you get Ken, Donelle, or Joy as a server, it really completes the visit!

Debbie,

give me a description of Mean Gene...I'm trying to put a face on him.

And,,,I agree with TE breakfast being the way to go as opposed to dinner..

Debbie,

give me a description of Mean Gene...I'm trying to put a face on him.

And,,,I agree with TE breakfast being the way to go as opposed to dinner..

Gene usually works nights, I'm not sure what his "exact" title is. He's mid-late 50's, medium height (5'9" - 5'11") average weight, light brown hair. He drives one of the chevy pick-up's around the loops looking for errant vehicles parked on grass, or two vehicles to a site. He always wears a straw cowboy hat. He LOVES to put those nasty notes on vehicles that are parked on grass or on extra vehicles. On major holiday's you can find him either behind the 300 loop or near the beach making sure no golf carts go where they shouldn't be.

All in all, he's really a nice guy - takes himself a little too seriously, but nice never the less. The "Mean Gene" moniker came from his liberally giving parking warnings.

He's been a Fort CM since about a year after FtW opened. I have seen him help a lot of people that were having trouble getting into their sites and/or having problems with their rigs.

Most of the long-time CM's at the Fort are starting to retire, or have already retired, and some of the new ones just aren't as conciensious <sp>. The old ones "took ownership" of the place and worked as if FtW was their very own business. Some of the newer CM's are just working for the paycheck & don't seem concerned with the over-all Disney experience for the Guests. Then again, if I had a job that was $0.25 over minimum wage, I probably wouldn't bust my butt, either.

Thanks. I am going to look for him and see if I can pick him out based on your description.

As a side note...I agree with you about the pay issue, but its sad that younger people today do not take pride in their work, instead only worry about what are you doing for me. That's what I think has always made things at Disney different from other parks, say like Six Flags where they employ a lot of kids, etc...

And....in reference to my earlier question about the pizza........I don't think I will try it based on everybody's description......YUCK!
And as Scott said, I think you can do better with some of the frozen varieties out there today.

We think the food at Trails End is horrible and the worst buffet food we have ever had.:eek: It is a waste of money especially if you are camping. You can make a hot dog on the grill look like a gourmet meal compared to the dinner buffet at TE! After our meal in January, we will save our money and eat at the camper or go to other more worthy Disney restaurants...if there are any left after all of the cut-backs!:confused3

And along with that opinion comes the fact that I am very regular...today!:thumbsup2

Ate there for lunch on the day we arrived and it was "ok"-nothing really great, but we thought it was because it was so crowded and they couldn't keep up. Opted for the breakfast buffet on the other days that we chose to eat out (although one day the oatmeal was like soup) as it was a better value and the food selection was better.

I know this thread is over a month old, but has anyone experienced the new lunch menu at Trails End? I read that they are now only serving cold cuts, soup and salad during lunch hours now. We always go to Trails End for lunch on our first day at Disney and have loved their hot buffet items. Especially the one item that is always different and somewhat non-matching with the typical fare. When we were there in March is was some sort of tortilla chicken bake thing...YUMMY! I'm drooling just thinking about it. We are headed back in November and I am keeping my fingers crossed that by then they will have decided to put hot items back for lunch. Has anyone been there since the change took place? Thanks!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter