Top 3 (or more) favorite things to do -- that AREN'T rides!

What a great thread! So many ideas for our next trip already.

My three are:

1) Seeing the bears come out and do line dancing in MK

2) Eating and drinking our way around the world at Epcot, enjoying the complete change of pace that part of the park allows you to enjoy

3) The Tiki Room at MK. This is is one of the first things we did at a Disney and it made us realise this place was fun, bonkers and right up our alley!

3 of our family's favorites :
1. Participating in all the activities and earning all the badges of the Wilderness Explorers Notebook in AK that allow you to discover all of the park (except Pandora).
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/attractions/animal-kingdom/wilderness-explorers/
2. Buying the Epcot passport and then filling it with great memories (autographs and stickers) in each station of the 11 countries thanks to the great local CM.
3. Exploring Tom Sawyer's Island at MK, its fort, its mines, its mill, ...
And as a BONUS : Resting in a dark booth listening quietly to the wonderful Song of the Rainforest at Rafiki's Planet Watch (Conservation Station).
WE now includes pandora! :)

1. Walking IN to MK, when everyone else is walking OUT, or at least it felt that way. This happens if you return to MK on nights when MK has extended hours, an you return just when the fireworks/evening parades finish and the throngs are leaving.

2. Discovering something unexpected for the first time. Why I tell folks not to NEVER watch videos of WDW before you go. It ruins the surprise/discovery. Also try not to over plan. If your toddler is mesmerized by a water fountain or garden, try to relax and enjoy the moment instead of rushing to the next thing whenever possible. (though there are a few times where being quick/early = a much shorter wait, see #3.)

3. Any time we're able to zig when everyone else zags, and therefore avoid a long wait. Though we aim to arrive near rope drop, we don't like being in the rope drop running of the bulls. We just don't enjoy how aggressive/rude some folks get. So we don't like being IN the rush. What I mean is things like eatin a quick serve lunch at an off-time, when there are no lines. Sometimes just finding a quiet park bench is great fun.

Last edited:

Love this question!

1. Listening to the piano player at Casey’s Corner while we eat outside.
2. Leaping fountains at the Imagination pavilion.
3. Getting a piece of candy at the Confectionery and enjoying the sights and sounds of Main St.

I have so many more! So hard to pick 3.

From our latest trip last October (I'm cheating and listing 3 for each park except DHS):

1. The Muppets show in Liberty Square at Magic Kingdom, browsing shops on Main Street, Festival of Fantasy parade
2. Watching the musicians with a glass of wine at Animal Kingdom, Nomad Lounge at Animal Kingdom, Tree of Life at Animal Kingdom
3. Eating at Epcot. Drinking at Epcot.

I'm going to try to pick 3 that haven't already been mentioned. I skimmed, sorry if I duplicate!

1. Watching the glass being made at Crystal Arts on Main Street in the Magic Kingdom

2. Listening to the musicians in the Africa section of Animal Kingdom (I got to play drums with them once! :D Made my day.)

3. L'Artisan de Glace in the France Pavilion at Epcot

Duplicates are perfect actually !

I knew about doing a monorail tour, but never would have done it until so many people put it as one of their top 3.

Duplicates are perfect actually !

I knew about doing a monorail tour, but never would have done it until so many people put it as one of their top 3.

Got it! The three I mentioned are still in the top for me. Add Tiki Birds and Animal Kingdom trails to make it a top 5. (I know...you asked for three...)

SOOOO many to choose from...but
1- my absolute favorite thing is the castle when it's all lit up at night / Changes colors. When we go near holidays it is "iced" and absolutely beautiful. It always makes me sentimental to be in the MK at night!
2-.that 1st walk down Main St USA when we get to MK for the 1st time since last vaca. I swear I can FEEL myself disconnect from work & stress at that moment!
3- I know you said no rides, but I'm gonna say the PPl Mover at night, not because of.the ride (which many skip cuz it's low key) but because of ambience. All the lights of Tomorrowland plus castle. It's so festive & cool to view.

1. Looking for Disney World from the plane. I can usually find the big ball. I did see Space Mountain when we left last trip.

2. Getting an assortment of desserts with our snack credits and having a dessert buffet at night.

3. Watching the fireworks from our Bay Lake Tower balcony.

One I didn't see mentioned that my kids love, sorcerers of the magic kingdom, collecting cards and activating secrets around the park.

1. The live shows - HDDR, FOTL, and BatB are favorites but we try to see as many as we can.
2. Leisurely strolling through WS after Illuminations.
3. Staying in the parks after huge rain storms have passed and so many people have left.

Walking down Main Street 45 minutes after MK has 'closed' (hop in mine train line or order at Casey's 5 minutes before closing to make it feel legit).

Randomly finding Hidden Mickeys without actually looking for them.

Dapper Dans & Voices of Liberty

Last mother-daughter trip in 2017 we attempted to hit as many of the game arcades at different resorts as possible. We will hit a few more next trip. It was an adventure and great time together. Yes, I will kick her 13-year-old backside on a classic pinball machine if I am given that chance.:hippie:

Actually, it is how we discovered Trader Sam's at the Poly. Seems they got rid of the old arcade for the venue. (The Poly does not currently have an arcade. :( ) Well, we sat outside as she was too young to go inside and -- the electric water parade started and then the fireworks. Add a nice beverage and pot stickers and we have my daughter's favorite moment from the trip.

1) British Revolution Band in UK showcase Epcot with a drink in hand from the pub.
2) playing cards in the hotel lounge during a thunderstorm.
3) sitting on the Poly beach and watching the ELWP on the lake.

I like the shows that pop up. Although many are scheduled, we don't usually plan our days around them and rely on dumb luck to run into one. On our trip a couple weeks ago, we ran into the Vikings in Norway, the balancing act in France, the French Canadian band in Canada (All WS/EPCOT), two musicians in Africa, and the Carnivale party (AK), The Muppets, Dance Party, and Big Stage show (in MK). If you have strict schedule to beat the lines, get to your FP+ deadlines, etc... then you can miss out on the fun of just stopping to enjoy things that fall in your lap.

We were staying at the AKL so we could enjoy down time watching the animals on the savannah. Even if you are not a guest, you can stop in to walk around. It is an amazing thing to see. Sit by the fireplace with a drink, talk to the animal expert at the savannah overlook, etc..
So much of this! I’m usually very efficient and taking it slow drives me bonkers, however stumbling upon the muppets show last year was delightful. It was one of those moments that made me stop and smell the roses.

Festival of the Lion King gets me every time.

Thanks to this thread, I’m defintely going to seek out the glass shop next time.

The other MK moment I want to experience is the kiss goodnight.

-Mickey ice cream bar on a hot day
-picking out one really awesome souvenir, usually from the shops on MK's Main Street
-the electrical water pageant
-seeing the fun shirts / Disneybounds / etc that people wear to MK
-the fountain outside Journey to Imagination in Epcot that surprises you with "jumping" water
- really great improv actor CMs who are immersed in their character
-talking to honeymooners. They come from all over the world to honeymoon at Disney and they're always so cute and happy!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter