Tonga Toast argument...am I crazy?

I eat my Mickey Waffles sans syrup. Just plain ole butter (and I want real butter, I know I'm a pain! Lol) I just don't like "pancake syrup"! Although, the cinnamon sugar mixture sounds decent. How'd you get cinnamon? (You brought it along, didn't you???)
And you're correct about Cali Grill, they did have the "real deal".

I love pancake syrup! I have to buy maple syrup for the rest of the family though.

Last edited:
Why would Kona just hand a non customer a tub of compote for free? Like, what? I cannot think of any restaurant that would accommodate a request like that at the host stand.

Most restaurants with any sense of good customer service would honor a small cup of a side condiment for free, especially if it’s a relatively insignificant component to a signature dish that might bring the guest back as a paying customer.

Nobody said “tub”.

There is no such thing as a "WDW customer." The restaurants in the hotels have their own profit margins, separate from each other, separate from the rest of the hotel, and separate from the theme parks. If he is buying his meal at Captain Cooks, he is a customer of Captain Cooks.

They are all overseen by WDW resorts and parks though unless they’re owned by a third party like Landry’s, which Kona Cafe is not. Those profit margins all go to the same place...

Last edited:
We stayed CL @ GF and the cinnamon shaker is next to the coffee machine.
Hehehe to bringing it along! Still you have to do what's needed;).
Omygoodness, yes you're right. They have the cinnamon shaker next to all those dances dancy Nescafe Espresso makers at CL. Not sure they have them at the restaurants, but if ordering Mickey Waffles, I'll bet I could ask! So smart!

I prefer Log Cabin to real maple syrup. Go ahead and tar and feather me. I only like this brand, though.

I find real maple syrup to be sickly sweet, and I cannot tolerate it at all. I have tried so many versions of it and it all makes my throat feel all scratchy and my teeth hurt. I hate it. I also HATE the watery texture of it when it is warmed up.
I won't "tar and feather" you. Lol. Everyone has their own tastes.
It IS very sweet. I think that's why I need such a small amount on my waffles/pancakes/French toast. But I grew up in upstate NY, so I never even tasted "pancake syrup" until I was probably 30.
I personally love real maple syrup, with real butter, on a crusty hot, soft fluffy inside waffle. Yum!

I think the tonga toast needs the compote. Bringing your own isn't any stranger than the couple I saw at DAK who brought a backpack filled with plastic deli tubs to have a picnic lunch.

I've eaten at Capn' Cooks lots of times and I honestly can tell you that I have never paid any attention to what the people at the tables around me are doing. If you had a small container of compote at your table to put on your Tonga Toast, I doubt anyone would even notice.

I think that if you can make this happen, and it'll make you happy, then rock on with your compote. I've never had it. But your level of enthusiasm has me intrigued. I'm thinking that now you almost have to do it - and then report back to all of us (with photos) lol.

I'd read so much about the Tonga toast a few years ago that I thought I should try it. It wasn't what I was expecting. I had a few bites and didn't really like it at all. I hated the feeling of crunchy sugar coating between my teeth and it was too sweet overall. Then I put the strawberry compote on just to try to dissolve some of that sugar. I wish they gave you twice as much of it. Three times as much of it. By the end, I was scraping it out as much as possible. There's a slight tartness to it which downplays some of the overt sweetness of the dish. IMO, if you don't have the strawberry compote, there's just no point to ordering Tonga toast. I could pour that stuff onto waffles, put it on cereal, put it on ice cream, eat it on its own. It's the absolute best part of Tonga toast. If you are able to make your own and it's as good as, then go for it. I just know that I have been unable to duplicate it myself. Mine is OK but it's not the same. It's not just cooked down strawberries - there's something else in it or their strawberries are better than mine!

Last edited:
I'd read so much about the Tonga toast a few years ago that I thought I should try it. It wasn't what I was expecting. I had a few bites and didn't really like it at all. I hated the feeling of crunchy sugar coating between my teeth and it was too sweet overall. Then I put the strawberry compote on just to try to dissolve some of that sugar. I wish they gave you twice as much of it. Three times as much of it. By the end, I was scraping it out as much as possible. There's a slight tartness to it which downplays some of the overt sweetness of the dish. IMO, if you don't have the strawberry compote, there's just no point to ordering Tonga toast. I could pour that stuff onto waffles, put it on cereal, put it on ice cream, eat it on its own. It's the absolute best part of Tonga toast. If you are able to make your own and it's as good as, then go for it. I just know that I have been unable to duplicate it myself. Mine is OK but it's not the same. It's not just cooked down strawberries - there's something else in it or their strawberries are better than mine!

Try adding a little acid to it - lemon juice. That might help your homemade recipe. ;)

If you order the regular Tonga Toast that come with the "regular" compote, it has some form of dairy in it as well (how I know this; if you tell them you don't "do" dairy, they have to make vegan strawberry compote special for the order).

If you order the regular Tonga Toast that come with the "regular" compote, it has some form of dairy in it as well (how I know this; if you tell them you don't "do" dairy, they have to make vegan strawberry compote special for the order).

It probably has a little butter in it.

I'm guessing it has either some heavy cream or half and half in it, to stabilize it and keep it somewhat creamy. Every picture I've seen, it looks very light pink and creamy, not dark red like you'd expect from, like, a strawberry compote topping for cheesecake.

Pretend maple syrup is sacrilegious crazy brew. Once you've had the real stuff....the imitation stuff is brown sugar water. Kids, log cabin and aunt jemima is NOT the good stuff. :teeth:

I was raised by an upstate NY mom and I still don’t really like real maple syrup. Drove her nuts. So I only happily used syrup at my dad’s. He’s from Denver lol.

Then my son ends up with an extreme sensitivity to anything corn syrup related. There goes the junky syrup!

Somewhere at WDW maple syrup is available...maybe BWI or CG?

The two places I’ve asked for and received real syrup are at Kona and....suddenly not remembering the name of it...the character breakfast everyone hates at DHS.

I have tried so many versions of it and it all makes my throat feel all scratchy and my teeth hurt. I hate it.

Are you allergic to trees in general?

There is no such thing as a "WDW customer." The restaurants in the hotels have their own profit margins, separate from each other, separate from the rest of the hotel, and separate from the theme parks. If he is buying his meal at Captain Cooks, he is a customer of Captain Cooks.

But that’s not how most of Disney’s restaurants behave.

Just got back from a great trip (besides the unusually cold weather). While I brought along the compote, I took my Tonga Toast to go and applied it in the room rather than carrying it into the restaurant. I had this for 3 breakfasts (and my wife also used it once or twice despite her prior objections). While not as good as Kona's, it was still quite tasty and definitely a necessary addition. :)

upload_2019-1-31_12-10-4.jpeg

Just got back from a great trip (besides the unusually cold weather). While I brought along the compote, I took my Tonga Toast to go and applied it in the room rather than carrying it into the restaurant. I had this for 3 breakfasts (and my wife also used it once or twice despite her prior objections). While not as good as Kona's, it was still quite tasty and definitely a necessary addition. :)

View attachment 379494
:cool:
What recipe did you use?

View attachment 379494
Prior objections. Hmmmph.

:teeth:

My wife and I would appreciate if if you would be so kind as settle an argument between us.

We are leaving for Poly later this week. While we will be doing a few sit down meals this trip, the majority of our meals will be QS. Now, one of my favorite things about Poly is the ever popular Tonga toast. However, in my opinion it isn't nearly as good at Captain Cook's because it lacks the strawberry compote that you get at Kona Cafe. So I am planning on making and bringing my own compote to add to my Tonga toast in the morning for breakfast.

My wife insists that this is absolutely absurd and no one else would ever go to such extremes for a little strawberry sauce. Because I respect the opinions of this forum, I agreed to post and let the community weigh in. So, am I completely crazy or am I just a fan who is looking forward to one of his favorite Disney delicacies and wants it to be just right?
Definitely not crazy! Without the strawberry sauce, it is NOT GOOD.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter