Tonga Toast argument...am I crazy?

disdad19

Earning My Ears
My wife and I would appreciate if if you would be so kind as settle an argument between us.

We are leaving for Poly later this week. While we will be doing a few sit down meals this trip, the majority of our meals will be QS. Now, one of my favorite things about Poly is the ever popular Tonga toast. However, in my opinion it isn't nearly as good at Captain Cook's because it lacks the strawberry compote that you get at Kona Cafe. So I am planning on making and bringing my own compote to add to my Tonga toast in the morning for breakfast.

My wife insists that this is absolutely absurd and no one else would ever go to such extremes for a little strawberry sauce. Because I respect the opinions of this forum, I agreed to post and let the community weigh in. So, am I completely crazy or am I just a fan who is looking forward to one of his favorite Disney delicacies and wants it to be just right?

My wife and I would appreciate if if you would be so kind as settle an argument between us.

We are leaving for Poly later this week. While we will be doing a few sit down meals this trip, the majority of our meals will be QS. Now, one of my favorite things about Poly is the ever popular Tonga toast. However, in my opinion it isn't nearly as good at Captain Cook's because it lacks the strawberry compote that you get at Kona Cafe. So I am planning on making and bringing my own compote to add to my Tonga toast in the morning for breakfast.

My wife insists that this is absolutely absurd and no one else would ever go to such extremes for a little strawberry sauce. Because I respect the opinions of this forum, I agreed to post and let the community weigh in. So, am I completely crazy or am I just a fan who is looking forward to one of his favorite Disney delicacies and wants it to be just right?

If that’s what you love? Why not? :)

To me it does seem a little strange, but to each his own. I personally would either just eat at Kona, ask for a side of strawberry compote at the QS, or choose something else at QS.

My wife insists that this is absolutely absurd and no one else would ever go to such extremes for a little strawberry sauce.
Well, technically, she might be right - but just technically. People go to extremes when it comes to anything Disney. I'm sure other visitors have made and brought a "must-have".

Have not eaten there in nearly two years, but you used to could get the strawberry sauce at CC's. It used to be a choice for topping your waffles, and you could get some for your Tonga Toast, too.

I made my own lemon curd, so making your own compote isn't strange to me at all. Plus you'll get to have a direct say in how sweet it is, or perhaps make your own special addition.... like a hibiscus, pineapple and mango topping.

I’m w your wife on this one. But I did not like the compote either so...

I think it’s totally fine. Some dishes aren’t good unless they have all of the components that we like. If it saves you some $ to do the QS version and bring your own sauce, that sounds perfectly normal to me!

I like the strawberry sauce, but not ON the Tonga Toast, so I wouldn't personally worry about it. I also wouldn't bring my own unless I seriously preferred it to what you can get on site. I'd just ask CC if they could get some for me, or go to Kona and ask. Or I'd just book breakfast at Kona.

I want to agree with your wife, but honestly, I've seen people do way more extreme things, so a little sauce is nothing.

Here's some controversy, I don't like Tonga Toast. Way too sweet for a "main meal". I wouldn't mind a bite of it along with my eggs and bacon, but it makes my stomach hurt to have just that.

Here's some controversy, I don't like Tonga Toast. Way too sweet for a "main meal". I wouldn't mind a bite of it along with my eggs and bacon, but it makes my stomach hurt to have just that.

I'm with you. I have never been a fan of the Tonga toast.

I love it! Yes, bring your compote! I don't think it's absurd at all. Plenty of people bring food-stuffs from home that they particularly love and can't get at WDW (specific sweeteners, flavored powders for water, etc.). I think it's awesome you are making your own compote!

Tonga Toast is a must for me every year, it is part of my Disney Experience. If that's what makes it special for you I would definitely bring it with me.

If you are going to do it, go for it. If it is worth it to you, then it is worth it. If on the other hand, when you say you will make and bring you mean it like my husband does when he says that (I will expect my wife to make it and bring it in her purse), well that is a whole other question.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!