Tonga Toast argument...am I crazy?

Last few times we stayed at the Poly, the Tonga Toast from Captain Cooks was actually far superior to the one at Kona and more than half the price less. It was fresher, warmer and had more banana filling. If it's important for you to have the strawberry sauce, just go to the podium and ask for little cup of it. I'm sure they won't say no.

Here's some controversy, I don't like Tonga Toast. Way too sweet for a "main meal". I wouldn't mind a bite of it along with my eggs and bacon, but it makes my stomach hurt to have just that.

I'm with you. I have never been a fan of the Tonga toast.

Third that. Don’t like bananas much and if it’s not a doughnut or cinnamon roll I’d rather not have sweet for breakfast.

I had Tonga Toast for the first time in September. It was pretty good, but I didn't love it. I don't like bananas in stuff (alone and a bit on the green side is how I prefer them), and that much sweetness at breakfast is gross to me. I didn't even use syrup or toppings on mine. That being said, my husband LOVED it, and wants to take the kids to Captain Cook's for some in September. They'll love it, but there's no way they can each tuck away a full order by themselves without being sick afterward.

To me it does seem a little strange, but to each his own. I personally would either just eat at Kona, ask for a side of strawberry compote at the QS, or choose something else at QS.
Getting something else isnt an option here. They are getting Tonga Toast. The question is whether or not he's crazy to bring his own strawberry compote. ;)

OP, I dont think there's anything wrong with bringing your own strawberry compote. I would probably ask Kona if they'd give you some compote in a small cup first though. :) If they say no (which i doubt they will), then at least you have your own as a back up. Tonga toast is so good! I dont blame you for going to great lengths to eat what you want. I'd do the same.

I'm with those who think that asking for some compote at Kona will probably work. It's Disney World, they've been asked all kinds of questions, I think a request for compote would not be a biggie.

The OP's question makes me wonder of there's a substantial demand for this. I could see myself selling unauthorized compote in the Poly lobby as a lucrative side hustle.:smooth:

It's absurd!!!! You can bring your own jam, jelly maybe even preserves. Definitely you can bring a stick of butter. But no man should be making compote! :scared1:

Why would Kona just hand a non customer a tub of compote for free? Like, what? I cannot think of any restaurant that would accommodate a request like that at the host stand.

OP, make your own compote, go ahead. It's not that big of a deal, assuming you have a way to keep It refrigerated. Since compote is made with cooked fruit, it needs to be kept cold.

I bring my own jam to breakfast everywhere, lol!
I bring those little Tupperware containers and put my daily ration of homemade jam in it, I eat, and then clean out the container in the bathroom. It then fits very nicely in my bag. (I use one of those non disposable sandwich bags to put it in, in case I can't clean it very well.)
You are not crazy, or absurd. We all have certain foods we would miss if not available.

If you are going to do it, go for it. If it is worth it to you, then it is worth it. If on the other hand, when you say you will make and bring you mean it like my husband does when he says that (I will expect my wife to make it and bring it in her purse), well that is a whole other question.
:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2:

Why would Kona just hand a non customer a tub of compote for free? Like, what? I cannot think of any restaurant that would accommodate a request like that at the host stand.
I would agree with you under just about any other circumstance, but in this case he is a customer...a WDW customer. If Kona makes the compote fresh daily and it's in limited supply, they probably wouldn't do it. But I'm guessing, like most other items at Disney eateries, it probably comes in an industrial size drum. If the Kona CMs aren't just slammed with guests I think there's a good chance they'd do it. If he were requesting lobster tails or prime rib that'd be a different story.:)

Meanwhile I'll be in the lobby sporting a hat and shades wearing a red lei. Anyone looking for compote, just say "Tonga Toast is berry good." I'll hook you up, the first styrofoam cup is free.:cool2:

Pretend maple syrup is sacrilegious crazy brew. Once you've had the real stuff....the imitation stuff is brown sugar water. Kids, log cabin and aunt jemima is NOT the good stuff. :teeth:
Please add that abomination from Hades to the list- Mrs. Butterworth. Just wrong on soooo many levels.
Somewhere at WDW maple syrup is available...maybe BWI or CG? I know it's not at GF and that gave the hotel 2 demerits in my eyes. Had to make a butter and raw/Turbinado sugar with cinnamon mixture for my Mickey waffles.

Please add that abomination from Hades to the list- Mrs. Butterworth. Just wrong on soooo many levels.
Somewhere at WDW maple syrup is available...maybe BWI or CG? I know it's not at GF and that gave the hotel 2 demerits in my eyes. Had to make a butter and raw/Turbinado sugar with cinnamon mixture for my Mickey waffles.
I eat my Mickey Waffles sans syrup. Just plain ole butter (and I want real butter, I know I'm a pain! Lol) I just don't like "pancake syrup"! Although, the cinnamon sugar mixture sounds decent. How'd you get cinnamon? (You brought it along, didn't you???)
And you're correct about Cali Grill, they did have the "real deal".

Take your own compote, and don't bat an eye - nothing, nothing wrong with it. Some things need your extra touch to be 'perfect'! We always take our cajun seasoning with us to liven up bland dishes!!

I make a better taco sauce than Taco Bell, but I wouldn't sit down at a Taco Bell and pull out a little bottle of it. I have to wonder, if you like Kona's toast better than CC, why not eat there?

Bringing food to eat at a restaurant is generally taboo, etiquette wise. Even so, I'm having a hard time begrudging you this indulgence.

I eat my Mickey Waffles sans syrup. Just plain ole butter (and I want real butter, I know I'm a pain! Lol) I just don't like "pancake syrup"! Although, the cinnamon sugar mixture sounds decent. How'd you get cinnamon? (You brought it along, didn't you???)
And you're correct about Cali Grill, they did have the "real deal".
We stayed CL @ GF and the cinnamon shaker is next to the coffee machine.
Hehehe to bringing it along! Still you have to do what's needed;).

I prefer Log Cabin to real maple syrup. Go ahead and tar and feather me. I only like this brand, though.

I find real maple syrup to be sickly sweet, and I cannot tolerate it at all. I have tried so many versions of it and it all makes my throat feel all scratchy and my teeth hurt. I hate it. I also HATE the watery texture of it when it is warmed up.

I would agree with you under just about any other circumstance, but in this case he is a customer...a WDW customer:

There is no such thing as a "WDW customer." The restaurants in the hotels have their own profit margins, separate from each other, separate from the rest of the hotel, and separate from the theme parks. If he is buying his meal at Captain Cooks, he is a customer of Captain Cooks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter