If I goto a ticket window to buy a DVC ap with the intent not to activate it till dec 2018 I can or can’t not use an unused 2 day ticket to offset the cost

You can.
The value that ticket will have in the upgrade (that's what it is, an "upgrade")
can be affected by when that ticket was minted (printed, created) by Disney and from whom you bought it.

You want to ask to purchase an AP "certificate," and not an activated AP.

Thanks Robo !!!!!
It is a ticket we got with free dining back last fall ... I only expect to get what I paid for it. It is so nice we can use those towards AP's :-)

Last edited:
Thanks Robo !!!!!
It is a ticket we got with free dining back last fall ... I only expect to get what I paid for it. It is so nice we can use those towards AP's :-)

"Last" Fall, meaning 2017?

It's kind of confusing to say "what I paid for it," as that info for "package tickets" is not available to guests.
But, the value that you should expect to get for the ticket is what the on-line price was for
that same kind of ticket when you booked your trip.

Last edited:
"Last" Fall, meaning 2017?

It's kind of confusing to say "what I paid for it," as that info for "package tickets" is not available to guests.
But, the value that you should expect to get for the ticket is what the on-line price was for
that same kind of ticket when you booked your trip.

Hey Robo - so your line about "info on package tickets not being available to guests" has me thinking...we have a resort package with room for 6 nights and 6 day base tickets for January 2018. I will most likely upgrade to an AP at some point during our trip, and I was just assuming that the amount that would be applied towards the AP ticket would be what the online price is for a 6 day base ticket through Disney. Is this not the case, it could be less, since it was part of a package? From talking to CMs over the phone and my own calculations, it looks like the room was discounted 15% but there was no discount on the tickets, but I guess I could be wrong?

we have a resort package with room for 6 nights and 6 day base tickets for January 2018. I will most likely upgrade to an AP at some point during our trip, and
1. I was just assuming that the amount that would be applied towards the AP ticket would be what the online price is for a 6 day base ticket through Disney.
2. Is this not the case,
3. it could be less, since it was part of a package?
4. From talking to CMs over the phone and my own calculations, it looks like the room was discounted 15% but there was no discount on the tickets, but I guess I could be wrong?
1. If the price of tickets does not go up before your trip, that's correct.
2. It is. (The current on-line price.)
3. Guests do not see what the actual ticket price is when tickets are bought as part of a package.
(That's between the Disney resort and Disney Ticketing.)
4. It doesn't matter, however.
For the purpose of upgrading, it doesn't matter what you actually paid for the package tickets,
it only matters what was the cost of those same kind of tickets, on-line, at the time you booked your package.

BTW, is there a reason why you booked your tickets as part of your resort package?
Was purchasing tickets required in order to get some kind of "special?"

Last edited:
1. If the price of tickets does not go up before your trip, that's correct.
2. It is. (The current on-line price.)
3. Guests do not see what the actual ticket price is when tickets are bought as part of a package.
(That's between the Disney resort and Disney Ticketing.)
4. It doesn't matter, however.
For the purpose of upgrading, it doesn't matter what you actually paid for the package tickets,
it only matters what was the cost of those same kind of tickets, on-line, at the time you booked your package.

BTW, is there a reason why you booked your tickets as part of your resort package?
Was purchasing tickets required in order to get some kind of "special?"

Nothing but the pure joy of "convenience". But seriously, no, just saw that there was a discount offer and booked a package through it, didn't receive anything additional for doing so. Later on, after research and plenty of good information from these boards (especially you, Robo, thanks!), I found out that I could have just booked the room at a discount and purchased tickets separately, and probably even saved $80 or so from UT. But that was after I booked the FPs, and the trouble of rebooking a room, getting the tickets through UT and linking them to MDE, and then cancelling the original package reservation seemed like too much trouble. I'm sure my FPs would have remained intact, but live and learn, i guess...

Nothing but the pure joy of "convenience". But seriously, no, just saw that there was a discount offer and booked a package through it, didn't receive anything additional for doing so. Later on, after research and plenty of good information from these boards (especially you, Robo, thanks!), I found out that I could have just booked the room at a discount and purchased tickets separately, and probably even saved $80 or so from UT. But that was after I booked the FPs, and the trouble of rebooking a room, getting the tickets through UT and linking them to MDE, and then cancelling the original package reservation seemed like too much trouble. I'm sure my FPs would have remained intact, but live and learn, i guess...

Not just the savings of buying from a discounter, but even if you paid full price for the tickets, if they were
not connected to a resort stay, you could have the tickets "available."
So, if you decided to move your trip a day or more earlier,
you could re-book advance FP+ for those earlier days.
But, if the tickets are connected to a resort stay, you're not able
to book advance FP+ any earlier than your original check-in date.
A "package" just makes the tickets less flexible.
(I'm stating this for those following along.)

As always, thanks for everything Robo.

One question as I don't have experience with this type of upgrade. If you have a ticket with the water park add on (Pre 2017 price increase) can it be upgraded to a non water park ticket, provided the new ticket is more expensive (e.g., By adding days)

As always, thanks for everything Robo.

One question as I don't have experience with this type of upgrade. If you have a ticket with the water park add on (Pre 2017 price increase) can it be upgraded to a non water park ticket, provided the new ticket is more expensive (e.g., By adding days)

Yes.
(This is true as long as none of the Water Park or More options have been used.)

Could someone tell me the cost for upgrading a base ticket to a PH?

Is the price difference the exact same difference as it would be if I bought the tickets ahead of time? For example, per Mousesavers, a 6-day adult base ticket is now $436.65 and a 6-day adult PH is $516.53. This would lead me to believe--perhaps incorrectly--that upgrading the 6-day base ticket to a PH would cost me $79.88. I usually buy PHs but am thinking of saving some money this time. Thanks!

Could someone tell me the cost for upgrading a base ticket to a PH?

Is the price difference the exact same difference as it would be if I bought the tickets ahead of time? For example, per Mousesavers, a 6-day adult base ticket is now $436.65 and a 6-day adult PH is $516.53. This would lead me to believe--perhaps incorrectly--that upgrading the 6-day base ticket to a PH would cost me $79.88. I usually buy PHs but am thinking of saving some money this time. Thanks!
When and from whom did you buy your current tickets?

When and from whom did you buy your current tickets?

I haven't bought them yet, but I'm probably going to buy them from UT, since their prices are good--at least today they were!

Thanks so much, Robo--and I love your Christmas decorations!

I haven't bought them yet, but I'm probably going to buy them from UT, since their prices are good--at least today they were!

Thanks so much, Robo--and I love your Christmas decorations!

Thanks for the kind words about our decorations.
We have our extended family over every year for dinner and opening presents.
We're the "Disney People" in our family.

When upgrading a "current" ticket bought from an authorized ticket reseller (like UT,)
it does not matter what you actually paid for the discounted ticket.
Instead, to determine the cost of upgrading a "current" ticket bought from an authorized ticket reseller (like UT,)
look up Disney's on-line price HERE of a new ticket of the same kind (number of days & features) as the one you have.
Subtract it's Disney on-line price from the current Disney on-line price HERE of the ticket to which you want to upgrade.
You would pay that difference price for the upgrade.

Thanks for the kind words about our decorations.
We have our extended family over every year for dinner and opening presents.
We're the "Disney People" in our family.

When upgrading a "current" ticket bought from an authorized ticket reseller (like UT,)
it does not matter what you actually paid for the discounted ticket.
Instead, to determine the cost of upgrading a "current" ticket bought from an authorized ticket reseller (like UT,)
look up Disney's on-line price HERE of a new ticket of the same kind (number of days & features) as the one you have.
Subtract it's Disney on-line price from the current Disney on-line price HERE of the ticket to which you want to upgrade.
You would pay that difference price for the upgrade.

Thanks so much, Robo! And hope you had a great day yesterday and a happy Boxing Day today.

The price difference between a base ticket and a PH for both a 4- and a 6-day ticket is about $75, which, with tax, is probably about $79. Which is what I'd estimated. Now I just have to decide if I'm going to get hoppers for this trip.

is there a pass that covers all 4 theme parks? I'm taking my family there in March. Staying for about a week, is 1 whole day at each park good enough to get the full experience?

is there a pass that covers all 4 theme parks? I'm taking my family there in March. Staying for about a week, is 1 whole day at each park good enough to get the full experience?

With a multiday ticket and the park hopper option, you can go to all 4 major parks however you like. Many people like to spend multiple days at MK or Epcot especially.

Animal kingdom and Hollywood studios not worth our time? We're coming from Los Angeles and were wondering if hollywood studios is like california adventure?

Animal kingdom and Hollywood studios not worth our time? We're coming from Los Angeles and were wondering if hollywood studios is like california adventure?

Sort of. I would recommend each park at least once, but that’s obviously up to you. I’d read up on what each has to offer and go from there.

Actually, other than the "look" being somewhat similar (and really, not all THAT similar) there are very, very few things common to both DCA and DHS.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter