This is us..

Yup, when he pulled out the Marlboro's i was like , "HUH?" Then when he started smoking and they panned around the waiting room, it clicked.

Also, when she put the blanket over her brother after he passed out on the couch, there was a photo of the three of them, the manny (Kevin I think), Kate, and Randall. I was confused as to how they knew each other until the very last scene where it showed the three babies and I remember Randall saying to his dad something about a couple who was at the hospital adopted him because something felt right.

The show was so good, I hope it continues. Great casting, the Dr. was amazing, as was the whole cast.

I do wonder why the connection wasn't made until the end. It makes me think maybe there is a family divide between Kevin, Kate, and Randall since they didn't talk on their birthday (except Kate and Kevin). I think maybe Randall had been emailing with them but then at the end Kevin signed a poster to one of the girls as "To my favorite niece" so maybe it was just Randall being busy with his own thing is why he wasn't talking to the other two.

Loved it! Do you think this will continue to be a flashback type of show where we will see them growing up or do you think it will just be in the present day and they will recast the parents?

I loved the couple on the date. It seemed so real. I thought the whole thing with Alan Thicke was just a little odd. Not really sure why he was needed in there.

I thought that plot device was genius - I honestly had no idea right to the very end. We loved the first episode and I'm hoping this will have "legs"...we've been looking for something similar ever since Parenthood wrapped. :woohoo:

DBFF and I said last night that this could be our new Parenthood...

Loved the opening scene as a Steelers fan, great casting the doctor was amazing1

Here is hoping that it continues to be good!

The whole triplet thing drove me nuts. There is no way someone 34 weeks pregnant with 3 babies could lay down like that without having a hard time breathing. I think it would be rare for her not to be on bedrest, and not have a scheduled c/s, even back then. Heck, back then multiples were more rare - there would have been a whole team at the birth.

And they just gave them the firehouse baby? Oops, we made a medical error that caused the death of your son, but you can have this one.

The whole triplet thing drove me nuts. There is no way someone 34 weeks pregnant with 3 babies could lay down like that without having a hard time breathing. I think it would be rare for her not to be on bedrest, and not have a scheduled c/s, even back then. Heck, back then multiples were more rare - there would have been a whole team at the birth.

And they just gave them the firehouse baby? Oops, we made a medical error that caused the death of your son, but you can have this one.

It is just a tv show , plus if all that happened the ending wouldn't have been a surprised to most of us.

I really didn't like the brother's scenes much. The whole Manny thing with Alan Thicke and his first scene with the two girls. But he was so nice with his sister.

Wasn't sure what to expect in the previews we know she lost a triplet and their birthday's connected them. Hope this one sticks around.

I was watching but also doing laundry and playing on my laptop so I totally missed that the triplets' birth was not taking place now. I was like, no chance would this couple without a home study and all kinds of clearance checks be given priority to adopt this baby! I still think it's a stretch for the 70s but it is a tv show after all. I hope that doesn't mean Mandy Moore and Jess from Gilmore girls is not going to be a regular as he was the reason I was interested.

I was wondering if they might continue the present time / flashback idea throughout the season. It could be really interesting if done correctly. I was surprised how connected I felt to the characters after just one episode. I will be watching again.

A couple of things struck me as odd as it was playing out, but I didn't really catch on until the end. I guess I'm pretty willing to suspend my disbelief! I enjoyed it and look forward to seeing more.

I figured out the twist before because I've been obsessively watching the trailers and previews over the past few months. I'm a big fan of Mandy Moore, Justin Hartley and Milo Ventimiglia, and I could not WAIT for this show to begin. It didn't disappoint. Every actor is stellar, and I imagine they'll be a big factor at the Emmy's next year for sure.

I haven't been this excited about a show in a long, long time!

Please don't read further if you haven't seen the episode...

Ok, the ending??? When it clicked for me (and I hope you know what im referring to) I totally teared up. The cigarettes were my Aha moment.

Should have known something was up when they were delivering naturally instead of a C-section but like Kimblebee, it wasn't until the smoking scene that I understood. :goodvibes

We were also questioning no c-section. Then it was the smoking and when she said her dad always said something about making something resembling lemonade. That's when the lightbulb went off!

Loved it! Do you think this will continue to be a flashback type of show where we will see them growing up or do you think it will just be in the present day and they will recast the parents?

I loved the couple on the date. It seemed so real. I thought the whole thing with Alan Thicke was just a little odd. Not really sure why he was needed in there.

It will continue with the flashbacks, Milo was on Today yesterday sporting a crazy very dated style mustache for the role LOL.

I loved it! Can't wait for next week.

Wait...so Kevin, Kate and Randall are triplets? How the heck did that go right over my head? I was genius to have Randall with a beard because beards are currently popular among lots of men so you didn't suspect that this was in the past. Cool.

Wait...so Kevin, Kate and Randall are triplets? How the heck did that go right over my head? I was genius to have Randall with a beard because beards are currently popular among lots of men so you didn't suspect that this was in the past. Cool.

SPOILERS

Yep..it was revealed near the end of the episode when the dad is looking at his babies in the hospital nursery.

Randall didn't have a beard, That was Jack. Jack is the dad of Kevin, Kate, passed away baby #3, and Randall. Kevin, Kate, and Randall all share the same exact birthday and Jack shares the same day as his three children but of course different year. Rebecca is mom of Kevin, Kate, passed away baby #3 and Randall. William is Randall's bio-dad who left him at the firehouse. Jack and Rebeca's story line is happening in the 1980 where as Randall, Kate, and Kevin start in 2016.

Last edited:
I reserve judgement of the show until I've seen more. It seemed a little touchy feely and too unrealistic for my taste so far. But I will probably give it a second week. I am trying to figure out how they are going to keep the plot going and make interesting story lines now that they already revealed the thing that ties them together.

Did anyone watch tonight? I did and OMG I can tell this is a new favourite show. It's an hour long but it felt like it lasted ten minutes..I wanted more!

I won't spoil for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, but I'll just say wow.

Come on next week!
Kim-THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS THREAD!!!!
I was going to watch, didn't-saw this thread...JUST watched in on NBC ONLINE!!!

looking back one hint is NOWADAYS a 70 something Doctor would NOT be in the high risk delivery-he'd be mandatory retired

I don't think Mandy Moore would make a long term commitment to tv???
Maybe all the Flash back scenes are done?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter