They changed the fish. . . . .

Tilapia has no taste.
That's why it's used in cooking with sauces, seasonings, etc. - it takes on the taste of what you cook it with.

Signed your friendly Tilapia Crusader! :laughing:

This post reminds me a little bit about what I saw about the Golden Arches on Nightline. It was about their popular chicken nuggets. They reported after taste testing by chefs and inside test kitchens ...that the only flavor you really taste is the outside coating and you could basically put any bland thing inside it & it would taste the same:teeth:

I watched an episode of Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern and he was in Africa. They fished Tilapia. They were huge. They grilled them and he said they were delicious and nothing like the gross crap that's farmed here.

And if Zimmern calls something “gross crap” you KNOW it’s bad!

Ahhh. Sort of like. . . tofu. :teeth:

Yay tofu!

I’m sure of one thing, if Disney’s making the switch, it’s most likely not an upgrade!

So true. I think I need that in a tattoo.

Seems likely that its simply because they just farm it from The Land. Does this mean they will change R&C soon?

We can likely get satellite images of the whole property. Do we think they have a big enough space to farm enough tilapia for Yorkshire’s daily needs?

I’ve always felt that Living with the Land’s hint that they supply the food is nonsense. The volume needed is far too large. I think that occasionally they serve something a a restaurant temporarily so they can say that. But there’s no way at they supply all for the needs.

Tilapia definitely gets a bum rap. I happen to find it delicious and have even breaded and fried it myself, so you can most definitely do that just fine. I mean, I understand the concern about eating farmed fish, but one can at least trust the tilapia that Disney farms, I feel, that they are serving in the restaurants. And Tilapia is healthy enough, for sure.

Salmon is incredibly popular and much of it is farmed as well. You can get wild, but it's more expensive and many people don't.

You can just as easily google tilapia and find tons of sites that refute the negative press it gets and prove it's bogus.

Also, why isn't flounder disgusting? Or cod? They're bottom-feeder fish and you can put out a hit-job on them too, if you want.

Anyway, I have actually enjoyed tilapia more than cod in my life. So, different strokes for different folks, I guess.

Well first that's crap because they've never had cod at the stand. It's always been a garbage fish called Pangasius. Talapia is definitely an upgrade even if it comes from gross Southeast Asian fish farms. They only serve cod at Rose & Crown.

People are reacting emotionally for sure. But hey, that's what we are here for.:dog2:

Disappointing...and not very realistically UKish.
Well, that's just another bit of info to put under my hat and think about.
Cruise? WDW? Cruise? WDW? H'mmm.....

Add me to being sad about this change. I actually like Tilapia, fillets and loins, because it's mild and takes well to other flavors plus is super fast to cook. But not for fish and chips. Just no. Unless it changes by October, I guess I will have more stomach room for Food and Wine options.

If it's not Cod, it's not really fish & chips. Thanks Disney, for finding yet another way to screw up something so simple.

Not sure about that! Great place run by a elderly couple from UK that uses Cod, Halibut, Salmon and a number of others. All great. They don't have Talapia though.

Blech, we always make sure we fit in a stop at Yorkshire, we'll be skipping it if it's tilapia. That's not traditional fish and chips.

95% of the Tilapia served in this country comes from fish farms in Asia. I'm not sure how the farms are now but years ago they were disgusting. The fish were so crowded in the ponds they could barely move around. the ponds weren't cleaned and some farmers would literally feed them chicken droppings. Most had a muddy aftertaste that I found offensive.

There is a beautiful farmed Blue Tilapia I believe from Costa Rica imported from a company called Clean Fish that is amazing. It's a much larger and thicker fillet than what most see available at their local stores. It's Night and day between that and an Asian farmed fillet. It's also 3 times more expensive.

I'm pretty sure what is being served at Yorkshire hasn't been farmed at Disney. I just don't think those tanks can produce enough fish to meet all their needs. That said I'm not too impressed with the crowded tanks I've seen during Living with the Land either. If what Disney is serving is Blue Tilapia mentioned above that would be a more acceptable change. Considering the cost though I'd highly doubt it.

I believe that Rose & Crown served cod, but Yorkshire served Vietnamese catfish. I don't know if they've changed to tilapia from the Vietnamese catfish though.

Do we even have any actual proof? We all know CMs can be a little misinformed :confused3
If the CM told the OP that it's Tilapia...and if the OP can in fact taste that its tilapia and not cod (as stated in their post), then im pretty sure the information is accurate. Also, see link below. Another guest confirms it in the yelp review.

Notice the review by Shelley? She described it as a "HUGE coating of batter around them, so it was all doughy inside. The cod itself doesn't taste great"...she clearly had no idea at that point that it was tilapia she was eating. Lol!

If the CM told the OP that it's Tilapia...and if the OP can in fact taste that its tilapia and not cod (as stated in their post), then im pretty sure the information is accurate. Also, see link below. Another guest confirms it in the yelp review.

Notice the review by Shelley? She described it as a "HUGE coating of batter around them, so it was all doughy inside. The cod itself doesn't taste great"...she clearly had no idea at that point that it was tilapia she was eating. Lol!

Not trying to discredit the poster, but CMs often do give out wrong information.

And I saw the link, thanks for pointing it out again! Very useful!

Not trying to discredit the poster, but CMs often do give out wrong information.

And I saw the link, thanks for pointing it out again! Very useful!
True, they certainly do! Ive experienced it myself. Usually CM give me wrong info on the phone though. Although in this case the OP verified the nasty fish taste.

It was not Cod, I've had Cod before and enjoyed it, what we had was not Cod.

OWD

DO you think that they changed the fish at Rose and Crown as well??

My son had fish and chips when we dined at R&C on May 7... I'm pretty sure it was cod. He said it was really good, and it was the size and thickness of cod but I'm not sure. He enjoyed it. That lunch was among our favorite dining experiences all trip... love sitting on that patio (in the shade) on a nice day.

Sigh time to switch that order from fish & chips to Corned Beef And Cabbage when we go next week. And isn't this the same manager that dropped the steak because we wasn't British enough? Sounds like another cost cutting manager.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter