They changed the fish. . . . .

Fish and chips is made with thick, wide juicy cod, have they lost their minds! It seems that Disney dining is undergoing huge temultuous changes but I don’t have to go along with it. I’m not spending my money on cheap imitation. Plenty of other places to eat.

Well first that's crap because they've never had cod at the stand. It's always been a garbage fish called Pangasius. Talapia is definitely an upgrade even if it comes from gross Southeast Asian fish farms. They only serve cod at Rose & Crown.

Well first that's crap because they've never had cod at the stand. It's always been a garbage fish called Pangasius. Talapia is definitely an upgrade even if it comes from gross Southeast Asian fish farms. They only serve cod at Rose & Crown.

I was under the impression it was the same product. I get the F&C at the Rose & Crown. Either way, I'm staying away from the stand. Fish & chips = cod.

Fish and chips is made with thick, wide juicy cod, have they lost their minds! It seems that Disney dining is undergoing huge temultuous changes but I don’t have to go along with it. I’m not spending my money on cheap imitation. Plenty of other places to eat.
Yup......
Cracker Barrel's Friday Special is fish & chips, although they call it Cod Fish Fry, and they have imported English Malt Vinegar as well.
Half of the price at the R&C.

In a lot of UK fish and chip shops, there's normally a cheaper alternative on the menu in addition to cod such as haddock or plaice. Why could disney go for one of these. At least then its still a little bit authentic!

In a lot of UK fish and chip shops, there's normally a cheaper alternative on the menu in addition to cod such as haddock or plaice. Why could disney go for one of these. At least then its still a little bit authentic!

I'm just going to go out on a limb and guess that they're banking on the fact that most visitors aren't familiar enough with the dish to recognize the difference. Cod seems difficult to source. I bought some at a price club a while back and was shocked to find out it was imported from Russia o_O. Evidently, Atlantic cod habitats off the US coast are in terrible shape. Growing up in New England, cod used to be a common, cheap, and easily sourced product, which is probably why it was used in a common, cheap, and easily sourced dish like fish and chips. Still, I'd rather pay more for the real deal and won't bother otherwise.

While I agree tilapia is a bad choice for fish and chips, I don't get all the hate for it! I read what you are saying above, but you can refute that just as easily.

Perhaps being Italian I am used to it, we use it in a variety of seafood dishes. And also fish tacos, yum!

Ah tilapia, so easy to hate on you I guess. ;)
I'm with you. While a memorable fish and chips requires some stouter fish such as cod (btw, tilapia loins--as opposed to just straight up fillets--are meatier and might hold up to a fish and chips recipe), suggesting tilapia isn't fit for human consumption is a bit of hyperbole. Such claims are, indeed, easily refuted. Are they as beneficial when it come to the Omega 3? No, but neither are shrimp. Are they a healthy alternative to high fat foods and proteins? Absolutely. The poor farming methods reports largely have been debunked, as well. As for taste, there are fish I like better, but properly cooked, tilapia is mild and takes to spices well, such as when using them in a fish taco. While it may not suit the tastes of many (and I get that; heck, I'm not a huge fan of raw cauliflower), at least one upscale blind taste testing was done using red snapper, rainbow trout, branzino, fluke, barramundi, and two sources of tilapia, one from the Honduras and one from the U.S. The winner, no surprise, was the red snapper. Second place? The Honduran tilapia (the domestic one came in 5th). However, I do fully agree that Disney is merely attempting to find ways to wring extra profit from us. No doubt farmed tilapia is cheaper than cod. Yet another cost cutting idea from Disney bean counters.

Seems likely that its simply because they just farm it from The Land. Does this mean they will change R&C soon?

They only serve cod at Rose & Crown.

I wonder if they'll still serve the fish and chips with cod if you go into Rose and Crown restaurant? If so, I can't help but wonder if that's part of Disney's motivation-encourage people to pay TS prices. As well as tilapia is much cheaper than cod.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter