The Tale of the Grow Walk ….Hunh?

Like many of us, I have been so far behind on all the TR's I have been following. Great wrap up, Sorry you had the delay and a stressful flight.

Thanks for reading. There is just not enough time in the day anymore it seems. LOL

Things are starting to take shape on the vaction for 2015. Looks like Aug will be the plan...and it's not Disney of any sorts.....stay tuned.

Things are starting to take shape on the vaction for 2015. Looks like Aug will be the plan...and it's not Disney of any sorts.....stay tuned.

I am glad that plans are being made, but what a shame that it does not involve Disney.

Corinna

shows no activities available, I have gotten this message the past few days.

No Disney? That's pretty sad:( Don't think I could handle that!

I am glad that plans are being made, but what a shame that it does not involve Disney.

Corinna

It could've been Disney related, but there were too many issues to make it work out, but I am very excited to do this adventure. Once deposit is officially made I will clue you in!

I'm intrigued. Looking forward to hearing what you plans are. popcorn::

It's official...a deposit has been made....We are cruising...at Skip's request. Yes, don't faint....I know you are shocked. However we are not going on Disney. We are cruising to Alaska (Skip's request and I am beyond excited) and he really wanted to do Disney, but Disney sails out of Vancouver and to make a long story short, because of some things Skip did in his younger days in order to get into Canada he needs to fill out paper work and get permission now that they are stricter. He would probably have no issues getting permission but it can take a year for this to go through. He said he would fill out the paperwork even and go through it all but there just were no guanrentees it would be done in time. I decided to check out other cruise lines that sail out of Seattle. I debated a bit over Princess and Norwegian and in the end picked Norwegian. I booked us a Penthouse Suite.....not a suite in the terms we normally would think of but it's basically a bigger balcony room on the Aft (back) of the ship. It does have a few perks though. We are also getting the Ultimate Beverage package and Ultimate dining package for specialty dining and a few other bonuses. And the price is not cheap....but compared to a balcony on DCL for the same week we are saving almost $5000!!!! And if we went with an ocean view on DCL the next week we are still saving money.
Our cruise is Aug. 1st. We still have a wait ahead of us, but at least we have plans and when I find time I will begin my planning.

It's official...a deposit has been made....We are cruising...at Skip's request. Yes, don't faint....I know you are shocked. However we are not going on Disney. We are cruising to Alaska (Skip's request and I am beyond excited) and he really wanted to do Disney, but Disney sails out of Vancouver and to make a long story short, because of some things Skip did in his younger days in order to get into Canada he needs to fill out paper work and get permission now that they are stricter. He would probably have no issues getting permission but it can take a year for this to go through. He said he would fill out the paperwork even and go through it all but there just were no guanrentees it would be done in time. I decided to check out other cruise lines that sail out of Seattle. I debated a bit over Princess and Norwegian and in the end picked Norwegian. I booked us a Penthouse Suite.....not a suite in the terms we normally would think of but it's basically a bigger balcony room on the Aft (back) of the ship. It does have a few perks though. We are also getting the Ultimate Beverage package and Ultimate dining package for specialty dining and a few other bonuses. And the price is not cheap....but compared to a balcony on DCL for the same week we are saving almost $5000!!!! And if we went with an ocean view on DCL the next week we are still saving money.
Our cruise is Aug. 1st. We still have a wait ahead of us, but at least we have plans and when I find time I will begin my planning.

That sounds amazing! And I'm so glad Skip is finally onboard. Is Claire going or is this adults only? We LOVED our Aft Stateroom on the Dream and the bigger balcony. I would imagine that for an Alaskan Cruise you would be spending a lot of time on the balcony checking out the gorgeous views. My Mother In Law is doing an Alaskan Cruise this summer, I'll have to ask her the date and cruise line.

That sounds amazing! And I'm so glad Skip is finally onboard. Is Claire going or is this adults only? We LOVED our Aft Stateroom on the Dream and the bigger balcony. I would imagine that for an Alaskan Cruise you would be spending a lot of time on the balcony checking out the gorgeous views. My Mother In Law is doing an Alaskan Cruise this summer, I'll have to ask her the date and cruise line.

Claire is coming. Actually when he said this is where he wants to go there were some tears from her. She is not all that excited...but I know she will enjoy it. It's just not what she expected and is unknown to her. There is a habachi restaurant included in the specialty dining and when I told her that she jumped for joy, so she is coming around.

Woohoo! Good for you....that sounds awesome!

We are sailing NCL out of Miami in April 2016. With friends and family free, we are only paying for two of us, but all five of us get to go. And we have the ultimate beverage package free too. It was a pretty awesome deal I thought.

My son is giving me grief about not doing DCL, but the relatively same itinerary on DCL during the same week was also about $5,000.00 more. Plus, we would still have to pay for a bar bill and the end of the cruise.

I've been showing him Youtube videos of the NCL Getaway to get him used to the idea. I think with all the kid stuff they have, plus the slides, ropes course, etc., he'll get over it not being Disney.

P.S. - Never would've guessed Skip is some sort of rebel/outlaw! 8-):rotfl:

Sounds great...although I am guessing Skip can still change his mind:)

That sounds fantastic. We have done NCL in Europe and this was OK, but I could not get used to the anytime dining. We ended up mainly eating at the speciality restaurants as we could make reservations for this. I would have loved the Ultimate dining package. Alaska is utterly amazing. You will have an amazing time.

Corinna

That's awesome you are doing Alaska! NCL has had some great specials and deals lately. Which Ship will you be on?

I was on the NCL Gem November 2013 and we weren't overly thrilled but we did have a good time overall. It was really a beautiful ship, there was lots to do and our room was great (the bathroom was tiny though). At the time the Breakaway was new and we we heard from multiple sources that they took all the good crew from the Gem and put them on the Breakaway and then staffed the Gem with like 75% new (like their first cruise ever) crew. At the time we said we would never do NCL again but after I heard that I would definitely give them a try again.

I actually did price out quite a few cruises on NCL recently.

Woohoo! Good for you....that sounds awesome!

We are sailing NCL out of Miami in April 2016. With friends and family free, we are only paying for two of us, but all five of us get to go. And we have the ultimate beverage package free too. It was a pretty awesome deal I thought.

My son is giving me grief about not doing DCL, but the relatively same itinerary on DCL during the same week was also about $5,000.00 more. Plus, we would still have to pay for a bar bill and the end of the cruise.

I've been showing him Youtube videos of the NCL Getaway to get him used to the idea. I think with all the kid stuff they have, plus the slides, ropes course, etc., he'll get over it not being Disney.

P.S. - Never would've guessed Skip is some sort of rebel/outlaw! 8-):rotfl:

We are ALL excited which makes it even more exciting. Claire is coming around.
Unofrutnately our sailing was one of the free additional members but she was discounted...but they are tricky with the discount...going off of full fare rather than what a 3rd person normally cost...still I think it's a good deal.
The drink package is awesome. Even though I don't drink much it's nice not to think about costs and all soft drinks included too. The dining package is nice as well and I plan to use it at least twice possibly 3 or more times. We also have 2 of us paid for our tips which is nice. And some shore excursion credits.
I guess suites get daily snacks as well which is kind of fun and a few other things which may or may not be used.
I would love to try the getaway or breakaway. Those ships look fantastic. I did a virutal tour of one last year at one of my seminars and it was gorgeous.

Well as for Skip...drinking age was 18 back when he was younger and he frequented the local bar a lot....and then drove...or tried to drive home after. Thats where he went wrong! And now 20-30 years later it haunts him.

Sounds great...although I am guessing Skip can still change his mind:)

Well he could but then he might be murdered. LOL! We have to pay in full in 4 days so I don't think he will and he really does seem excited about it all.

That sounds fantastic. We have done NCL in Europe and this was OK, but I could not get used to the anytime dining. We ended up mainly eating at the speciality restaurants as we could make reservations for this. I would have loved the Ultimate dining package. Alaska is utterly amazing. You will have an amazing time.

Corinna

We really like anytime dining. I had that on my last NCL cruise and also did it on Princess (they offer the choice on that line). Skip is very "freestyle". He hates to commit to times to dine...that being said I am most likely going to make at least 2 reservations for specialty dining before we go.
I am going to have to go back and do some reading on others Alaskan cruises to get myself prepared!

How exciting!

Jill in CO

I really am excited. I really think Skip thinks he is dragging us along and we are doing it for him.....I'll just play along. hahaha

That's awesome you are doing Alaska! NCL has had some great specials and deals lately. Which Ship will you be on?

I was on the NCL Gem November 2013 and we weren't overly thrilled but we did have a good time overall. It was really a beautiful ship, there was lots to do and our room was great (the bathroom was tiny though). At the time the Breakaway was new and we we heard from multiple sources that they took all the good crew from the Gem and put them on the Breakaway and then staffed the Gem with like 75% new (like their first cruise ever) crew. At the time we said we would never do NCL again but after I heard that I would definitely give them a try again.

I actually did price out quite a few cruises on NCL recently.

We are going on the Jewel, sister ship to the Gem. Yes thos bathrooms are sooooo small. The penthouse has a bigger one which was another selling point to me.
When Skip and I sailed on NCL 12 years ago we had an inside room....talk about small! Wow! And the bathroom was so tiny and we were both skinny then!

Jen - that is AWESOME! And I have to say I am really excited for your for selfish reasons. I really want to do an Alaskan cruise next summer but the price for the Disney cruises with a verandah room are staggering. I was actually considering Norwegian. Aren't there a couple different itineraries you can do? Please tell more. I hope you love this cruise because I noted the price is half of a Disney cruise.

You got me all excited ........ and then I found out that you have already revealed what your trip is going to be and I am even more excited!!!!!!!!!!!

That is an awesome trip - I really hope you do a report on it! It sounds just fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!

We are ALL excited which makes it even more exciting. Claire is coming around.
Unofrutnately our sailing was one of the free additional members but she was discounted...but they are tricky with the discount...going off of full fare rather than what a 3rd person normally cost...still I think it's a good deal.
The drink package is awesome. Even though I don't drink much it's nice not to think about costs and all soft drinks included too. The dining package is nice as well and I plan to use it at least twice possibly 3 or more times. We also have 2 of us paid for our tips which is nice. And some shore excursion credits.
I guess suites get daily snacks as well which is kind of fun and a few other things which may or may not be used.
I would love to try the getaway or breakaway. Those ships look fantastic. I did a virutal tour of one last year at one of my seminars and it was gorgeous.

Well as for Skip...drinking age was 18 back when he was younger and he frequented the local bar a lot....and then drove...or tried to drive home after. Thats where he went wrong! And now 20-30 years later it haunts him.

Aw, poor Skip. That's a long time to still be dealing with one mistake.

The shore excursions in Alaska look amazing. You've been reading Podsnel's Alaska cruise trip report, right? Some of the stuff they got to do looked wonderful.

You got me all excited ........ and then I found out that you have already revealed what your trip is going to be and I am even more excited!!!!!!!!!!!

That is an awesome trip - I really hope you do a report on it! It sounds just fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!

I second the request for a trip report!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter