The Running Thread - 2019

Question for the Garmin experts out there.
So I've been sick the past week (maybe two) and took a week off from training to follow doctor's orders and allow medicine to do it's thing.

Gave running another try yesterday and my Garmin 235 said that my HR was in zone 5 at max 184 almost the entire time. Usually I'm a zone 3 runner so this seemed pretty strange. Also did a Garmin update 5 minutes before the run. Any chance the update skewed the HR numbers or did I really struggle that much?
I have had a few weird things with Garmin Connect happen since the last update. I’m not sure about HR, I haven’t noticed it being too weird, but elevation is now missing from all runs, pace now has a very large scale, so you can’t really see all the little variations that usually happen, and this morning my run won’t sync. It tells me that there is a ‘sync error’. So I’m hoping it’s just down for a little bit, and maybe they are fixing the app. Anyways, I think there were a few things messed up in the last update, so maybe don’t worry too much about the HR yet???

Wishing you all the best, @surfde22 . Take care of yourself. God bless you!

Thank you. Trying to take care of myself but pretty sure I over did it with walking and moving yesterday.

Sorry, surgery sucks! But it make you better and is worth it. Wishing you a speedy recovery. If the pain is already getting better and you have transitioned to Ibuprofen that is the first step! There are many to go but the time will go fast and you will be lacing up the shoes before you know it!

Still finding myself going to the opioids occasionally, but the amount is decreasing. It didn’t help that I did too much walking yesterday.

@surfde22...….sorry about the injury. Hope you make a quick recovery.

Thanks. Taking it day by day.

@surfde22 myself and @Baloo in MI would like to welcome you to the club. It's not a club we hope to grow anymore though. This is enough

Yeah, not a fun club, but it’s a club my other ankle will be joining later this year. Word of advice to everyone out there, let a sprained ankle heal before resuming activity. Also, apparently it’s bad if you sprain your ankle and the pain is gone in like five minutes or less. It means your ligaments are pretty much destroyed.

Hypothermic Half race recap

Registration and where to run it
I registered in August for a road race in Montreal: It was one of the rare winter race, it was timed and it gave out finisher medals.

Come to December, participants received an email stating that the race venue was moved to Oka (countryside, not public transportation accessible). I decided to adapt and stick with my decision of training for and running a winter Half. After all, my Achiles tendon was doing better.

The organizer was very responsive and the website was eventually updated with her answers.

Pre-race jitters
Although December and January were slow months running wise (mostly because of pavement icy conditions ) I was ok with maintaining a minimal base, sufficient for a slow Half. Then February and bronchitis hit! Prior to the run, I had less than 12 miles in February spread over three training runs. Arg!

Then the weather forecast called for a 3F morning. I prepared my gear (this was no longer a road race but my first official trail race) and had a preoccupied face all day on the eve of the race. DH said that I did not need that kind of stress and that should reconsider my winter racing strategy... I answered, no problem, next year, my four winter races are at Disney in January. And he added, maybe you could do that kind of (runDisney) race every year. He loves me and hates seeing me unhappy! I am so blessed.

Showtime!
I was awake well before my alarm and had time to chill while getting ready. I left at 6AM. Roads were dry, no traffic... I made it to the site, probably faster than if the race would have been in Montreal.

We got a nice hydration pack as swag. The Abbey was warm and we had plenty of room to get ready and wait. The big talk was wether spikes were required or not today. I opted to put mine on even if they announced that the trail was well groomed.

After a quick warmup they sent us out... Only to find out that the race had already started! Since I did not have a goal other than attempting the race, and possibly finish, that did not bother me: It is not worst than being in a far corral. Except, the pacers ended up without a group or in the wrong order. I found the 2:15 interval (10:1) pacer all alone so I decided to run with her and did so the entire race. We sometimes had company. They were all agreeing to slow down and drop the goal. Those were not rapid conditions but they were pretty much ideal for enjoyment: Gorgeous sun, no wind and cold but any warmer and we would have started sinking in the snow. Nice scenery too. The many stations had water and Electrolytes but the water tended to freeze!

I ended up completing the back and forth course in 2:27:44 and with a smile. I had more fun than I anticipated.
34EAA4B4-9813-4BDB-B6F3-C34BC30E3533.jpeg

Question for the Garmin experts out there.
So I've been sick the past week (maybe two) and took a week off from training to follow doctor's orders and allow medicine to do it's thing.

Gave running another try yesterday and my Garmin 235 said that my HR was in zone 5 at max 184 almost the entire time. Usually I'm a zone 3 runner so this seemed pretty strange. Also did a Garmin update 5 minutes before the run. Any chance the update skewed the HR numbers or did I really struggle that much?

You should be able to check the HR zones on the watch to confirm or rule that out. As for the illness, I find that my effort and HR spike high when I run while I’m sick, so that could be the explanation.

The other thing to consider is cadence. The 235 can be susceptible to cadence lock where the HR monitor locks into cadence instead of heart rate. If your cadence is normally in that range, I’d guess that is the most likely cause.

Hypothermic Half race recap

Registration and where to run it
I registered in August for a road race in Montreal: It was one of the rare winter race, it was timed and it gave out finisher medals.

Come to December, participants received an email stating that the race venue was moved to Oka (countryside, not public transportation accessible). I decided to adapt and stick with my decision of training for and running a winter Half. After all, my Achiles tendon was doing better.

The organizer was very responsive and the website was eventually updated with her answers.

Pre-race jitters
Although December and January were slow months running wise (mostly because of pavement icy conditions ) I was ok with maintaining a minimal base, sufficient for a slow Half. Then February and bronchitis hit! Prior to the run, I had less than 12 miles in February spread over three training runs. Arg!

Then the weather forecast called for a 3F morning. I prepared my gear (this was no longer a road race but my first official trail race) and had a preoccupied face all day on the eve of the race. DH said that I did not need that kind of stress and that should reconsider my winter racing strategy... I answered, no problem, next year, my four winter races are at Disney in January. And he added, maybe you could do that kind of (runDisney) race every year. He loves me and hates seeing me unhappy! I am so blessed.

Showtime!
I was awake well before my alarm and had time to chill while getting ready. I left at 6AM. Roads were dry, no traffic... I made it to the site, probably faster than if the race would have been in Montreal.

We got a nice hydration pack as swag. The Abbey was warm and we had plenty of room to get ready and wait. The big talk was wether spikes were required or not today. I opted to put mine on even if they announced that the trail was well groomed.

After a quick warmup they sent us out... Only to find out that the race had already started! Since I did not have a goal other than attempting the race, and possibly finish, that did not bother me: It is not worst than being in a far corral. Except, the pacers ended up without a group or in the wrong order. I found the 2:15 interval (10:1) pacer all alone so I decided to run with her and did so the entire race. We sometimes had company. They were all agreeing to slow down and drop the goal. Those were not rapid conditions but they were pretty much ideal for enjoyment: Gorgeous sun, no wind and cold but any warmer and we would have started sinking in the snow. Nice scenery too. The many stations had water and Electrolytes but the water tended to freeze!

I ended up completing the back and forth course in 2:27:44 and with a smile. I had more fun than I anticipated.
View attachment 383120
That sounds like a good time!

Race report: Bad *** Half Combo

Yesterday I ran the Bad *** Half Combo - in Foxboro MA, which is a combo of the “flat 5k” and the “old fashioned 10 miler.” I ran the 10 miler last year, and was registered again for the 10 miler - but ended up getting extra miles in training last month during the government shutdown. So when the weather was looking good, and I was feeling good - I upgraded to the bad *** Half Combo.

This is a long-standing (24 years) race put on by a local running club (originated as a mid-winter training run for Boston) - so it’s well organized and well-supported. Excellent post-race food (willow tree chicken salad and baked Mac and cheese), fun medals, a coaster and a buff, and good swag bag and raffles.

I was nervous - I’m used to months of training for a half, so upgrading to the half a week prior was messing with my head. My running club friends were just doing the 10 miler - so I was on my own doing the 5k. I met up with a woman from my another mother runner training group - she was so nice, and took my nerves away!

Flat 5k:
My plan was to take this easy, and not overdo it. I ran without looking at my watch. Course was definitely flat. Felt good, calves were a bit tight - temps were 29 and sunny - so this was a nice warm-up.

10 Miler:
Start line was 0.6 mile walk from the 5k finish - and I had 15 min between end and start. I ditched my vest - temp hit 30, and no wind/sun made for comfortable running temps.

I grew up in Foxboro, so the course was like a run through memories for me. It’s very, very hilly though from mile 2-8. They do leave roads open - so some single file sections that can be tough to pass people. Also has a stretch with views of the stadium - go pats! I fueled with chews every other interval and made sure to drink a full cup at each of the 3 water stations.

I tried to run at a comfortable pace - not paying attention to my watch. Miles ticked by - having done 3 already made it seem to go faster! I knew where the hills were and planned for them with my pace and intervals, and knew when they ended so I could pick it up for the last few miles. I did start to eye my pace and knew I could finish with a pace under 10 min/mile. Finished feeling strong and happy!

Overall:
Great race - HM #4 in the books. So glad I challenged myself with the upgrade! Fueling worked great and I felt strong.
My time was 4 min off my half PR, which I was happy with - since I wasn’t training for a pace, just for the distance - and ran “comfortably.”

5k: 29:18
10 miler: 1:40:24
Half Combo: 2:09:44 (9:52 pace)

Race report: Bad *** Half Combo

Yesterday I ran the Bad *** Half Combo - in Foxboro MA, which is a combo of the “flat 5k” and the “old fashioned 10 miler.” I ran the 10 miler last year, and was registered again for the 10 miler - but ended up getting extra miles in training last month during the government shutdown. So when the weather was looking good, and I was feeling good - I upgraded to the bad *** Half Combo.

This is a long-standing (24 years) race put on by a local running club (originated as a mid-winter training run for Boston) - so it’s well organized and well-supported. Excellent post-race food (willow tree chicken salad and baked Mac and cheese), fun medals, a coaster and a buff, and good swag bag and raffles.

I was nervous - I’m used to months of training for a half, so upgrading to the half a week prior was messing with my head. My running club friends were just doing the 10 miler - so I was on my own doing the 5k. I met up with a woman from my another mother runner training group - she was so nice, and took my nerves away!

Flat 5k:
My plan was to take this easy, and not overdo it. I ran without looking at my watch. Course was definitely flat. Felt good, calves were a bit tight - temps were 29 and sunny - so this was a nice warm-up.

10 Miler:
Start line was 0.6 mile walk from the 5k finish - and I had 15 min between end and start. I ditched my vest - temp hit 30, and no wind/sun made for comfortable running temps.

I grew up in Foxboro, so the course was like a run through memories for me. It’s very, very hilly though from mile 2-8. They do leave roads open - so some single file sections that can be tough to pass people. Also has a stretch with views of the stadium - go pats! I fueled with chews every other interval and made sure to drink a full cup at each of the 3 water stations.

I tried to run at a comfortable pace - not paying attention to my watch. Miles ticked by - having done 3 already made it seem to go faster! I knew where the hills were and planned for them with my pace and intervals, and knew when they ended so I could pick it up for the last few miles. I did start to eye my pace and knew I could finish with a pace under 10 min/mile. Finished feeling strong and happy!

Overall:
Great race - HM #4 in the books. So glad I challenged myself with the upgrade! Fueling worked great and I felt strong.
My time was 4 min off my half PR, which I was happy with - since I wasn’t training for a pace, just for the distance - and ran “comfortably.”

5k: 29:18
10 miler: 1:40:24
Half Combo: 2:09:44 (9:52 pace)
Excellent work! Also, you’re not a fan of “Sister from another Mister?”

Thrill in the Hills 21k Trail Race:
This is a Dirty Spokes race and so is a good race, well marked, with 4 support stations, and pizza at the end. There were actually three races - 5 mile, 21k, 50k. It poured down rain all night and I was praying for clearing, but all the cloud cover kept the temp at about 60* and very humid. As it turned out, the rain stopped just before the 50k began at 7:30, leaving the trail full of puddles, mud holes, and slick down hills. I lined up near the back. Since the 50k'ers started first, many feet had already run the trail, and you trail racers know how that affects the mud! It was single track pretty much throughout, and I took my time, staying behind some people I probably should have passed in the first half and picking my way through the roots and the messy parts, so my time was not great, but it was a good race and I felt good enough to sprint into the finish. Clothes and shoes were a MESS.

@LSUlakes Finish time: 2:55:59, and 1st in my age group

Next up: Planning to do the virtual Star Wars half on March 9 as a sort of training run and then Star Wars weekend, here I come!

Good morning everyone and hope you had a great weekend! For todays QOTD: I wanted to ask you how many pairs of running shoes are you purchasing in a year? Do you buy the same ones or try different shoes out?

ATTQOTD: I would say I am around 3 pairs a year but that number can move up or down depending on miles I am running. I try to stay with the same shoes unless I start having problems or they drastically change the shoe I was using.

ATTQOTD:
I think I usually end up with about 5 pairs of shoes a year. I stick to the same shoe (or at least I have for the past couple of years) - New Balance Vongo! I usually get around 300 miles per pair of shoes, and with marathon miles that can add up quickly. I try and get a different color each time. I think with the v2 I had one of each color for that year, and I’m on color three of the v3’s and need to probably get the 4th pair pretty soon.

Good morning everyone and hope you had a great weekend! For todays QOTD: I wanted to ask you how many pairs of running shoes are you purchasing in a year? Do you buy the same ones or try different shoes out?

ATTQOTD: I would say I am around 3 pairs a year but that number can move up or down depending on miles I am running. I try to stay with the same shoes unless I start having problems or they drastically change the shoe I was using.

ATTQOTD: Way too many. I don't tend to get more than 200-275 miles out of a pair, so when you project that out with running 1100-1200 miles in a typical year, the numbers get high really quickly. Last year was also a bit of an aberration, too, as I changed shoe types for the first time. That, coupled with paranoia around shoe changes leaving me with nothing to run in and clearance sales on my model, turned into a deadly storm. I think I bought (8 or more) pairs last year. Fortunately the new shoe seems to be getting me around 50 miles more per pair than my old model, so I shouldn't have to do too much buying this year.

This will be my first year really running a lot the whole year, so I’ve only bought shoes when I need them. I anticipate buying at least two, possibly three pairs. Bought my first ones yesterday, as a matter of fact. Jackrabbit had Hoka Bondi 5s for $90 so I jumped on that.

I’ve stayed with Bondis since my first marathon. I’ve tried other shoes but always have liked them best.

ATTQOTD: I am a heavier guy so my shoes tend to wear out around 350-400 miles. I am usually rotating between 2 pairs, but I probably by a new pair every 2.5 months or so. Every once in a while I will try something new, but I usually will do that before my current shoes wear out so I can try them and determine if I want to ad them to my rotation. I'll usually do that 1 or 2 times a year. Right now I am enjoying the Nike Odyssey React and Boston Boosts. I stalk runningwearhouse and shoekicker and try and buy stuff when I find intriguing shoes on sale. When the new Vomero comes down in price I may pick up a pair for a plush long run shoe.

ATTQOTD: According to my husband, way too many for running to be such an inexpensive hobby. LOL. Probably anywhere from 6-8 pair per year. My go-to favorites are Brooks Launches, but they don't last as many miles as my Glycerins or Ghosts. Since I have so many in rotation, they normally all last the entire year though. I am approaching the time to restock, which should be fun.

ATTQOTD: 2-3 pairs for me and I stick to Nike Pegasus. Just got a sweet deal for my next pair-$41 for the latest model! Every once in a while I think about switching shoes, but I have no issues with these, so why bother. I did buy a pair of NB Ariel at Marathon weekend several years back (only because I thought the neutral support shoe structure would be compatible with what I wear). They worked fine, but saw no need to switch shoe.

ATTQOTD: As I haven't been running hardcore until the last 6 months, I am still trying out shoes. I thought I had decided on Ghost 10s, but I think they contributed to my bursitis, so I will probably be shoe shopping again once I wear out the second pair I had bought. Right now I am on track for going through 4 pairs a year, but I kind of feel like I didn't get the full mileage I could have out of any of them.

ATTQOTD: On average I buy 3 pair a year, always the same brand (Asics Cumulus) and usually have 3 pair in rotation. I will sometimes buy an extra pair just because I like the color, even though I don't really need them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter