The Running Thread - 2019

The trouble this weekend is that with all the fresh powder I don't think I can keep my feet dry--I could get gaiters, but my running shoes have a lot of mesh.

See if you can find a pair of GoreTex running shoes. I bought some 4 winters ago and they are amazing!!! Mine have a lot of miles on them now and they are getting harder to find, but trust me, they are worth every penny. Your feet will stay completely dry!

Oh no! What happened? Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Thanks. A life time of playing soccer and not letting sprained ankles heal properly have caught up to me. The ligaments in my ankles are trash. First the left, and then the right.

Sorry you're laid up and hope your healing goes well.

Thanks. Pain isn’t so bad already, but walking in a cast is getting annoying real fast. Hope to be back to running in two months or so, but we’ll see what my surgeon and physio say.

Yeah, it’s a bit rough. Luckily the pain seems to have mostly subsided as of this morning. Already stopped taking the narcotics and am sticking with the ibuprofen unless pain gets to be too much again.

Thanks. A life time of playing soccer and not letting sprained ankles heal properly have caught up to me. The ligaments in my ankles are trash. First the left, and then the right.

Thanks. Pain isn’t so bad already, but walking in a cast is getting annoying real fast. Hope to be back to running in two months or so, but we’ll see what my surgeon and physio say.

Yeah, it’s a bit rough. Luckily the pain seems to have mostly subsided as of this morning. Already stopped taking the narcotics and am sticking with the ibuprofen unless pain gets to be too much again.
Hey if the pain has subsided and the cast doesn’t alter your gait, you can run right?! Jk, but you’ll be back in no time!

Wishing you a speedy recovery @surfde22!

Thanks!! Hopefully it doesn’t take too long.

Hey if the pain has subsided and the cast doesn’t alter your gait, you can run right?! Jk, but you’ll be back in no time!

Ha! Gait is definitely altered. Hard to keep the same gait when you can’t move your ankle. Hopefully I’ll be back sooner than later.

So this happened yesterday. I guess I won’t be running for awhile. Had the surgery scheduled still dissapponting as a reality. :(

View attachment 382719

Sorry, surgery sucks! But it make you better and is worth it. Wishing you a speedy recovery. If the pain is already getting better and you have transitioned to Ibuprofen that is the first step! There are many to go but the time will go fast and you will be lacing up the shoes before you know it!

Question for the Garmin experts out there.
So I've been sick the past week (maybe two) and took a week off from training to follow doctor's orders and allow medicine to do it's thing.

Gave running another try yesterday and my Garmin 235 said that my HR was in zone 5 at max 184 almost the entire time. Usually I'm a zone 3 runner so this seemed pretty strange. Also did a Garmin update 5 minutes before the run. Any chance the update skewed the HR numbers or did I really struggle that much?

Question for the Garmin experts out there.
So I've been sick the past week (maybe two) and took a week off from training to follow doctor's orders and allow medicine to do it's thing.

Gave running another try yesterday and my Garmin 235 said that my HR was in zone 5 at max 184 almost the entire time. Usually I'm a zone 3 runner so this seemed pretty strange. Also did a Garmin update 5 minutes before the run. Any chance the update skewed the HR numbers or did I really struggle that much?
I don’t know about the update, but I have had skewed hrs before. Both high and no heart rate.

Happy birthday @OldSlowGoofyGuy (belated). How did you celebrate?

Thanks. 4 mile run. Pizza and beer for lunch. Bottle of champagne when we got home. Sushi and other treats for a stay-in dinner. Then the DW and I had dinner out Friday night. No cards/candy/flowers for us.

That afternoon (VD) I made a visit to my widowed MIL to surprise her with roses. Guys, if this is a possibility for you, it will be the best 20 bucks and hour of your time that you ever spent!

Sounds like cadence lock, where its picking up your footsteps rather than your heart rate. Overlay the heart rate graph with cadence and see if they match (or are close). I tend to have that problem a lot.

@Waiting2goback I'm sitting in a professional development meeting and I just laughed so hard at that picture that everyone is staring at me....:D clearly, you can see where my priorities lie..

You made me laugh out loud with this one. Thanks!

Occasionally you have to remember how hard this thing is that we do and a little comedy helps with that.

I was talking to my girlfriend yesterday and I said something about an easy 4 mile run. Then I chuckled. She asked what I was laughing at it. I said, sometimes it hits me funny when I say things like, "easy 4 mile run" because for many people, 4 miles seems impossible.

It's all about perspective. When I am running, which will hopefully happen soon, anything less than 4 miles is a disappointment now.

@surfde22 myself and @Baloo in MI would like to welcome you to the club. It's not a club we hope to grow anymore though. This is enough.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter