The Running Thread - 2019

ATTQOTD- I purchase 2-3 pairs each year. Some years a 4th pair is needed.

I typically get 350-400 miles per shoe and rotate them throughout training cycles. Right now I am alternating between Brooks Launch 5's, and Saucony Guides. I had never run in either of those models before but got them at a great price and good results so far. I have a pair of Saucony Breakthru 4's NIB patiently waiting for their turn.

I also threw away 4 pairs yesterday that had been taking up closet space for years. They had holes and were pretty beat up. Thought about taking one shoe from each pair and displaying them above our medal displays but my wife said she would gladly expedite their trip to the trash can if needed. I still have my first pair of Glycerines that I wore for my first marathon and Dopey. Shhhhhh!

Last edited:
Good morning everyone and hope you had a great weekend! For todays QOTD: I wanted to ask you how many pairs of running shoes are you purchasing in a year? Do you buy the same ones or try different shoes out?

I buy 2-3 pairs each year. Once I find a model I like, I'll stock up on them at expos or during online sales. Running Warehouse no longer seems to accept the DIS discount code for Asics Kayanos and my LRS no longer carries Asics, so I use Shoekicker to find the best deals. I have been using Kayanos since 2006, though I also run short distances in a pair of NB Minimus and have a pair of Brooks racing flats. I'm intrigued by the Vaporflys, but since I'm not a Nike fan, I'm not sure I can justify the cost unless or until I'm after a BQ time.

QOTD: I wanted to ask you how many pairs of running shoes are you purchasing in a year? Do you buy the same ones or try different shoes out?

This is the first year where I've started tracking my shoes at all. Before, they were just "as needed" without really paying attention to how often that was.

Given my current and planned running rates, I'm estimating 3 pair this year.

Historically, I've tended to switch them up, but I'm on my third pair of Saucony Omni in a row (2 Omni 15s, and now Omni ISOs). I did try on a few other pairs when I got the ISOs, but they were the ones that worked for me.

ATTQOTD: Generally 1-2 pairs of the same shoe. But this anomalous year will see a couple of different shoes. I would like to experiment with different road shoes, and I already have two different trail shoes for different conditions. I would like to at least try a hoka one one.

ATTQOTD: I would say probably 5 pairs. I go thru 3-4 pairs a year. I stick to Adidas's (Energy Boosts for training, Tempo Boosts for races). I try to stock up if I find a version of those I like a lot. I have a closest that has six boxes of shoes but hell, I'll probably buy a few more pairs this year too.

ATTQOTD:
I went through 4 pair last year, but anticipate 3 this year as I just bought new ones in December. I wanted to stick to the same Brooks GTS shoe despite it getting only 200 miles before it had flat spots, but the NB I switched to when I didn’t like the 18s rubbed my arch something fierce and were no good if it was already hot and humid or for anything >4 miles. I’m hopeful the Gts 19s work out as they feel more like the 16 &17s to me, but I’m still putting off buying another pair.

Good morning everyone and hope you had a great weekend! For todays QOTD: I wanted to ask you how many pairs of running shoes are you purchasing in a year? Do you buy the same ones or try different shoes out?

ATTQOTD: I buy 2 or 3 pairs per year. I wear one pair until they've hit their "rated mileage". I then buy the identical pair as a replacement unless the model no longer exists. Then I go to the running store and find a new pair. I'm not the type that has different running shoes for different running purposes.

ATTQOTD: I buy 3-4 pairs of ASICS Gel Kayanos every year. I wear them about 400 miles. I keep at least 2 pairs in rotation at a time, allowing each pair time to dry out before I wear them again. The two pairs I’ve been wearing are within 25 miles of hitting 400 miles each, so I ran in a brand new pair this morning. I wanted to get a feel for the model 25’s before I order any more. They were fine! So I’ll be ordering another pair in the next week or so. I always look for the earlier model on sale if I can find them. But I have discovered I can get the latest model about 33% off at the military Exchange online with no tax or shipping!

QOTD: I wanted to ask you how many pairs of running shoes are you purchasing in a year? Do you buy the same ones or try different shoes out?
ATTQOTD: I usually put about 500 miles or so on each pair of running shoes. And I always have at least two pairs in active rotation. I have been really happy with Asics Nimbus and have been sticking with them recently. Last Spring I purchased 6 pairs of the Nimbus 19‘s on clearance. I retired two pairs over the summer and pair 3 is approaching 400 miles. I put about 100 miles on pairs 4&5 breaking them in for marathon weekend. And I just starting breaking in pair 6 for Star Wars weekend in April.

The 19’s are pretty much gone and the 20’s are now on clearance. I bought a pair of them just to make sure they are the same as the 19’s which they pretty much are. I am trying to decide when and how many pairs of the 20’s I should get before they become hard to find.

ATTQOTD how many running shoes per year:
Like many, I buy 2-3 pairs of shoes per year and I have 3-4 in rotation (one at home, one at work, one with my spikes on for winter and one getting a gentle very occasional break-in inside).

So far I bought ASICS Nimbus but my Achiles tendon problems are making me reconsider their high back for my future purchases. I might try another brand through the rotation even though I have three new pairs of Nimbus in boxes.

ATTQOTD: First of all, I am jealous of those of you who get 400+ miles out of your shoes. Even when I don’t track my shoe miles so well, I always know when I am in the 250 mile range when my knees and hips begin to ache.

I go through 4-5 pairs a year. I always have two pairs in rotation - Brooks GTS. Every once in a while I try to introduce a different shoe, but I haven’t had a lot of success.

@TheHamm I had big issues with the 18s, I actually have a nearly new pair I refuse to wear, but have been though three pairs of 19s with no issues.

I do a terrible job of tracking my shoes. I am determined to do better this year. I don't tend to have to replace based on mileage, it's more based on age. Every 6 months or so, or my lower back starts to hurt. This year I will run more than I ever have and I suspect I will go through more shoes. I am running in Saucony Ride's right now.

thanks @Mickey Momma, i am glad to hear the change worked for you. I was so thrown by the 18’s & the shoes I got to replace them I almost declared running was not for me anymore. I think I would have bought a second pair of 19’s by now if I didn’t hate the color I can get locally (yes, 3 independent running shops, all carrying the same navy shoe?) but I’ll probably buy another unexciting but different color online with the next paycheck.

ATTQOTD: Generally 1-2 pairs. Always Saucony Guides. I try to get them on sale if I can by catching when the new model comes out, I stock up on the old one..

Guide user too. Love that you can find them affordable. I recently got great deals on jack rabbit.

ATTQOTD: I have 2-3 pairs of Brooks Ghosts in rotation. I probably buy 3-4 pairs a year. I tried shoes again this weekend at a running store and didn’t find anything that I liked better. I tried Hokas and they were super cushioned, but I didn’t think that adding a drastically different feeling shoe would be beneficial since I am still wearing the Brooks.

Haha, guess the Dis censored my race name!

So just to check the censored name of the race - Bad *** Half Combo? What if it was spelled traditionally - Bad **** Half Combo? Does that work?

ATTQOTD: I would say I am around 3 pairs a year but that number can move up or down depending on miles I am running. I try to stay with the same shoes unless I start having problems or they drastically change the shoe I was using.

About 3 pairs a year. I've been struggling for a while - used to run in Mizuno Riders but had issues with the 21s. Tried Brooks Ghost, they were OK but not great. Also tried Pegasus 35s which were better than the Ghosts but not as good as the Riders USED to be. Currently on my 2nd pair of Nike Epic React Flyknits - hitting the sweetspot at the moment but only up to around 350km on my first pair, so not sure of longevity (the issue I had with the Ghosts, got uncomfortable after 500km, the Riders were always good for 800km)

So just to check the censored name of the race - Bad *** Half Combo? What if it was spelled traditionally - Bad **** Half Combo? Does that work?

About 3 pairs a year. I've been struggling for a while - used to run in Mizuno Riders but had issues with the 21s. Tried Brooks Ghost, they were OK but not great. Also tried Pegasus 35s which were better than the Ghosts but not as good as the Riders USED to be. Currently on my 2nd pair of Nike Epic React Flyknits - hitting the sweetspot at the moment but only up to around 350km on my first pair, so not sure of longevity (the issue I had with the Ghosts, got uncomfortable after 500km, the Riders were always good for 800km)

Haha nope!

I go through 3-4 pairs a year - I only get about 250 miles out of a show before my hip starts hurting.

I have always just had one shoe in rotation at a time, but today is time to change to a new pair, and I’m going to start rotating between 2 pairs (one is my favorite model and I’m trying a new one with similar stability - I’m kind of nervous for the new pair!). One more thing to remember to track in garmin!

ATTQOTD: I would say I am around 3 pairs a year but that number can move up or down depending on miles I am running. I try to stay with the same shoes unless I start having problems or they drastically change the shoe I was using.

I buy about 3-4 but I try to buy in bunches when I find a model I like and a sale I like. I currently have 2 brand new pair sitting in my closet waiting for the green light to start running again. I mostly buy the Asics Nimbus but occasionally I like the Cummulus model for a given year and I will buy those for shorter distances as well. They are lighter but not as much padding so they are used for 6 miles or less. Once I get above that I go with the Nimbus. I have one of each in the closet right now. Come spring I will go back to the Asics outlet looking for deals to replace these in my closet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter