The Running Thread—2023

Wow! That looks like T+Ds in the 130-135 range. While not ideal, that's downright cool for my area this time of year! I guess red flags are in the eye of the beholder.
I’m running the challenge and not ideal temps but doable, it’s better than most runDisney weekends! I think their real concern is the marathon more than the other events. They start last of course. Near record heat is never good for marathon day 🙁

I’m running the challenge and not ideal temps but doable, it’s better than most runDisney weekends! I think their real concern is the marathon more than the other events. They start last of course. Near record heat is never good for marathon day 🙁
The big difference between this and Disney is that Disney starts in the dark, instead of at sunrise. Sunshine is my nemesis 😂😂

Yes! I'm doing a 15K this Sunday and while the weather will be fine, the 5K starts at 7 and the 10K and 15K start at 7:50. Why not send the longer distances first?

Yes! I'm doing a 15K this Sunday and while the weather will be fine, the 5K starts at 7 and the 10K and 15K start at 7:50. Why not send the longer distances first?
In the case of our races, I think they want to get most of the 10 milers through the end of the course before the elite marathoners get there (the races start and end in the same places, but the 10 milers get to take a 16 mile shortcut 😁)

Berlin marathon quickie race recap - my 1st international marathon and 3rd world major!

The Good - very well organized event, fun/positive vibe, cool city with lots to see/do/eat, FLAT course with an epic finish through the Brandenberg Gate, weather was good (I hate to complain that mid 60's was a little hot but it was), and the exciting pro race

The Bad - expo was super crowded (esp the official race merch), it was a little difficult to find my husband after the race as there wasn't an official meeting area, plastic cups at water stops made it hard to drink and then left the road covered in hard plastic cups that got kicked around and stepped on, not starting the race until 9am for pros (10am for me)

I was about 15 min slower than my goal - ran a 4:27 but was hoping for 4:15 or better. The sun beating down on us combined with fighting off a cold did me in, but I kept a pretty consistent pace until mile 21 or so.

If any of you are going for the 6 Star medal, Berlin is a great event and we really enjoyed touring Germany - we hit Munich (Oktoberfest) and the Bavarian alps after the race.

Wow. I can't imagine what it feels like to BQ and then not get in. This is the largest time gap since 2019 (a year I also ran) I was fortunate as an older runner to have BQ times that put me comfortably above my requirement. I do know one guy who is in this boat for this year.

Last edited:
Wow. I can't imagine what it feels like to BQ and then not get in. I was fortunate as an older runner to have BQ times that put me comfortably above my requirement. I do know one guy who is in this boat for this year,
Have a friend who is trying to BQ. He was just over a minute his time last attempt this summer. At least it might make those who “just” missed it feel a little better.

Wow. I can't imagine what it feels like to BQ and then not get in. This is the largest time gap since 2019 (a year I also ran) I was fortunate as an older runner to have BQ times that put me comfortably above my requirement. I do know one guy who is in this boat for this year.
Someone I follow on Instagram (corcortheherbivore) got a BQ with a five minute buffer and didn't get in. :(

Race Recap Augusta 70.3 Relay (Sunday Sep 24)

I did the run section of the Half IM at Augusta. I had work teammates. Since I did not swim or bike I won't cover it. I did the half. I started at 1pm in Augusta GA. There was not a cloud in the sky and the sun was high and bright. The only break I had was the humidity was low with a dew of 58 but my temp was 86 o_O. I am going to tell you it was HOT. I stayed out of the sun as much as possible, but waited in transition almost 30 minutes with no cover at all. I have to mention our biker had a flat tire, so i started 30 minutes later than expected. The course was different this year than past years, so i am told. They shifted the transition area to where they typically start the swim. The run course while generally flat had many turns.

I took it slow as the conditions were not great. From mile 4 to 7 you were on a stretch of road with ZERO cover. the road was crappy and the sun was hot. No shade, no breeze. My body was craving water and i could get plenty of it, which was a bad thing. About mile 9 i had a side stitch and a sloshy stomach from too much water and not enough electrolytes. I saw DH and we both agreed, i needed to lay off the water and drink my tailwind. I managed to pass aid stations not taking water but only taking ice to cool off my neck. My head was burning. By mile 12, i thought i was going to throw up. Thankfully only 1 mile left. I was hoping to finish in 2:20 even with the conditions but it was 2:26:30.

The worst part was about 30 minutes after i ran i was sitting in the car for a 2.5 hour drive home. That left me quite sore for a few days.

It was fun. Not sure I would want to do that as 1 person but i had fun. When the team asked if we wanted to do it next year we all said YES!

I did the run section of the Half IM at Augusta. I had work teammates. Since I did not swim or bike I won't cover it. I did the half. I started at 1pm in Augusta GA. There was not a cloud in the sky and the sun was high and bright. The only break I had was the humidity was low with a dew of 58 but my temp was 86 o_O. I am going to tell you it was HOT. I stayed out of the sun as much as possible, but waited in transition almost 30 minutes with no cover at all. I have to mention our biker had a flat tire, so i started 30 minutes later than expected. The course was different this year than past years, so i am told. They shifted the transition area to where they typically start the swim. The run course while generally flat had many turns.

I took it slow as the conditions were not great. From mile 4 to 7 you were on a stretch of road with ZERO cover. the road was crappy and the sun was hot. No shade, no breeze. My body was craving water and i could get plenty of it, which was a bad thing. About mile 9 i had a side stitch and a sloshy stomach from too much water and not enough electrolytes. I saw DH and we both agreed, i needed to lay off the water and drink my tailwind. I managed to pass aid stations not taking water but only taking ice to cool off my neck. My head was burning. By mile 12, i thought i was going to throw up. Thankfully only 1 mile left. I was hoping to finish in 2:20 even with the conditions but it was 2:26:30.

The worst part was about 30 minutes after i ran i was sitting in the car for a 2.5 hour drive home. That left me quite sore for a few days.

It was fun. Not sure I would want to do that as 1 person but i had fun. When the team asked if we wanted to do it next year we all said YES!
Starts late, too hot, too thirsty, not enough recovery… but want to do it again: That sounds like the perfect definition of a race 😀
Congratulations to you and your teammates!

Glad yours was "fun", I have other descriptions for the New York 70.3 (69.6) I did the week prior in the middle of a tropical storm.
Swim (which they shortened to ~750-800 meters) I would use "scary". Definitely would not have been able to complete the full 1.2 miles facing the swells we had to battle through and my have even needed a rescue.
Bike, I would use "exhilarating", it was so nice to NOT be in the water anymore that I actually enjoyed the 20-30 mile winds and driving rain. I felt fast and made up so much time here.
Run, I would use "grinding". I thought the run would be my portion of the race to shine, but with the driving winds coming of the ocean and cold wet feet I could only muster a slow plodding pace to the finish.
Glad I got it done but not sure if anymore 70.3s are in my future.
Ask me again when the vivid swim nightmares subside.

Ask me again when the vivid swim nightmares subside

I hear you. I did a 70.3 at Cedar Point and a storm had come through. The water was so rough that I had to jump up to clear the waves while waiting for our swim group to start otherwise I would have been swamped. My DH was spectating and later said he saw so many people being removed from the course by staff in Zodiacs that he was worried for me. The DIS friends I did it with--one got seasick and bailed. The joke is that it was like Elsa in Frozen 2 in the dark sea. Or like Rey trying to reach the Death Star in Rise of Skywalker.

Last edited:
I hear you. I did a 70.3 at Cedar Point and a storm had come through. The water was so rough that I had to jump up to clear the waves while waiting for our swim group to start otherwise I would have been swamped. My DH was spectating and later said he saw so many people being removed from the course by staff in Zodiacs that he was worried for me. The DIS friends I did it with--one got seasick and bailed. The joke is that it was like Elsa in Frozen 2 in the dark sea.
I would have been zodiaced

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter