The Running Thread—2023

Wow! That’s incredible. I hope it’s real and we don’t read about a failed drug test down the line. I’m always skeptical of performances far beyond the normal for a sport.

I also wonder if we are approaching an era of "shoe doping" and if running will start to implement rules on "equipment" as they do in cycling.

I also wonder if we are approaching an era of "shoe doping" and if running will start to implement rules on "equipment" as they do in cycling.

Bill Rodgers won the Boston Marathon in 1975 with a time of 2:09:55 wearing a shirt he found in a trash can. The thing I love about running is that equipment can never replace the heart and will it takes to cross the finish line.

Bill Rodgers won the Boston Marathon in 1975 with a time of 2:09:55 wearing a shirt he found in a trash can. The thing I love about running is that equipment can never replace the heart and will it takes to cross the finish line.
True, the elites still have to earn it. But I guarantee that there are (will be) running groups/coaches (can you say Alberto Salazar?) a la Ineos Cycling who will seek the "marginal gains'--and do whatever is necessary to get them that they can get away with.

Records in T&F already are not recognized in wind-aided conditions. Question is whether the ever expanding tech in shoes will reach a point where it will tip some scale.

True, the elites still have to earn it. But I guarantee that there are (will be) running groups/coaches (can you say Alberto Salazar?) a la Ineos Cycling who will seek the "marginal gains'--and do whatever is necessary to get them that they can get away with.

Records in T&F already are not recognized in wind-aided conditions. Question is whether the ever expanding tech in shoes will reach a point where it will tip some scale.
This is already happening with stack height restrictions. It’s getting reduced next year, so we will start to see if it’s the stack or the foam/plates giving these time boosts

I am 57 and admitting limitations only with great reluctance and usually after a lot of denial.

And FWIW, my last marathon was 50-55% walking. Use whatever walk/run mix is needed to just git ‘er done, to use an expression.
I think that’s the part I’m struggling with: I’ve never been able to do more than about 50-55% running, and the running is the part I actually enjoy - I basically deal with the walk intervals only because they allow the run intervals, if that makes sense. If it comes to not being able to run much, I’m out - not because I view walking as lesser in any way, but because it simply isn’t enjoyable for me. I’d rather spend my time doing something else that is!
I'll be 66 next month and have found a new normal by generally forgetting about time and just enjoying the races living in the moment. Giving up all of the unnecessary stress and disappointment of trying to keep up with the 50something version of me (when I started running) has been liberating.
I’ve never enjoyed chasing time and only ever ran because it felt good, so I don’t have a fall back, KWIM? If it doesn’t feel good anymore, why bother? Other than the fact that I spent the money on race registrations. After those are done, that may be the end.

I had other things quoted and don’t know where they went… oh well.

I’ll just throw this in and leave it: I’m being humbled in a big way. When the chronic pain and fatigue first hit, I pushed through it - both with running and with everything else demanded of me in life. I fought back. When the pain progressed, I accepted that okay, my marathon days are over: I can deal with that. But I genuinely thought 13.1 and multi-day events were still fine - it never once occurred to me that within 3 months they might be out of reach, too. THAT’s hitting me hard. I LOVE the act of running. Not the races, not the times, not any kind of performance, but the simple motion of running. To not have that very basic thing feel good anymore is… shocking. What if in another 3 months, I can’t even manage 6 miles of run-walk? 3 months after that, will 3 miles be out, too? It’s heavy.

I’m going to try just doing longer walk intervals on long runs the next few weeks and see how that fees - ft it’s enough to find enjoyment in the running I can do, great! If not… IDK. Do what I can, DNF and collect the medal, and call it an over-priced 10K, maybe. Trying to find a positive in all this… think of the money I’ll be saving on shoes going forward!

Basically, my training now consists of 4 run days, a long run on the weekend, that ramps up in mileage towards a race day (every 3 or 4 weeks I do a slight reduction in long run mileage as an easier week). Although, I never let a run go over 3 hours, so I top out at about 19-20 miles at the peak. Then the rest of the week I mix in a 8-11 mile tempo run, an 8-13 mile "slow" run, and a speed day between 6-8 miles. Weekly mileage peaks right around 50 miles per week. On days I am not running, I do rowing as cross-training.

Sounds quite similar to a FIRST methodology. The cross training/rowing days are helping to act as non-recovery, but simulate easy running days. So I wouldn't say what you're doing is all that abnormal for a method that's been shown to work for some people. Based on your PRs, easy pace and staying in Zone 2 based on HR, you're doing "train slow to race fast" even if it doesn't quite feel like it based on what you may be reading elsewhere.

I think that’s the part I’m struggling with: I’ve never been able to do more than about 50-55% running, and the running is the part I actually enjoy - I basically deal with the walk intervals only because they allow the run intervals, if that makes sense. If it comes to not being able to run much, I’m out - not because I view walking as lesser in any way, but because it simply isn’t enjoyable for me. I’d rather spend my time doing something else that is!

I’ve never enjoyed chasing time and only ever ran because it felt good, so I don’t have a fall back, KWIM? If it doesn’t feel good anymore, why bother? Other than the fact that I spent the money on race registrations. After those are done, that may be the end.

I had other things quoted and don’t know where they went… oh well.

I’ll just throw this in and leave it: I’m being humbled in a big way. When the chronic pain and fatigue first hit, I pushed through it - both with running and with everything else demanded of me in life. I fought back. When the pain progressed, I accepted that okay, my marathon days are over: I can deal with that. But I genuinely thought 13.1 and multi-day events were still fine - it never once occurred to me that within 3 months they might be out of reach, too. THAT’s hitting me hard. I LOVE the act of running. Not the races, not the times, not any kind of performance, but the simple motion of running. To not have that very basic thing feel good anymore is… shocking. What if in another 3 months, I can’t even manage 6 miles of run-walk? 3 months after that, will 3 miles be out, too? It’s heavy.

I’m going to try just doing longer walk intervals on long runs the next few weeks and see how that fees - ft it’s enough to find enjoyment in the running I can do, great! If not… IDK. Do what I can, DNF and collect the medal, and call it an over-priced 10K, maybe. Trying to find a positive in all this… think of the money I’ll be saving on shoes going forward!
Praying for you that that is later rather than sooner. Ditto on enjoying the running and dreading the day when I can’t.

Sounds quite similar to a FIRST methodology. The cross training/rowing days are helping to act as non-recovery, but simulate easy running days. So I wouldn't say what you're doing is all that abnormal for a method that's been shown to work for some people. Based on your PRs, easy pace and staying in Zone 2 based on HR, you're doing "train slow to race fast" even if it doesn't quite feel like it based on what you may be reading elsewhere.
My best half marathon was on the FIRST three day a week plan. It was interesting only have three runs a week, but having to psyche myself up for every run since they were all hard, was draining.

That’s why I got out of heavy lifting as I’ve gotten older. Having to put on slayer for every set is mentally taxing

DH socks are bunching up with the ASICS Nimbus 24 and with the ASICS 23 Knit, both of which have the stretchy tongue and fabric. He tried cheap socks, thin socks, Feetures Merino socks, they all bunch. He took off his socks in the middle of his LR last weekend. Anybody experienced something similar and have recommendations, please?

DH socks are bunching up with the ASICS Nimbus 24 and with the ASICS 23 Knit, both of which have the stretchy tongue and fabric. He tried cheap socks, thin socks, Feetures Merino socks, they all bunch. He took off his socks in the middle of his LR last weekend. Anybody experienced something similar and have recommendations, please?

It sounds like it’s not a sock issue but a shoe issue. I’m guessing his foot is sliding back and forth inside the shoe causing the socks to bunch up. It could be that the shoes are too big, or that he needs to lock them down more. Is he getting any heel slippage? Perhaps a runners knot could help.

For everyone flying Southwest for W&D, MW, DL, and Princess—they’re having a 50% off sale now with code WOW50 —I saved $76 round trip off my DL flights
This is a bad year to be planning a drive to MW (from PA). The flights we currently have booked -- but expect to cancel -- are now $104 round trip per person thanks to this sale/deal. Our gas will end up being significantly more (not to mention the miles on the car).

This is a bad year to be planning a drive to MW (from PA). The flights we currently have booked -- but expect to cancel -- are now $104 round trip per person thanks to this sale/deal. Our gas will end up being significantly more (not to mention the miles on the car).
Dang. I'm going to pay nearly that much to drive from Georgia (and back).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter