• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

The Running Thread—2023

I am so excited about this afternoon shoe shopping! I will be able to say more than » I run in ASICS Nimbus and DH’s socks are bunching » 😝 on the next conversation.

It all started last week when I was waiting for DD after her 5k. Others from the podium and I concluded that she could do better than beat up ASICS GT-2000 for racing 😳 DD is frugal in many ways but is slowly accepting the need for better or newer equipment. It helped that she was offered a discount at the store where her fellow finishers worked.

So this afternoon we discovered Boutique Endurance in Montréal. They took a solid hour with us, are super knowledgeable and passionate, I highly recommend. Plus, Jean Talon Market, Little Italy and St-Hubert Plaza are all walking distance from there.

This is what we came home with:
IMG_3341.jpeg
DD choose Saucony Endorphin Speed 3 for road racing, she found that they were holding her feet better than the Pro. She also picked ASICS Hyper Speed for training and for track (no plating, acceptable stack height).

DH is trying Saucony Triumph 21. He is hoping that they will be comfortable for his first Marathon as his old non bunching ASICS Nimbus 23 are feeling flat.

Finally, I am trying ASICS Novablast 3. They will probably be best for trying to beat my 10k official PR. I will decide later what I wear for the Marathon. When we returned home, older DD saw them and found them so beautiful that she said she would like some like that
« Those are so cool » 😎

Last edited:
My goodness, the number of armchair race organizers in the social media comments about the cancelled Twin Cities races today is insane! I was at the finish area right about when the mid-3hr runners would’ve been finishing, and the sun was wicked hot, and I’m sure it was worse out on the road. I can’t even imagine how hard it would’ve been for the 5-6hr runners would’ve had to deal with later in the day.

I'm always so amazed at everyone's monthly totals. I don't know how you guys do it! I only had 35 miles for September, though I did take some days off early in the month for vacation and missed 9 days at the end of the month with being sick and rain on top of rain on top of rain. Hoping October goes a little better.
Good luck with your October goals. Life sometimes just gets in the way of training. My family and I went to Disney World for Labor Day weekend and the following week we went to Universal for Halloween Horror Nights. Between those two weekend trips and getting a cold, my strength training was cut in half from what I did in August. It happens.

Just keep plugging away and do what you can do.

September was a bit of an uneven month that turned out to be a good bit lower mileage than planned due to a combination of a couple of missed runs and cutting my 40m race off at 20m due to a combination of bad weather and deteriorating trail conditions. October probably won't be much better, as DW and I are headed to WDW for our anniversary this weekend and I have a 24 hour race the following weekend for which who knows how ready I really am. There'll be some time off needed after that before kicking into Dopey training mid-cycle. Running feels like I'm trying to ride a mechanical bull right now. Anyway, here are September's numbers:

September Training Summary
Running Miles: 121.43 mi
Running Time: 23:58:57
Average Pace: 11:46/mi
Average HR: 142/min
YTD Mileage: 1,121.83 mi

Other
Walking: 20.61 mi
Rolling yearly running: 1,471.80 mi

My goodness, the number of armchair race organizers in the social media comments about the cancelled Twin Cities races today is insane! I was at the finish area right about when the mid-3hr runners would’ve been finishing, and the sun was wicked hot, and I’m sure it was worse out on the road. I can’t even imagine how hard it would’ve been for the 5-6hr runners would’ve had to deal with later in the day.
🙄

Also the "you better refund me!" comments. Most races are non-refundable and by clicking that little box when registering, everyone accepts the policies.

The social media comments are brutal. I ran TCM in 2022 and it took me 5 hours and the weather at 1PM was like 73 and sunny, but low humidity. I thought that was borderline too hot and certainly warmer than I was hoping. I think the start temp was closer to 50 (and dry). Luckily I wasn't signed up to run but I would have been destroyed by a 70 degree high-humidity start and an 80+ degree finish with full sun all morning. Seems like everyone who was saying the cancellation was ridiculous are the people running sub 3.5h hour marathons which is just not the majority at TCM. I went for a run in the afternoon yesterday once the sun wasn't so high and the air was just stifling. I only did three miles at an easy pace and my HR was higher than my 5k race HR. The water stops at TCM also weren't very frequent (definitely not every mile) and I just know the race would have been a disaster for a significant % of runners, especially since the attitude around hydration vests is often "don't wear one, too heavy, there's plenty of water on the course" :sad2:

🙄

Also the "you better refund me!" comments. Most races are non-refundable and by clicking that little box when registering, everyone accepts the policies.
Yeah. I’d like to get my medals (without driving to the other side of the Cities (again)) and I wouldn’t mind some kind of discount and/or guaranteed, non-complimentary, entry to next year’s TC 10 Miler, but I’m not going to demand a refund when it’s right there in the T&C that nothing is guaranteed.

September running
Miles = 78
Avg pace = 10:19
Runs per week = 4.6
Avg miles/run = 4.1

September was OK running-wise, though I wish my long runs (10 mi) were a few miles longer to give me more confidence heading into a half marathon next weekend. Can't decide if I want to start off with the 2:10 pacer and see how long I can hang or start more conservatively with the hope of picking it up later in the race. Either way, my goal is to stay mentally strong the entire race and finish in less than 2:20.
10 miles is plenty enough distance for a half. You’ll do fine on race day, and should beat that 2:20 goal.

September Totals

Running

Miles: 90.73
Time: 15:25:09
Avg HR: 146
Avg Pace: 10:13

Walking
Miles: 2.56
Time: 0:54:11

Strength Training
Workouts: 8
Time: 3:56:47

It was a good month! I got in two 10-mile runs for my upcoming half at the beginning of November, which made September my highest mileage month this year. Without a marathon on the calendar, I don't feel the need to do more than 20-25 miles/week. Maybe I'll hit 100 in October, but I'm not too worried about it!

I also started back up with strength training, trying to do 4 days/week. The first leg day almost killed me, but the latest session wasn't too bad.

I am so excited about this afternoon shoe shopping! I will be able to say more than » I run in ASICS Nimbus and DH’s socks are bunching » 😝 on the next conversation.

It all started last week when I was waiting for DD after her 5k. Others from the podium and I concluded that she could do better than beat up ASICS GT-2000 for racing 😳 DD is frugal in many ways but is slowly accepting the need for better or newer equipment. It helped that she was offered a discount at the store where her fellow finishers worked.

So this afternoon we discovered Boutique Endurance in Montréal. They took a solid hour with us, are super knowledgeable and passionate, I highly recommend. Plus, Jean Talon Market, Little Italy and St-Hubert Plaza are all walking distance from there.

This is what we came home with:
View attachment 798530
DD choose Saucony Endorphin Speed 3 for road racing, she found that they were holding her feet better than the Pro. She also picked ASICS Hyper Speed for training and for track (no plating, acceptable stack height).

DH is trying Saucony Triumph 21. He is hoping that they will be comfortable for his first Marathon as his old non bunching ASICS Nimbus 23 are feeling flat.

Finally, I am trying ASICS Novablast 3. They will probably be best for trying to beat my 10k official PR. I will decide later what I wear for the Marathon. When we returned home, older DD saw them and found them so beautiful that she said she would like some like that
« Those are so cool » 😎
:thumbsup2
Narrator: There are places to be frugal, but shoes are not that place.

September total: 51.7mi (11 hours, 29min)

This was well short of what was scheduled in my plan, but I'm happy that I was able to complete even this much. Things have to get serious starting this month because Dopey is not something to be trifled with.

As a side note: if any of you live near an under armour outlet and have been looking for a hydration belt (or an extra), we picked one up for under $20 a couple of weeks ago. They're nathan belts with the UA logo on them. It just barely fits my iphone 13pro with a slim-ish otterbox case.

Does anyone know if can combine two activities in Garmin Connect? I had to stop my run in the middle today to change the intervals (Forerunner 55 won't let you do this in the middle of an activity). But now I want to combine those two runs into one if possible. I tried Googling, but all I found was some complicated advice from years ago.

Does anyone know if can combine two activities in Garmin Connect? I had to stop my run in the middle today to change the intervals (Forerunner 55 won't let you do this in the middle of an activity). But now I want to combine those two runs into one if possible. I tried Googling, but all I found was some complicated advice from years ago.
I've done it by exporting the tcx files and merging them into one, then reimporting as a new activity. .tcx are basic XML files that are easy to manipulate, but you need to be used to editing tags and such.

I found a few sites with ideas. I've combined GPX file before but never full activities myself.

https://coda.io/@tonypelosi/how-to-combine-2-activities-from-a-garmin-device
https://forums.garmin.com/apps-soft...in-connect-web/59993/merge-activities-feature

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter