The Running Thread—2023

With the Gold Bond stick, you definitely know it's on. LOL. Sometimes the problem is getting it off. I also use Gold Bond for trips to the park or if I am going to be at the baseball field coaching all day long. I will say, that it also helps sooths hot spots if you apply it before bed.

With the bodyglide STICK, so it's like a deodorant bar of wax and I never felt confident that I had gotten it everywhere I wanted it or gotten full coverage (if that makes sense.) It always felt a little bit sticky on my skin until I got hot, which was annoying.
I totally get that with the Bodyglide. The Gold Bond has a thinner consistency which I think is part of why I like it so much. It’s a lot easier to apply and I know it’s on once I do.

I use Body Glide (applied morning of a race, in room) and, for a specific location in my back, some KT tape (applied by DH, DD or DM prior to traveling to wherever I will be running if they won’t be with me).

I got a new product sample to try at my last race. It’s called CUTIBase Sport. I will report back if I like it. It is more like a gel.

Looking for anti-chafe product recommendations. I'm out of BodyGlide and open to trying something new--not sure if it's just the hot/humid summer or what, but I've had a lot more chafing. Major criteria are:Long lasting, easy application, preferably no (obnoxious) smell.
For skin-on-skin, 2 Tom’s SportShiled roll-on. It’s the ONLY thing I’ve found that stands up to sweat and humidity in FL. ETA: a big plus for 2 Toms is that it’ scentless and doesn’t stain. I’ll use Body Glide under clothing that can pinch, like a waistband: it acts more like a buffer between fabric and skin and is almost sticky in that it keeps the fabric from moving around. Which is exactly why I think it’s terrible for skin-on-skin spots!
As an add-on for body glide, do y'all apply it in the room or in the corrals? My running belt is small and I don't want to carry it with me to the corrals, but I'm afraid of applying it too soon.
2 Toms makes little single-use packets - I’ll bring one of those to the corrals with me.

Last edited:
It’s been a rough couple of months for me. I had an abnormal EKG and was referred to a cardiologist who told me I shouldn’t run a marathon or train too hard until I had some tests. I had to make the difficult decision to defer my entry to Berlin until next year. It ended up being sort of a blessing in disguise, because on Monday I had to say goodbye to my little 17 1/2 year old dog who’s been with me since he was a puppy. Had I kept my travel plans to Berlin, I wouldn’t have been with him at the end. Give your furbabies extra hugs ❤️

Thankfully, I had the final test today and was told everything is fine and I’m cleared to run. Mentally, it’s been a whirlwind and I’ve lost a lot of steam and training, though. I am still planning on showing up for Chicago, but my plan will just be to finish.

It’s been a rough couple of months for me. I had an abnormal EKG and was referred to a cardiologist who told me I shouldn’t run a marathon or train too hard until I had some tests. I had to make the difficult decision to defer my entry to Berlin until next year. It ended up being sort of a blessing in disguise, because on Monday I had to say goodbye to my little 17 1/2 year old dog who’s been with me since he was a puppy. Had I kept my travel plans to Berlin, I wouldn’t have been with him at the end. Give your furbabies extra hugs ❤️

Thankfully, I had the final test today and was told everything is fine and I’m cleared to run. Mentally, it’s been a whirlwind and I’ve lost a lot of steam and training, though. I am still planning on showing up for Chicago, but my plan will just be to finish.

Wow. Such a lot to go through. Glad to hear you are physically fine, but the emotional hit of losing your dog and dealing with all that is painful. Hope you get some enjoyment out of doing Chicago. And my 17 yr old dog sends virtual hugs.

Wow. Such a lot to go through. Glad to hear you are physically fine, but the emotional hit of losing your dog and dealing with all that is painful. Hope you get some enjoyment out of doing Chicago. And my 17 yr old dog sends virtual hugs.
I'm sorry, @Marebear_runs. We put my dog down last week. It sucks. :(
I’m so sorry. It is awful!

Sorry to hear about your pupper. I had a rough year too, that constantly derailed me but I managed to survive my half a few weeks back. You can do it!

I'm sorry, @Marebear_runs. We put my dog down last week. It sucks. :(
Sorry for both of your losses. It’s never easy.

Thanks to all for the recommendations for anti-chafe stuff. I ordered both the 2Toms and the Gold Bond. The 2 Toms is definitely more challenging to apply (is the roll-on ball really rolling?) I would like to provide an assessment of its performance.....but I cut my run short after 1/4 mile. It appears I have developed a (self-diagnosed) case of patellar tendinitis. (I blame hills) Pretty poor timing as I am in the prime portion of marathon training. I plan to take a week off and see what happens.

As usual, it is something that I have never had before and I am already sick of the voices in my head saying "rest, ice, NSAID, strengthen your leg muscles (which I already do so what else are you going to tell me!)

Can you post a screen shot of the page with chart you’re looking at?
I was looking at the Hanson’s Half Marathon Plan. Unless I read this wrong, they are suggesting to use Tempo pace as the race pace. It works for the marathon, but I believe that it’s off for the half. IMG_0199.png

I was looking at the Hanson’s Half Marathon Plan. Unless I read this wrong, they are suggesting to use Tempo pace as the race pace. It works for the marathon, but I believe that it’s off for the half. View attachment 796139

While it's a Hansons Half Marathon book, that's a copy/paste standard pacing chart from their marathon book. So while they refer to a 8:46 min/mile as "Tempo" that's just a title for a type of run. It doesn't mean that a 1:50:00 HM time would be run at 8:46 min/mile, but does mean a 3:50:00 M is run at a 8:46 min/mile. I don't have that book, but it's entirely possible that the workouts in the training plans labeled as "Tempo" should be run at marathon pace and not half marathon pace. You do those two types of workouts wildly different. And to be clear, other authors define "Tempo" as something completely different and it's not always a catch-all to refer to race pace for the desired race distance based on the training plan. Some people refer to "Tempo" runs as runs that align with a 60 min race pace. And others use "Tempo" to refer exclusively to marathon pace. And others "Tempo" means race pace aligned for the desired race distance you're training for. It's typically individually defined by different authors.

If the workouts in the HM plan are like 2 mile WU + 8 mile Tempo + 2 mile CD, then that's assuredly marathon pace for "Tempo". That's not overly aggressive for a marathon paced training run, but would be aggressive for a half marathon paced run. If the workout in the HM plan is 2 mile WU + 4 x 1 mile Tempo + 2 mile CD, then it could potentially be half marathon pace or marathon pace and in isolation I wouldn't be able to tell you. I have to believe though that the book spells it out in the text.

Either way, the chart isn't wrong. 8:46 min/mile pace is the pace needed to run a 3:50:00 marathon, and they defined "Tempo" as marathon tempo in this book.

Thanks to all for the recommendations for anti-chafe stuff. I ordered both the 2Toms and the Gold Bond. The 2 Toms is definitely more challenging to apply (is the roll-on ball really rolling?) I would like to provide an assessment of its performance.....but I cut my run short after 1/4 mile. It appears I have developed a (self-diagnosed) case of patellar tendinitis. (I blame hills) Pretty poor timing as I am in the prime portion of marathon training. I plan to take a week off and see what happens.

As usual, it is something that I have never had before and I am already sick of the voices in my head saying "rest, ice, NSAID, strengthen your leg muscles (which I already do so what else are you going to tell me!)
I *hate* it when the voices in my head aren’t saying what I want to hear…

With regards to the discussions on tempo runs, Hansons, run slow to go fast, etc., do other people not have these methods/suggestions not work for them? I've seen a big push of articles and videos recently on the "run slow to go fast" advice, but I have never had success with the "slow" pace that these methods suggest. I have tried some of those suggestions in past marathon trainings and they were the worst races I have had. I'm not a super fast runner, my marathon times are about 3:50-3:55 and halfs at 1:45-1:50. So, marathon pace is in the 9min per mile pace, which usually suggests slow pace of 10-11 minutes (the suggestion is sometimes to run 80% of your weekly mileage at that pace). The effort difference of 10-11 minute per mile paces and 9 minute paces over a marathon is pretty large, and as mentioned when I tried to follow this plan, on race day I simply could not sustain the 9 minute pace over the full course distance. It seems to me conditioning yourself with that much mileage at that much slower of a pace doesn't get you ready for the effort level you need on race day. Now, I am not saying I run every single training mile full out, but my "easy days", "slow pace" falls closer to a 9:30 minute mile, and still use speed/tempo days.

I always feel like an oddball when I hear about people on these slow paces, or read articles on the slow, long run advice, as I don't seem to be able to get it to work for me.

With regards to the discussions on tempo runs, Hansons, run slow to go fast, etc., do other people not have these methods/suggestions not work for them? I've seen a big push of articles and videos recently on the "run slow to go fast" advice, but I have never had success with the "slow" pace that these methods suggest. I have tried some of those suggestions in past marathon trainings and they were the worst races I have had. I'm not a super fast runner, my marathon times are about 3:50-3:55 and halfs at 1:45-1:50. So, marathon pace is in the 9min per mile pace, which usually suggests slow pace of 10-11 minutes (the suggestion is sometimes to run 80% of your weekly mileage at that pace). The effort difference of 10-11 minute per mile paces and 9 minute paces over a marathon is pretty large, and as mentioned when I tried to follow this plan, on race day I simply could not sustain the 9 minute pace over the full course distance. It seems to me conditioning yourself with that much mileage at that much slower of a pace doesn't get you ready for the effort level you need on race day. Now, I am not saying I run every single training mile full out, but my "easy days", "slow pace" falls closer to a 9:30 minute mile, and still use speed/tempo days.

I always feel like an oddball when I hear about people on these slow paces, or read articles on the slow, long run advice, as I don't seem to be able to get it to work for me.
I’m a very slow runner (13:30 mile HM), and I can’t really run much slower than my HM pace, so I just train at HM pace (with attempts at T+D adjustments)

I've worked with about 250 people ranging from 2:50 marathon to 7:30 marathon thus far. The vast majority perform better when they train under a methodology of running the majority of their training slow/easy effort and the remainder of the training as specificity for the event. That doesn't mean that the Hansons method, or Daniels method, or Fitzgerald method, or Galloway method, etc. all work for everyone, but that in the general sense the basic tenet of train slow to race fast works for most all. The finer details of each type of methodology then separates gains further. If I had to put a number on it, I'd say it's close to 97-98% of the runners I've worked with fall under this umbrella.

So what about the remaining 2-3% of runners? I would say most of those, but not all, don't ever really buy into the concept. They can't wrap their heads around training slower most of the time, and thus they always continue to creep faster on their paces to the point that they're not doing slow training anymore. And when it comes to race day and they don't see the progress they hoped for, it turns around again on whether they went as slow as they should have.

But what about the tiny sliver of runners remaining after those two above scenarios? The answer is yes. I've seen a small handful of runners that no matter which methodology we use we don't seem to see improvements like I would expect. And when we try to be a little more aggressive on the pacing than I'd like, we start to see some movement in race times. So not impossible that you might be one of these people, but in my experience they're fairly rare.

If you're up for it, I'd love to dive into your data to see what I can find in terms of relationships between your training and race performance. I know from past experience that when I do this type of dive into someone's data in public (instead of in DMs) that some other users have found the information gleaned useful for their own experience. But I know some people prefer privacy/anonymity as well.

Just on the basis of a 1:45 HM time, I would calculate training paces around the following (although this needs to be current fitness and something achieved in the last six months or so):

Screenshot 2023-09-22 at 2.39.34 PM.png

Hansons says:

Screenshot 2023-09-22 at 2.40.31 PM.png

Daniels says:

Screenshot 2023-09-22 at 2.41.14 PM.png

So based on a 1:45 HM current fitness level, the 9:30 average pace you do for easy days sounds about in line with all these. I say 9:20-10:00 (where the average pace you run each week is going to be around 9:20), Hansons says 9:20-10:50, and Daniels says 9:20-10:17.

Marathon time wise, if you ran a marathon when you were in 1:45 HM fitness, then based on real world recreational runner data, I would expect a marathon time with the following probabilities:

6% of runners with a 1:45 HM fitness run a M under similar conditions of a 3:39 or better
10% of runners with a 1:45 HM fitness run a M under similar conditions of a 3:41 or better
25% of runners with a 1:45 HM fitness run a M under similar conditions of a 3:45 or better
50% of runners with a 1:45 HM fitness run a M under similar conditions of a 3:53 or better

You're currently running marathons in the 3:50-3:55 range which would translate to something roughly 47.8-64.8% percentile. Which says to me that based on your 1:45 HM there's still some more juice to squeeze. Those that are good converters from short distances to long distance tend to share the following characteristics in their training plans:

"Conclusions

The conclusions we can draw from this:

-If HM performance is equal, women are likelier to finish with a faster M time than men.
-Runners of all abilities are capable of a 1.06 or less, and roughly the top 10% of all subgroups from 1:20 HM'ers to 2:00 HM'ers were roughly the same R value (or relative performance).
-Faster runners are better converters with a lower R overall average. Makes sense then why Rigel came up with 1.06 since the elite runners available to him would have been a similar pool to the faster runners in Williams dataset.
-Runners on the slower side of the HM performances tend to have more variability as a group because of the bad converters in their groups, not because of the lack of good converters. So more people on the slower side of HM performance training inappropriately for marathon performance.
-Roughly 5:00 to 5:30 hours per week on average for a marathon training plan is considered "typical" or "sufficient" by Williams.
-Those who run more than 5:00-5:30 hours per week are more successful at being good converters than are runners who run less than 5:00-5:30 hours per week.
-Those who do 5L around 100 barely appear different than those around lesser or higher numbers. The 5L would suggest it is lower on the predictive nature than other variables.
-Those who have 5L be a lower % of total mileage from 16 weeks tend to be the best converters. The faster runners also tend to be the ones with lower %5L values. Relying less on the long runs and more balance yields a better relative performance.
-Those who train at 40-80 seconds slower than race pace more often than not will be a good converter and have a R less than 1.15."

Ian Williams: An Updated Race Equivalency Calculator Attempt

If you'd like to go into more detail, answer the following:

1) What are your PRs and when did they occur?
2) What are all your race times that cover the span of time in which PRs occurred or the last 4 years (whichever is longer in time)?
3) Chronologically, what were each of the training plans you've followed and when? And when you did them, did you do them by the book/as written, or did you go off plan with edits?
4) If you can provide the training data either through Strava or Garmin, I can look at different aspects of the training and race pace plans. My preference is Strava because I find it an easier interface to comb other people's data in.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter