The Running Thread—2023

Curious to hear your thoughts on the Novablast 3 when you get them. They’re on my radar.

Got the Novablast 3 this past weekend. I feel like they made an improvement in the forefoot cushioning over the Novablast 2. I feel like that part of the shoe is a little bouncier now. I think this will be my half marathon shoe for MW, possibly the marathon also if the Gel Nimbus 25 turns out to be too much cushioning for my taste. That is a experiment in progress.

Got the Novablast 3 this past weekend. I feel like they made an improvement in the forefoot cushioning over the Novablast 2. I feel like that part of the shoe is a little bouncier now. I think this will be my half marathon shoe for MW, possibly the marathon also if the Gel Nimbus 25 turns out to be too much cushioning for my taste. That is an experiment in progress.
Thanks for the report! I think I’m going to try a pair.

Looking for anti-chafe product recommendations. I'm out of BodyGlide and open to trying something new--not sure if it's just the hot/humid summer or what, but I've had a lot more chafing. Major criteria are:Long lasting, easy application, preferably no (obnoxious) smell.

Looking for anti-chafe product recommendations. I'm out of BodyGlide and open to trying something new--not sure if it's just the hot/humid summer or what, but I've had a lot more chafing. Major criteria are:Long lasting, easy application, preferably no (obnoxious) smell.
I had to try Gold Bond in a pinch and I actually love it. I used to use body glide and Squirrel Nut Butter doubled up but the gold bond by itself has been enough for me. I am a very heavy sweater who has had her share of chafing!

https://www.goldbond.com/en-us/products/friction-defense

Depending on where you want to use it (because it is oily), I like 2Toms Sport Shield roll-on. I use it on my toes. It worked for preventing blisters on my toes when Body Glide wouldn’t. I think if you let it dry before putting on clothes, it may not stain. I’ve never used it anywhere other than my feet, so I don’t know if it actually would stain or not.

Depending on where you want to use it (because it is oily), I like 2Toms Sport Shield roll-on. I use it on my toes. It worked for preventing blisters on my toes when Body Glide wouldn’t. I think if you let it dry before putting on clothes, it may not stain. I’ve never used it anywhere other than my feet, so I don’t know if it actually would stain or not.
Specifically related to toes, I use Injinji toe socks, which totally prevents skin-to-skin rubbing of toes.

So I used BodyGlide for years after first hearing of it in advance of a 2006 visit to Walt Disney World. It did relatively well. However, during my first marathon in 2019, I developed a massively huge blister that at best BodyGlide prevented from being even larger. For my second marathon, I tried 2Toms SportShield. I found it worked even better than BodyGlide. However, I still keep BodyGlide or GoldBond around.

I find that 2Toms SportShield does the best job at preventing chafing issues in the first place. However, on rare occasion, an issue crops up after the fact. And when something does come up, I find that BodyGlide does a better job at soothing the trouble spot.
As an add-on for body glide, do y'all apply it in the room or in the corrals? My running belt is small and I don't want to carry it with me to the corrals, but I'm afraid of applying it too soon.
Always in the room. I've never had a problem with it losing its effectiveness including during races and even long days in the parks that don't involve races.

Specifically related to toes, I use Injinji toe socks, which totally prevents skin-to-skin rubbing of toes.
I use Injinjis as well, and even then manage to get some blisters with the way my toes want to chafe on each other. On the known problem spots, I also apply some mole skin before the races.

You might want to check out some of the cycling chamois creams. Some of them are a little pasty and last a long time. Zealios and Assos are two of them.

Why do you prefer a roll on to a stick? I'm not sure I know what the difference is.
with a roll-on, i KNOW it's on. it's more like a silicone liquid in looks, and it's there with one pass. And I feel like it's easier to "spread it out" a little bit right after I put it on compared to bodyglide.

With the bodyglide STICK, so it's like a deodorant bar of wax and I never felt confident that I had gotten it everywhere I wanted it or gotten full coverage (if that makes sense.) It always felt a little bit sticky on my skin until I got hot, which was annoying.

I can grab a pic of stick v roll-on if that would be helpful.

I will 100% grab a popsicle stick of vaseline from a med tent during disney races if I feel like any of the coverage of either products is wearing off, or if I have a random spot starting to get irritated.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter