The 4th Annual Christmas Shopping Thread!!

I almost had a panick attach last night! My mom was watching QVC and saw the Nook Color and was talking about ordering it. I told my self that if she ordered it....I was done with Christmas gifts for her!!
My mom is the easiest to buy for, but she has a tendency to tell you what she wants for christmas (like the e-reader) and then go out and buy it:headache:

Luckily she didn't get it.

Hi,

Joing in here!

Haven't started my Christmas shopping yet...both my girls have summer birthdays and with our Disney trip just a little over a month away we've been busy taking care of those things first :)

DD who just turned 8 got a Nook color for her birthday and can't get enough B&N gift cards for e-books and regular books, I'm sure I'll be picking up at least one for her for Christmas. She also loves art, and we got her some real art supplies for her birthday, so I might pick up a few more supplies for her. Not sure what else for her yet. Probably some stuff from Justice too.

DD who just turned 5 loves anything in the toy aisles :laughing: so she should be pretty easy to buy for.

Also, we love AG here too, so we'll likely be getting more AG stuff. Last year the girls got Lanie's camper. They haven't showed much interest in Kanani so I guess we'll see!

I have bought a few things for Christmas.:santa: Mainly Wii stuff for the family gift. :grouphug:Our boys will be 17 and 20:scared1: for Christmas BUT our first grandchild will be 6 months :woohoo:

I just bought a set of Food Network wine glasses at Kohl's yesterday. They were 50% off and I had a 15% discount too. I think I'll give them to my DH. We actually bought a really expensive camera and said that was our Christmas for each other (along with two extra lenses) We have a Christmas budget that we feed all year and that's the amount I have to spend. So I'll have to get creative if I want to get him a few things this year.

I used to always do BF shopping. It was just a lot of fun for me. Sometimes I went with friends and more recently with my daughter. But lately the deals have not been good enough to go out and some things I just get online while in my jammies!

As for a deadline, that's a new concept for me. I usually am finished shortly after Thanksgiving. The sales have been coming sooner and sooner lately, so it makes it easier to finish early. I love this thread!!

I'm back again this year! Got a lot of great ideas last year. Looking forward to it again this year. DS is 12 and very difficult to shop for. :goodvibes

DH:
-Keurig coffee machine
-Coffee Sampler pack
-Coffee storage tower
-Travel mug
-New mug for home with picture of our DD
-Beer Brewing Kit-maybe

Bought a Keurig and coffee for my DH last year. He absolutely loves it!

Here's something I've been doing for several years for my DH that is fun for me and he just loves it: I give him a gift for the 12 days of Christmas. The first year I did it he was so surprised to get in his car and find a small wrapped package there, or come downstairs to find one on the counter. Now, I don't spend a lot of money on most of the items, but it's in place of his stocking. Examples of gifts: Woodworking magazine, Suduko puzzle book, a bag of Starbucks coffee, bottle of wine, chapstik, gum, paperback book. Some are cheap, others not so much. It starts on Dec. 13th and goes to Christmas Eve. Just thought I'd share the thought in case someone wanted to do that or a version of it.:santa:

This is an awesome idea! :thumbsup2

Ok..question for you ladies...when is your Christmas shopping deadline? Mine used to always be October 1. But...since we have our Disney final payment due at the end of Sept, I considered pushing it to Halloween...but then, that only leaves a little over a week before our trip....and I do not want to be focused on that while I am getting ready to go on vacation...so I think Oct 15 will be perfect.That is about 10 weeks away.I am not a BF girl:sad2: Never have been, don't plan on ever doing it! I don't like big crowds so it would be panicky for me!:rotfl: so,let's hear it...what are the deadlines ladies?

I really try to be done by Thanksgiving (well, BF). These past few years I haven't quite accomplished that.

I almost had a panick attach last night! My mom was watching QVC and saw the Nook Color and was talking about ordering it. I told my self that if she ordered it....I was done with Christmas gifts for her!!
My mom is the easiest to buy for, but she has a tendency to tell you what she wants for christmas (like the e-reader) and then go out and buy it:headache:

Luckily she didn't get it.

OMG! That is SO my mom. I knew I wanted to get her a Kindle last year. Then she talking about how she got her husband one the year before and that he liked it, and that she'd like one. I panicked! I bought one for her and sent it out to her, keeping in the back of my mind that if her husband had gotten her one too, I could always return the one I bought, but I was a wreck until she called me when they opened their gifts. Thankfully, he hadn't bought her one.

Hooray for the annual Christmas thread! (I think... :laughing:) Just kidding- Thanks Shawna for keeping me organized each year! :thumbsup2

I haven't started shopping yet. My main goal this year is to stop shopping when enough is enough. Every year I find that "one more little thing" and I'm going to practice some good self control this year. Wish me luck! :laughing:

My list so far...

DS (7)-
Legos of course
Probably a Wii game
We're talking about a Nintendo DS or something like that for him. He has a Leapster but is outgrowing it.
Possibly a new bike? His is a hand me down and has seen better days.

DD(4)-
first big girl bike
Leapster games
Tag books

DH-
no ideas yet

My parents-
no ideas yet

My sister's family-
no ideas yet

My MIL-
I'm most worried about what to get my MIL this year. DH's dad passed away in March and it's going to be a tough time of year for her. For all of us really. I want to get her something that has meaning but that doesn't make her sad.

LOL. I typed this out this morning and the DIS was running really slowly so I couldn't actually post it, so we went about our morning. And things have changed already :). I picked up two things in the Target clearance aisle for DD. Got her a cheer outfit for her AG doll and the cheer slumber party set (she isn't insistent that everything for her AG doll be AG brand, so I can pick up the Our Generations accessories :thumbsup2).

So, shopping has begun a little, but I do have my list started, although I'm really struggling for ideas for everyone except DD. Here goes so far:

Our little family (me, DH and DD) are going to the Dreamworks Christmas at the Gaylord National in D.C. on December 28th for two nights, so that's the big Santa gift. We will also make a stop at the American Girl store in D.C. and do lunch and whatever else DD wants to do there. So, I'm trying to build Christmas around that to keep me somewhat under control with how much she gets and how much I spend. She's 8 and sort of in outgrowing the toys.

DD8
Suitcase & duffle bag - anyone ever bought from Lillian Vernon? Do they hold up?

AG doll (look like me doll) & a gift card

Ipod docking station & gift card (for her Nano that she got for Easter)

Cake pop maker and I'm going to fill a basket with all the stuff she needs to bake her first batch (she keeps seeing the informercial and I have to admit it looks neat)

TDC gear - this is her dance school and I may do a sweatshirt or jacket

Just Dance 3 for Wii

Stocking stuffers

DH
No idea. He's very hard to buy for

Me
I have a few ideas for myself....I want a pair of cycling shoes and a pair of Dansko's; B&N gift cards for my Nook, we need to beach towels, I want to change my knobs in my kitchen so I need 25 of those, I want a new wall phone for the kitchen. I can make a a list :lmao:

DNiece6 & DNephew3
No ideas yet, but they are pretty easy

DNephew12
No ideas yet, but he's into basketball & skateboarding and of course his Wii & Xbox

In-laws
No clue yet. They are all of sudden putting their house up for sale and downsizing, so we'll see what happens with that and go from there. I'm sure there will be some re-decorating involved.

My parents
No clue yet here either, but my parents are easily pleased.

Grandma
No ideas yet either, but she's easily pleased too.

Just throwing this out there because my nephew loved (and still loves...he's now 3) his work/tool bench. He plays with it all the time. It came with all the tools and a tool belt. He thinks he's something else.

Thanks for the suggestion! We're looking into that and also that cute little grill (though the grill is 3yrs+).

I don't set a deadline. I just shop 'til I'm done...which sometimes is never :)

I don't have a deadline either, except ASAP! :) I like to have a good amount done by Thanksgiving though, so that I can have things wrapped and under the tree when we put it up (weekend after TG). Plus I like to only have a couple of things to search for on black friday, instead of a long list.

Something we've done in past years that's been a huge hit is artwork calendars (instead of pictures). We've scanned artwork the kids have made over the year (in school and at home) and then made collages by month and had them made into a calendar. Usually each month would have an assortment of the various kids, but on their birthday months we made it exclusively their artwork. Here are some examples:

May/June (mothers & fathers day)
may.jpg
june.jpg

Aug (child's birthday month), Dec
aug.jpg
dec.jpg

Just thought I would throw the idea out there for those impossible to buy for grandparents. ;)

I am going to do some shopping for my family while at Disney. I want to get my niece a personalized glass slipper (anyone know where these are?) for Christmas. My brothers fiance loves Nightmare Before Christmas so I will find something along those lines for her. My dad loves anything Disney but he also likes off the wall stuff - I already know I'm bringing him home a drink mug.

We usually don't buy much for the kids cause they get enough from everyone else. We usually just fill the stockings for them and get them 1 or 2 things. I want to get DH something Star Warsish cause he is obsessed.

I am Christmas obsessed and am hoping we have our house before Christmas so I can decorate.

Something we've done in past years that's been a huge hit is artwork calendars (instead of pictures). We've scanned artwork the kids have made over the year (in school and at home) and then made collages by month and had them made into a calendar. Usually each month would have an assortment of the various kids, but on their birthday months we made it exclusively their artwork. Here are some examples:

may.jpg
june.jpg

aug.jpg
dec.jpg

Just thought I would throw the idea out there for those impossible to buy for grandparents. ;)

That's awesome. I'm going to do a much better job of keeping artwork this school year! How did you actually go about creating the calendar? Is there some program out there?

That's awesome. I'm going to do a much better job of keeping artwork this school year! How did you actually go about creating the calendar? Is there some program out there?

I created the layouts in a photo editing type of program (scrapbooking programs work too, there are lots of free options out there) and then to create the calendar I uploaded my saved collages by month as the full page picture for the calendar. I had mine done at Staples, but shutterfly, walgreens, etc all have options on their website to make a monthly calendar where you pick your calendar size and just upload the image you want to use for the top. It was super easy after all the initial scanning. :rolleyes1 We actually used a photograph for the "cover" image, the same one we used for our xmas cards that year.
Here's a link to staples, we selected the 1st option (full bleed, no border).
http://print.staples.com/gallery/AE...all-calendars.aspx?xnav=TsrItem,TsrHeading_01
They were $25 each BUT if you watch the ads you can often get them 40-50% off.

What a great idea. And such talented kiddos as well. Fantastic job!

may.jpg
june.jpg

aug.jpg
dec.jpg

What a great idea! Thank you sor sharing it!!!

LOL. I typed this out this morning and the DIS was running really slowly so I couldn't actually post it, so we went about our morning. And things have changed already :). I picked up two things in the Target clearance aisle for DD. Got her a cheer outfit for her AG doll and the cheer slumber party set (she isn't insistent that everything for her AG doll be AG brand, so I can pick up the Our Generations accessories :thumbsup2).

So, shopping has begun a little, but I do have my list started, although I'm really struggling for ideas for everyone except DD. Here goes so far:

Our little family (me, DH and DD) are going to the Dreamworks Christmas at the Gaylord National in D.C. on December 28th for two nights, so that's the big Santa gift. We will also make a stop at the American Girl store in D.C. and do lunch and whatever else DD wants to do there. So, I'm trying to build Christmas around that to keep me somewhat under control with how much she gets and how much I spend. She's 8 and sort of in outgrowing the toys.

DD8
Suitcase & duffle bag - anyone ever bought from Lillian Vernon? Do they hold up?

I bought my DD one of these suitcases I guess about 7 years ago or so, hers in all pink with her name in black. http://www.lillianvernon.com/Product/HotPinkAndBlackPilotCase

It has held up well, we have travelled alot and moved cross country with it and it doesn't have any tears at all. She's 15 and it will still hold a week's worth of clothes for her. The only complaint I have is that it doesn't stay standing up on it's own, the frame isn't solid, unless they've changed that.

I bought my DD one of these suitcases I guess about 7 years ago or so, hers in all pink with her name in black. http://www.lillianvernon.com/Product/HotPinkAndBlackPilotCase

It has held up well, we have travelled alot and moved cross country with it and it doesn't have any tears at all. She's 15 and it will still hold a week's worth of clothes for her. The only complaint I have is that it doesn't stay standing up on it's own, the frame isn't solid, unless they've changed that.

Thanks. It appears to be made of the same stuff all other luggage is, so I figured why not. And hey, most of the time my samsonite doesn't stand up on it's own.....I'm BAD when it comes to overpacking and have been known to lay over a suitcase to zip it closed ;).

I created the layouts in a photo editing type of program (scrapbooking programs work too, there are lots of free options out there) and then to create the calendar I uploaded my saved collages by month as the full page picture for the calendar.

Ok, so did you use the actual artwork or take a photo of it to use. Pretty sure I know the answer, but I'm not all that crafty and I don't scrap, so I'm asking. There are no dumb questions right ;).

Ok, so did you use the actual artwork or take a photo of it to use. Pretty sure I know the answer, but I'm not all that crafty and I don't scrap, so I'm asking. There are no dumb questions right ;).

No question is dumb! :goodvibes I scanned the artwork (taking a photo of it would work as well) and worked with the scanned images.

We actually scan all of the kids artwork and school projects now and save them electronically for them. Most originals end up in the trash can and a few select pieces get saved in the "boxes" we have for each of them. Less clutter, memories are preserved, and gives me a "catalog" to work with when we re-do calendars around the holidays.

Oh I am in! My 3 year old was singing "Jingle Bells" through the grocery store last week! I love Christmas!!!
DS 3 - a bike and a small rolling suit case from Target for our trip in May.
DS 1 - a tri-cycle and ????
DH - a Kindle

Not sure for everyone else...maybe Disney gift cards for our future trip.

My DH and I love Christmas shopping together, so I am sure this list will grow! We will hit black friday sales! Our oldest son's birthday is a month before Christmas and our youngest son's is the month after, so we try to start early so that it does not all hit at the same time. I try to pick up small stuff or sale stuff through out the year, and try to be done on black friday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter