The 4th Annual Christmas Shopping Thread!!

Disney Mommy 3

DIS Veteran
:wave:Hi everybody!!! It's August 1,so it's time to start planning and saving again! I have done a Christmas shopping thread for the last few summers and some of y'all have been sweet enough to PM lately and ask anxiously when we were gonna start again...so, here you go!! Christmas is 4 months out(as of last Monday, the 25th!)...and we have 21 weeks...so, for those of you who get paid bi-monthly, you have about 8 paychecks left!!!
I don't have too many ideas for our kids yet. I know my dd8 wants the American girl doll of the year, and a couple of her outfits. DS12 would like a little Ipod of his own--the one you can make a watch out of...it's pretty cool!He is the Lego man around here, so I know we will have some Legos under the tree also! DS15 will turn 16 right at the beginning of the month, so who knows!! I have no idea what the 'big ticket' gifts are gonna be, or are already this year...we have never really went by the trends, or what the hype gifts have been with their friends. the only other toys we have been looking at for my daughter are the LaLaLoopsy dolls...I don't even know if that's even how you spell it!! I thought they were soooo cute...she wasn't sure. A friend of ours got her daughter one last week as a bday gift and we got to play with it and they really are toooo cute!! So, after she got to see it out of the box and check it out, she does like it..so Nana might have to buy that!
Well, I am excited to see/read about all of your Christmas plans this year!! Remember...we can also talk about our Holiday menus too!!! Favorite Holiday snax, treats and meals!!! Happy Shopping!!:santa:

Sweet! This is right up my alley! I began shopping two weeks ago, even though DH thinks I'm nuts for doing so. :rotfl2:

I hit the Target toy clearance last week and got quite a few things for DS2 (Lightning McQueen remote control car, some Matchbox cars for his Christmas stocking, etc.). I spent $17 and change for $75 worth of toys, so I strongly suggest those of you near a Target -- if you haven't done so already -- to check the clearance aisles as well as the regular toy aisles for really great clearance sales. This clearance sale happens every July, FYI.

I also got DS some Thomas the Tank Engine trains and a movie from Ebay, so I probably saved at least 50%. (Those buggers are expensive full-price!!! We have a TON of compatible tracks, bridges, etc., from when DD was small, so we're splurging on Thomas trains for DS since DD didn't have too many of those.)

DD is 12, so there won't be TOO MANY toys for her under the tree as she's into older kid stuff. However, since I got the Lightning McQueen remote control cars for DS, I got DD one of those Air Hog RC cars that goes up the walls and onto the ceiling. (Originally $25, marked down to $6!) Otherwise, I think we're going to get her a flatscreen TV for her room if there is a good one on Black Friday. (She's getting her room redone, so this would be something she'd love in her new space.) I may also get her some Disney trading pins (She collects them.).

I am also making things for some people on my list, but I haven't come up with exactly what. I try to only make things that I know will turn out good and for those who will still appreciate a homemade gift. (Not all people appreciate homemade for whatever reason Some nieces and nephews will, unfortunately end up with giftcards!) My brother's girlfriend's kids went nuts when I made them purses last year. (Google "Buttercup Bag" pattern. It's free, easy to sew, and looks pretty nice!) This year, though, I think I might make them nail paint kits. (They sell the nail paints individually at the Dollar Tree, so I figure I can buy some of those, whip up a tote for them, and then do a little instruction manual.)

I also need some $30 Yankee Swap gifts as we do YS for the adults on DH's side. (We don't do an adult exchange on my side, but they do a scratch ticket swap, which we don't participate in because I think it's a waste of money. Usually one person wins, and everyone else just leaves with the gray scratch ticket stuff under their nails. :rotfl2: Last year, I didn't go in on the swap and used a portion of the money instead to make some decoupaged Christmas coasters and some butterbraids for everyone, and they were a hit surprisingly. I have to think of something else this year....)

I'm here to say Hey :rotfl:

When we come back from Disney it will be Oct 25th and that will be when I start shopping unless I pick up some items while at WDW

Christmas shopping is totally on my mind!! We are going to WDW in December and I still have to buy airfare and park tickets for my kids..and pay for dining!!! I usually have some christmas gifts purchased by now. We had a talk with our three older kids and they have the choice of one big gift or a bunch of cheaper stuff. They decided on one laptop and 2 tablets. Seems simple enough! Now I just have to pay for them! :scared1:

Hi there! I've never participated in this thread before, so I'm looking forward to getting to know y'all. :goodvibes

DS will be only about 16 months, so I'm having a hard time finding anything "good" to get him. But I'm not against buying toys for 2 or 3 yr olds and letting him open them. I'll just save them for later in the year or whenever. Thankfully he's still young enough that I can get away with this. :rotfl:

So far I've gotten some good Disney stuff:
-Cars Duplo set from the Disney Store Outlet (!) clearance for only $12
-Toy Story Tag Jr set clearance $12 (a long time ago)
-Handy Manny construction set clearance $12
-Handy Manny Flicker the Flashlight clearance $8

And he's also getting a wooden chalkboard easel ($15 Ikea) and a wooden train set ($15 Ikea). The tracks on this set are sort of compatible with Thomas sets so we'll probably get his first Thomas train as well (DH's choice...I of course prefer Chuggington!).

As for gifts for DH...I have no idea. He loves practical gifts so I usually do okay by getting him things he'd eventually need to buy anyways. I just try to find him things that are better that what he'd normally buy (founds some Ralph Lauren socks on clearance one!).

All the grandparents (4 sets) are getting photobooks from Shutterfly, which I plan to do annually. I bought a Groupon for those that I'm hanging onto for that purpose. Just gotta get the photos organized and wait for the end of the year to get a little closer.

I sew, so I also want to make some things, but fabric is so expensive anymore that it's not ever a money saver.

I make double chocolate chip biscotti to give as gifts every year as well, it always gets rave reviews!

:santa:

I bought my first presents for DD and DH already:cool1: She wanted this arts and crafts box from Constructive Playthings and last year it sold out in October..I ordered it and got free shipping.She also wants Just Dance 3 for Wii and I preordered it ( it comes out in October).I also preordered an xbox game for Dh and Game of Thrones on DVD.I am ahead of the game for once..LOL

I am also making things for some people on my list, but I haven't come up with exactly what. I try to only make things that I know will turn out good and for those who will still appreciate a homemade gift. (Not all people appreciate homemade for whatever reason Some nieces and nephews will, unfortunately end up with giftcards!) My brother's girlfriend's kids went nuts when I made them purses last year. (Google "Buttercup Bag" pattern. It's free, easy to sew, and looks pretty nice!)

If you've got younger kids on your list, I've made these crayon rolls before and given them with some dollar store coloring books and fresh crayons and it's a big hit:
http://thepleatedpoppy.com/2010/05/crayon-roll-tutorial/
I've also altered that design to make it fit makeup brushes for my sister and she really liked it. Might be a good option for a tween/teen girl?

I might make ice cream pint coozie for my mom.
http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2010/11/ice-cream-cozy-and-soda-can-cozytucked.html

I also bought an e-reader pattern on etsy and I'm hoping to make quite a few for friends. The pattern can make covers for all the different brands. I just need to see if I have enough fabric in my stash to make all this work without having to spend too much.

I have to admit....I am one that will start my Christmas shopping the day after Christmas! Gotta love those post-holiday sales. :lmao: My sister thinks I'm nuts. But this year, I'm lagging behind. We are struggling with what to get DS8 this year. He's really at that in-between year, so I'll be anxious to see all of your gifts/ideas. Maybe it'll spark something! :)

not shopping but food
can u help me here
think of 2 parents
3 adults and a 2 and a half year old who now eats almost everything
has to be no longer then hour and a half to 2 hours cooking time
due to me might having to work and my mom not being able to stand

:wave:I know my dd8 wants the American girl doll of the year, and a couple of her outfits. Well, I am excited to see/read about all of your Christmas plans this year!! Remember...we can also talk about our Holiday menus too!!! Favorite Holiday snax, treats and meals!!! Happy Shopping!!:santa:

My DD got Kinani for her 8th birthday this summer. She's GORGEOUS! My DH went behind my back and bought her the whole starter kit. He spoils her rotten ;)

I have a few things for dd7 put away too, but nothing for my boys yet. I picked dd up a sleeping bag, duffel bag and hanging make-up organizer (she can use it for her lotions, scrunchies, etc) at Justice a while back with a 40% off code and stashed it away. I also picked her up the American Girl Me and my Mom book, and a tangled doll and clothing set from the disney store.

Not sure what to get my boys though. DS is turning 10 next week and ds is turning 6 the week after so I'm just trying to get through their birthdays and parties and my sister's wedding (we are all in it!)in Sept before really getting down to business!:goodvibes

My girls are mostly done for this year. (rooms redone already but some things put back till then to "open" and an early trip) but no clue for our parents and family. BUT I have a TON ;) of plastic Christmas theme "tins" from Walmart last year that are going to be used to hold the gifts in, weather food or not.;) I am thinking of doing towers for the parents and smaller ones for Grandma and all our Aunts and Uncles. NOT sure if making cake pops, cookies or some of each.

Teachers are started (baskets of back to school supplies) but thinking of adding to. Maybe more of the plastic tins?:rotfl:

I can't wait for BF ads to come out. Dh might need something too.:rotfl: Maybe a new laptop and some Kinect games?

I also have 2 DD with birthdays around Christmas so got to figure out that. One wants a Kindle and American girl so dont knnow what I want to do for her. No clue for my older DD.

I am glad to know i am not the only one thinking about Christmas already! :)

This is the first year i have almost ZERO ideas for DD4, for the boys, i am thinking the big fisher price car ramp that came out last christmas.

I am looking for any ideas. My boys will be 1.5 and for DH i am clueless!

Glad to join you guys!

Sweet! This is right up my alley! I began shopping two weeks ago, even though DH thinks I'm nuts for doing so. :rotfl2:

I hit the Target toy clearance last week and got quite a few things for DS2 (Lightning McQueen remote control car, some Matchbox cars for his Christmas stocking, etc.). I spent $17 and change for $75 worth of toys, so I strongly suggest those of you near a Target -- if you haven't done so already -- to check the clearance aisles as well as the regular toy aisles for really great clearance sales. This clearance sale happens every July, FYI.

I also got DS some Thomas the Tank Engine trains and a movie from Ebay, so I probably saved at least 50%. (Those buggers are expensive full-price!!! We have a TON of compatible tracks, bridges, etc., from when DD was small, so we're splurging on Thomas trains for DS since DD didn't have too many of those.)

DD is 12, so there won't be TOO MANY toys for her under the tree as she's into older kid stuff. However, since I got the Lightning McQueen remote control cars for DS, I got DD one of those Air Hog RC cars that goes up the walls and onto the ceiling. (Originally $25, marked down to $6!) Otherwise, I think we're going to get her a flatscreen TV for her room if there is a good one on Black Friday. (She's getting her room redone, so this would be something she'd love in her new space.) I may also get her some Disney trading pins (She collects them.).

I am also making things for some people on my list, but I haven't come up with exactly what. I try to only make things that I know will turn out good and for those who will still appreciate a homemade gift. (Not all people appreciate homemade for whatever reason Some nieces and nephews will, unfortunately end up with giftcards!) My brother's girlfriend's kids went nuts when I made them purses last year. (Google "Buttercup Bag" pattern. It's free, easy to sew, and looks pretty nice!) This year, though, I think I might make them nail paint kits. (They sell the nail paints individually at the Dollar Tree, so I figure I can buy some of those, whip up a tote for them, and then do a little instruction manual.)

I also need some $30 Yankee Swap gifts as we do YS for the adults on DH's side. (We don't do an adult exchange on my side, but they do a scratch ticket swap, which we don't participate in because I think it's a waste of money. Usually one person wins, and everyone else just leaves with the gray scratch ticket stuff under their nails. :rotfl2: Last year, I didn't go in on the swap and used a portion of the money instead to make some decoupaged Christmas coasters and some butterbraids for everyone, and they were a hit surprisingly. I have to think of something else this year....)

You are first on the thread!!! Yay for you!! LOL...sounds like you have a good idea already of where you are headed with your gifts this year!!!
I'm here to say Hey :rotfl:

When we come back from Disney it will be Oct 25th and that will be when I start shopping unless I pick up some items while at WDW

Hey Sheila! Glad you came over!! Sounds good- I love to get some Christmas gifts for family at WDW!!!!!
Christmas shopping is totally on my mind!! We are going to WDW in December and I still have to buy airfare and park tickets for my kids..and pay for dining!!! I usually have some christmas gifts purchased by now. We had a talk with our three older kids and they have the choice of one big gift or a bunch of cheaper stuff. They decided on one laptop and 2 tablets. Seems simple enough! Now I just have to pay for them! :scared1:

Hi Wendy!! You are gonna have a great time in December!! And at least if you know what they want, you can start trying to save for it now!!!
Hi there! I've never participated in this thread before, so I'm looking forward to getting to know y'all. :goodvibes

DS will be only about 16 months, so I'm having a hard time finding anything "good" to get him. But I'm not against buying toys for 2 or 3 yr olds and letting him open them. I'll just save them for later in the year or whenever. Thankfully he's still young enough that I can get away with this. :rotfl:

So far I've gotten some good Disney stuff:
-Cars Duplo set from the Disney Store Outlet (!) clearance for only $12
-Toy Story Tag Jr set clearance $12 (a long time ago)
-Handy Manny construction set clearance $12
-Handy Manny Flicker the Flashlight clearance $8

And he's also getting a wooden chalkboard easel ($15 Ikea) and a wooden train set ($15 Ikea). The tracks on this set are sort of compatible with Thomas sets so we'll probably get his first Thomas train as well (DH's choice...I of course prefer Chuggington!).

As for gifts for DH...I have no idea. He loves practical gifts so I usually do okay by getting him things he'd eventually need to buy anyways. I just try to find him things that are better that what he'd normally buy (founds some Ralph Lauren socks on clearance one!).

All the grandparents (4 sets) are getting photobooks from Shutterfly, which I plan to do annually. I bought a Groupon for those that I'm hanging onto for that purpose. Just gotta get the photos organized and wait for the end of the year to get a little closer.

I sew, so I also want to make some things, but fabric is so expensive anymore that it's not ever a money saver.

I make double chocolate chip biscotti to give as gifts every year as well, it always gets rave reviews!

:santa:

Welcome! I don't sew anymore, but I know that fabric and stuff has gotten sooo expensive--I had curtains(roman shades)made a few years back, and even on sale the fabric was high!!!The biscotti sounds delicious!!

I have a DD6 and DS5. For DD, I'm not too sure yet. She likes Kanani, too, but I told her that's only if QVC sells her (which I'm not sure about). She has 2 LaLaLoopsy dolls, and I recommend those. They are cute and more durable than they look. I picked up an outfit for the dolls at Target last week on clearance for $2. Other than that, we'll see. Maybe some AG accessories/clothes? She's getting Julie for her birthday (I think); Julie's been sitting in a closet for about a year now, because I got her at QVC on sale a while back.

For my DS, I found Cruncher, this $100 electronic dinosaur that he's wanted for a year at the Target clearance for $25. I also got him little Lego stocking stuffers for about $1 each... and I think we're going to get him a Nintendo DS of some sort.

For myself and DH, really no idea. No idea for anyone else, either. It seems like my in-laws have everything they need, or they buy it for themselves. We'll see.

I bought my first presents for DD and DH already:cool1: She wanted this arts and crafts box from Constructive Playthings and last year it sold out in October..I ordered it and got free shipping.She also wants Just Dance 3 for Wii and I preordered it ( it comes out in October).I also preordered an xbox game for Dh and Game of Thrones on DVD.I am ahead of the game for once..LOL

Way to go on starting already!! We love our Wii!
I have to admit....I am one that will start my Christmas shopping the day after Christmas! Gotta love those post-holiday sales. :lmao: My sister thinks I'm nuts. But this year, I'm lagging behind. We are struggling with what to get DS8 this year. He's really at that in-between year, so I'll be anxious to see all of your gifts/ideas. Maybe it'll spark something! :)

Hey!! Glad to see you came over!!!Does your son play with Legos? That's been my middle ones big gifts for several Christmases now..I am sure you will get lots of ideas here!
not shopping but food
can u help me here
think of 2 parents
3 adults and a 2 and a half year old who now eats almost everything
has to be no longer then hour and a half to 2 hours cooking time
due to me might having to work and my mom not being able to stand

We will have to be thinking about this to help you out!!! I am sure you will get lots of good suggestions!
Yay! I've started my list, but looking to get some more ideas :)
Glad to have you!! I am a list lover!!!
I have a few things for dd7 put away too, but nothing for my boys yet. I picked dd up a sleeping bag, duffel bag and hanging make-up organizer (she can use it for her lotions, scrunchies, etc) at Justice a while back with a 40% off code and stashed it away. I also picked her up the American Girl Me and my Mom book, and a tangled doll and clothing set from the disney store.

Not sure what to get my boys though. DS is turning 10 next week and ds is turning 6 the week after so I'm just trying to get through their birthdays and parties and my sister's wedding (we are all in it!)in Sept before really getting down to business!:goodvibes
Girl...you are busy this month!!! At least you have a start on your dd's stuff! I am sure you will be able to focus more on Christmas once all this has died down!
My girls are mostly done for this year. (rooms redone already but some things put back till then to "open" and an early trip) but no clue for our parents and family. BUT I have a TON ;) of plastic Christmas theme "tins" from Walmart last year that are going to be used to hold the gifts in, weather food or not.;) I am thinking of doing towers for the parents and smaller ones for Grandma and all our Aunts and Uncles. NOT sure if making cake pops, cookies or some of each.

Teachers are started (baskets of back to school supplies) but thinking of adding to. Maybe more of the plastic tins?:rotfl:

I can't wait for BF ads to come out. Dh might need something too.:rotfl: Maybe a new laptop and some Kinect games?

I also have 2 DD with birthdays around Christmas so got to figure out that. One wants a Kindle and American girl so dont knnow what I want to do for her. No clue for my older DD.
We really love our AG dolls, and I have a NOOK and I love that little thing!!!!
I am glad to know i am not the only one thinking about Christmas already! :)

This is the first year i have almost ZERO ideas for DD4, for the boys, i am thinking the big fisher price car ramp that came out last christmas.

I am looking for any ideas. My boys will be 1.5 and for DH i am clueless!

Glad to join you guys!

:welcome: to our thread and the boards!!!!! I love Fisher Price toys!!! What about a Bitty Baby from American Girl for your DD? I got our daughter one the Christmas she was 4 turning 5 and she still plays with it..they are beautiful and the little clothes are just too cute!

I have a DD6 and DS5. For DD, I'm not too sure yet. She likes Kanani, too, but I told her that's only if QVC sells her (which I'm not sure about). She has 2 LaLaLoopsy dolls, and I recommend those. They are cute and more durable than they look. I picked up an outfit for the dolls at Target last week on clearance for $2. Other than that, we'll see. Maybe some AG accessories/clothes? She's getting Julie for her birthday (I think); Julie's been sitting in a closet for about a year now, because I got her at QVC on sale a while back.

For my DS, I found Cruncher, this $100 electronic dinosaur that he's wanted for a year at the Target clearance for $25. I also got him little Lego stocking stuffers for about $1 each... and I think we're going to get him a Nintendo DS of some sort.

For myself and DH, really no idea. No idea for anyone else, either. It seems like my in-laws have everything they need, or they buy it for themselves. We'll see.
:welcome: to the thread!! We got Julie for her last bday and she loves her...she loves all of them!! LOL..Julie was cuter in person than on the interner, by far!!! She saved up her money this year and bought herself the Nintendo DSi and she has really enjoyed it...she kept her Leapster for about 4 years..that thing was awesome!!!
I just thought about a website that I think you should like at if you have younger kids...of course I think they are great for anyone...the dolls are called Blabla. Are any of you familiar with them? I got them at a specialty store when we were at my moms a few years back...have not seen them ANYWHERE and when we were in Colorado this summer, they had them in Vale..of all places!! I just ordered one for my bf's baby girls 1st bday. We have Etcetera, Zook, and Lulu...I got my friend the Leelee doll. These are hand made and have the cutest personality!! They are a little pricey, but for a special gift I highly recommend them...

I will be thinking seriously of Christmas after we return from Disney on September 8th. I usually start about then and get something each pay until Christmas and try my hardest to to use my credit card if possible. I don't go all out at Christmas.

This year will be pretty slim and I have already told the kids that since we are going to Disney. This trip is most likely the one and only one ever.

DS will be 14 and he is so hard to buy for. Too old for toys and if you ask him, he had no clue what he wants. How do you buy for someone who can't tell you what he wants. The only thing he does want, I can't buy for him, and that would be his first gf!! LOL :lmao: He already has an ipod, he and his brother share a ps3, they have a wii at their dad's and he has a nintendo ds, although it doesn't work great. I wasn't planning on spending that much $ if I were to replace it, although I will see.

DD will be the only one left who believes in Santa. As much as I don't want that to end, I will be somewhat glad to not have to try and pretend anymore. They will still get a gift from Santa but I will have more choices, like say a gift card for older DS.

I never know what to buy my partner. She changes her mind so she keeps me on my toes. :confused3

Merry Christmas!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter