The 100% Original POFQ FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love your trip report and pictures of the frog.

To all the posters that are afraid of frogs, my sister in law in CT has them all the time in the swimming pool and sometimes will sit on her shoulder. I love frogs so it doesnt bother me, but her SIL wont go over to the pool anymore because she is so afraid of them. She is from Morocco so I thought maybe it was her culture, but I never realized there are so many people afraid of them.

POFQ seems to be our favorite moderate.
From another web-site, some room complaints from this year, 2008.

"...the beds are uncomfortable.....Shower/tub had small amount of mold in the caulk. The floor in the bathroom had dust/dirt in the corner for our entire stay........The FQ was run down and definitely showing its age...."

Last rehab I think was in 2005. Rooms only 5 years old. Do guests beat the heck out of the WDW resort rooms ?

Please tell me POFQ rooms are in good condition and clean.

I can bring our own Lysol and wipes to clean corners and such.

Pooh2001,
Don't worry about the cleanliness of your room. We just came back, we were there Sept.12-21st. Our room was spotless and remained well cleaned the entire stay. We had a towel animal waiting for us in the room our first day, none after that,but that was fine...we feel lucky to have gotten one. The grandkids animals were arranged differently each day, however. We got almost all of our requests. We got ground floor and connecting and adjoining rooms, just got a different building than requested...but it was a BETTER location that requested. All the CM's were kind and friendly, especially an older woman named Ethel at the food court each morning. She was amazingly kind to the children in our party.
We only had 2 problems, one of which was addressed. The first was that our fridge was warm...not even remotely cool after 4 hours. We called about the problem and a maintenance man was at our door in less that 10 minutes.:) He checked it, fiddled a little and then told us not to expect it to be cold like a refrigerator...that it really was a COOLER. :confused3 Yeah ok...that's why all literature and promotions for moderate resorts say REFRIGERATORS. I argued that point...but he insisted it was a COOLER ...to which I replied " Well cooler or fridge, its not COOL or COLD! He said to give it more time. We did, and we also left the wood cabinet that it is housed in ajar. That helped. It never got what I would call COLD...but we lived with it. Glad I didn't have milk to store.
The other issue was trying to get a bus to MK between 3:30 and 4:15. Two days in a row it was a 40 minute wait...while we watched bus after bus for Epcot or AK go by. It was frustrating, especially the second day..cause we were thinking the previous day was not the norm. First time we ever had that kind of wait. In spite of those 2 minor probs, we LOVE :lovestruc POFQ :lovestruc and booked the bounceback for next fall, just DH and I.

Hey Traci. Another victim of the TCD collapse I assume? How awful for you, but at least you've managed to get a plan in place now, even if it's not what you originally wanted. It must be awful for the families who've scraped every last penny together for a holiday of a lifetime for their kids and who were due to travel in the next few days - and they now have to break the news to their hyper-excited children that they won't be going to see Mickey after all. It must be heartbreaking, I just can't imagine how I'd tell my 8 year old DD if it happened to us.

As far as your question on POFQ goes though, I'm sure you'll have a great time there. The resort is lovely, fairly compact for a Disney property, and is situated on the same river as OKW so you still get the boats to DTD/etc. If you want any more background info, give my website at www.portorleans.org a try.

Andre

Hi Traci,
We were booked with TCD too! It went belly up 3 days before our trip, we had booked to fly from Glasgow, staying at POFQ with free dining.
Luckily we managed to rebook with Virgin, flying from Gatwick though end of October. As we no longer qualified for free dining we went with staying at POP again.

Our kids took it fairly well actually - I think we were more upset! There was a few tears from them, but when DH said I was at the Travel Agents trying to get another holiday, they were reassured! At least we were lucky enough to be in a position that we could rebook! :worship:

Yesterday though I threw caution to the wind and upgraded to POFQ again!
I just couldn't stop thinking about it, it wasn't too much more, and we thought, with prices for Florida holidays going up the way they are, we might not be able to afford it again (we are hoping to go back to WDW 2010). Am really pleased we decided to upgrade - POFQ looks lovely, and nice as POP is, it would be nice to try a moderate, especially one that seems a bit more intimate.

BTW, have you heard anything back from ATOL yet? We haven't got a confirmation letter from them, but when I phoned on Friday they said to give it another week! :headache: We sent the paperwork off the same day TCD collapsed!

Di x

Hi Traci,
We were booked with TCD too! It went belly up 3 days before our trip, we had booked to fly from Glasgow, staying at POFQ with free dining.
Luckily we managed to rebook with Virgin, flying from Gatwick though end of October. As we no longer qualified for free dining we went with staying at POP again.

Our kids took it fairly well actually - I think we were more upset! There was a few tears from them, but when DH said I was at the Travel Agents trying to get another holiday, they were reassured! At least we were lucky enough to be in a position that we could rebook! :worship:

Yesterday though I threw caution to the wind and upgraded to POFQ again!
I just couldn't stop thinking about it, it wasn't too much more, and we thought, with prices for Florida holidays going up the way they are, we might not be able to afford it again (we are hoping to go back to WDW 2010). Am really pleased we decided to upgrade - POFQ looks lovely, and nice as POP is, it would be nice to try a moderate, especially one that seems a bit more intimate.

BTW, have you heard anything back from ATOL yet? We haven't got a confirmation letter from them, but when I phoned on Friday they said to give it another week! :headache: We sent the paperwork off the same day TCD collapsed!

Di x

Hi Di,
Oh how awful to have found out 3 days before the holiday and to lose the free dining too :scared1: I just don't know how I would have coped with that, I was upset enough and I had only just booked for next year.

I thought POFQ looked much more intimate too, which is why when I went to re-book I chose this resort. I could have got OKW (which is what we had originally booked) for not much more, but for some reason, POFQ looked so much nicer, I hope this is the case when we get there.
Still haven't heard anything about getting my money back, I know they must be busy with all the people who were let down by TCD, but its been 3 weeks already, I thought I might have heard something by now. I still haven't received my booking paperwork from Disney yet either for the new holiday,, is everyone on a go slow lately :confused3

Its true what you said about Florida prices going up, I got my holiday for next year for £3700, but checked it out again a few days later and it had gone up by £300. Checked it out 2 weeks later and it had gone up by £800:scared1: :scared1: :scared1:
I'm so glad that I re-booked the same day that I heard about TCD!

Hope you have a great time, please post and let us know how POFQ was when you get back :hug:

Do all of the rooms at POFQ have refrigerators?

Or do you have to request one before you arrive?

Also, is there any recommendations for something special I could ask for to make this a special trip for my spouse? Anything that anyone has received at POFQ that was special, and what did you ask for? Maybe a picture of a favorite character or something like that delivered to the room?

I called the front desk today to ask but when she found out we weren't checking in today she transferred me to the reservations group so fast I couldn't say anything. :eek:

:welcome: :disrocks:

A refrigerator is as standard in the room as carpeting and a TV. No request is necessary.

I have never heard Bob play at POR but if you are staying at POFQ give Elliot Dyson a try. He plays in the ScatCat Lounge which is in the lobby of the POFQ. He plays Wednesdays through Saturdays from 9:00 to midnight and is really great.

This coming November we are going to try to get to see both Elliot and Bob.

Linda

Does Elliot Dyson play jazz? If so, is the ScatCat 'kid' friendly like the River Roost? The reason I ask, my 14 year old son is an avid jazz musician & I know he would seriously love hearing some jazz on our trip.

I'm a HUGE Bob Jackson fan - I wouldn't miss his show! You'll love his show - I've sent so many friends to see him & they've all enjoyed him.

Can you tell me if they 'pipe-in' music along the walkways & public areas at POFQ? And if so, is it jazz?

I asked this on another POFQ thread, but haven't received any replies.

Thanks!

Does Elliot Dyson play jazz? If so, is the ScatCat 'kid' friendly like the River Roost? The reason I ask, my 14 year old son is an avid jazz musician & I know he would seriously love hearing some jazz on our trip.

I'm a HUGE Bob Jackson fan - I wouldn't miss his show! You'll love his show - I've sent so many friends to see him & they've all enjoyed him.

Can you tell me if they 'pipe-in' music along the walkways & public areas at POFQ? And if so, is it jazz?

I asked this on another POFQ thread, but haven't received any replies.

Thanks!

If it is like it was when we were there 18 months ago I would have no problem taking a child or a teenager to the Scat Cat lounge. There was a bar but it was not in the same little vicinity of the lounge. It seemed as though it was an area to itself. I saw several families with kids at tables enjoying the music. I will be honest, I have no idea if the music was jazz. It was wonderful and "jazzy" to me but I can't tell you if it was really jazz. I have no doubt that your son will appreciate the quality of the musician, he was wonderful.

There was music piped to the walkways. I loved the music when I was walking to the food court for coffee in the mornings. The sidewalks were still damp from cleaning, The plantings seemed to carry some heavenly smell, the fountain quietly bubbling and soft music in the air.

Gosh I can't wait until I go back!

If it is like it was when we were there 18 months ago I would have no problem taking a child or a teenager to the Scat Cat lounge. There was a bar but it was not in the same little vicinity of the lounge. It seemed as though it was an area to itself. I saw several families with kids at tables enjoying the music. I will be honest, I have no idea if the music was jazz. It was wonderful and "jazzy" to me but I can't tell you if it was really jazz. I have no doubt that your son will appreciate the quality of the musician, he was wonderful.

There was music piped to the walkways. I loved the music when I was walking to the food court for coffee in the mornings. The sidewalks were still damp from cleaning, The plantings seemed to carry some heavenly smell, the fountain quietly bubbling and soft music in the air.

Nan, you have such a way with words. I am SO FREAKIN EXCITED!!!!!!!

Nan, you have such a way with words. I am SO FREAKIN EXCITED!!!!!!!

Kat- this is the closest I will get to NoLa for a long time so I am excited too. There are benefits to being an early riser and the morning ambiance of this resort is one them :thumbsup2

Thank you so much for the input! You certainly make it sound lovely. I'm so torn, I don't know what to do! The room decor looks a bit warmer/cozier to me than POR, but I'm only going by photos. But I seriously love those mansions! I'll make up my mind eventually, LOL. Thanks again!

Jessica, I have not been to POR so I have no way to compare. I can say that some say the pool is geared for younger kids so you may want to consider that. POR also has a TS restaurant onsite, it that important to you? POFQ is small and compact, for me this was the kicker. I stayed at CBR and had a preferred room so we were close to Old Port Royal but it still seemed very large to me after staying at POFQ.

I won't be much help to you since I loved both. It is such a short walk from one to the other that you really can't go wrong with whichever resort you choose. :goodvibes POR has the beautiful landscaping, the boat/bike rentals, and the quiet pools. POFQ is so small and cozy with such a nice relaxing theme. The rooms at POFQ are so sunny looking and cheerful, and the theming and colors in the AB section at POR are so warm and welcoming.

I would say go with your gut, and you will still get to experiance the best that both have to offer. :)

OMG Nancy, you've almost got me in tears! Your description is SO accurate my heart literally is aching to go back...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter