Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker discussion thread (*** now contains spoilers ***)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rumor mill is full of stuff about Hayden making a return, and Anakin is the still the "one that will bring balance" to the Force. I think it's far fetched, but with JJ you never know.
If they bring Anakin back, can they please do it without Hayden?

I will try to go in and just enjoy the film for what it is vs complain about what it isn't - just hope that is relatively easy for me to do :D

This is a good attitude. So many people complain just because it wasn't what they would do. I mean, I've thought about how I would continue the Star Wars saga in my head since I was a little kid. None of that has ended up on screen, but that doesn't mean I automatically dislike it. I always say to judge something for what it is, not what it isn't. That doesn't mean you have to like everything of course, just that you should have a better reason than it wasn't exactly what I always thought it should be.

I am glad a lot of you want to give Ep IX a chance (can you tell I'm a Prequels guy, always using the Episode number?). I do think that once the trilogy is done, it will stand up better, even if the middle is a little rough.

That's the thing. When it comes down to it, it's a movie.
Did I find it fun, or was I bored?
I'm sure I'll enjoy it. I enjoyed all the movies, all of them. I have to deal with details at work, I'm not going to add that kind of stress for something that is an amusement.

That's the thing. When it comes down to it, it's a movie.
Did I find it fun, or was I bored?
I'm sure I'll enjoy it. I enjoyed all the movies, all of them. I have to deal with details at work, I'm not going to add that kind of stress for something that is an amusement.

Agreed, chomping at the bit for opener.

agreed - the projection made for a cool moment but ESPECIALLY after Carried passed away they should have not had Luke die but saved that

Yea that was the clearest signal ever to keep one OG around IMO. Easiest edit ever presented.

There's lots of things I'd like to have seen in TLJ. I'm kind of glad he didn't personally show up and start kicking ****. That would have been too placating to the fan boys for me.

While I agree, he kinda did that with the projection trick. So in that case leave it, just don't kill him after.

If he did show up in person, he would need to die IMO, outrage yes-but far less IMO.

But if he showed up just too late and Leia had been killed while the others escaped, then he could live.

Building for a reason to watch 9 just never materialized that I can see. I honestly can't think of one thing I'm curious to find out, other than can they make a good story with whats left.

The end of 7 had me very curious about finally finding Luke, and what he was going to do.

So IMO 9 is now a stand alone movie that needs to build from the start. So I'm just having faith that can be accomplished.

This is a good attitude. So many people complain just because it wasn't what they would do. I mean, I've thought about how I would continue the Star Wars saga in my head since I was a little kid. None of that has ended up on screen, but that doesn't mean I automatically dislike it. I always say to judge something for what it is, not what it isn't. That doesn't mean you have to like everything of course, just that you should have a better reason than it wasn't exactly what I always thought it should be.

I am glad a lot of you want to give Ep IX a chance (can you tell I'm a Prequels guy, always using the Episode number?). I do think that once the trilogy is done, it will stand up better, even if the middle is a little rough.

I see this argument about hating something because it isn't what you wanted quite often. I guess some do feel that way. Personally, I feel like there are a million ways to make a good movie and a million ways to make a bad movie (and all the gray in-between). For me, Rian Johnson took one of those bad paths.

The whole movie wasn't bad. It had some neat moments for sure, but there were too many things that didn't make sense in context of the previous movies and in context of the very path it laid out for itself.

I hope IX is good. Heck, I hope it's the best one of them all, but I still don't see how it can make up for a lot of the things in VIII.

definitely a big issue for Disney with these films is no matter what they did a portion of the fan based would be upset and think they are idiots for not creating the specific movie they wanted made

And if JJ can pull it off with Ep IX to at least make the vast majority of people happy (no way to make 100% since some people will be made just for the sake of being mad) then serious props to him - not an easy task

I will try to go in and just enjoy the film for what it is vs complain about what it isn't - just hope that is relatively easy for me to do :D

Every movie ever made has people that think it's trash. That's just the nature of opinions. Compare the Star Wars movies. Some people don't like Episode IV, or V, or maybe VI. Plenty complained about aspects or whole parts of the prequels. Episode VII was pretty well-liked, but it had plenty of detractors and even some that called it the start of Disney "ruining Star Wars."

After all that though, none of them caused as many dislikes as VIII. If Abrams makes episode IX a good movie on its own, he will have succeeded. I don't really expect him to be able to repair VIII for those that didn't like it.

I see this argument about hating something because it isn't what you wanted quite often. I guess some do feel that way. Personally, I feel like there are a million ways to make a good movie and a million ways to make a bad movie (and all the gray in-between). For me, Rian Johnson took one of those bad paths.

The whole movie wasn't bad. It had some neat moments for sure, but there were too many things that didn't make sense in context of the previous movies and in context of the very path it laid out for itself.

I hope IX is good. Heck, I hope it's the best one of them all, but I still don't see how it can make up for a lot of the things in VIII.

Oh yeah. It's just that movies and such that often get a lot of hate is because of that phenomenon of not meeting very rigid expectations, especially in the genre of stuff nerds like. ;) We can be a very rigid sort, and believe me, I do suffer from that sometimes too. We kinda went through this with the prequels too - with people just mad something didn't match the EU or parroting the talking points from Internet reviews. Everyone can have a valid opinion, positive or negative, as long as it is their own opinion and has actual reasoning.

better yet... at the end, you see a grandfather reading a story to his grandkids... none of Star Wars happened, it was all just a story :P

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Artoo and Threepio are the two characters that have been in every numbered Episode, and I've heard/read a lot of people who consider the films to be histories as-told-by Artoo and Threepio after the fact. Hence "a long time ago."

Then there's also the angle in Lucas's original Star Wars script that it was from "the first saga" of the "Journal of the Whills," a history of the galaxy.

Considering how they're pitching IX as the end to the "Skywalker saga" and teasing a potential end for Threepio a la L3, I wouldn't be surprised if the ending has a time jump and some kind of nod to all of this. You might not be far off!

I’m not so sure Disney will give that much to Feige. They certainly don’t want Marvel to start to decline. His focus should remain there. I know we have gone back and forth on the creative vision of Star Wars since disney bought it but I am one who is a fan of the new stuff. I’m completely fine with where things are.

You are by far not alone with being happy with the new stuff, either. People going on about "righting the ship" is kind of hilarious to me.

I guess I'm in the camp of somehow Luke is not "dead". IF the Sith can master that, so can the Jedi.

We get some foreshadowing early in the movie with the early Force Bond scene when Kylo says to Rey, "You're not doing this, the effort would kill you".

Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Artoo and Threepio are the two characters that have been in every numbered Episode, and I've heard/read a lot of people who consider the films to be histories as-told-by Artoo and Threepio after the fact. Hence "a long time ago."

Then there's also the angle in Lucas's original Star Wars script that it was from "the first saga" of the "Journal of the Whills," a history of the galaxy.

Considering how they're pitching IX as the end to the "Skywalker saga" and teasing a potential end for Threepio a la L3, I wouldn't be surprised if the ending has a time jump and some kind of nod to all of this. You might not be far off!

last seen is the camern pulling back out of a padded room in an Insane Asylum and we can see George Lucas in a straight jacket yelling "Their not stories!!! It's true ... all of it!!!!"

hi all - not to rain on any discussion or anyone's opinions but I have been in threads before where the political/SJW nature of the Disney produced Star Wars films gets discussed and it just never goes anywhere good and the threads tend to get shut down - ideally we can avoid that here .... and, anyway, the odds of anyone changing their opinion of Rey, etc. are likely worse than 3,720 to 1

If we could try to keep discussion more specific to the Rise of Skywalker - what we think about the trailers, what we think will happen, etc. that would be great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter