Spring/Spring Advantage 2011 :)

hello everyone!

i was accepted for my 3rd CP a few days ago. :cool1: i also applied for a few professional internships, so i'm waiting to hear back from those as well. if i don't get any PIs, i will be doing attractions from 1/26-6/3. i'm kind of excited to be going back to the CP, but i'm really crossing my fingers for the PIs!

if you have any questions about the CP, just ask because i've already done 2 and i probably had the same question at some point!

i'm sending lots of pixie dust to everyone that is still waiting to hear back!:wizard:

Just accepted today for the Spring 2011 CP for Merchandise! Hurrah! :woohoo: My arrival date is January 17th. Can't wait!!!

Did my interview and got a letter about a week after saying I was "pending" - I'm waiting on getting my Restricted Rehire Status lifted since I left my last program about 2 weeks early. Just an update as to where I am! Is anyone else trying to lift a Restricted or No Rehire Status as well?

No restricted rehire here... first time applicant on the "pending" list.

I LOVE your face paint.

I got accepted to Custodial today and I'm very excited! I've heard I'll be working mostly independently, which is great because I work best without managers breathing down my neck. :woohoo:

That is SO awesome. It will be a ton of fun. If you had done Fall and MK, you could have gotten the face paint too! ;)

But yeah, definitely doesn't mean the managers aren't breathing down your neck! It's almost more nerve-racking, because the managers walk around all the time. You never know when they'll be watching you, so you really have to make sure you're constantly guest-interacting. That's what they care about more than the cleanliness of the park itself. You can get away with having a full trash can or some crap on the ground if you are engrossed in a conversation with a guest. haha. As long as you're exemplifying the Basics, you'll never get in trouble. And smile... all the time. Or you might get yelled at.

It's almost more nerve-racking, because the managers walk around all the time. You never know when they'll be watching you, so you really have to make sure you're constantly guest-interacting. That's what they care about more than the cleanliness of the park itself. You can get away with having a full trash can or some crap on the ground if you are engrossed in a conversation with a guest. haha. As long as you're exemplifying the Basics, you'll never get in trouble. And smile... all the time. Or you might get yelled at.

I just accepted my Custodial role!...any more advice for it? Oh, and are we supposed to just strike up a conversation with a guest randomly or what? Anything you say will help me!

has anyone gotten their folder yet? I still haven't gotten mine.. I got the acceptance email last tuesday.. (the 7th).

I just accepted my Custodial role!...any more advice for it? Oh, and are we supposed to just strike up a conversation with a guest randomly or what? Anything you say will help me!

Exciting! Definitely yes, strike up conversations randomly with guests ALL the time. Say hi to everyone you pass and smile huge. If you see a guest with a map out looking confused, ask if they need help finding anything. Just that kind of thing. You have to be really aware of everything going on around you and be able to multitask pretty well... You have to walk with your pan and broom at all times and sweep whatever mess there might be ((beware of popcorn carts...)) and do trash runs.

You stay in a "zone" in your area of whatever park or place you work at for about 2 hours usually. If it gets to be 2.5-3 hours without a break, you can radio a manager and they'll fix it. So I usually would do a trash run or check them as soon as I got there, then at about an hour and a half in, do a trash run. Because if the person gets the zone after you and the trash is too full, they will call and make you come back and do it instead of having a break. You get 15 minute breaks and then a lunch break if you work more than... maybe 6 I think it was... hours. So yeah, you're only responsible for a small area whenever you're working, so if you make a few rounds of sweeping up and your trash is good, which is usually pretty easy and quick, the rest of the time definitely just be interacting with guests.

The best thing about Custodial is the freedom you have, though. You are never just standing in one spot. And you're able to stand around and watch every parade and fireworks display. This can be VERY beneficial if you're at MK like I was. haha. You can also take time and go dance at MISICI.

Anyways, that's a LOT of info. I love talking about it, though and encouraging other people to try Custodial, because it is so much more fun than anyone thinks. And general consensus is that it's the best CP role to get. I also met my boyfriend down there in Custodial! haha.

What are the "Basics?" Or is that something I have to wait until orientation for?

hahahahaha Just waittttttttt. You will hear that term repeated over and over and over and over and over and over. It's Disney's standards for providing exceptional guest service, essentially. But there's 4 specific things they always want you to do. And trust me, you will memorize them within a week, you'll hear it so much. ESPECIALLY doing Custodial. But I'll let you hear them for yourself at Traditions. :)

You make it sound like so much fun! Most people have been like, "Aw, it's not so bad," but I get the feeling you really loved it. Thanks for the glowing review. :flower3:

I really can't wait!

I've seen other people mention a "thank you e-mail" so I thought I'd ask: It's been almost a week since my phone interview, and I haven't gotten one yet. Should this be cause for concern?

I think mine took a week or so. I don't know if everyone gets one, but I don't think that it means anything.

I've seen other people mention a "thank you e-mail" so I thought I'd ask: It's been almost a week since my phone interview, and I haven't gotten one yet. Should this be cause for concern?

We don't know if it's a glitch on their part or email filters, but some other people haven't gotten a thank you email either. I wouldn't worry about it.

Hey guys. So, I interviewed about a week and a half ago and yesterday morning received a congratulatory email saying I was accepted into the program (yay!). Normally, I would be super pumped about this and ready to accept immediately, however the position I was offered was as a lifeguard. Backtracking a little bit, I didn't initially select lifeguard as one of my roles, but my interviewer asked if I would do it since I'm experienced and have been a lifeguard for the past 5 years. So of course, not wanting to seem disagreeable or anything I said sure.

It just kinda stinks because I've been really wanting to do this program for so long but there are so many negative things going against it for me at this point in time. First of all, if I've lifeguarded for so long; it wouldn't make sense to leave college for a semester to go do a job I've been doing for years instead of trying something new (also, lifeguarding isn't really applicable to my future career). Second, if I miss a semester at school there's a chance I'd have to stay an extra semester. Also, I signed a lease for my house- I'd have to find a subletter for a semester and I'd have less than 2 weeks to do it in since the decision needs to be made fairly quickly.

Also, my parents are really not behind it and a lot of my friends aren't either. I think that's the worst part. I've been so excited during this whole process and pumped for the opportunity to try this program, but no one is supporting me. They all think it's a waste of time. My parents didn't even say congratulations when I told them I got in, they were just like "oh". First thing out of my best friend's mouth was that I shouldn't do it.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just really confused right now about what I want and feeling kind of hurt. So what do you guys think?

You have to decide what is best for you. I waited until after I graduated to do the DLR program (Spring 2010), and then jumped directly into law school right after my program ended. If you can spare that time after graduation, it makes it much easier schoolwise.

The program is more than just about what role you have. There's so many activities that go on, like movie and ice skating nights, special backstage tours, etc, that really add to the experience. If you know you wouldn't be happy doing lifeguarding, then perhaps you should wait and try again later for a different role, when you can get your housing dealt with as well. You won't get a mark against you if you decline, they understand that things come up.

You do have to think about your future career, but also about what Disney means to you personally, and on your resume. About 25% of why I got into law school was because of having Disney on my resume. If you've always wanted to work there, and might never have the chance again, forget what family and friends say and go for it. Talk to your parents and let them know why this is something you really want to do. If you're mature about it, and show them that this could really benefit you in the future, they might warm up to it. (It may be that they think you're going to totally blow off school just to play at Disney). Ask them why they don't support you. As for your friends, if they don't support you, they aren't really friends then. Perhaps they don't want you to leave them and never come back.

Hope this helps!

I have another question! I seem to keep popping back here for questions.

Be realistic with me. Do people who get letters notifying them that the decision is "pending" for them to be accepted into the CP get accepted into the CP? How likely is it?

Do people who get letters notifying them that the decision is "pending" for them to be accepted into the CP get accepted into the CP? How likely is it?

Yes they do.

Will everyone who is pended get in? No. Will some, yes. It all depends on why they were pended.

Someone who has to do a background check and it comes back with something that they do not feel would be acceptable to work with Guests, they won't get in. Someone whose background check shows that they did something stupid like get arrested for public intoxication at a football game might.

Someone who was terminated with a "no" or "restricted" rehire status for insubordination or fighting with a Guest probably doesn't stand as good of a chance of returning as someone who got really sick and had to leave early.

Some people are pending just as a "wait list" and will get in depending on what spots they need to fill.

People who were pended did well enough to not be immediately declined.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter