Some in Congress want to reverse CDC sail order.

While it's true that cruises remain a high-risk proposition, a blanket ban isn't the way to go. The industry has to have a path forward. Make testing more robust, put more onboard checks in place, mandate masks, etc - but give the industry an opportunity to prove it can operate safely. Baby steps are OK. Trial runs are logical. Short itineraries work. A blanket ban - not so much.

That SeaDream ship didn't follow a number of protocols that CDC's new guidelines would have required. It's a bit like seeing a car crash in Barbados, and writing a letter to change the driving rules in the US.

The flu never went away, norovirus never went away, and coronavirus will never go away. The cruise lines will need to adapt and it appears that they have been working on it for several months now.
Generally the flu isn't deadly (yes it does kill some), same with norovirus. COVID kills. At best, COVID can have long term effects, unlike the flu or noro.

here’s a quick look at the number of cases and deaths for the last two flu seasons (again, not final) and COVID-19 to date (US):

2017-2018 Flu2018-2019 FluCOVID-19
Cases45 million35 million5 million
Deaths61,00034,157180,000+
https://www.goodrx.com/blog/flu-vs-coronavirus-mortality-and-death-rates-by-year/
and...

COVID-19: There have been approximately 1,295,403 deaths reported worldwide. In the U.S, 242,436 people have died of COVID-19 between January 2020 and November 13, 2020.*

Flu: The World Health Organization estimates that 290,000 to 650,000 people die of flu-related causes every year worldwide.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/hea...ronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu

Not sure as cases are soaring that diverting resources........and vaccines when and if they become available.......to satisfy someone's vacation desires......is a smart path forward.

I don't understand this sentiment. We know vaccines will be rolled out to the vulnerable and health care workers first. Beyond that, why would the reason for someone getting vaccinated matter? It puts more vaccinated people into the population, which is a great thing. If the polls are right, there may many people who will need motivation to get the vaccine anyway. If a vacation is what it takes, then I don't see the problem. If you are implying that doctors will withhold vaccines from vulnerable or healthcare workers so another patient can take a cruise, I don't see that happening. Doctors seem to be good about following guidelines on who gets this stuff.

I don't understand this sentiment. We know vaccines will be rolled out to the vulnerable and health care workers first. Beyond that, why would the reason for someone getting vaccinated matter? It puts more vaccinated people into the population, which is a great thing. If the polls are right, there may many people who will need motivation to get the vaccine anyway. If a vacation is what it takes, then I don't see the problem. If you are implying that doctors will withhold vaccines from vulnerable or healthcare workers so another patient can take a cruise, I don't see that happening. Doctors seem to be good about following guidelines on who gets this stuff.
No sentiment to it, Just being realistic. My DIL works at a University Hospital that will be a storage/distribution facility for vaccines when they come out. If everything remains on the fast track, they project they will have transportation and storage systems in place (to keep the vaccine at the required -94 degrees F) to START vaccinating health care workers in the third quarter of 2021. Then at risk patients, then others. The issue isn't deciding who gets the vaccine, but having the vaccine approved, manufactured, transported and distributed. One hiccup in that process, it's delayed.

https://time.com/5911543/pfizer-vaccine-cold-storage/

Seems like a knee jerk reaction considering some of the other cruise lines that have resumed without incident. Granted they didn't go to Barbados...
Which cruise lines? None of the majors that I am aware of. Most have canceled all cruises into 2021. Some tiny ships with less than 120 passengers and crew have sailed and it has not gone well.

And all four have had covid-19 outbreaks. Too soon clearly.
MSC hasn't had any outbreak. Costa had one on a ship chartered to a French group - 8 guests out of thousands - and it was well contained with the protocols in place. AIDA had one earlier in the summer before the new protocols came in. Nothing since. TUI had a case of false positives in September, no actual infections.

And they have been operating their ships since August/September.

Considering the amount of virus raging on in Europe right now, it's astonishing to see just how little of it has made its way to the ships.

Not sure as cases are soaring that diverting resources........and vaccines when and if they become available.......to satisfy someone's vacation desires......is a smart path forward.
It's not just someone's vacation desire. It's the airline and airport employees that get you there. It's the hotel employees where you'll stay before your cruise. It's the restaurants that depend on vacation travelers. The rental car people and mechanics. Finally it's the DCL crew that have families to support many who come from 3rd world economies and depend on US tourist dollars. People are running or have run out of cash! I agree with previous poster who said this was a knee jerk reaction to one small cruise line's issues.

MSC hasn't had any outbreak. Costa had one on a ship chartered to a French group - 8 guests out of thousands - and it was well contained with the protocols in place. AIDA had one earlier in the summer before the new protocols came in. Nothing since. TUI had a case of false positives in September, no actual infections.

And they have been operating their ships since August/September.

Considering the amount of virus raging on in Europe right now, it's astonishing to see just how little of it has made its way to the ships.
MSC has. https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2020/...firmed-case-of-covid-19-on-the-msc-grandiosa/

It's not just someone's vacation desire. It's the airline and airport employees that get you there. It's the hotel employees where you'll stay before your cruise. It's the restaurants that depend on vacation travelers. The rental car people and mechanics. Finally it's the DCL crew that have families to support many who come from 3rd world economies and depend on US tourist dollars. People are running or have run out of cash! I agree with previous poster who said this was a knee jerk reaction to one small cruise line's issues.
I agree that we should have taken strong actions MONTHS ago to save lives and incomes. But I'm not sure how many cruise ship workers at this point want or will be allowed by their home nations to return to work. I'm sorry , how on earth can anything be knee jerk with 180,000 new cases in the U.S. in the last 24 hours? ICUs are at capacity with covid-19 patients in many parts of the U.S.

No sentiment to it, Just being realistic. My DIL works at a University Hospital that will be a storage/distribution facility for vaccines when they come out. If everything remains on the fast track, they project they will have transportation and storage systems in place (to keep the vaccine at the required -94 degrees F) to START vaccinating health care workers in the third quarter of 2021. Then at risk patients, then others. The issue isn't deciding who gets the vaccine, but having the vaccine approved, manufactured, transported and distributed. One hiccup in that process, it's delayed.

https://time.com/5911543/pfizer-vaccine-cold-storage/

Did you say Q3 of 2021?
Fauci said the vaccine could roll out in January, possibly even Dec/2020
If its Q3 of 2021, you can kiss all DCL cruises goodbye for 2021. And pretty much life, as well.

Did you say Q3 of 2021?
Fauci said the vaccine could roll out in January, possibly even Dec/2020
If its Q3 of 2021, you can kiss all DCL cruises goodbye for 2021. And pretty much life, as well.
Yes. third quarter of 2021 for all healthcare workers to be vaccinated. And yes, that is if Fauci's best case statement of the vaccine beginning to be available in December of January. It is going to take months to manufacture, transport all those vaccines and vaccinate people. Other industries have survived major setbacks and YEARS of losing money. Look at Ford, Chrysler and General Motors.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter