• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

So what brands, products, or items do you buy regardless of cost?

Hebrew National hot dogs
Scott Extra Soft
Pop Tarts (specifically chocolate chip cookie dough, which has no corresponding generic)
Oreos
Almay antiperspirant - I recently developed an allergy to something in other brands)
Thomas's bagels (when I can't get to the bagel shop) and English muffins

I have a weird pen fetish, too. I like a certain type, and have been known to stock up, not to mention stalk family members who steal them...

As far as food and household items go, we mostly go with generic/store brands of things. I do like Gain laundry detergent, and DH will only eat plain, regular Cheerios. he doesn't mind generic of flavored Cheerios, but the plain ones must come from the big yellow box.

I'm picky when it comes to the pets, though. Our dog gets Purina Pro Plan food, I'm not messing with her diet. She's tiny, so it's not like she costs a fortune, even on a pricier food. For our cats, we get Purina's sensitive skin and stomach formula--we have one cat that really benefits from eating this. Of course, we actually have 4 cats, so we go through a lot of it, and it gets pricey. But, it keep that particular cat form chewing his fur and hacking all over the place, so the extra expense is worth it to me.

Nestle chocolate chips. Heinz ketchup. Aveeno skin relief body wash. I have very sensitive skin and that is one that keeps me from scratching myself silly. Miracle Whip. Crisco shortening. Hershey Chocolate syrup.

Safeguard bar soap
another Dawn fan
Clorox desinfecting wipes
Nail Polish Speed Dry or O.P.I
Colgate toothpaste (original flavor)...these are THE top 5 for me, I do my groceries at Aldi their products are the best! I used to buy top brands on condiments, cereal and snacks but that changes since all those products are bought now at Aldi's

Heinz Ketchup, Crest toothpaste, and Peter Pan peanut butter. I'm thinking about adding Cascade to my list. It's the only detergent that seems to get my dishes clean. Just wish it weren't so darn expensive.

Brawny or Bounty paper towels. I hate when my DH goes shopping & buys another brand. Also, Dove deodorant.

Cereal has to be name brand as does soda. Bread is always Pepperidge Farm honey wheat. Syrup is Aunt Jemima. Tin foil is Reynolds non-stick.

Heinz ketchup
Coca-cola
Ritz crackers
Dasani water (but I can taste a difference in water)
Campbell's soup (esp the tomato and chicken noodle)
Kraft macaroni & cheese
Adventures By Disney

Last edited:
Coach purses. I'm thinking of getting a D & B at Aulani later this month, but that would be a HUGE switch for me!!! We'll see what I decide at the time.

I have several D&B Disney purse's and I love them, and honestly I was a Coach girl for a long time but not exclusively, but I have just as many D&B now, I started with the Disney D&B now I have several (not Disney) for everyday.

Hmmmm..... not too much - but Dawn dish soap b/c it is the most efficient cleaner,thus it actually saves money b/c I only have to use a drop vs. other stuff- Cascade dishwasher pods, otherwise my dishes end up unclean,and the colored parts start fading(any other brand isn't the same)....... Bare Minerals face powder, and a Sephora eyeliner that stays on through a hurricane.... I'm also choosy about shoewear- it's usually a pricier brand if I can get it since my feet are very particular (not style,comfort) like Birkenstock,Jambu,Teva Mush. I guess I'm pickier than I thought lol.

oh...one more I forgot- Just Mayo- it's the only brand I buy b/c my stomach doesn't like soybean oil and it's delicious

Charmin Toilet Tissue
One of about 3 "free" kinds of laundry soap that don't irritate my skin
Bounty paper towels
New Balance and Brooks running shoes
We buy one kind of cat food and only one, but we have a kitty with allergies.

I'm sure there are more, but those are the ones that stick out.

Off the top of my head...

Dog's food - Purina Pro Plan
Makeup - I will ONLY do Clinique foundation, moisturizer, and eyeliner
Hair product - Garnier Fructis curl gel and gel spray

Diet Dr Pepper
our dog food/treats/greenies
makeup
and cars (very picky since we are in them a lot!)

fun thread :)

I buy generic when it's a better deal on a lot of things, because after trying them our family really can't tell or don't care about the difference. So after thinking about it I guess mine are all really cleaning type things:
Tide (with two boys and a husband that have found ways to stain just about everything and I can still get it out, I'm sticking with what work!)
Dawn
Brawny
Crest
Bath & Body Works shower gel for me
Old Spice shower gel for the guys (they all like different scents though)

Something I just though of that may be ironic- I will buy generic dryer sheets and we all switch up shampoos/conditioners.

There are probably only a few things that I truly will NOT skimp on. Someone else listed Disney vacations-lol yes me too! That's the one area of my life where I'll pay whatever, and don't skimp! I buy almost all groceries generic (a lot of aldis brands). Kitchenaid appliances are a big one for me. Id much rather spend a lot once than spend a little several times over the years. We tend to skimp a lot of the little things like toilet paper and grocery store brand food and then be more free with our money when it comes time to make a bigger purchase like a vacation or major kitchen appliance or something like that,

I'm not picky about many things but there are a few things I need specific brands. Aveeno Face lotion and cleanser , Angel Soft toilet paper , Naked by Urban Decay foundation and Nars for under my eyes.

I'm not really brand loyal on a lot of stuff but I will only buy one sunblock for my face. Its pricey but I am prone to breakouts and this sunblock works the best for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter