So Pixar fest isn’t as popular as they expected?

We are going June 20-24th. As I mentioned in the June thread, this news has me SERIOUSLY bummed out. My MIL has extreme crowd anxiety, and I warned her that Disney would be busy, but assured her I had picked dates that had the SoCal and lower tiered passes blocked. This was in January. Then they release the Pixar Pier, which happens to be the weekend we picked...I was bummed, but figured with maxpass and the blockouts, we'd be okay. It'd be busy on the weekends but the week would be fine. Then they released the "special event", and now this...

I'm feeling discouraged and trying not to be, because I'll be at Disneyland and Disneyland is magical! But I worry it will be nothing but crowd complaints and tired, grumpy kids waiting in lines that wouldn't have been as long.
Reading through some of the comments, I do feel for you all who strategically picked dates! However, my best advice would just to be super prepared when going. Utilize maxpass, rope drop, early mornings. Also, mobile ordering is now up for all guests, so that can help with food lines. Take breaks when needed if you notice people are getting tired or grumpy.

Re-posting this from the June thread...

First, I think if DLR has done things a certain way for many years and published things like AP blockout calendars 12 months in advance, it is a fair expectation that Disney will stick with that. It is reasonable to be disappointed and even discouraged when they don't. Yes, I know these are first world problems. I watched a (Disney) movie last night Queen of Katwe (really good BTW) and it softened how I feel a bit.

Nevertheless, Disney is offering a premium entertainment experience and charging a premium price for that. If they stop acting like a premium entertainment provider and change the game on you at the last minute, they should expect folks to be upset.

Do I think our trip will be ruined? Of course not. Do I feel like Disney pulled a fast one on me? Yes, I do. Will it affect my choices in the future? I think it will.

When I found out about this yesterday, I sent an email to Disney explaining how what they did was not fair. Who knows what will happen?

Everyone else - please call or email Disney if you are upset: https://disneyland.disney.go.com/help/phone/

:cool2:

So, devils advoctae here... why not wait until your trip, see how it goes, and then form an opinion? It may not have any impact on your trip or the crowd level you experience. If you have a perfectly delightful trip and enjoy everything, there is really no reason to be upset. If it is a crazy mob of people and your trip is not enjoyable, then you can take that actual experience to Disney. I feel like everyone complaining is going to go unheard because you have no idea what the impact will be, and it may be none, and they aren’t going to take them back now.

Personally, I don’t think Disney owes any explanation of blockout dates to people other than AP’s. They affect our ability to enter directly. It is a great idea to plan around AP dates but that should not be your only deciding factor and really isn’t a reliable way to predict low crowds. We get blocked out on busy days ;-) not light ones.

At the moment I feel pretty similar. I travel to a lot of places and am fortunate to be able to do lots of Disney as well. I was talking to DW last night and it might be time that we do less Disney and do other things a bit more. What they appear to be doing at WDW has me discouraged about that place too.

:wizard:
Can you elaborate on your WDW comment? I have 3 trips planned there in the next 9 months, so I’m curious if there’s something that I need to be aware of. TIA

I don’t think the blackout date changes are going to be making the crowds drastically different than they would have been. If your MIL has severe crowd anxiety, it was not the best time even before that TBH. As I mentioned, a lot of local schools aren’t even out until the 20/21 and even still people plan vacations right after school is out (and have to work) and aren’t likely going to come flocking in huge numbers.

Not to be a downer, but I think it was going to be moderately crowded already and it’s not going to change a ton because of the blockout dates.

Touring Plans is predicting 7/8 for your dates and it’s not changed since the announcement fyi

I hope you're right! We've gone in October for Halloween and it was PACKED! :eek: Way more than I expected it to be. I'd done a lot of research on June vs October and had settled on Junes for lower crowds. I'm probably being paranoid over nothing, which I certainly hope is the case.

Reading through some of the comments, I do feel for you all who strategically picked dates! However, my best advice would just to be super prepared when going. Utilize maxpass, rope drop, early mornings. Also, mobile ordering is now up for all guests, so that can help with food lines. Take breaks when needed if you notice people are getting tired or grumpy.

We definitely plan on using rope drop, maxpass, and early mornings! I told my MIL if she felt overwhelmed she was more than welcome to take the 2 year old back to the hotel for a nap. I've never been in the summer time and am stressing over a "perfect vacation", so while I'm not happy that Disney pulled a last minute change, I think it's mostly "omgoodness I'm leaving in 10 days" anxiety of my own setting in.

I hope you're right! We've gone in October for Halloween and it was PACKED! :eek: Way more than I expected it to be. I'd done a lot of research on June vs October and had settled on Junes for lower crowds. I'm probably being paranoid over nothing, which I certainly hope is the case.

We definitely plan on using rope drop, maxpass, and early mornings! I told my MIL if she felt overwhelmed she was more than welcome to take the 2 year old back to the hotel for a nap. I've never been in the summer time and am stressing over a "perfect vacation", so while I'm not happy that Disney pulled a last minute change, I think it's mostly "omgoodness I'm leaving in 10 days" anxiety of my own setting in.

June vs some parts of October, June might win. But early June, not late June when schools locally are starting to get out and schools in other states have been out since May. I would never call June a slow month, there are other months I would pick, but if those were your only two options, I would go early June next time!

If can give a bit of hope to anyone who is now worried about crowds and it ruining your trip..

Our very first DL trip was this past Christmas. December 27-29th. Every single day was at capacity with capacity closures and I still fell absolutely in love with Disneyland and had the time of my life.

You can absolutely have an amazing time when it’s packed. You just have to know what your doing and this site can help you. Don’t lose hope! Your trip will still be amazing!

If can give a bit of hope to anyone who is now worried about crowds and it ruining your trip..

Our very first DL trip was this past Christmas. December 27-29th. Every single day was at capacity with capacity closures and I still fell absolutely in love with Disneyland and had the time of my life.

You can absolutely have an amazing time when it’s packed. You just have to know what your doing and this site can help you. Don’t lose hope! Your trip will still be amazing!
This. We were there at that time, also (28th and 29th). With MP and know-how, we did every headliner (many of them twice - didn't wait longer than 20 minutes for any of them unless we didn't have anything else we particularly wanted to do), saw some shows, and had a great time. We even had time for a mid-day break.

So, devils advoctae here... why not wait until your trip, see how it goes, and then form an opinion? It may not have any impact on your trip or the crowd level you experience. If you have a perfectly delightful trip and enjoy everything, there is really no reason to be upset. If it is a crazy mob of people and your trip is not enjoyable, then you can take that actual experience to Disney. I feel like everyone complaining is going to go unheard because you have no idea what the impact will be, and it may be none, and they aren’t going to take them back now.

Personally, I don’t think Disney owes any explanation of blockout dates to people other than AP’s. They affect our ability to enter directly. It is a great idea to plan around AP dates but that should not be your only deciding factor and really isn’t a reliable way to predict low crowds. We get blocked out on busy days ;-) not light ones.
My friends and I were discussing this yesterday! When people hear that the blockout days for AP's are subject to change, they automatically assume it will mean days can be taken away. Well now it is showing that days and some perks can change to benefit the AP. So going forward, using blockout days can be helpful, but maybe shouldn't be relied on entirely. Everything is subject to change it seems like.

The reasoning for this who knows.. maybe attendance isn't high enough for Disney's liking, maybe it was for PR since next year they announced major changes to the blockout system, or maybe they just wanted to be nice lol we will never know!

I don’t know how they can foresee those dates not being very busy, or busy enough for them. When we went in December the hours were short and the place was packed. They ended up increasing the hours because of the crowds. I’m guessing they thought those dates wouldn’t be busy. So there really isn’t a way for them to know for sure how busy it will be.

My friends and I were discussing this yesterday! When people hear that the blockout days for AP's are subject to change, they automatically assume it will mean days can be taken away. Well now it is showing that days and some perks can change to benefit the AP. So going forward, using blockout days can be helpful, but maybe shouldn't be relied on entirely. Everything is subject to change it seems like.

The reasoning for this who knows.. maybe attendance isn't high enough for Disney's liking, maybe it was for PR since next year they announced major changes to the blockout system, or maybe they just wanted to be nice lol we will never know!
I habe a feeling it is about showing AP holders that they can unblock passes if crowds allow. So that people think maybe they will have a few more days in DL next summer than the current calendar shows. BUT it's still annoying. LOL

They also unblocked some days at WDW in June. I think it's all about wanting more attendance numbers right now to meet some internal goal.

I guess the biggest reason I contacted Disney now is that it is affecting me now. I feel discouraged before I have even left. That matters to me. I like looking forward to things and now some of that has been lost for this trip since they changed the rules, so to speak, at the last minute, and in a way they never have before.

I ended up contacting Disney about three things. One was the change in AP blockouts as I have already described in https://www.disboards.com/threads/n...-opening-and-ap-blockouts-june-18-30.3682212/

Second, is the reduction in park hours from all Junes I have ever looked at or visited. It does appear Disney is reducing hours on days when more blockouts occur. That is a new thing.

Third, is the last minute announcement about TSMM being down.

I already know the second two will impact our trip. The first one will also impact us, it just will be hard to say how much since we will not be able to compare to what it would have been otherwise.

Could I have waited until after? Sure, I guess.

Can you elaborate on your WDW comment? I have 3 trips planned there in the next 9 months, so I’m curious if there’s something that I need to be aware of. TIA
It appears that WDW may be using FP+ advance reservations to plan for reduced staffing at rides thus driving up ride wait times on non-busy days. Lots of folks who go every January expressed their confusion and disappointment about how long the lines were in January this year.

They also unblocked some days at WDW in June. I think it's all about wanting more attendance numbers right now to meet some internal goal.

See, and I didn’t even notice that. We are going to WDW next week. I actually paid zero attention to the AP Blockout dates when booking our trip. I glanced at Touring Plans, looked for any major things that would affect the parks or the hotel we chose (major cheer, football, dance competitions, etc) and then picked a week that worked for our schedule. We will enjoy our trip no matter how many AP’s are in the park.

On the other hand, I am also a DL AP. We will be in the parks in June but I’m not rushing over to be there on the day they unblocked my pass. I’m going when it is convenient for me, when we are celebrating something, when we have family in town that wants to go, etc.

I’m just saying you really don’t need to live or die by AP dates. They shouldn’t be a make or break of your trip by any means. It’s summer. It’s crowded. It will only bother you if you let it :-)

Very disappointed. We scheduled our trip (we live out of state) specifically around when those local cheap Annual Passes were blocked out (some of our group has Deluxe). We'll be there starting Monday. We'll see how it goes. We've been thinking about taking a break from the Parks for a few years and this may tip the scales if it is crazy busy. I guess it's still better than a day at work. Anyway, here's another out-of-town tourist who "may" be unhappy after this and figure out other places to travel. Likely not going to renew my Deluxe pass in October (but of course will try to fit in one more trip before if I can swing the travel and hotel costs).

We will not be renewing our Deluxe passes in November either. We will be checking out Knotts. I remember Knotts sometimes offer a good deal for annual passes at the end of the year (November?) Plus, we may go to Universal Studios too.

Second, is the reduction in park hours from all Junes I have ever looked at or visited. It does appear Disney is reducing hours on days when more blockouts occur. That is a new thing.

I think they have been pulling this for a while. I've been going for years and Saturdays during peak times Disneyland would open at 8 AM. After Carsland so would DCA often. Yet Saturday after Thanksgiving...9 AM opening for both parks. I've encountered this shorted hour here and there on the calendar on either end of the schedule more frequently over the last year or two compared to similar times of the year in the past.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...eyland-resort-annual-passholders-this-summer/

Disneyland is offering One day hopper ticket tickets at 40% off for annual passholders to purchase for guests. Whaaaat?? In the middle of summer?

I wonder if Disney is doing this partly because APs coming up for renewal aren't being renewed or as many as they thought would be renewed. Disney needs the $$$$ on the spreadsheet for the parks on quarterlies, it doesn't matter how they get it. Last year they added an additional month for the passes, and jacked up the cost.

See, and I didn’t even notice that. We are going to WDW next week. I actually paid zero attention to the AP Blockout dates when booking our trip. I glanced at Touring Plans, looked for any major things that would affect the parks or the hotel we chose (major cheer, football, dance competitions, etc) and then picked a week that worked for our schedule. We will enjoy our trip no matter how many AP’s are in the park.

On the other hand, I am also a DL AP. We will be in the parks in June but I’m not rushing over to be there on the day they unblocked my pass. I’m going when it is convenient for me, when we are celebrating something, when we have family in town that wants to go, etc.

I’m just saying you really don’t need to live or die by AP dates. They shouldn’t be a make or break of your trip by any means. It’s summer. It’s crowded. It will only bother you if you let it :-)
The impact of unblocked APs is vastly different at WDW compared with DLR. I personally think people are justified in being upset about the DLR change. The impact on WDW will likely be much smaller. They just don't have the number of AP holders within driving distance of the parks that DLR has.

We live in the middle of the country and have gone to WDW about as many times as DLR. I almost never check the blackout calender before a WDW trip. I always do with DLR.

I only pointed out the WDW change to confirm that it is something going on with both coasts, so likely not addressing a DL specific issue.

I think what is somewhat upsetting about this is I’ve thought of the insane crowding as an issue Disney would someday try to address. Moves like this show that Disney doesn’t see overcrowding as a problem, they see it as the goal.
Exactly that. Somebody probably wasn't on target to make their bonus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter