• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Smoking & stroller wagons banned May 1!

Interesting. I wonder how this will work upon arrival at the gates. Like a separate line.

currently with the drop off area along the main walkway and return loading on the opposite side it would be difficult to keep inbound guests and un-screened guests apart.

the only way I can imagine it to work would be to have screened guests unload at the southeast corner of the plaza (DCA side towards Harbor). then they would need a barrier all the way back to the screening area to keep it separate from guests going to the return bus loading areas.

on a side note, the Toy Story bus plaza is that long because it was built for tram use. I've never noticed more than 2 or 3 loading/unloading zones being used at one time. I've always wondered why they haven't shortened the bus plaza to open up more space in front of the screening stations.

Last edited:
What does 'Walt was a smoker' have to do with allowing smoking? He died of smoking related causes. So what would be more natural than to ban the thing that killed him? Smoking bans are to reduce exposure to second-hand smoke as well as to make an area 'not smelly'.

My dad lost 4 brothers to smoking related cancers and heart disease. Smoking was banned in our home. In fact, the 'maddest' my dad ever got at me was when he caught me smoking. And this was back in the late 60s.

These rule changes are being publicized by the media.

Northern California KTVU (SF Bay Area) covered the changes on the morning news broadcast this morning, and was a Top Story on their news app.
Apple News app is linking to a CCN article.

Is this stroller ban meant to target only wagon strollers? I have a side-by-side double jogger/stroller that measures slightly over 31" wide at its widest point (about 31.4"). Lengthwise, we are well under the threshold of 51" (we're about 45.9" long). Will we get turned away if we show up with this stroller?

Seems to me these restrictions should only be in place during peak attendance periods. Why should it matter that you're 0.4" over the limit if you're going to the park on a weekday in February?

Last edited:
Is this stroller ban meant to target only wagon strollers? I have a side-by-side double jogger/stroller that measures slightly over 31" wide at its widest point (about 31.4"). Lengthwise, we are well under the threshold of 51" (we're about 45.9" long). Will we get turned away if we show up with this stroller?
This will depend on how the size is checked. It might just be a simple rectangle painted on the ground, so being 0.4" too wide would likely pass. A metal box, similar to how airlines check carry-on bags, might stop even slightly oversize strollers.

Seems to me these restrictions should only be in place during peak attendance periods. Why should it matter that you're 0.4" over the limit if you're going to the park on a weekday in February?
I can see why you'd say/think that. But I foresee only problems with it. For example, a guest attends on a non-peak day and brings in an oversized stroller. The guest tells friends who visit over the summer only to find that they're not allowed to bring in their large stroller/wagon. They argue with security and say "But my friends were here in February and they we're allowed to bring in their wagon!"

Most likely you will be turned away.

You should have a plan for what to do with the stroller if/when you get turned away.

I am curious, what brand of stroller is this?

I was worried that my double BOB would be banned but it looks like we’re good at 30.5 inches wide.

I'm really happy about the stroller wagons and huge strollers being banned. I understand having kids...I have 3 of them myself and 2 are twins, so we had a period of 5 years where we absolutely needed a double stroller. But, double stroller and behemoth are different things. And yes, the wagon strollers technically are smaller, but I also see more people dragging their belongings in them without kids, using them to save spaces for parades or similar.

I love that they're completely banning smoking, too. My kids all have asthma and now they won't have to hold their breath as they walk on some of their favorite paths. I know a year or two ago though CMs were really struggling with people who snuck vaping stuff into the parks and would vape just about anywhere they wanted. Hopefully there isn't too much of that.

I think Disney is pretty clear with how this will be enforced, to me the "outside of security" will mean that they will likely not be allowing guest through security with cigarettes/vape pens. I don't see any other reason to make them move outside of the security bubble just to smoke if they'll just allow people through security with it.

I feel bad for smokers, BUT am soooo happy not to have to walk through the cloud of smoke anymore! *Happy dance*

I think Disney is pretty clear with how this will be enforced, to me the "outside of security" will mean that they will likely not be allowing guest through security with cigarettes/vape pens. I don't see any other reason to make them move outside of the security bubble just to smoke if they'll just allow people through security with it.

Well, even if you intend to smoke outside of security you might want to carry your stuff with you so you have it when it is time to smoke instead of returning all the way to your car or hotel room. And even if they wanted to stop people from bringing in tobacco, I don't know how they would do it. You can put cigarettes and matches in your pocket and breeze through the metal detectors, so "smuggling" in cigarettes won't be all that hard.

I was SOOOOO happy to read about both of these changes. Breathing a **FRESH** sigh of relief.
Walking through those smoking areas was disgusting. Banned to the outer regions--fine.

As for those gigantic rigs, also good. Not only wagons, but those huge strollers will be banned too.

It would be heaven if they offered option of no-stroller security check-in lines as the measuring of the strollers and the conferring of policy upon those out of compliance is really going to slow down processing at security. I read that they will offer to "check" strollers or wagons that are too large and then direct people to rent one at the parks, BUT the offloading of the babies/kids, all the gear, and bags crammed in the big strollers is going to heinous.

I am curious, what brand of stroller is this?

I was worried that my double BOB would be banned but it looks like we’re good at 30.5 inches wide.

I have a BabyTrend Expedition double stroller. The widest part of the stroller makes up only a small portion of the stroller so it will depend on how it will be measured. If they are measuring the wheel base, I'm definitely below 31". If they are looking to measure the widest part of the stroller, I am over 31". I see this stroller everywhere when I'm in Disneyland so this could affect a significant amount of families. Time will tell, I guess.

I'm curious about this stroller change. There are a lot of strollers in the park, and DL has been doing a great job managing this (like in Adventureland, for example). I've got a side by side stroller that I occasionally (but not always) take to the park. It's big. It's got a ton of room for kids and gear and drinks and everything. I cannot imagine anything bigger. I wouldn't want to take anything bigger. I thought for sure that it wouldn't be allowed under the new rules... but I'm wrong. Our stroller is officially 29.75" wide, comfortably within the 31" limit! I'm curious how many strollers will actually not be allowed by this rule change. Are there really that many that are over the 31" width?

I thought ours would be over too, it’s a baby jogger city elite double. But it’s 30”. It’s wide, yes, but soooo easy to maneuver, I can happily say I’ve never ran anyone over with it, turns on a dime. I believe anything over 30” will not fit through a standard doorway - ours just fits! So I wouldn’t think many are over 31”, that would be a huge pain to not fit through doorways...

I have a BabyTrend Expedition double stroller. The widest part of the stroller makes up only a small portion of the stroller so it will depend on how it will be measured. If they are measuring the wheel base, I'm definitely below 31". If they are looking to measure the widest part of the stroller, I am over 31". I see this stroller everywhere when I'm in Disneyland so this could affect a significant amount of families. Time will tell, I guess.
Supposedly there will be a three-sided box that you have to push the stroller into.

I would expect that they’ve picked this size to specifically include/exclude particular stroller types or brands?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter