• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. - Corey Click Here

Smoking & stroller wagons banned May 1!

I'm not a smoker, never have been, and hate the smell of cigarette smoke as most non-smokers probably do, but I find that going from one designated area in each park down to NONE (including DTD) and now expecting guests who have paid hundreds of dollars to exit the parks and walk all the way to Harbor or who knows where to smoke (then having to go through security and entrance lines AGAIN to re-enter) is really an awful change in policy. I have a hard time believing with all the space inside both parks there can't be a small section set aside (not along a walking trail that others have to walk through) for Disney guests who happen to smoke. (Also seems a little hypocritical to me as Walt himself was a heavy smoker, although I would imagine there have been plenty of things that have transpired over the years with management that he would not approve of.)

I get my quiet safe spot back over behind Grizzly River Run! I’ve had cancer and lost loved ones to cancer so once they switched that area to a smoking zones I had to give up on one of the best places to go calm down from having a panic attack from dealing w/too many crowds. I also don’t have kids, so maybe I’m a bit biased on that one too, but the strollers have gotten out of hand and really taken over the parks. These both sound like great news to my ears.

So happy it's true the smoking area in DL is going away (it eliminated an entire pathway for me) and that they are not only reducing the size of allowed strollers, but also closing the loophole that technically allowed the push wagons.

There are going to be a lot of upset people I'm sure on all of this, but with the crowds that are coming, it all really is a necessary change.

I do figure there will be an uptick in vapers sneaking several puffs throughout their day. And several people who will still show up with a push wagon even though they are specifically banned. It will be very interesting to see how enforcement goes.

It is awesome that they are moving smoking out of the entire DLR. No smoking in DtD or the esplanade is a great bonus too!

I am just curious what happens if you get caught trying to smoke or vape? You can not bring in alcohol or marijuana and they are both legal. Will you still be able to bring tobacco in the park? I am just glad all of Disneyland (minus SWGE) is now free of all three.

Well now that it says will not be allowed at all on Disney property including downtown disney, i assume they will be turned away at the bag check if they are seen.

I am so happy about this! Especially the smoking one! I hate walking the path behind Big Thunder right now and it makes my asthmatic child cough every single time.

I have to be honest that I never really noticed the stroller wagons before. Then saw it mentioned here a few weeks ago and then on our trip last week saw them everywhere! They look cool and I wish I knew about them when my kids were little :duck:- but do agree it’s gotten a little out of control with them.

My wife will be overjoyed to see the smokers go. Though, I agree with an above poster that it's funny that Walt was a chain smoker. I didn't mind it too much, though there were days it was really heavy in that area. But this will definitely may the entrance/exit areas terrible as these will be the new smoking areas. Ugh. Trapped in long lines with smoke.

As for the stroller ban, yes, get rid of the wagons. They seem to be uncontrollable and take up a lot of space in the stroller parking areas. As for the ban on the wide strollers, I'm not sure. The one we used to have was 31.5 or 32 inches wide. It drove like a dream and the kids loved it - lots of space without one having to be behind the other. I'm out of the stroller phase of parenting, but I probably would've been upset about pushing stroller that was long. They're harder to maneuver. Still, there are tandems out there that should meet the requirement. Just not the "Cadillac" strollers.

“What’s more, we will be adding security-screening tents before guests board the Toy Story parking lot shuttles to eliminate screening in the esplanade outside the theme parks at peak times.”

Well that answers one question.

https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...neyland-resort/?CMP=SOC-DPFY19Q2wo0328190008A
Interesting. I wonder how this will work upon arrival at the gates. Like a separate line.

Even though I prefer Mickey & friends, I hated boarding the tram due to it somethings being a mess to board. But at the Toy Story lot, there was a clear line to board.

My husband is a smoker and being from California, has grown accustom to the changing smoking laws. So, we saw this coming as the areas got smaller and smaller. And he actually doesn’t bother anymore.

We don’t bring coolers with ice. But they are in the water bottle. So, glad that’s ok.

I'm not a smoker, never have been, and hate the smell of cigarette smoke as most non-smokers probably do, but I find that going from one designated area in each park down to NONE (including DTD) and now expecting guests who have paid hundreds of dollars to exit the parks and walk all the way to Harbor or who knows where to smoke (then having to go through security and entrance lines AGAIN to re-enter) is really an awful change in policy. I have a hard time believing with all the space inside both parks there can't be a small section set aside (not along a walking trail that others have to walk through) for Disney guests who happen to smoke. (Also seems a little hypocritical to me as Walt himself was a heavy smoker, although I would imagine there have been plenty of things that have transpired over the years with management that he would not approve of.)
Walt was also a drinker that liked to drink with his friends and the elites in the parks. Should we open up alcohol stands throughout Disneyland (like how it is at DCA) just cuz it was one of Walt’s habits? I don’t think it is asking too much of guests to exit the park to smoke, it feels very similar to the guests that want to have a giant meal of outside food at the parks and are directed to the outside picnic area. I do worry that smokers will feel like any effort is too much and use this as an excuse to just freely smoke throughout the parks. I already see tons of parents chain-smoking “sneakily” (out in the open while walking to the next attraction as they very obviously tuck their cigarette into their cupped hand & then just hold it down at the level of their kids faces) throughout Disneyland and Disney World and suspect we will be seeing more of this sort of thing after the ban :/

I am so glad they banned those wagons. Your child doesn't need a rolling bed for goodness sake!

The smoking only bothered me on the Big Thunder trail and a few other conspicuous places. I'm not a smoker, nor do I want my children to breathe in the fumes, but it didn't bother me as much as the ginormous strollers.

Walt was also a drinker that liked to drink with his friends and the elites in the parks. Should we open up alcohol stands throughout Disneyland (like how it is at DCA) just cuz it was one of Walt’s habits? I don’t think it is asking too much of guests to exit the park to smoke, it feels very similar to the guests that want to have a giant meal of outside food at the parks and are directed to the outside picnic area. I do worry that smokers will feel like any effort is too much and use this as an excuse to just freely smoke throughout the parks. I already see tons of parents chain-smoking “sneakily” (out in the open while walking to the next attraction as they very obviously tuck their cigarette into their cupped hand & then just hold it down at the level of their kids faces) throughout Disneyland and Disney World and suspect we will be seeing more of this sort of thing after the ban :/
I’ve never seen smoking outside the designated areas. That’s horrible!

Thank god the wagons are gone. Hopefully they will go beyond the new dimensions on the strollers and make them even smaller. Make them rent the small Disney strollers or they can buy a similar small stroller. What many have now is not for transporting kids. Its more like their obnoxious storage shed on wheels.

I'm curious about this stroller change. There are a lot of strollers in the park, and DL has been doing a great job managing this (like in Adventureland, for example). I've got a side by side stroller that I occasionally (but not always) take to the park. It's big. It's got a ton of room for kids and gear and drinks and everything. I cannot imagine anything bigger. I wouldn't want to take anything bigger. I thought for sure that it wouldn't be allowed under the new rules... but I'm wrong. Our stroller is officially 29.75" wide, comfortably within the 31" limit! I'm curious how many strollers will actually not be allowed by this rule change. Are there really that many that are over the 31" width?

I have. A number of times. I've also seen them be "reminded" by security that smoking wasn't allowed in that part of the park.

I once saw someone smoking in the area between Star Tours FP entrance and the Astro Orbiter. I happened to catch the eye of a cast member and gave a pointed nod toward the smoker. She quickly thanked me and asked him to put it out and relocate.

While CMs are pretty good about enforcement, I suspect there are times they miss things... and probably wish they could unsee or ignore violations instead of dealing with them. I know I would!

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201903/6686/

New park policies going into effect. Personally I’m VERY happy about both! I saw a lot more stroller wagons last week than in previous trips & Big Thunder smoking area is miserable to walk through as a non-smoker.

(Same thing happening at WDW FYI.)

I hate that smoking area and really don't mind that they're getting rid of it as a non-smoker. Sorry, smokers.

Rats. There goes my plan to take 3 packs of smokes into the parks and sell them for $1.00 a piece to folks who forgot theirs.:rolleyes1
Guess I'll just have a heart-attack,so they can use the 20+ AEDs in the park. :rolleyes:

I hate that smoking area and really don't mind that they're getting rid of it as a non-smoker. Sorry, smokers.

I hardly think there is a need to apologize. There are barely any smokers left. It seems like a lot when they are all gathered in one spot, but I think this policy will only negatively impact a tiny percentage of people.

I am also happy to hear the of the new May 1st Non-Smoking and Stroller policies.

Not having a smoking area inside DL/DCA is like the PDX airport.
Once you pass through TSA there is NO smoking.
If you want a smoke, you have to exit the concourse.
Walk to the smoking zone out by the drive-up drop off curb.
And go through TSA again to re-enter the concourse.

Business' have signs on the front door "No Smoking within 10 feet"
Some places have “Smoke Free / Tobacco Free campus” signs posted.
Look around, you will see No Smoking signs are posted in many places of our world.

It is a new policy for Disney.
This is NOT NEW to the world.
It is the same policy other companies and business’ have adopted.

This link will show you the No Smoking Zones in California.
https://www.bing.com/search?q=no+sm...sc=4-16&cvid=51cdb3cc3d8a4bdaae1aebc1faf98665

Click on a few of the listed websites and you will see it is not Disney singling out the smokers.

Disney has finally chosen to follow suit with the policy.
Now they just have to enforce the policies.

Geemo

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter