Smoking & stroller wagons banned May 1!

I whole heartedly agree with this also. I realize I don't have kids and maybe I don't get the need but it was always official policy though rarely enforced that no wagons were allowed anyway. I see this as the selfie stick ban where there will be given no leeway to enter past security. Thankfully unlike selfie sticks there's no way to just hide it.

I truly hope travel agents and Disney posts information at the parks now as well to help advise guests.

Thank you for posting this! The Big Thunder smoking area was nasty even when riding through there on the train. The idea of a rumored stand by area there for SWGE was making me nervous. But I do hope that Disney will make adequate accommodation for smokers outside the secure zone. If there isn't a clearly designated place for smokers to go, things could get messy. At least at MHP, the maps tell smokers to go outside DL to the esplanade where there is a designated smoking area, so CMs can point smokers to a specific place.
And I hope Disney is able to get the word out to guests planning their trips for May 1st and shortly thereafter. People planning to bring wagons or planning on smoking in the parks need to hear this news soon so they can adjust accordingly.
ETA: Has anyone seen an official Disney announcement on this? Link?

Last edited:

I’m also happy with this rule. The smoking area never bothered me much because we rarely used that path but it makes sense to get rid of it with SWGE opening.

The giant wagon strollers and super wide ones are what bugged me. Can’t tell ya how many times we’ve nearly been run over by people with those things. Especially in Adventureland.

So happy it's true the smoking area in DL is going away (it eliminated an entire pathway for me) and that they are not only reducing the size of allowed strollers, but also closing the loophole that technically allowed the push wagons.

There are going to be a lot of upset people I'm sure on all of this, but with the crowds that are coming, it all really is a necessary change.

I do figure there will be an uptick in vapers sneaking several puffs throughout their day. And several people who will still show up with a push wagon even though they are specifically banned. It will be very interesting to see how enforcement goes.

I’m going to start praying for the security people who have to enforce this stroller thing now...

I also hope the employees in the parking areas will do their part to alert guests before they hit security. In the Toy Story lot in particular, no one should be getting on a bus with an unusable stroller.

Thrilled to hear about the smoking ban. It’s about time.

This is great news. You can still have tandem strollers, Just not the side by side ones.
This isn’t true. Most of the strollers you see in Disney now are in compliance. The only ones they seem to be targeting are the wagons which hilariously actually have smaller dimensions than most.

It is awesome that they are moving smoking out of the entire DLR. No smoking in DtD or the esplanade is a great bonus too!

I am just curious what happens if you get caught trying to smoke or vape? You can not bring in alcohol or marijuana and they are both legal. Will you still be able to bring tobacco in the park? I am just glad all of Disneyland (minus SWGE) is now free of all three.

Strollers have to be no larger than 31" wide and 52" long. That's still pretty big and I feel is generous.

I noticed at the bottom of the article that they've also banned loose ice and dry ice (I didn't realize anyone brought in dry ice). I was surprised about the ice ban. Is that a roundabout way of curtailing ice chests?

I noticed at the bottom of the article that they've also banned loose ice and dry ice (I didn't realize anyone brought in dry ice). I was surprised about the ice ban. Is that a roundabout way of curtailing ice chests?[/QUOTE]

From the Disney Parks Blog's Lisa Mendillo, Communications Manager, Walt Disney World Resort

"Yes, you may continue to bring ice inside water bottles or resealable bags. The new rule applies to ice that is loose within a container such as a cooler."
Probably had complainants from the locker area from water dripping into other lockers as loose ice melted that was just put into soft sided coolers without being in a bag.

Strollers have to be no larger than 31" wide and 52" long. That's still pretty big and I feel is generous.

I noticed at the bottom of the article that they've also banned loose ice and dry ice (I didn't realize anyone brought in dry ice). I was surprised about the ice ban. Is that a roundabout way of curtailing ice chests?

No, it's because the security CMs don't want to shift through a bunch of ice in a cooler to make sure that there isn't any contraband in there.

Will you still be able to bring tobacco in the park?

That’s a good question. Will they make people throw it out at security? Even if they’re planning on abiding on the rules and going out on a harbor for a smoke break later in the day?

One of our friends smokes and I’m sure he’d like to know in advance so he could just leave them at the hotel rather than risk having to throw his smokes out. Yeah, yeah he should just quit but if you’ve ever been a smoker (proudly smoke free for four years now!) or know one- that argument falls on deaf ears.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter