Skipper Canteen "push"

I don't think SC needs to dumb down the menu. In fact, given the food is exceptionally bland, I think they've already attempted to dumb down their dishes. What they really need to do is improve the quality of the food and offer something a bit more authentic. Sanaa and Jiko don't seem to have any problem drawing people in. Tusker House and Boma offer flavorful food (granted, they have some more "traditional fare"). Simply improve the food and adjust the pricing and they may have a winner on their hands!

Edited to add - forgot to mention Tangierine Cafe and Spice Road Table! Two other examples of more "exotic" flavorful food at WDW!

Last edited:
Here's my two cents..
I'm a reasonably adventurous eater. I have food allergies but that doesn't tend to limit me on where I can eat at Disney. I think the theme and the adventurous nature clash. When I think of a fun restaurant I think of something like 50s or Sci Fi where there will be something for everyone to eat. When I think of "adventurous food" at Disney I think of places like Sanaa or Jiko that do no necessarily appeal to everyone, but are not trying to pitch themselves as a fun family restaurant. I think the result is no one is really sure who the restaurant is really "aimed at".

I think this is a really good take - plus it seems like for people who want it to be super authentic the food isn't good enough or authentic enough so they are unsatisfied as well

Feels like there is enough food to cover where they can have some more family friendly options with a bit of an exotic twist (like the skewers they have at Bengal Tiger in Disneyland) and a few more traditional/authentic dishes that they can nail since they don't need those to appeal to everyone that it can still be a hit.

Plus maybe figure out a way to at least make lunch a bit cheaper - maybe by doing small plates or something . If you aren't going to do ADRs I think, especially for lunch, pricing wise it needs to be closer to what something like CHH would cost you

...I think the result is no one is really sure who the restaurant is really "aimed at".

While the ADR, or lack of in this case, issue is a problem, it is also one of those things that will sort itself out in time.

The real issue it seems (since we have yet to try it for ourselves, I am only coming to this based on the reviews and comments in threads like this one) is that SC has a real identity crisis. They obviously didn't want to play it safe and offer items that appeal to the masses and yet they didn't take it far enough to please the "foodie" or "more adventurous" guests. It seems like it is stuck in this palate limbo, where it just ends up not really appealing or satisfying to either side (but finds a few fans that are in the middle). IMO, it shouldn't be dumbed down for the masses (offering the same typical food, but with clever JC themed names), but instead it should finish up what it started and really get to that level that sets it apart from the other MK offerings and start to deliver food that is truly atypical, at least by MK standards.

at the very least the food they serve should be GOOD. Somehow they have to strike a balance between making the offerings LOOK exotic and trying to appeal to the masses. Like that pork dish, it's kind of barbecue pork Chinese style, why isn't it appealing to those who purchase barbecue ribs at their local Chinese restaurant? Is it the name, or the looks of the dish, or are they just worried that there are no chicken nuggets?

And they are calling that other dish Mac and Cheese when it isn't what most Americans going into a restaurant would consider to be Mac and Cheese. Why did they not give the dish its proper name?

Even many of those who like such dishes are saying that the food isn't up to par for them either, because it just doesn't taste right or isn't prepared correctly. And the prices don't help.

I don't think SC needs to dumb down the menu. In fact, given the food is exceptionally bland, I think they've already attempted to dumb down their dishes. What they really need to do is improve the quality of the food and offer something a bit more authentic. Sanaa and Jiko don't seem to have any problem drawing people in. Tusker House and Boma offer flavorful food (granted, they have some more "traditional fare"). Simply improve the food and adjust the pricing and they may have a winner on their hands!
Agree whole heartedly the food should be better and more authentic not dumbed down

Whether or not the menu appeals is obviously a matter of personal taste. I would have been willing to try it even with no ADR's. I don't even really care if the portions are small and the menu is overpriced if it is amazing. I was really hoping to read great reviews about the food. It seems that the majority have been negative. That is the deal breaker for me. Authentic, not authentic-whatever. Bad food is bad food.

Is the SC operated and owned by Disney or is it a leased restaurant like Yak & Yeti?

Disney. All food service in MK is Disney operated. (Except Starbucks).

Last edited:
They must really be torn on whether to open it up for ADRs. Seems to me that a same day reservation policy is just a litmus test to see if the place becomes more popular when people can plan ahead.

They must really be torn on whether to open it up for ADRs. Seems to me that a same day reservation policy is just a litmus test to see if the place becomes more popular when people can plan ahead.

I remember a long, long time ago that was the way it was set up at Epcot. You would go to an outside centralized "hub" on the south side of Spaceship Earth and talk to a CM on a television type monitor - which was unbelievably cool then. The CM would check for availability at the Epcot restaurants and then schedule your reservation for that day. While I am a planner and actually enjoy the ADR race somewhat, I know of alot of individuals who wish Disney would go back to this type of system, i.e. same day reservations only.

My guess is that may help some, but not much. Square peg/round hole. Just make it available for a regular ADR already.

I remember a long, long time ago that was the way it was set up at Epcot. You would go to an outside centralized "hub" on the south side of Spaceship Earth and talk to a CM on a television type monitor - which was unbelievably cool then. The CM would check for availability at the Epcot restaurants and then schedule your reservation for that day. While I am a planner and actually enjoy the ADR race somewhat, I know of alot of individuals who wish Disney would go back to this type of system, i.e. same day reservations only.

Do you also remember the individual kiosks located in WS where you could book reservations? There were several of them dotted around the lagoon.

The menu looks good to me, but the price point is a little high, especially when comparing to lunch at Be Our Guest. $22 for Chicken Pho (Rice Noodle Bowl) is a little steep to me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter