Skipper Canteen "push"

read all the comments on this restaurant. Fish with bones, ew. Shrimp with heads, ew. Mac and cheese with meat in it, that's too different. Food with spices (although it's been noted by persons who tried it that nothing is heavily spiced). Nothing "standard." The dishes have funny names that we don't understand. $21 for "a bowl of soup." This happened with BOG too ("my kid won't eat anything on that menu, why can't they have pizza") but people wanted BOG anyway because of the theming....the theming is not picking up the slack at SC. People expected servers in character the full time and they are not getting that...if they are lucky they might get a few jokes. Add no ADRs and no discounts, and they struggle to fill the place.

To me picky does not equal normal. Just my opinion.

Picky would describe a lot of kids on what they like to eat, which is pretty normal for kids these days. Just my opinion.

So here's the difference between us:

You're looking for a restaurant that will have something for everyone. And I get that, and I get that some people just want table service and some food that will satisfy their hunger and their kids' demands.

But if "something for everyone" were my criterion, I'd stick to counter service, since there are lots of choices, no need for reservation, and generally no problem with bringing food from one CS restaurant to another eating area. Why spend money on table service if the primary goal is "something that everyone will be willing to eat."

If I'm eating at Table Service, it's not enough that it be acceptable, it has to be special and enjoyable to be worth the extra price. Buffets, by definition, can't be counted on for freshly cooked food. For anyone who prefers a light lunch, with a snack or dessert an hour or two later, a buffet is going to be really overpriced, particularly with the price inflation for character buffets. The menus (at both Disney and allears) for the CP are pretty random - who knows what you'll get with the array of salads or seasonal fish? And then there are all the kids who are too short for the sneeze guards to be effective.

So yeah, I could probably get my calorie allotment at any of the TS restaurants, except perhaps CRT. But I base my decision on something other than palatable calories per dollar.

GaryDis, yes there is a huge difference between us. How many people go with you to Disney? I have 7 people I have to plan for. Dh and I, 3 teenagers and 2 little people ages 3 and 5. I have to find something for everyone. We go to places that are special and enjoyable to all 5 of the older people in the group (for the most part, because we do also go to places that the littles enjoy too) and are glad that there are kids meals for the 2 littles to eat. We go to Character meals mostly for the characters and are pleasantly surprised (we like CP for breakfast) when the food is good. We do that for our entertainment. Skippers has no big draw plus their menu does not look like a menu we would enjoy. Like I said above, I am sure it will be a hit if they work out the kinks. you and all the Skipper lovers can enjoy Skippers while other people enjoy the buffets, family style etc.. That is what is great at Disney, there is plenty for everyone to enjoy.

GaryDis, yes there is a huge difference between us. How many people go with you to Disney? I have 7 people I have to plan for.
The times I've been with a group that big (DH, SIL, picky eater BIL, 2 nieces), I'm pretty sure that if we did table service in the park at all, it was in Epcot. Maybe Rainforest Cafe at AK, if that counts. I recall driving off property a couple of times. And we got some decent mileage out of the Pepper Market at CSR, which isn't really table service.

This was quite a while back, when we could still count on wandering characters. I don't recall if we did any character meals.

The times I've been with a group that big (DH, SIL, picky eater BIL, 2 nieces), I'm pretty sure that if we did table service in the park at all, it was in Epcot. Maybe Rainforest Cafe at AK, if that counts. I recall driving off property a couple of times. And we got some decent mileage out of the Pepper Market at CSR, which isn't really table service.

This was quite a while back, when we could still count on wandering characters. I don't recall if we did any character meals.

Picky would describe a lot of kids on what they like to eat, which is pretty normal for kids these days. Just my opinion.

GaryDis, yes there is a huge difference between us. How many people go with you to Disney? I have 7 people I have to plan for. Dh and I, 3 teenagers and 2 little people ages 3 and 5. I have to find something for everyone. We go to places that are special and enjoyable to all 5 of the older people in the group (for the most part, because we do also go to places that the littles enjoy too) and are glad that there are kids meals for the 2 littles to eat. We go to Character meals mostly for the characters and are pleasantly surprised (we like CP for breakfast) when the food is good. We do that for our entertainment. Skippers has no big draw plus their menu does not look like a menu we would enjoy. Like I said above, I am sure it will be a hit if they work out the kinks. you and all the Skipper lovers can enjoy Skippers while other people enjoy the buffets, family style etc.. That is what is great at Disney, there is plenty for everyone to enjoy.

We just got back from a 9 day trip with 7 people- at two TS a day- tried Skippers but the food just wasn't good. I don't think I would go out of my way to go there again. Our favorites were Sanaa, Yachstman, Blue Zoo, and then the character meals were good too for a different reason (Akershus, Tusker House, Hollywood and Vine). One of the great things about Disney is all the variety of dining options!

Mostly because of what they're fed. Nowhere else in the world but the US are kids fed chicken nuggets as a dietary staple. Millions of children in India would find a nugget not "normal." Now, sure, they're not at Disney, but we don't have to dumb down every table service AT Disney to the least common denominator.

About six years ago, while waiting for our names to be called within the Liberty Tree Tavern, a stunned British lady came in and asked about a table for her family. They were all ADR'd up for the evening. And the following evening, the next, and for the entire week. She stated, "We are vacationing here for three weeks, is there nothing?" One slot was located, nearly three weeks later at about 9 PM. She was thrilled and took it!

Granted, one simple story. However, a MK restaurant not accepting ADRs could work over time. We'll wander past, and perhaps...just perhaps... Every now and then, a full "perfect" meal isn't planned -- flying by the seat your pants, like the old days! :)

that reminds me of checking into Le Cellier in the month of May, back in the old days before it went signature, and a couple came up to the podium and asked for the first possible time they could have dinner. The gal at the podium said "August."

Now, you could probably get in there if you just waited a day or so, maybe not even that.

We tried out the new Skipper Canteen on Sunday. We loved the atmosphere and decor and the "Skipper" waiters were very nice. Most were in Character, some with a bit of a Skipper spiel. Though we loved that experience we came there for lunch and this is where the experience fell flat. We started with the Baladi Salad that we shared. It was nice but at $9 for a basic salad a bit overpriced. My wife had the Mac and Cheese, without meat, and again it was ok but nothing special. I had the noodle bowl with duck and this was a HUGE disappointment. I eat Pho at least twice a week and this was not even in the same league as the worst I have had at home. First off was the size. For $23 I expect a good size bowl of soup. What I received would not even qualify as a "small" at any place I am used to. The next problem was the broth. It was just off putting to me. I think the problem is that they just created a generic broth that they plop whatever protein you order into. It just cannot compare to a regular chicken or beef broth that has been simmering for hours. In the end the food portion or quality did not justify the $74 price tag for lunch. We can get a yummier meal at Columbia Harbor House for about half that. Too bad, they have a killer opportunity here, they need to do something or this is going to go down as an Epic Fail. :-(

Kevin and Mona

Mostly because of what they're fed. Nowhere else in the world but the US are kids fed chicken nuggets as a dietary staple. Millions of children in India would find a nugget not "normal." Now, sure, they're not at Disney, but we don't have to dumb down every table service AT Disney to the least common denominator.
Even as an American, if you think about what it really is... it's a breaded, fried lump, from parts (of the chicken) unknown... and people are complaining because they cannot feed this item to their children on vacation the same way they choose to at home. Amazing. :rotfl:

I should have that problem! Our DD11 wants Maryland crabcakes, NY strip, calamari, scallops or lobster wherever she goes. I told her she better marry rich, she's a very expensive date.

I should have that problem! Our DD11 wants Maryland crabcakes, NY strip, calamari, scallops or lobster wherever she goes. I told her she better marry rich, she's a very expensive date.
He's a regrettably younger man, and hard to tell his long-term prospects, but she'd get along with my boy, who never met salmon, shrimp or steak that he didn't find a great idea, although he's willing to settle for Thai carryout if he must.

My problem isn't simply "the fear of giving up an ADR". I mean it IS, but it's specifically because I plan for a big group. I'd be "okay" with trying to walk up if it was a few of us. hey if that's their method, then so be it. ( We got to BRG regularly, but there, we can go a few hours ahead of time and "reserve" ). But I'm booking for 14. Something tells me that if I walk up to the podium and ask for a table for 14... they will use all their cast member powers to not laugh at me.

ALTHOUGH... from the sound of things, it might not be crowded and this might be possible...

Still... no TiW might also be a deal breaker.

We tried out the new Skipper Canteen on Sunday. We loved the atmosphere and decor and the "Skipper" waiters were very nice. Most were in Character, some with a bit of a Skipper spiel. Though we loved that experience we came there for lunch and this is where the experience fell flat. We started with the Baladi Salad that we shared. It was nice but at $9 for a basic salad a bit overpriced. My wife had the Mac and Cheese, without meat, and again it was ok but nothing special. I had the noodle bowl with duck and this was a HUGE disappointment. I eat Pho at least twice a week and this was not even in the same league as the worst I have had at home. First off was the size. For $23 I expect a good size bowl of soup. What I received would not even qualify as a "small" at any place I am used to. The next problem was the broth. It was just off putting to me. I think the problem is that they just created a generic broth that they plop whatever protein you order into. It just cannot compare to a regular chicken or beef broth that has been simmering for hours. In the end the food portion or quality did not justify the $74 price tag for lunch. We can get a yummier meal at Columbia Harbor House for about half that. Too bad, they have a killer opportunity here, they need to do something or this is going to go down as an Epic Fail. :-(

Kevin and Mona
I felt the same thing about the food quality at SC (and have said as much on here). I love such a huge variety of foods and flavors and spices and herbs that the menu even now sounds intriguing. The issue was the execution didn't match the grasp of the kitchen: blah broths, flat salad dressings, pedestrian sauces, and overcooked meats. If you're going to pony up significant dollars, the food has to be very good, not just tolerable.

I think a lot of pan-ethnic places tend to crash and burn on execution, simply because the "pan" part waters down the "ethnic."

I live in a place with great pho (lots of boat people settled in the area). I would expect somewhere trying to do South American, Egyptian and pho to fail out along the way at some of the attempt, or to end up presenting sort of an ethnic-lite end result. For some, that'll be "too weird" yet, and for others, it'll be "not ethnic enough." It's hard to make work.

Because JC handles several rivers, I can see why they might want to try to represent all of them on the menu, but I can't help but think that if they committed to ONE continent, they might have better luck.

He's a regrettably younger man, and hard to tell his long-term prospects, but she'd get along with my boy, who never met salmon, shrimp or steak that he didn't find a great idea, although he's willing to settle for Thai carryout if he must.

My oldest, who is 12, is the same way, although she doesn't eat meat or poultry. All my kids are pretty adventurous (except the toddler, who won't eat anything with sauce). We kept her happy with the grilled fish served at most TS.

I'd love to try SC if the food is decent. I'll be down in May with my mom and the afore-mentioned toddler and we might stop in for lunch. I do wish they'd take TIW. That just seems like a silly business decision. But, if I recall, they didn't take it at Spice Road Table at first, did they?

Here's my two cents..
I'm a reasonably adventurous eater. I have food allergies but that doesn't tend to limit me on where I can eat at Disney. I think the theme and the adventurous nature clash. When I think of a fun restaurant I think of something like 50s or Sci Fi where there will be something for everyone to eat. When I think of "adventurous food" at Disney I think of places like Sanaa or Jiko that do no necessarily appeal to everyone, but are not trying to pitch themselves as a fun family restaurant. I think the result is no one is really sure who the restaurant is really "aimed at".

LOL I tell my DD the same thing. She has ALWAYS loved a good restaurant! Even when she was in preschool we could take her anywhere and order off the menu. He favorite birthday was Cali Grill for wishes the year she turned 9.

If it's a TS restaurant, I want a reservation. We were there 14-15 and 18-19 Jan (before/after a cruise)--no ADRs being taken. OK, new restaurant, maybe they're not ready for that yet. But we're looking at going over 4th of July weekend and tried to book ADRs, but they're not taking ADRs for that time, either.

We'd give it a shot if we could book an ADR (and if they accept TiW). But sorry, I'm not going to a TS place and hope I won't have a wait. My touring time's too precious.

ETA: I should've read the 13+ pages before I jumped in with an opinion that was stated many times previously. My apologies. But it seems that WDW wants it both ways. With ADRs and FP+ they've pushed us to be uber-planners. They shouldn't be shocked now that no ADR system is at least part of the cause for a new TS restaurant struggling.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter