Skipper Canteen "push"

TheRustyScupper

Everyone Is Responsible For Everyone.
1) The new Skipper Canteen is somewhat of a disappointment.
. . . to guests
. . . to WDW
2) The word is out, and the attendance is not stellar.
. . . people are simply not lining up to gain access
. . . at other new eateries, people would stop by, eager to try it out
3) In fact, WDW wants Cast Members to make a special effort to actually recommend to guests that they attend!
4) We casually call this a "PUSH".
5) From our official notification:
"As a reminder, the Jungle Skipper Canteen, a new Adventureland eatery, is now open at Magic Kingdom Park. Please encourage Guests to visit the restaurant podium to inquire about availability. We are not currently offering reservations for this location.
With a storyline extending from the nearby Jungle Cruise attraction, this new table service dining adventure is like no other. The crew of the World Famous Jungle Cruise serve up a side of signature jungle skipper humor with every meal in one of three curiously quirky dining rooms. Dishes include grilled steak, head-on shrimp and a rice noodle bowl, topped off with vanilla chiffon cake or African-inspired chocolate cake for dessert. Themed, non-alcoholic specialty drinks such as the Punch Line Punch and Schweitzer Slush are an adventurous addition to any meal."

I still haven't been able to figure out why they don't accept ADRs. I wonder if a lot of guests are reluctant to give up a sure ADR time ( relative, to be sure), for a possibly longer, uncertain seating time at Skippers. Personally, I'm looking forward to trying it on our next visit

Out of general curiosity, how long does a company continue on a course that isn't working before they change something? (I know SC has been open less than a month, not speaking directly to that)

I suppose it depends on the bankroll behind it, but I've seen this with a local boutique hotel, too.

One would think $400/nt with only 20% occupancy sends a message, but the business plan has not changed. I know they have a bottom line to meet, I just don't understand the methodology, I guess.

Last edited:

I still haven't been able to figure out why they don't accept ADRs. I wonder if a lot of guests are reluctant to give up a sure ADR time ( relative, to be sure), for a possibly longer, uncertain seating time at Skippers. Personally, I'm looking forward to trying it on our next visit

Agree.

At this point, if it's not full from walk in, get it on the ADR system to be booked. I think most guests have no idea it's a walk up restaurant. If you go on the app and tried to book dinner at MK, it comes up but says "No Times Available." I'm looking at next week, I can get dinner for 4 at Liberty Tree, Plaza, Crystal Palace and Tony's but not BOG or CRT (says call to book). So if I didn't know anything about the current setup I would just assume it is fully booked too since it's new, and in that case I would just book another meal if I really wanted TS.

I got to try it last week during a 12:00pm lunch. The restaurant wasn't packed at all and the wait was minimal.

The food was just okay for me. The honey(?) sauce they pair with the bread didn't match. By themselves they taste good but I don't think the flavors pair well. For my main meal, I had the rice noodle bowl with chicken. My waiter cautioned me that it's really spicy but I welcome spice. It wasn't spicy at all and the flavors were very mild. Overall it was a nice dish but I wish it had more of a kick to it. (In contrast, I love dishes from Sanaa, Flame Tree, Yak & Yeti. All Animal Kingdom related, go figure!)

I'm willing to come back to try other dishes. On the plus side, the restaurant space was nice and airy and I like the tall ceilings in the main dining hall.

They need to put this restaurant on the ADR system! Many are not willing to not have a table service reserved with an ADR. If a guest has an ADR at Tony's, for example, they walk by Skipper and there is availability and they are seated, they will lose $10 per person at Tony's for not canceling the day before! The ADR cancellation rules put the guest at a big disadvantage, in this case!

I know that is why we won't be trying it. Along with contradictory info on if it takes TiW.

I wonder if people who want to just walk up also don't want to pay $18-$34 for an entree when they can "walk up" to CHH for a $9-13 entree (and not have to tip).

I'll probably get a lot of flack for saying this...but I would TOTALLY come here if they served alcohol. Yes, I can get through a meal without booze. No, I don't need booze to have fun. But I see a TS as a respite from the hustle and bustle of the park. I would really enjoy sitting with a tropical drink to cool off in a nice airy restaurant.

I don't know, I'm not buying the whole "wine fits into the concept of BOG" and I'm not sure how a delicious tropical drink doesn't fit into the theme of Jungle Cruise.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Was at WDW Dec. 20-30 and spent 2 days at MK. I would have liked to try it out but we had our ADRs set months in advance. When we walked by there was a CM outside trying to entice guests to come in, which I thought was odd. Now I see why. I certainly wasn't going to cancel a planned ADR just on the off chance that we would be seated without hassle as walk-ups and it was too late after we got to the park.

I'm just leaving a slot open in our plan, so we can try to eat there. I figured if we couldn't get in, we'd do QS for that one meal (we got the DDP and are eating all lunch/dinner meals at TS). From what I see hear, looks like that plan will not be a problem at all.

I would maybe try the menu, but the prices don't encourage me. As somebody posted above already I'll go eat elsewhere for less.

I'll probably get a lot of flack for saying this...but I would TOTALLY come here if they served alcohol. Yes, I can get through a meal without booze. No, I don't need booze to have fun. But I see a TS as a respite from the hustle and bustle of the park. I would really enjoy sitting with a tropical drink to cool off in a nice airy restaurant.

I don't know, I'm not buying the whole "wine fits into the concept of BOG" and I'm not sure how a delicious tropical drink doesn't fit into the theme of Jungle Cruise.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

I would like this more than once if I could:) It just screams tropical drink with an umbrella, especially in that souvenir mug!

I'm just leaving a slot open in our plan, so we can try to eat there. I figured if we couldn't get in, we'd do QS for that one meal (we got the DDP and are eating all lunch/dinner meals at TS). From what I see hear, looks like that plan will not be a problem at all.

We are doing the same thing. There wasn't any TS I really wanted to do at MK, except Skippers Canteen. We have done BOG lunch and dinner and LTT lunch. Since Skippers isn't taking reservations yet, I think we will try to eat dinner there. If it's too busy, then we will do a QS. No dining plan for us.

We walked up today and were seated without a problem. The place wasn't crowded, theming and service were great but the good was lackluster. Color me disappointed.

I know that is why we won't be trying it. Along with contradictory info on if it takes TiW

they do not take TiW. Or at least weren't taking it today.

Agreed. We would probably go back if we could get cocktails.

Last edited:
I would like this more than once if I could:) It just screams tropical drink with an umbrella, especially in that souvenir mug!

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

But ... that would involve liquor and that would be a big jump from wine and beer. Enjoyable but doubt it will ever happen.

Given that it's not filled to capacity, do you think it would be frowned upon to just grab apps or desert there (with adequate gratuity)? I don't plan to (or want to) leave time/meals/funds to eat a whole meal there, but I wouldn't mind checking it out.

I know that is why we won't be trying it. Along with contradictory info on if it takes TiW.

I wonder if people who want to just walk up also don't want to pay $18-$34 for an entree when they can "walk up" to CHH for a $9-13 entree (and not have to tip).

When we went - just open - they took mine. Then they stopped. Unless they bring it back I won't eat any meals there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter