Shampoo, conditioner ... Dispensers?

WDW had made the change to the refillable bottles last year. We had gone during Spring Break and actually loved the refillable bottles since my boyfriend and I both have thick hair. One tiny bottle of shampoo won't do it so I'm glad the cruises switched to this too!

In terms of the navigator, it's a little upsetting knowing they took away a service we expected when booking, especially when it is such a simple thing.

I read about these changes before I took a cruise over the weekend, so I wasn't surprised. The only thing that bothered me was that there was no bar of soap. I feel there should have been some type of hand soap in the toilet room. I didn't realize it until I already used the toilet and had to go to the shower to pump some gel to wash my hands. When the shops were open later, I bought a little bar of soap for $3.99. I will remember to bring my own cheaper bar next time.

I'm sure I could have gotten something from my stateroom host, but it was a 2 night cruise and I wasn't going to hang around to try to catch him to ask for soap. Maybe I could have left him a note. At any rate, just easier and more efficient to bring my own next time.

I plan to snag some bar soap from the Disney hotel we will be staying at before the cruise. I will get my pound of flesh one way or another:rotfl2:

We stayed at the Pier 2620 Hotel in San Francisco the summer before last. They had body wash/conditioner/shampoo in containers similar to the ones I am seeing on this thread, but they were mounted in a locking wire rack on the shower wall, so guests couldn’t open the lids or remove the bottles. But they also had the normal bar of soap, a small bottle of hand lotion & mouthwash, etc. by the sink. I thought these looked tasteful:

4923DBB4-E14F-410D-A40C-06509AF19001.jpeg

We also had wall mounted dispensers in the shower at Yosemite Valley Lodge that same trip. I’m pretty sure they locked on top. There was a set with lotion and soap near the sink. These looked industrial, but the accommodations weren’t exactly lux, so they fit in just fine:
7DEF28B7-5269-42E6-AE90-3E9BBEBC0DE9.jpeg

I honestly like the idea of big dispensers on DCL because, between my girls and I, we use a ton of conditioner and those little bottles are never enough. But it doesn’t look like DCL thought this through enough.

Or did they? With the limited room inside a cruise ship shower perhaps they made the decision to let the customer decide if the bottles were going to be in there with them. That and a cruise ship isn't as easy to maintain as a brick wall, so perhaps they decided that shooting some more anchors through a shower stall was too labor intensive and a possible maintenance issue.

I have purchased the non-Disney toiletries from H2O+. They aren’t quite the same, something is a little different. I prefer the Disney branded, even if it costs more.

We stayed at the Pier 2620 Hotel in San Francisco the summer before last. They had body wash/conditioner/shampoo in containers similar to the ones I am seeing on this thread, but they were mounted in a locking wire rack on the shower wall, so guests couldn’t open the lids or remove the bottles. But they also had the normal bar of soap, a small bottle of hand lotion & mouthwash, etc. by the sink. I thought these looked tasteful:

View attachment 395035

We also had wall mounted dispensers in the shower at Yosemite Valley Lodge that same trip. I’m pretty sure they locked on top. There was a set with lotion and soap near the sink. These looked industrial, but the accommodations weren’t exactly lux, so they fit in just fine:
View attachment 395036

I honestly like the idea of big dispensers on DCL because, between my girls and I, we use a ton of conditioner and those little bottles are never enough. But it doesn’t look like DCL thought this through enough.

My current workout studio and the yoga studio I used to volunteer at for classes has the kind in the second picture, and no, there is no way to lock the tops of those. They can be hard to get off, but they are not locked.

Are there any WDW resorts that have not been "upgraded" with these dispensers and still leave the little bottles and soaps? This may seriously affect where we decide to stay on our next trip :)

Are there any WDW resorts that have not been "upgraded" with these dispensers and still leave the little bottles and soaps? This may seriously affect where we decide to stay on our next trip :)

We were at The Yacht Club 2 weeks ago, individual bottles were still in our room.

Ditto for BCV two weeks ago.

We were on the 5/4-5/11 Fantasy cruise. I thought the bottles looked elegant. I like the idea of less plastic. However, the bottles emit the tiniest amount of product with each pump. My wrist was truly sore after 4 or 5 pumps of the shower gel which yielded maybe a dime size amount. I'd give up, use that small amount and feel like I was mostly washing with water! I gave up after a couple showers and pulled out a fragrance free bar of soap with which I always travel.

We were on the 5/4-5/11 Fantasy cruise. I thought the bottles looked elegant. I like the idea of less plastic. However, the bottles emit the tiniest amount of product with each pump. My wrist was truly sore after 4 or 5 pumps of the shower gel which yielded maybe a dime size amount. I'd give up, use that small amount and feel like I was mostly washing with water! I gave up after a couple showers and pulled out a fragrance free bar of soap with which I always travel.

If they aren't sealed as people have noted just open them up and dump some out.

Was at BWVs in a one bedroom villa 5 days ago and got plenty of individual bottles and both soaps -- left by sink/shower and the tub. Was really shocked! Took them all to have once the switch is made.

If they aren't sealed as people have noted just open them up and dump some out.

Thanks. What a waste though. Perhaps they should not feel them to the top but then people might complain!:hyper2:

I also noticed that if you hold the bottom and pull up on the pump before pushing down, you'll get a lot more out per pump.

Thank you. I will have to try that next time.

I also noticed that if you hold the bottom and pull up on the pump before pushing down, you'll get a lot more out per pump.
That tip would've come in handy for me. I use a lot of body wash and you hardly get any so i'm pumping the bottle probably 20 times to just to get enough out. It's super tedious.

I prefer the Elemis products and tried to purchase a bottle in Senses Spa but they no longer offer the shower products because they've switched to the dispensers.

That tip would've come in handy for me. I use a lot of body wash and you hardly get any so i'm pumping the bottle probably 20 times to just to get enough out. It's super tedious.

I prefer the Elemis products and tried to purchase a bottle in Senses Spa but they no longer offer the shower products because they've switched to the dispensers.

This was for us last week too. The time it took to keep pumping to get droplets of wash, caused a waste of water as my shower was twice as long. I gave up and used the hand bar soap in the shower.

Like others, it was tiresome with how much you had to pump to get enough shampoo and conditioner to actually use. We did have bars of soap in both of the bathrooms and got an extra bar left for us mid-week.

This was for us last week too. The time it took to keep pumping to get droplets of wash, caused a waste of water as my shower was twice as long. I gave up and used the hand bar soap in the shower.

I didn't even think about wasting water but you're totally right and I was in there a while trying to get enough product onto my hands and body. I wish Disney would reconsider how these bottles disperse the products because those pumps are really cheap and difficult to use. You really have to press down hard to get them to work and you only get a little in return.

They should use the same bottles/pumps that are used in the spa/fitness center locker rooms. These were so easy to use and I tend to work out then shower in there anyway (no spa pass needed) as the showers are much more spacious and the Elemis products are better vs H20

Last edited:

Exactly! The pumps really require a lot of pressure and force to get anything out and of course it's the littlest amount possible. I also found them to have sharp edges....not enough to cut you, but it's just super uncomfortable and irritating. I'll travel with a soap bar from now on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter