Send them to Kindergarden or Wait

In my son's class every singel one of the girls from the Spanish Wells culture act more mature than the boys of Spanish Wells culture. The teacher expects the same of each with regards to the rules. She says for the class to sit and take out books...the girls get to their desk and go for their books...the boys need another announcement. I have witnessed this since the begining of school on a weekly basis. She has tried rewarding the girls for the boys to take notice NOPE! Some of the older boys in the class are starting to focus and not need repeated prompts.

Even in my own teaching the girls have a tendency to be more mature and focused than the boys.

And yes, IMO maturity does play a role in a student being ready or capable to handle the work/pressures of school.

Great that YOUR kids met your expectations!
OK, SCREAM :scared1: :scared1: :scared1:

That is not the point I was making. It is just that I cannot stand that generalization. Each child is an indiviual. It should not be decided just because they are a certain gender.

Also, the research shows that children who are white, male, have summer birthdays, and live in affluent communities are the most likely to be held back. Since my child is all of these, if we do not hold him back, we will be one of the few who don't. That means, he will start kindergarten with a bunch of boys who are a year older than him. So, unfortunately, one of our reasons for holding DS back is that "everyone else is doing it".

Here is a link to another NY Times article about red-shirting if anyone's interested: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/03/magazine/03kindergarten-t.html?_r=1&ex=1181620800&en=f43dab2278512be8&ei=5070&emc=eta1 --Katie

I've seen the article you've linked to and it incorporates views that many in this thread have as well. In some ways it's more balanced than the prior article.

I don't know your child, of course, so please don't take this comment as directed to your personal situation. If a boy has the intellectual and emotional capability to do the work well then I don't think there's a reason to hold back. The child may be bored by the work if one waits for the chronological clock to tick through another year.

My DD will be 5 May 31st and I have thought also of holding her back. Especially since her writing skills aren't up to some of the others in her 4-k class. But in the state of Alabama the cut off date is 5 before Sept. 1st and my DH wants her to go ahead and start anyway. He says that if she is showing signs of trouble we could hold her back then. She is a really smart cookie and plays violin with her sister. I think maybe I want her to be a baby a little longer.

You are right boys are capable! My DS is capable of acting just like himself and working to his capabilities...which is not necessarily what is expected of a 5 year old, 1st grade child by the school system. No disabilities that need outside services/sp ed. Are all students capable...YES! Are all capable of meeting benchmarks/goals at the same time...NO! If there are any generalizations going on I believe it is the schools thinking that ALL children are ready to begin school at a certain age AND master the given materials generally in the same manner.

In my son's class every singel one of the girls from the Spanish Wells culture act more mature than the boys of Spanish Wells culture. The teacher expects the same of each with regards to the rules. She says for the class to sit and take out books...the girls get to their desk and go for their books...the boys need another announcement. I have witnessed this since the begining of school on a weekly basis. She has tried rewarding the girls for the boys to take notice NOPE! Some of the older boys in the class are starting to focus and not need repeated prompts.

Even in my own teaching the girls have a tendency to be more mature and focused than the boys.

And yes, IMO maturity does play a role in a student being ready or capable to handle the work/pressures of school.

Great that YOUR kids met your expectations!

OK, SCREAM :scared1: :scared1: :scared1:

I am a teacher and trust me, it is not always the BOYS with the focusing problems, imaturity, etc. I can be the girls in many instances. It depends on the child.

I agree, I hate when boys are lumped into this one big imature category. I also have three of each and with us, it is one boy and one girl (my last two) with some attention, behavior issues.

Boys do get a bad rap.

I *think* it is regional. I think it's odd how it is abused (in my experience). As I stated, I taught Head Start, a program to help with readiness. The parents of those children in Head Start wouldn't dream of holding their children back. It wasn't done. And in the more affluent areas it's the opposite. The parents are holding their children back to give them an advantage. That's my experience and it's strange to me.

I have a child who was in Head Start (First Step in my area) for the last two years due to speech and OT issues. I had no option for my ds born August 27 -- four days before the cSeptember 1 cutoff. DS was academically ready but was nowhere near socially ready for kindergarten. The school district had no options for us other than kindergarten. We were told that by law, First Step is only for 3 and 4 year olds. (I later found out this wasn't technically true, but we had already decided to go the private school route.)

DS is in PreK at a private school and is fitting in perfectly. He will be ready for K next year. He is much closer in age to the many children in his class who have birthdays in September and October than he is to the kids in K, many of whom are already 6.

I wholly believe as many earlier posters have said that the individual situation must be considered. But I also believe that parents who have children in Head Start or First Step often have no other alternatives except to keep the child home or to start the child in Kindergarten.

I have not read this entire thread, but feel I can offer a little insight here since I have a DS, currently 17, who will be 18 in July. He will begin his Senior year of HS in Sept as an 18 year old. These are the kids you are talking about...those 6 year old kids entering kindergarten will be 18 year old HS seniors.

I "held" DS back for reasons that I can not explain. I guess he was ready academically and socially. He was a well behaved boy but instead I put him into a pre-k program at age 5. I had no reasons others than the thought of him going off to college at age 18 scared the dickens out of me. So fast forward to today. This has probably been the best parental decision I have ever made...ever. DS has been able to withstand the peer pressures of HS, which I don't think he would have if he was younger. HS is brutal...plain and simple. He is in the Advanced Studies courses partial because he is a year older ans smarter. I will admit that if he wasn't a year older, he might not be able to do that. But, he will be able to go to the college of his choice, get through all this HS BS in tact and remain a confident young man. Personally, I think that with maturity (and you don't have this at age 5), comes a certain self confidence that you really need to deal with the immaturity of public HS these days. This might not be the course of action for every summer born boy out there but I believe that parents have a gut feeling about what is right for their child and should follow it. The years go so fast and before you know it you are looking at what college your child will be attending. Do what you think is right and don't sweat the small stuff....this is small stuff....trust me.

We were in the same exact situation last year...my son also has a July birthday.

He has always been a more withdrawn child. He doesn't seem as socially adaptable as other kids his age. He doesn't transition well and has to be told things a million times, even in school. He hated going to school and it was a real struggle to get him there.

Academically, he could have handled starting K this year. He knew what he needed to know to be ready for K that way. But academics aren't everything.

Ultimately, after talking to his teachers, we decided to keep him home an extra year. So, he's in pre-K this year, and he loves it. It's the same school he was at last year, but with different teachers. He happily walks out the door every morning and is really getting so much out of it. He interacts with the other kids and is transitioning much better and listening much better. I should add that his teachers last year were just as good as his teachers this year are...I honestly believe it's just his maturity level and his ability to adapt to different situations that has changed.

You just have to do what's best for your child. As long as you are comfortable with it, and it's really what's best for him, you won't regret it. I am very comfortable with the decision that we made. I was scared that I wouldn't feel that way, but it was the most natural thing in the world given how he was feeling all of last year.

Good luck!

I
I wholly believe as many earlier posters have said that the individual situation must be considered. But I also believe that parents who have children in Head Start or First Step often have no other alternatives except to keep the child home or to start the child in Kindergarten.

I disagree - they have the same option as what you did, and enroll their child in private preschool. Yes, it's costly - I've paid for 10 years of preschool, averaging $300 a month, and I'm thrilled to finally have them all in public school!

I disagree - they have the same option as what you did, and enroll their child in private preschool. Yes, it's costly - I've paid for 10 years of preschool, averaging $300 a month, and I'm thrilled to finally have them all in public school!

How can you say that they have the same option? There are families that CAN NOT afford private school. When it comes to using limited funds I would choose putting food on the table and a roof over our heads than putting my child in private school. JMO!

This is an interesting post. I have never know anyone to hold their child back from kindergarten. :confused3 In Ontario, the cut off for Jr. Kindergarten is Dec 31. So DD is starting school at age 3 in the fall (will be 5 within a few days of starting school). At this time it is a whole day everyother day. When my youngest starts Jr.K. it will be the whole day every day. She will be 3 (almost 4 ) when she starts as well.

How can you say that they have the same option? There are families that CAN NOT afford private school. When it comes to using limited funds I would choose putting food on the table and a roof over our heads than putting my child in private school. JMO!

That's exactly what I meant. The majority of the families would not have had the means for private school, even for a year.

I have found this thread to be VERY interesting. I am facing a dilemma regarding this very topic.

Background
My boys are 18 months apart.

My oldest is 3.5 and in preschool right now. Academically he is very advanced. He is already starting to read (not at preschool-I am teaching him) His written work is behind. Socially, he is right with or even below his peers. He has a May birthday.

My youngest is 2 with a November birthday. He is scary smart. He is almost at his brother's level in everything, including the reading. Socially, he is normal. His birthday is in November.

HEre is what I am struggling with
*My concern is mainly with my younger. I think it will be a HUGE disservice for him to be forced to wait a year to go to school because he misses the cutoff by a month. He will be 6 for most of his kindy year. I think he will be too advanced for kindy at that age.

*I have also considered holding my oldest back. I know that he will be more than ready academically, but I am not sure about socially. I also think some of his social/behavior issues at preschool are because he is bored and beyond shapes and colors and number recognition.

My 3rd issue is that my boys are 18 months apart in age. I would prefer them to be just 1 year apart in school and not 2 years. I am sure this may seem inconsequential, but I hate the thought of that 2 year separation between them for sports, friends, extra-curriculars, etc...

Ideally, would love to send my youngest when he was 4-turning 5 and my oldest when he is 5. But in order to do that, I will have to send my youngest to private school for 2 years, because in order to be accepted into the private kindergartens, the schools around here require 1 year at their preschool first. This would cost me a fortune!

There should be some sort of assessment. I think that would be far better than the flat cutoff dates.

My rule would be
Must be 5 by start of school OR pass assessment test if you miss the cutoff.

Sorry for rambling on so long. Just not sure what to do.

My oldest is 3.5 and in preschool right now. Academically he is very advanced. He is already starting to read (not at preschool-I am teaching him) His written work is behind. Socially, he is right with or even below his peers. He has a May birthday.

I feel you pain! I was/am in the same situation. DS has the academics (he is reading at a 3rd gr level at 5 1/2--I taught him too), but has difficulty with any writing assingments over a few words. Socially he gets a lond with his peers, but I do notice as recess (watch from afar when I volunteer) he is running around often by himself and wanting to play "make believe" games...like to be Spiderman or Star Wars while the other kids in his grade seem to just sit and have a snack or hang out at the picnic tables. This could be due to "cultural" differences in how he is raised, but even his teacher says that she thinks he needs some time to mature.
Now my situation is kinda of different becasue DS is in 1st gr. I think he would do fine or at least A LOT better in K, but we didn't have that option.

Try seeing of you older DS could spend or see a day in K. This may help you decide. You can talk to teachers (what they will teach or expect) and read what school benchmars are, but seeing the environment or how/what the other kids are doing/behaving may help easy your mind with your decision.

Does the school you plan on your children attending have an "advance" K program? This wouldn't help him be a grade ahead physically, but would at least keep him challenged.

Good luck with your decision :goodvibes

I am not picking on anyone here but if I hear one more time, "well boys don't do as well" I am going to scream! I think kids in general respond to the limitations we as parents put on them. I absolutely cannot stand the argument that little boys aren't capable. Having boys and girls I do not agree at all. Sorry for my rant. It just drives me nuts.

I completely agree with this!! My son's birthday is August 4th and though he's only 2yo, the mere thought of having him start kindy at 6yo is distressing to me. One school in our area even has different cutoff dates for boys vs. girls! Can you believe that!?! Boys have to turn 4yo by June 1st for pre-k and girls by August 1st. That is seriously ridiculous. We live inside DC, so public schools here aren't an option and I am actively seeking out schools that will allow my August birthday son to start school at 5yo.

Oh, and the reason I agree with you is that I also have one of each gender. Though my son is just 2yo, he appears to be very, very smart. He's known the alphabet and could could to twelve for months, can spell his name and even write the 1st letter, knows all shapes, colors, body parts, full name, birthday, etc. My daughter, otoh, will be 5yo next month and at 2yo was nowhere near my son's level. And maturity wise? Well, he's 2yo, so he's obviously non-stop activity, but he's much easier to get on task than my daughter, even now at nearly 5yo. He's an absolute social butterfly, has no issue with kids of any age, and loves preschool. My daughter was the exact opposite-not a shy kid by any means, but she was very reticient in her classroom for years, cried at preschool dropoff for months, etc.

But fwiw, she just started 'kindy' in January, so 2 full months before turning 5yo. The other kids in her class are already 5yo (all birthdays between August 18th and December 19th). She's in a Montessori school so she'll actually have 1.5 years of kindy, but all those other kids mentioned in her class will be in '1st grade' at her school next year (in quotes only cause it's called Lower Elementary in Montessori, encompassing grades 1-3, but they will all be in the 1st year of that, none will be back in Primary). Their cutoff is that you must be within 3 months of your birthday. So my daughter was technically eligible for kindy on November 26th, but with Thanksgiving, our trip to WDW, and then Christmas break, we thought January made more sense.

So even though I don't think she's ready in the same sense that I think my son will be, we obviously opted to put her where age appropriate and so far she is thriving. Only been a month but her reading has really taken off and she's moving along nicely with addition and multiplication, so it seems to have been appropriate.

And regarding how these red-shirted kids feel about it, having had several friends more than a year older than me in high school, I can tell you they did not like it. Yes, they liked getting their licenses first, but it also meant they became the school valets, which I don't want for my kid. They were also ridiculed about their age often. One girl was 16 months older than me (her birthday February, mine June of the following year) and her nickname was 'grandma' cause she was 17 and driving as a sophomore. We also had a kid born in December of my year so she was nearly 2 years older than him (and the several others born in December in our grade).

As for redshirting making them do better in school, nope, not always. My best friend was exactly a year older than me, but in my grade. He struggled throughout school, until we graduated high school. He had ADD and was on medication for it since he was 7yo, a year older than the majority of kids in our grade, and still was a poor student and poor athlete. All the redshirting got him was ridicule, such as "You're such an idiot cause I'm a year younger than you and in better classes." (Not said by me of course, as I said, he was and still is my best friend, but other kids were harsh.) He's now married and has already told his wife that unless there is a legitimate reason to hold their kids back, they are starting kindy at 5yo cause he will not have them go through what he did. His mom regretting her decision and sent his younger sister on time (8 year age difference), but nothing she could do about him as skipping a grade wasn't an option.

And would he have done worse a year earlier? He doesn't think so. In college he went on to do very well and is now successful in his career and he attributes that to not feeling as though something were wrong with him for being so much older than his classmates. Once he got to college he was in classes with students of all ages, so he never felt like the odd man out, with his June birthday and being more than a year older than many kids from k-12. He felt he was seen as more of an equal then and it made him want to perform better. Who knows what would have actually happened, but since he went through it and is now a functioning, successful 29yo, I'll take his word on the situation over any of my own guesses.

Best thing we ever did, we held 2 and will be holdin our last this year.

My oldest is incredibley mature and smart.

My middle I adopted, she was delayed and really needed the extra time.

My yougest is also adopted and delayed...he is 4 however, developmently he is closer to 3. He is way to wild to send to school. He attends preschool this year and will attend pre-K at the same pre-school next year.

Personally, I think it is a wise choice. You will give them the opportunity to be on the high end of the learning spectrum..

My DD12 has a July birthday. She started K when she was 5. She is consistently in the top 3 of her class and I'm glad we sent her when we did. But I had to argue with the school, they wanted us to wait. I told them to come see me regarding her acadamia and her social skills 3 months after school started, the principal and many others told me how wonderful she was and that they had made a mistake in telling me she wasn't ready. Bottom line, only YOU will know if your child is ready or not. Good luck

Exactly, only YOU will know, and honestly, if you are having doubts then you may already know your answer. My eldest will start this fall (she'll be 5 yrs 9 mos old). I briefly considered trying to get her in early and I am sure she would have "passed" socially & academically. I am not implying she is gifted, simply that she was ready.She has also been in daycare and/or preschool since she was 3 months old...so she had a school type experience.

I turned 5 a week or so after I started Kindergarten and did fine. I was even a bit shy, but certainly fit in socially and excelled academically. I believe chronological age really is less important than the child's actual developmental stage, but districts have to establish some sort of basic guideline.

Good luck in your decision. The current way of thinking does seem to be--when in doubt wait.

And regarding how these red-shirted kids feel about it, having had several friends more than a year older than me in high school, I can tell you they did not like it. Yes, they liked getting their licenses first, but it also meant they became the school valets, which I don't want for my kid. They were also ridiculed about their age often. One girl was 16 months older than me (her birthday February, mine June of the following year) and her nickname was 'grandma' cause she was 17 and driving as a sophomore. We also had a kid born in December of my year so she was nearly 2 years older than him (and the several others born in December in our grade).

As for redshirting making them do better in school, nope, not always. My best friend was exactly a year older than me, but in my grade. He struggled throughout school, until we graduated high school. He had ADD and was on medication for it since he was 7yo, a year older than the majority of kids in our grade, and still was a poor student and poor athlete. All the redshirting got him was ridicule, such as "You're such an idiot cause I'm a year younger than you and in better classes." (Not said by me of course, as I said, he was and still is my best friend, but other kids were harsh.) He's now married and has already told his wife that unless there is a legitimate reason to hold their kids back, they are starting kindy at 5yo cause he will not have them go through what he did. His mom regretting her decision and sent his younger sister on time (8 year age difference), but nothing she could do about him as skipping a grade wasn't an option.

My son is one of the older boys in school and he tends to migrate towards other older boys as well. There are plenty of them and none of them feel that age discrepancy that you describe. I think by the time they get to HS that doesn't matter as much as you think. In fact, with our school and kids, it is "cool" to be the older one. No one looks at these kids as "held back" since there are so many reasons for them to be older. My son, if asked, tells everyone that his private kindergarten school required kids to be 6. While it is true, no one ever makes any comments.

As to driving first, well that isn't a bad thing! Actually my son was one of the first to get his learners but drove with me that much longer before he got his license. That is a good thing!

Times have changed since our days in school and being the older kid isn't a bad thing anymore. Shoot, SIL (a 3rd grade teacher) just had a baby boy with a July birthday and is already saying he isn't going to start until age 6...just because.

I have followed this subject closely for 20 years because of my summer kids birthdays and it has been a topic near and dear to me. For about 98% of the kids that I have met, the extra year has been a blessing. I also think that boys do tend to benefit more from the year. You may not see that in the early years but once they get to HS, you will!

I also wanted to add that if you suspect for any reason that your child is ADD or similiar, the holding back will not benefit them. These kids would be my 2% that I witnessed that it didn't help. These kids need their meds and guidance, not neccessarily the extra year. JMO

In my experience, DD has been in classes with a 2 year age span among students. She is usually the youngest and has classmates up to 2 years older. Age has not been a factor in school success but I have seen that some parents like to hold back so school is easier for their child.

DD has been in gifted classes or some form of acceleration since Kindergarten. This year, in a new school most of the girls she is friends with are a more than a year older and could be by age in 6th grade. Instead, they were held back and are in 5th grade gifted class that does 6th grade math and LA. One mother commented that she is glad she held back so that her DD will have gifted in her college application. In reality this girls could be a 6th grader by age and is now doing 6th grade work at school. Having the gifted label may be more fun for the parent than anything else in this case.

To the OP: go with your gut, you know your child best. Holding back will not harm your child and going on time will be most likely fine as well. I have a nephew that was held back once in school and while that wasn't the ideal situation, he has been fine as well. Good luck!

I have not read this entire thread, but feel I can offer a little insight here since I have a DS, currently 17, who will be 18 in July. He will begin his Senior year of HS in Sept as an 18 year old. These are the kids you are talking about...those 6 year old kids entering kindergarten will be 18 year old HS seniors.

I "held" DS back for reasons that I can not explain. I guess he was ready academically and socially. He was a well behaved boy but instead I put him into a pre-k program at age 5. I had no reasons others than the thought of him going off to college at age 18 scared the dickens out of me. So fast forward to today. This has probably been the best parental decision I have ever made...ever. DS has been able to withstand the peer pressures of HS, which I don't think he would have if he was younger. HS is brutal...plain and simple. He is in the Advanced Studies courses partial because he is a year older ans smarter. I will admit that if he wasn't a year older, he might not be able to do that. But, he will be able to go to the college of his choice, get through all this HS BS in tact and remain a confident young man. Personally, I think that with maturity (and you don't have this at age 5), comes a certain self confidence that you really need to deal with the immaturity of public HS these days. This might not be the course of action for every summer born boy out there but I believe that parents have a gut feeling about what is right for their child and should follow it. The years go so fast and before you know it you are looking at what college your child will be attending. Do what you think is right and don't sweat the small stuff....this is small stuff....trust me.

My DS is 9 (May birthday) and one of the youngest in his class. He is bright, but is struggling with some of the social and emotional development issues (not turning in homework, refusing to work, etc.).

I so wish I had held him back. I considered sending him to a private school this year to repeat 3rd grade, then re-enroll him at public later, but his teachers talked me out of it.

Now I feel my best option may be to leave him in public through 5th, then private school for 5/6 and beyond.

My DD is a late Feb birthday. I am seriously considering holding her a year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter