SDFP... Here now. Works! *Read Post #48 and Post #671*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks! You would use a single MDE because it makes app and website usage simpler? And you can just differentiate people by names instead of MDE accounts? I was thinking about this since my 'primary' MBs would not all be on the same MDE if I managed 2 MDEs.

When using 1 MDE, is it possible to swap which MBs are phantoms and which are primary just by swapping names within the MDE on a trip by trip basis? Any other downsides to using 1 MDE? I was initially concerned about a CM inadverdantly merging the profiles, but do you just try to use names that are different enough to avoid this?

One last thing, since my 4 MBs in MDE#1 have non-expiring tickets with multiple days left, I should be able to FP+ generate for multiple days as well, not just 1 day, is that right?
You will be able to pre-book the fastpasses for as many days as you have days of tickets left. So if your non-expiring ticket had three days left, then you can book three days of fp+ with them.

Thanks! You would use a single MDE because it makes app and website usage simpler? And you can just differentiate people by names instead of MDE accounts? I was thinking about this since my 'primary' MBs would not all be on the same MDE if I managed 2 MDEs.

When using 1 MDE, is it possible to swap which MBs are phantoms and which are primary just by swapping names within the MDE on a trip by trip basis? Any other downsides to using 1 MDE? I was initially concerned about a CM inadverdantly merging the profiles, but do you just try to use names that are different enough to avoid this?

I am a little lost with your plans, but let me take a stab at it. You can rename the current people that you manage in your profile and if they have a MB and a ticket then the MB and ticket will stay with the new name. My sister stayed in our room one night, so she received a MB at check in. I had made the reservation using her name but after the trip was over I renamed her profile Harry Potter. I also kept the MB. So now Harry Potter is sitting is my MDE account with a Magic Band. Harry Potter also has a 5 day ph ticket that I had bought with the dining plan but didn't need since I have an AP. So I can make fp's for Harry Potter. And Harry Potter can reassign that ticket to anyone else that I am linked to.

One thing to remember is that the name of the person is on the back of the MB. So it could get confusing when trying to remember which Magic Band goes to which person if the name on the band didn't match the name in the MDE account. So be careful when renaming accounts. And using all these pre-booked fp's can be very confusing. We just got back from a multi-family trip which had three MagicBands with tickets for people who weren't with us. So we were able to pre=book three extra fp's per day. Those MB's had fastpasses on them but it was a big pain in the neck to remember which MagicBand went with each fp.

If you buy an AP then you will get a new AP Magic Band with it. I'm just not sure when that will be shipped.

You can reassign any unused ticket to anyone in your profile. Just use those tickets as fastpass generators. They will work for fp's until they are used up.

Last edited:

I use my families middle names to create other phantoms and it seems to work OK. I have another group of phantoms that are initials. CM's can screw things up even with 2 MDE's: I needed help linking my 2 MDE profiles and a CM deleted one of my profiles.

Has the kiosk in MK at City Hall been operational lately? I remember some posts saying that at times it was open and other times closed. We leave in just a few days, so I'll trying to get a handle on everything!

Has the kiosk in MK at City Hall been operational lately? I remember some posts saying that at times it was open and other times closed. We leave in just a few days, so I'll trying to get a handle on everything!
It was last Tuesday which was the last time I was there. :)

Will someone look over this and let me know if it will work...if so I think I have a handle on the system.

We are going during Christmas so I know things will be busy. We are a family of 4: me, DH, DD9, DS2, so we will get 3 FP+
I have purchased 4 additional magic bands and plan on adding 3 adult tickets and 1 child ticket for our next trip to work as fast past generators now at 60 days.

On our original bands:
3 Tough to Be a Bug
3 Safari
3 Jungle Pals

On dummy account:
2 Dinosaur (use rider swap)
2 Expedition Everest (use rider swap)
2 Expedition Everest (use rider swap...DD9 favorite ride)
3 Finding Nemo
3 Lion King

If I put the new bands on a new MDE account will it work for me to use our First + Middle names, so we can use that MDE for our next trip?

Thanks for reviewing this.

I'm sorry, I have read and re-read and find this somewhat confusing. Just to clarify, I have 12 extended family members that show up in my MDE account from a past trip we took together. I will see them before my family's August trip, if they loan me 5 of their magic bands I can use those for SDFP? Or it's a problem because they are in my account? Otherwise I am considering buying 5 bands because I really just want to cut down a lot of walking time in the heat. We don't do most of the really popular rides anyway, I just want to be able to ride attractions close together efficiently.

If I can use my family's bands I just take them to a kiosk and swipe one, then I can choose the five names of the bands that I am using? :dance3::confused3:faint:

Thank you.

I'm sorry, I have read and re-read and find this somewhat confusing. Just to clarify, I have 12 extended family members that show up in my MDE account from a past trip we took together. I will see them before my family's August trip, if they loan me 5 of their magic bands I can use those for SDFP? Or it's a problem because they are in my account? Otherwise I am considering buying 5 bands because I really just want to cut down a lot of walking time in the heat. We don't do most of the really popular rides anyway, I just want to be able to ride attractions close together efficiently.

If I can use my family's bands I just take them to a kiosk and swipe one, then I can choose the five names of the bands that I am using? :dance3::confused3:faint:

Thank you.

You do not have to buy additional bands, your family's bands should work. You will likely have to swipe all 5 magic bands to make SDFP.

The ethical question is subjective and potentially divisive, which is why we don't debate it here.

Which I always found odd considering the DIS is a haven for "spirited debates". Threads will spiral out of control with posters calling other posters bad parents and continue to stay up but bring up anything negative about phantom accounts for additional FPs and it gets squashed pretty quick. Just an observation.....

Will someone look over this and let me know if it will work...if so I think I have a handle on the system.

We are going during Christmas so I know things will be busy. We are a family of 4: me, DH, DD9, DS2, so we will get 3 FP+
I have purchased 4 additional magic bands and plan on adding 3 adult tickets and 1 child ticket for our next trip to work as fast past generators now at 60 days.

On our original bands:
3 Tough to Be a Bug
3 Safari
3 Jungle Pals

On dummy account:
2 Dinosaur (use rider swap)
2 Expedition Everest (use rider swap)
2 Expedition Everest (use rider swap...DD9 favorite ride)
3 Finding Nemo
3 Lion King

If I put the new bands on a new MDE account will it work for me to use our First + Middle names, so we can use that MDE for our next trip?

Thanks for reviewing this.

In your case, a second MDE isn't necessary. List the four phantoms on your main MDE. Name the phantoms after your favorite Disney characters. Assign the tickets for next year to those phantoms. As long as the tickets remain unused, you are allowed to reassign them. So after this trip is over, you could just reassign the tickets to the real profiles, and you'll be all set for next year.

You'll have 3 people with prebooked FP for three rides with your primary bands. But you have one more original or primary band, for DS2. You can use that band for SDFP at the kiosks - though that might be more trouble than it's worth, since you only have the one. Were you going to just give these a miss?

Then you have 4 guest bands for next year who each have a "GLFP" ticket. That means 4 additional sets of prebooked FP on the dummy or phantom profiles, which you've used for five rides for 4 people (since the baby still won't need FP next year). Looks good to me, unless there have been any changes to rider swap that I don't know about.

Quick question, Where are the kiosks in AK and DHS for SDFP?

I'm sure you know that they're all FP kiosks - and any of them can be used for SDFP. AK has had a great one right inside guest services by the park entrance - never a line. Though kiosks are sometimes not available for use. DHS had one in their guest services, but I think it's still gone. Check the park maps for the current locations when you get there.

In your case, a second MDE isn't necessary. List the four phantoms on your main MDE. Name the phantoms after your favorite Disney characters. Assign the tickets for next year to those phantoms. As long as the tickets remain unused, you are allowed to reassign them. So after this trip is over, you could just reassign the tickets to the real profiles, and you'll be all set for next year.

If the loophole was still open when we go in a few years. Would the bands be usable for SDFP since they are "different people" even though they would then be on the same MDE account? That was the only reason I was considering using different MDE accounts.

Also, can the names associated with magic bands be altered later. Like if we did add them as phantoms with our favorite Disney characters, could the band names later be changed to our actual names?

And one more...
If our current tickets are 9 day tickets and I only purchase 7 days tickets for the future...I'm assuming I will only be able to make 7 days of FP+ for that set...could I still use them to get SDFP for the other two days that we do not choose to get advanced FP+ reservations?

Last edited:
Which I always found odd considering the DIS is a haven for "spirited debates". Threads will spiral out of control with posters calling other posters bad parents and continue to stay up but bring up anything negative about phantom accounts for additional FPs and it gets squashed pretty quick. Just an observation.....
I think the issue is that the mods are trying to keep this thread strictly focused on the "how to" to help future folks without a bunch of digression. I think (but I could be wrong) if you started a separate thread debating the ethics (whether about SDFP, throwaway campsites, booking/cancelling RO rooms just to get free MB's, or anything else that might be an ethics issue) that it would be okay as a standalone thread.

It was last Tuesday which was the last time I was there. :)

I looked for the one at City Hall yesterday morning & could not find it. (That is where Tink & Mickey are correct?) I asked a CM and he told me that the closest one was Tomorrow Land

We used 4 MBs from our friends that went a couple years ago for SDFP and had no problem making FPs for them at the kiosks. On Thurs & Fri last week, I could easily change their times - but on Sat, Sun & Mon, I could see their times on MDE, but if I attempted to modify them then it told me there was an error and it would not let me change them from the App.

You do not have to buy additional bands, your family's bands should work. You will likely have to swipe all 5 magic bands to make SDFP.
You'll definitely have to swipe all 5 the first time. When you return to the kiosk (to make changes or book a 4th), they "should" all come up, but I have had issues with a name or two falling off the listing at the kiosk and having to swipe again to make it reappear (the FPP would still have existed but the person just wasn't coming up as attached at the kiosk).

I looked for the one at City Hall yesterday morning & could not find it. (That is where Tink & Mickey are correct?) I asked a CM and he told me that the closest one was Tomorrow Land

We used 4 MBs from our friends that went a couple years ago for SDFP and had no problem making FPs for them at the kiosks. On Thurs & Fri last week, I could easily change their times - but on Sat, Sun & Mon, I could see their times on MDE, but if I attempted to modify them then it told me there was an error and it would not let me change them from the App.
It's across from there on the other side (left as you enter the park), right before the restrooms (which were still closed as of Tuesday) and the Firehouse. Basically the Guest Relations building but there are two kiosks on the right as you come in. I think they sometimes shut them down now since the exit on the right going out to the bathrooms is closed off and if there's a long line people might be upset by you walking around them to get in and use them. Usually I've found them open in the morning but occasionally closed mid-afternoon. I'm hoping they're always open once the restrooms reopen.

If the loophole was still open when we go in a few years. Would the bands be usable for SDFP since they are "different people" even though they would then be on the same MDE account? That was the only reason I was considering using different MDE accounts.

Also, can the names associated with magic bands be altered later. Like if we did add them as phantoms with our favorite Disney characters, could the band names later be changed to our actual names?

And one more...
If our current tickets are 9 day tickets and I only purchase 7 days tickets for the future...I'm assuming I will only be able to make 7 days of FP+ for that set...could I still use them to get SDFP for the other two days that we do not choose to get advanced FP+ reservations?

Bands linked to different people are not clones of each other. So you could use the phantoms for SDFP.

You can change profile names later.

You would only get 7 days of FP ahead of time. But as you use up one day of FP, you can then book for an additional day. So after day 1 of the trip, you can book for day 8 of the trip. After day 2, you book for day 9. Less advantageous but possible would be booking SDFP for the last two days (which you can do if there are no prebooked FPs for that day).

Last edited:
Thank you, I'll just plan to borrow five bands. We may not even end up using them since it is supposed to be fairly low crowds, but I like having them just in case.

It's across from there on the other side (left as you enter the park), right before the restrooms (which were still closed as of Tuesday) and the Firehouse. Basically the Guest Relations building but there are two kiosks on the right as you come in. I think they sometimes shut them down now since the exit on the right going out to the bathrooms is closed off and if there's a long line people might be upset by you walking around them to get in and use them. Usually I've found them open in the morning but occasionally closed mid-afternoon. I'm hoping they're always open once the restrooms reopen.

Doh - I was on the wrong side! Bathrooms were still closed Monday btw

Was it just me who could not modify the sdfp- did I do something wrong? I should have been able to on the App right - or should I have gone in to Safari?

Most of the bigger attractions had sdfp availability - got Test Track Fri for 5:00ish, TSM 3ish Sunday, and could have gotten Btm or splash Min afternoon (Space early evening)

Plaza messed up my daughters hamburger and gave us 2 Paper FPs which we used to see the new Soarin' - which is Awesome too!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter