Scary Weekend at the Fort

...Im just getting my disney groove on - starting to plan another trip next October.

Ooh - does that mean another masterpiece?!?! We'll be there for Halloween next year. :yay:

I have pics of the pirate ship - was just thinking about it this week. So great :goodvibes

DSC_0360-2.jpg

Hi all,
Like many of you, I grew up staying at Fort Wilderness. My parents were big tent campers when I was a kid who, as they got older, graduated from the tents, to the pop-ups (does anyone even have these anymore?), and then into their final "camper", an Avion travel trailer.
I too miss the Mickey w/ Musket icon. In fact, I have a large FW banner, with him on it in full Davy Crockett regalia, hanging in our home office.

To get to my question, the wife and I have never stayed at FW (when at WDW, my wife prefers a nice resort), but I would really like to, for nostalgia reasons. I also would really like to see some of these decorations in person.

In the pictures there are kids trick-or-treating. My question is, do people trick-or-treat every night at FW during October? Or is it just on Halloween night, or certain nights of the week?

We'd feel bad if we were out living it up and weren't there to hand out candy to everyone.

Thanks!

you betcha! Im hoping not to get disqualified this time though! This time - I want the ribbon baby!

Ooh - does that mean another masterpiece?!?! We'll be there for Halloween next year. :yay:

I have pics of the pirate ship - was just thinking about it this week. So great :goodvibes

Whipperwhirl, guess I missed it. Why were you disqualified? (sorry to hear that.)

Hi all,
Like many of you, I grew up staying at Fort Wilderness. My parents were big tent campers when I was a kid who, as they got older, graduated from the tents, to the pop-ups (does anyone even have these anymore?), and then into their final "camper", an Avion travel trailer.
I too miss the Mickey w/ Musket icon. In fact, I have a large FW banner, with him on it in full Davy Crockett regalia, hanging in our home office.

To get to my question, the wife and I have never stayed at FW (when at WDW, my wife prefers a nice resort), but I would really like to, for nostalgia reasons. I also would really like to see some of these decorations in person.

In the pictures there are kids trick-or-treating. My question is, do people trick-or-treat every night at FW during October? Or is it just on Halloween night, or certain nights of the week?

We'd feel bad if we were out living it up and weren't there to hand out candy to everyone.

Thanks!

No, people do not TOT every night in Oct.,,,only on the last night of the month as they do everywhere.

but I gotta say, I like that idea !!:thumbsup2 OMG,,could you just imagine the cavities !!:lmao:

OK, We just got home today from the Fort and Holy ?!@#! I think there needs to be more beer and Kungaloosh drinking! and less critiquing.

Lets be a little more sensitive to the Flamingos. They are sensitive creatures and require TLC, a better PR guy, and sturdier legs. :rotfl:

As to the Halloween decorations; many were extremely creative with traditional types of scary, tombstone, murder, witch, creepy, dark themes.

Some were more about quantity than quality. Not going any further on that subject. :rolleyes1

I'm not a big fan of inflatables, but I see their use. Large Bang, Small Area. and portability.

Anyhoo, The coolest thing at the Fort (and the parks) was that on Nov. 1, Halloween was over and Christmas arrived!!! Really, it was amazing how quickly some of the Halloween decorations were removed and the new Christmas decorations took their place.

We joked that there is a revolving wheel underneath some of the campsites and when its time to change holidays you hit a switch, the flip happens, and a whole new crop of inflatables, lights, trees and music pops to the surface.

In closing, we love Ft. Wilderness and everything about it (except the lack of Fort things in the stores. Bad, Bad, Bad.).

Had a great time, going back next year. and the year after that, etc.

Jeanne

Wow! How did I miss THIS thread?

You have an awesome eye for photography. Keep 'em comin'! :thumbsup2

It’s a great mystery - the judging committee came by with a lovely pirate snow globe and told my husband that I was not eligible – that they had "no way to compare my site to the others" which I guess was supposed to be a compliment - but - It was a really sad day for us. If I had been there at the time I would have asked for more details but my husband didn’t ask – he just accepted the snow globe. It's lovely – we keep it in our bathroom - above the toilet - and if you think Im kidding - Ill put up photographic proof :lmao:

Whipperwhirl, guess I missed it. Why were you disqualified? (sorry to hear that.)

It’s a great mystery - the judging committee came by with a lovely pirate snow globe and told my husband that I was not eligible – that they had "no way to compare my site to the others" which I guess was supposed to be a compliment - but - It was a really sad day for us. If I had been there at the time I would have asked for more details but my husband didn’t ask – he just accepted the snow globe. It's lovely – we keep it in our bathroom - above the toilet - and if you think Im kidding - Ill put up photographic proof :lmao:

Ummmm, I may be wrong, but I think she was DQ'd because her site tried to eat people!!! :lmao:

IMG_2368.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter