Rumors that Disney is in negotiations to sell Star Wars back to George Lucas!

Greta Gerwig made the following comment in a New York Times interview: "...my brother and his sons and his wife all went in Sacramento and sent a picture, then they sent a text saying their oldest son was going back the next day with his friends. These 15- or 16-year-old boys from Sacramento are sending me texts saying, 'It was great! We loved the Porsche joke!' Those are the things that feel so amazing. I’ve never quite had anything like this."

Are "Barbie" theaters filled with teenage boys? Of course not. But from all reports Gerwig has clearly made a film that appeals to a much wider audience than one might have expected from a movie about a child's toy, and one aimed primarily at girls.
Exactly. There is nothing wrong with entertainment knowing its audience, but you cannot make an extremely successful movie if you only make it for one particular demographic. People joke about teenage girls going to see Titanic multiple times, but there's a reason that movie made so much money - EVERYONE saw it. Same with the original Star Wars (and Phantom Menace and Force Awakens), Avatar, Infinity War and Endgame. Black Panther was wildly successful because it attracted the regular MCU viewers as well audiences who never saw a Marvel movie before.

I honestly don't think Star Wars will experience that type of viewership with movies anymore. I think The Mandalorian reached it because of it being the first Disney + show and about a totally new character, but the shows are starting to suffer the same as the movies - there's too much content and it turns off "regular" viewers. (The MCU seems to be going the same way.)

Exactly. There is nothing wrong with entertainment knowing its audience, but you cannot make an extremely successful movie if you only make it for one particular demographic. People joke about teenage girls going to see Titanic multiple times, but there's a reason that movie made so much money - EVERYONE saw it. Same with the original Star Wars (and Phantom Menace and Force Awakens), Avatar, Infinity War and Endgame. Black Panther was wildly successful because it attracted the regular MCU viewers as well audiences who never saw a Marvel movie before.

I honestly don't think Star Wars will experience that type of viewership with movies anymore. I think The Mandalorian reached it because of it being the first Disney + show and about a totally new character, but the shows are starting to suffer the same as the movies - there's too much content and it turns off "regular" viewers. (The MCU seems to be going the same way.)
I disagree somewhat. I think there is still a ton of people that really want great Star Wars content. If you can turn it around and make Star Wars content that please the majority of the fan base (yes I am optimistic that this can still occur)

People do not want to hate Star Wars. All these YouTube channels that some people love to rag on on here, all have certain parts of Disney Star Wars they love and praise. People ultimately want good Star Wars, I believe.

I believe you and I want the same thing which is Star Wars content we love. Where we sometimes disagree is on what we consider good in our opinions, but I completely believe we want the same thing.

I do agree with you that knowing your audience is a very smart thing. Barbies marketing ($150M) was expertly done and I applaud how well they marketed that movie primarily to its target demographic. Of course some boys will go and of course some husbands, male friends, and significant others will go. What the did expertly in my opinion is to market it perfectly to its core audience. Brilliant!

Last edited:
Another quote from the same article:

"The most disappointing trend I've come across recently is how audience demand for Andor is overwhelmingly lower than The Mandalorian S1-2, The Book of Boba Fett and Obi-Wan Kenobi despite the fact that it is easily the best Star Wars series BY FAR."

I never said Andor was not good, I said it had low viewership.
I love that you refer to an article that is outdated, it was from mid season in Oct of 2022... mine was from Jan 2023 when it was over and has totally different numbers . But go ahead, keep on referring to it....

I think a lot of franchises have already passed the point of hitting their peak and aren't going to see the same returns going forward. Star Wars, Star Trek, the MCU, Potterverse, DC, Fast & the Furious. I think each already had the ultimate culmination of their franchise and it's not going to be easy to replicate that again. The MCU is certainly showing that. It will take a massive creative approach to generate the same interest in those franchises that doesn't feel derivative of those previous high points. I feel the best we can hope for are fun movies and series that try something different like Andor. And that's okay with me. I think Barbie has shown that if you have a great story and a unique take on a character, it can be off handsomely. Same with Mario and Spiderman/Spiderverse.

Greta Gerwig made the following comment in a New York Times interview: "...my brother and his sons and his wife all went in Sacramento and sent a picture, then they sent a text saying their oldest son was going back the next day with his friends. These 15- or 16-year-old boys from Sacramento are sending me texts saying, 'It was great! We loved the Porsche joke!' Those are the things that feel so amazing. I’ve never quite had anything like this."

Are "Barbie" theaters filled with teenage boys? Of course not. But from all reports Gerwig has clearly made a film that appeals to a much wider audience than one might have expected from a movie about a child's toy, and one aimed primarily at girls.
My teen DGS is going to see it this week. He saw Oppenheimer already and really liked that.

I think a lot of franchises have already passed the point of hitting their peak and aren't going to see the same returns going forward. Star Wars, Star Trek, the MCU, Potterverse, DC, Fast & the Furious. I think each already had the ultimate culmination of their franchise and it's not going to be easy to replicate that again. The MCU is certainly showing that. It will take a massive creative approach to generate the same interest in those franchises that doesn't feel derivative of those previous high points. I feel the best we can hope for are fun movies and series that try something different like Andor. And that's okay with me. I think Barbie has shown that if you have a great story and a unique take on a character, it can be off handsomely. Same with Mario and Spiderman/Spiderverse.
And honestly, as much as I've enjoyed the first three phases of the MCU, I think they should have quit after Endgame. There was really no topping that.

Or at least do a soft reboot and bring in the Fox characters.

I do get worried when a series as good as Andor may not have been as popular/widely watched, because Disney is all about making money, selling Baby Yoda merchandise. I sure hope they won't cut corners with production on the second season, or not have a second season! that would be terrible.

It does happen a lot though. I'm still waiting on a sequel to Master and Commander. Far Side of the World....that movie was supposed to launch a series, but it underperformed so badly, the rest were scrapped. That would've made an excellent series of movies. WIsh they'd at least adapt it for tv

I do get worried when a series as good as Andor may not have been as popular/widely watched, because Disney is all about making money, selling Baby Yoda merchandise. I sure hope they won't cut corners with production on the second season, or not have a second season! that would be terrible.
They were filming Season 2 up until the SAG-AFTRA strike, and they only plan for two seasons total.

Dang just finished Secret Invasion. Good enough and all, but I can tell will never watch a minute of it again. Oh well on to the next try eventually.

I was disappointed in the finale. Like most Marvel shows it dropped the ball, and was good up until then. It was close too, but it just didn't close the deal.

Last edited:
I was disappointed in the finale. Liek most Marvel shows it dropped the ball, and was good up until then. It was close too, but it just didn't close the deal.
We’ve watched all eps except the finale and thought it was fine, but I’ve been reading so many negative reviews about the finale that maybe we’ll skip it!

We’ve watched all eps except the finale and thought it was fine, but I’ve been reading so many negative reviews about the finale that maybe we’ll skip it!

I mean, it's okay and probably worth the watch if you're invested...but it just lacks something. It also tries to set up for more, but there is no indication of where that more is supposed to materialize.

Last edited:
I mean, it's okay and probably worth teh watch if you're invested...but it just lacks something. It also tries to set up for more, but there is no indication of where that more is supposed to materialize.
I’m sure we’ll get around to it, but it’s one of those meh shows to us. As in, if it was pulled right now and we didn’t get to the last episode, I don't think I’d give it a second thought.

Agreed, there is no topping that.
The movies that have come out since Endgame were never expected to top it. I think a lot of people have forgotten that not all of the individual movies in the early phases were that great or wildly successful, either (Iron Man 2, Thor: The Dark World...).

The movies that have come out since Endgame were never expected to top it. I think a lot of people have forgotten that not all of the individual movies in the early phases were that great or wildly successful, either (Iron Man 2, Thor: The Dark World...).
Yep, I agree with that. They were resetting and never attempted to compete with End Game.

I personally don’t think End Game was that incredible of a movie, but just the culmination of tons of movies and hours spent invested in the MCU.

MargotRobbie.jpg

Yeah, that right there will sell a ticket or two. Hot blondes showing the goodies is a winner. Who knew? I wonder if that will catch on in marketing. LOL

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter