Rumors that Disney is in negotiations to sell Star Wars back to George Lucas!

Sure, that's a valid point. But my question is why? You have a built in demographic of long time Star Wars fans that buy the movies, games, and action figures..........why would you not at least want to keep your built-in fan base around?

Well, they do want to keep them, but they also want new fans. It is impossible to please absolutely everybody. Lots of that built-in fanbase is still around and still loves Star Wars.

Yeah I remember how unanimously despised those movies were at the time. They were parodied and mocked to death. I also find it very weird that people love them now but that's just from an outside perspective (not a Star Wars fan). I just remember them being HATED and touted as the worst Star Wars media ever made before Disney even came into the conversation.
But doesn't that happen often with some films? Shawshank Redemption was a big flop at the box office that went on to huge success after the box office. I have probably seen that movie 30 times.

Well, they do want to keep them, but they also want new fans. It is impossible to please absolutely everybody. Lots of that built-in fanbase is still around and still loves Star Wars.

Barbie didn't please everyone; it primarily pleased its core intended fan base. The barbie director made no attempt whatsoever to make a movie that I would want to see. I didn't matter though; I wasn't her intended Barbie fan.

Barbie didn't please everyone; it primarily pleased its core intended fan base. The barbie director made no attempt whatsoever to make a movie that I would want to see.

But, again, even within the fanbase they picked a certian segment to target. Like you said, it isn't really for current Barbie doll fans. I'm not even being critical of that, but you are lauding it when it's exactly the same as what Star Wars or any franchise does.

But, again, even within the fanbase they picked a certian segment to target. Like you said, it isn't really for current Barbie doll fans. I'm not even being critical of that, but you are lauding it when it's exactly the same as what Star Wars or any franchise does.
But they were super smart to pick the largest section of the existing Barbie fan base right? Also happens to be the ones with some expendable income to go out and spend money on movies and Barbie stuff as well. How much merchandise and new doll sales will this movie drive to 40+ year old women right now? Pretty darn brilliant right?

Sure, that's a valid point. But my question is why? You have a built in demographic of long time Star Wars fans that buy the movies, games, and action figures..........why would you not at least want to keep your built-in fan base around?
But which "built-in demographic of long-time Star Wars fans"? As Nancipants said, "there's a billion different parts of the Star Wars fanbase." What's going to interest one part often won't interest another.

Of course there's some overlap. For example, I saw the original trilogy when it first came out and loved it, yet I think Galaxy's Edge is delightful and don't bemoan the fact that it's based on later SW stories as some people have complained about. And I thought "Andor" was an excellent series even though I'd never seen any of those characters before. So fans aren't in absolute silos. But neither is there a monolithic group of SW fans that even the most brilliant writers and directors can please all of.

But they were super smart to pick the largest section of the Barbie fan base right? Also happens to be the ones with some expendable income to go out and spend money on Barbie stuff as well. How much merchandise and new doll sales will this movie drive to 40+ year old women right now? Pretty darn brilliant right?

And they didn't pick the largest section of the Star Wars fanbase? The ones who don't hyper-analyze everything? The ones who don't expect it to be frozen in time in 1980? The ones who don't mind if a female character takes the lead?

Oh, wait, they did.

Wanted to add that my friend group is a fairly equal number of men and women and we all had a great time watching Barbie last night. Kenough shirts are very wanted.
That's great and nice to hear it. However, the audience for this movie has been 70+% female based on the data I have seen.

Get off your 40-60 year old Male Caucasian stereotype and go see a movie if you're going to use it as an example of everything you want to talk about. As a 42 year old white guy, I really enjoyed the Barbie movie. Get with the current day and time and open up to new experiences/views of the world. You'd be surprised what you might enjoy if you just go to experience it.

Get off your 40-60 year old Male Caucasian stereotype and go see a movie if you're going to use it as an example of everything you want to talk about. As a 42 year old white guy, I really enjoyed the Barbie movie. Get with the current day and time and open up to new experiences/views of the world. You'd be surprised what you might enjoy if you just go to experience it.
Maybe he has more time and ability to read articles or watch you tube videos and comment on discussion boards than he does to go see every film that comes around.

Maybe he has more time and ability to read articles or watch you tube videos and comment on discussion boards than he does to go see every film that comes around.
Ppl shouldn't actively discuss movies (or anything really) they haven't seen since they can't actually form their own opinion until they do. Otherwise they are just parroting articles and youtubers.

As a 42 year old white guy, I really enjoyed the Barbie movie. Get with the current day and time and open up to new experiences/views of the world. You'd be surprised what you might enjoy if you just go to experience it.
Greta Gerwig made the following comment in a New York Times interview: "...my brother and his sons and his wife all went in Sacramento and sent a picture, then they sent a text saying their oldest son was going back the next day with his friends. These 15- or 16-year-old boys from Sacramento are sending me texts saying, 'It was great! We loved the Porsche joke!' Those are the things that feel so amazing. I’ve never quite had anything like this."

Are "Barbie" theaters filled with teenage boys? Of course not. But from all reports Gerwig has clearly made a film that appeals to a much wider audience than one might have expected from a movie about a child's toy, and one aimed primarily at girls.

Ppl shouldn't actively discuss movies (or anything really) they haven't seen since they can't actually form their own opinion until they do. Otherwise they are just parroting articles and youtubers.
I don’t see anything wrong with mentioning what you’ve read or heard about a movie when talking about movies in general.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter