Riviera Resort Questions...<sorry if there's a thread on it already>

Not sure if anyone saw this in the news, but this is a possibility with the new gondolas. Makes my recent 1.5 hours waiting at the MK monorail station seem like nothing. So be careful on how great you think these new gondolas are going to be. Granted this is a once off for this type of rescue for Sea World, but if you ski, think of how many times the chairlift or gondolas have to stop for some unknown reason. I've seen a few chairlift rescues during my 40 years of skiing, not a lot, but it also wouldn't be fun when there are hundreds of people sitting in the cabs of these gondolas waiting for a rescue.

https://www.10news.com/news/local-n...e-firefighter-details-seaworld-gondola-rescue

Not sure if anyone saw this in the news, but this is a possibility with the new gondolas. Makes my recent 1.5 hours waiting at the MK monorail station seem like nothing. So be careful on how great you think these new gondolas are going to be. Granted this is a once off for this type of rescue for Sea World, but if you ski, think of how many times the chairlift or gondolas have to stop for some unknown reason. I've seen a few chairlift rescues during my 40 years of skiing, not a lot, but it also wouldn't be fun when there are hundreds of people sitting in the cabs of these gondolas waiting for a rescue.

https://www.10news.com/news/local-n...e-firefighter-details-seaworld-gondola-rescue

Well, they rarely stop for unknown reasons. It's usually because someone has crashed or been late either getting out to load or offload. Complications of skis and snowboards. And in many cases they can be operated to offload albeit at a slower speed than normal so it would take some time.

Does anyone know if there will be anywhere to run outside at Riviera. We disliked AKL because the gyms were full, and the only place to run outside was literally around the car park. Will you be able to get all the way around the lake at Riviera and run around Caribbean Beach?

Does anyone know if there will be anywhere to run outside at Riviera. We disliked AKL because the gyms were full, and the only place to run outside was literally around the car park. Will you be able to get all the way around the lake at Riviera and run around Caribbean Beach?
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...-amenities-coming-for-disneys-riviera-resort/

This post by Disney says there is a promenade to stroll along. Also I’m assuming that paths will connect to CBR to allow running. Based on the Skyliner station setup.

We were there last week and I drove around CBR and hopped out to look at the Skyliner and the resort. Up at the Aruba section I think the walkway to the Skyliner will connect right into CBR. So you could come from Riviera, around the Skyliner station and into CBR which looks to have great paths for running. I’m also betting the path from Martinique on the east side of CBR will connect along the north edge of the lake (Promenade) to allow walking to the Skyliner from that side of CBR. So really, I think you may have a great setup to run from Riviera.

When they tear down CBR to build the second and third phases of Riviera, you'll have lots of running space.
I believe CBR will be connected to Riviera so this hypothetical build out won’t matter to answering the question I replied to. Since the paths are available currently.

When they tear down CBR to build the second and third phases of Riviera, you'll have lots of running space.
I doubt we'll see that anytime soon, if ever. Tearing down an existing resort to simply replace it is expensive. And Disney does seem to be lacking Moderate class rooms. No moderate has been built in ages (with the exception of the tower at Coronado Springs) It will also depend on how well the Riviera is received. Will it sell well? Will those small 2 person studios be an asset or a detriment? If there is a demand for them, some of the closest existing Caribbean Resort buildings to the Riviera could be converted to small studios much cheaper and easier than new construction.

If the Tower Studios are HOT HOT HOT tear down the Contemporary and build KAPUSERU HOTERU, A Disney Capsule Hotel!

Now that booking is available for December, I looked at the cost of rooms at Riviera and compared them to similar rooms at BLT and VGF. It appears that they are having Riviera be a step above BLT but below VGF. For the same nights in December, the 1 BRs at BLT are $945 & $968 for Standard and Lake; the 1 BRs at Riviera are $984 & $1079; and the 1BRs at VGF are $1107 & $1220. It is still my opinion that being on the monorail loop with MK and numerous signature restaurants at VGF, Poly, and The Contemporary is the prime location for WDW. Further, I believe the attempted point structure change was because of the premium they are putting on Riviera.

Last edited:
While we know the following numbers (based on the maximum reallocation language in the POS) for an indication of what the nightly point costs might be
  • Tower Studio: 15 points
  • Deluxe Studio, Standard View: 20 points (BLT Lake = 20 points)
  • Deluxe Studio, Preferred View: 24 points (BLT TP = 24 points)
  • One Bedroom, Standard View: 40 points (BLT Lake = 40 points)
  • One Bedroom, Preferred View: 47 points (BLT TP = 47 points)
  • Two Bedroom, Standard View: 54 points (BLT Lake = 51 points)
  • Two Bedroom, Preferred View: 65 points (BLT TP = 62 points)
  • Grand Villa: 134 points (BLT Lake = 109 points, BLT TP = 132 points)
As I was informed during my calls with Yvonne, these were indicative of the nightly point costs for the initial years point charts (when she said they applied in the first year only). Taking this information with a grain of salt it appears that Standard = Lake & Preferred = Theme Park Views for BLT. Based on 2020/2019 point charts I put in red next to each the average nightly point cost for BLT (Lake and Theme Park). So if (and that is a strong if) we take these numbers provided for Riviera as what the average point cost will be in the first year we are likely to see something similar to BLT.

For some indication Poly Studios have maximum reallocation values of 22 points and 26 points for standard and lake view. To be clear again though I was informed these numbers only are to be applicable for the first year's point charts (as for those that followed the 2020 point chart thread might be aware of). For reference for the Tower Studios that is the same number declared in the POS for BWV standard view studios.

Last edited:
While we know the following numbers (based on the maximum reallocation language in the POS) for an indication of what the nightly point costs might be
  • Tower Studio: 15 points
  • Deluxe Studio, Standard View: 20 points (BLT Lake = 20 points)
  • Deluxe Studio, Preferred View: 24 points (BLT TP = 24 points)
  • One Bedroom, Standard View: 40 points (BLT Lake = 40 points)
  • One Bedroom, Preferred View: 47 points (BLT TP = 47 points)
  • Two Bedroom, Standard View: 54 points (BLT Lake = 51 points)
  • Two Bedroom, Preferred View: 65 points (BLT TP = 62 points)
  • Grand Villa: 134 points (BLT Lake = 109 points, BLT TP = 132 points)

So much for that moderate DVC resort :)

The Tower studios have the same maximum reallocation points (15) as the BWV standard studios, otherwise in relation to BWV, the nearest resort to Riviera both in location and number and type of rooms (including having both standard and preferred view), the maximum reallocation point comparisons indicate that Riviera rooms will be about 30%+ more points on average per night than the BWV rooms:

Standard Studio: BWV 15 Riv 20

Preferred Studio: BWV 18 Riv 24

Standard 1BR: BWV 30 Riv 40

Preferred 1BR: BWV 36 Riv 47

Standard 2BR: BWV 40 Riv 54

Preferred 2BR: BWV 46 Riv 65

Grand Villa: BWV 100 Riv 134

That means the only “bargain” rooms at Riviera are going to be the Tower Studios. There will be 24 of those, and most likely, after sales have occurred for long enough to start showing real reservation patterns, those studios will be booked with the same speed as AKV value studios (of which there are 18), meaning many will often lose out even at 11 months out. I can see a future of Riviera resale purchasers now who buy 50 to 100 point contracts, and then discover that they cannot reserve the Tower Studios that they thought they were buying the points for.

Last edited:
That means the only “bargain” rooms at Riviera are going to be the Tower Studios. There will be 24 of those, and most likely, after sales have occurred for long enough to start showing real reservation patterns, those studios will be booked with the same speed as AKV value studios (of which there are 18), meaning many will often lose out even at 11 months out. I can see a future of Riviera resale purchasers now who buy 50 to 100 point contracts, and then discover that they cannot reserve the Tower Studios that they thought they were buying the points for.

Also, anyone buying should be aware that the DVC interpretation of the POS is to allow that, after the resort will be sold out, the Tower studios may be increased and some other rooms decreased. Buying Riviera for the Tower Studio requires a lot of faith in Disney or being oblivious of the reality.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter