Riviera Resort Questions...<sorry if there's a thread on it already>

ErinsMommy

She believed she could, so she did
Is DVC open for this resort yet?
What is the general consensus on it?
Will it be in the deluxe or moderate category?
Walkable to any of the parks?

Is DVC open for this resort yet?
What is the general consensus on it?
Will it be in the deluxe or moderate category?
Walkable to any of the parks?
Not open for point reservations yet, but cash is open starting 12/16 forward

The general consensus spans from no theme to looking classy. But the general thing agreed upon are the resale restriction issues and how they will play out.

Deluxe, just built on the property of where moderate rooms used to exist. However, all DVC resorts are technically Deluxe. Also I would consider it similar to how OKW and SSR are near Port Orleans, but those are still Deluxe. Though OKW and SSR have a bit more nature buffer there.

Not walkable to any resorts. Similar to many of the other DVC resorts (CCV, BRV, VGF, PVB, AKV and SSR, OKW, if not considering Disney Springs). However it will have Bus and Skyliner transportation.

Personally I feel that Disney is removing the spread between their Deluxe and Moderate resorts in terms of quality of accommodations lately.

There are other posts about this. I would use the search feature to find all those regarding Riviera, there doesn't seem to be 1 single thread.

Agree with crvetter on all points. Two points, in particular, I'd like to comment on. I'm solidly on the very little to no theming side of the fence. Sure, it has neat, modern lines, but nothing speaks of Disney, at least based on what little we've seen. Certainly, the pictures of the rooms have shown Disney's continued slide toward "industry standard." Second, I second the opinion that the margin of difference between deluxe and moderate is shrinking. WL, with its two DVC resorts, is a good case in point. While the new Copper Creek rooms are nice, they're smallish appointed with a few nice touches and a few more bland ones. Yes, the cabins are gorgeous and certainly of deluxe standards, but that's only part of the resort. With the refurbishment of RF, we felt the food quality dropped. With the introduction of the new character dining at AP, there is no longer a Signature on property. VWL is my home resort, and I do love it there, but it's almost straddling the line between moderate and deluxe.

And when you look at what points are (likely) to cost, and (likely) points per night: It's Deluxe. Don't kid yourself this will be cheap.

I expect points bookings at Riviera will be available shortly.
Disney always does a great job with their resorts and there's no reason to think Riviera will be any different.
It will definitely be deluxe, probably a degree or two more deluxe than most of the current resorts.
Walking to parks won't be an option, but the Skyliner will transport folks to Epcot and DHS at least as quickly, if not faster, than walking from the current Epcot resorts.

People like different things and some just won't care for Riviera, but I'm of the opinion that most will welcome it to the DVC resort family.

I would think it is very deluxe with the roof top dining and other amenities. We have no desire to stay there. I'll save my points since I'm a point miser.

I expect points bookings at Riviera will be available shortly.
Disney always does a great job with their resorts and there's no reason to think Riviera will be any different.
It will definitely be deluxe, probably a degree or two more deluxe than most of the current resorts.
Walking to parks won't be an option, but the Skyliner will transport folks to Epcot and DHS at least as quickly, if not faster, than walking from the current Epcot resorts.

People like different things and some just won't care for Riviera, but I'm of the opinion that most will welcome it to the DVC resort family.
Interested to see the point charts! Disappointed that it is available for public bookings, but not point bookings.

Interested to see the point charts! Disappointed that it is available for public bookings, but not point bookings.
To be fair to all DVC members. Not one person owns there yet and if it opens in December, May would be the earliest date someone could book, unless they start selling points before then. I personally think that as soon as they know what they are building they should post point charts, so people can prepare how many points they need

Agree it will be a deluxe, and the Skyliner will be a bonus. But, what happens when a storm pops up as they so often do in the summer?

Agree it will be a deluxe, and the Skyliner will be a bonus. But, what happens when a storm pops up as they so often do in the summer?
These are designed withstand major wind (up to 35 mph, which I suspect is a human comfort cutoff where people get sick but not where it technically is dangerous). Also the skyliner is electrically grounded so if struck by lightning is should be fine and not a large risk of the system stopping. Also the people will be safe because they will be inside a Faraday cage, making them safe from any stikes. Follow the link in the post for what the manufacturer has stated.

https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...updated-2-8-19.3578988/page-264#post-60264549

It's still possible they will open the resort to DVC Members ahead of the 12/16 date for the general public. Once they get everything filed & announced and sales begin, we'll know what the point charts, opening date for DVC & booking rules will be. The first booking periods for new resorts have not been the traditional 11 & 7 windows. I expect there will be some period of time for just the direct purchasers to reserve before non-home resort owners can book (since the resort will open for stays well after the 11 month window for that time would normally have opened). But Riviera direct purchasers will undoubtedly have at least some priority period (and if necessary, the guides can get "unavailable" reservations for them by dipping into the Developer's inventory).

Is there a Riviera Resort model room available for touring?
Pretty sure they are built but not ready to be toured (not legally ready to be sold). I’m basing this on the fact the room pictures state it’s a model for the studio and 1 bedroom photos. While the tower studios say it’s an artistic representation.

Last edited:
Resale restrictions have killed my interest in this resort. With availability I will stay there.. one day.

Agree. No way will I ever buy this resort Direct. And if I won't buy it then many other people will also not buy Direct. Will Disney pick up enough 'New Buyers' (people who otherwise would NOT have bought Direct, but now will) by making it exclusive? Is the exclusivity a big enough benefit to overcome the restrictions? I tend to think not, because you will have the problem of decreased value when you sell, and not everyone is stupid enough to ignore that. BESIDES, I'm not sure that I see how EXCLUSIVITY is going to help me, as an owner, to be happier with my purchase. What does it really get me? But then, maybe it will be like Beach Club and defy gravity. If so, then you can thank the Skyliner. But I doubt that would happen. And, it is kind of funny, since I WAS going to buy Direct (I now have $24,000 set aside AND I was going to put that as a down payment on a financed contract.) But now I won't buy Direct. Am I the only person in this situation? So, they have chased me off from Direct, and turned me into a Resale buyer. If the Resale price is low enough, I will DEFINITELY buy. Was this the intention of Disney when they made the restrictions?

I will be interested in checking it out, a day or two.:goodvibes

Yes, I am hoping it will open in time for Food and Wine, and I will be able to get my request in before everyone else books it out.

Disney knows where Disney World is. They have half a century of dealing with the weather. They know it is hot in summer. And that there is lightning. And that some storms bring a pretty good wind component. They even know that once in a while, the hurricanes also want to visit Disney World. So, I am sure they took ALL of that into account. You need to realize that Disney is NOT just building more transportation. It is building THE transportation system of the future. If any of those things was going to be a significant problem, and they couldn't design or build around it, then they would NOT have chosen this.

Agree. No way will I ever buy this resort Direct. And if I won't buy it then many other people will also not buy Direct. Will Disney pick up enough 'New Buyers' (people who otherwise would NOT have bought Direct, but now will) by making it exclusive? Is the exclusivity a big enough benefit to overcome the restrictions? I tend to think not, because you will have the problem of decreased value when you sell, and not everyone is stupid enough to ignore that. BESIDES, I'm not sure that I see how EXCLUSIVITY is going to help me, as an owner, to be happier with my purchase. What does it really get me? But then, maybe it will be like Beach Club and defy gravity. If so, then you can thank the Skyliner. But I doubt that would happen. And, it is kind of funny, since I WAS going to buy Direct (I now have $24,000 set aside AND I was going to put that as a down payment on a financed contract.) But now I won't buy Direct. Am I the only person in this situation? So, they have chased me off from Direct, and turned me into a Resale buyer. If the Resale price is low enough, I will DEFINITELY buy. Was this the intention of Disney when they made the restrictions?

I'm in a similar position. I bought 250 CCV points knowing I needed a few more to appease my yearly appetite. I had decided to hold off on a further purchase awaiting Riviera (and better understanding future booking issues at CCV). Now armed with the cash, I don't have any direct resort to spend the money on. I too am looking at resale, however contract length is important to me. Perhaps if the sales are slow at Riviera, the restrictions will be removed? Surely interested buyers have an exit strategy and do some research prior to signing on the bottom line..

If you don’t mind me asking, because I’m trying to wrap my head around the restrictions anyways - with all the restrictions on Riviera for resale people, not being able to book at other resorts, etc, wouldn’t it be better to buy direct? Or do I have it all backwards? I thought if you buy Riviera direct you have all the benefits and it’s the resale market they are trying to curb? Again, I could be way off so pardon my ignorance! :scared:

Last edited by a moderator:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!