• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Response from FTA about new bus loading procedures.

Just because it can be folded, the wheelabrator or whatever it is called should not be in front of your knees say against the next seatback. It should be one one side of you, in the aisle or in the next seat. Also not where it can be accidentally stepped on.

No offence, but you say that like I actually had a choice about where it would go. There was literally nowhere I could store it safely because the areas where it should have been put were taken up with people who refused to move. The only place on Disney buses it will fit without being tripped over is next to the handicapped seating which I already mentioned was occupied. Unless I'm holding onto it, it has to be strapped to the wall, otherwise it will fall on someone and injure them. I can't just fold it up and leave it somewhere.

Also, I can't multi-quote so I can't directly respond to the person who mentioned something about non-apparent disabilities but I will say this: there are multiple handicapped seats. Most of the seats were taken up with families with small children. I'm one person. It's highly doubtful every person in the family had a non-apparent disability, all they would have had to do was given up one seat, either by moving to another seat on the bus or putting a child in an adult's lap--even just so I could put the rollator over there instead of on top of me. Almost every time they refused.

I was not saying that anyone in your decription had a disability, it was just a statment about the applicability of the rules to the broader disability community.

bookwormde

I know you aren't. I'm just frustrated at how rude people were the last time I was there. I've never experienced that kind of hostility in all my previous trips to WDW. It was a mess.

I have seen both extremes form guest at WDW and everything in the middle. I do what I can to set a good example and have been known to look at others with that inquisituve (not the mean type) look of was that really so hard to do, and have actually been amazed at how often young people after seeing the example offer others their seats.

bookwormde

Also, I can't multi-quote so I can't directly respond to the person who mentioned something about non-apparent disabilities but I will say this: there are multiple handicapped seats. Most of the seats were taken up with families with small children. I'm one person. It's highly doubtful every person in the family had a non-apparent disability, all they would have had to do was given up one seat, either by moving to another seat on the bus or putting a child in an adult's lap--even just so I could put the rollator over there instead of on top of me. Almost every time they refused.

I am the one who mentioned that not all disabilities are visable. I am sorry people on the bus did not do what you wanted them to. Opinions aside, it sounds like legally those people in the seats did not do anything wrong.

Yes, it would have been nice if they had moved, but in that situation I would have waited for the next bus. At the end of the day I don't want my safety or that of my child dependant on the kindness of strangers.

Sadly we can't force people to do what we think is the "right" thing.

I do hope you were able to enjoy the rest of your trip.

I am the one who mentioned that not all disabilities are visable. I am sorry people on the bus did not do what you wanted them to. Opinions aside, it sounds like legally those people in the seats did not do anything wrong.

Yes, it would have been nice if they had moved, but in that situation I would have waited for the next bus. At the end of the day I don't want my safety or that of my child dependant on the kindness of strangers.

Sadly we can't force people to do what we think is the "right" thing.

I do hope you were able to enjoy the rest of your trip.

Legally? Maybe not. Morally? That's debatable. Since there were plenty of open seats they could have moved to toward the front of the bus (I know, because that's where I was forced to sit, with the rollator crushed on top of me), it wouldn't have impinged upon their "safety" whatsoever. No, they just didn't want to be inconvenienced by getting up. You can play devil's advocate all you want, but the fact of the matter is they were inconsiderate and caused myself physical discomfort because of it, and delayed the rest of the people boarding the bus behind me because it took me some time to try to turn around when they refused to move.

I'm sorry but I don't feel it is unreasonable for me to expect that I should be able to sit in the handicapped accessible seats on the buses, particularly when there are signs posted above the seats which state verbatim that "priority seating" for those is given to passengers with disabilities. There is no reason why I should have to wait for the next bus when there are plenty of other available seats, just because I can't strap my mobility device to the wall. In almost every case, literally all the people would have had to have done was go across the aisle, step up to the seats in the back of the bus, or have one person move down one seat. I refuse to take the blame for their rudeness.

Legally? Maybe not. Morally? That's debatable. Since there were plenty of open seats they could have moved to toward the front of the bus (I know, because that's where I was forced to sit, with the rollator crushed on top of me), it wouldn't have impinged upon their "safety" whatsoever. No, they just didn't want to be inconvenienced by getting up. You can play devil's advocate all you want, but the fact of the matter is they were inconsiderate and caused myself physical discomfort because of it, and delayed the rest of the people boarding the bus behind me because it took me some time to try to turn around when they refused to move.

I'm sorry but I don't feel it is unreasonable for me to expect that I should be able to sit in the handicapped accessible seats on the buses, particularly when there are signs posted above the seats which state verbatim that "priority seating" for those is given to passengers with disabilities. There is no reason why I should have to wait for the next bus when there are plenty of other available seats, just because I can't strap my mobility device to the wall. In almost every case, literally all the people would have had to have done was go across the aisle, step up to the seats in the back of the bus, or have one person move down one seat. I refuse to take the blame for their rudeness.

I am not playing devil's advocate. Like I said I am sorry people did not do what you wanted them to. You saw them as rude. You can feel any way you want. Not everyone sees things the same way. Me personally (as stated previously), if I don't have a seat that works for me and my family, I wait for the next bus.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter