• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Response from FTA about new bus loading procedures.

Jrsmom, I asked a similar question about the logistics of a wheelchair for one kid and a special needs stroller for another, and was told we'd probably have to fold the stroller anyway. What about renting a wheelchair and eliminating the possibility? We're also staying on the monorail to eliminate some of the buses. After one of my kiddos had a huge meltdown in the middle of one of the buses on the way back from the fireworks one night, I figure it's just easier all the way around.

The single bus line for everybody may have come about because of too many complaints that a large family would all board by the back door.

Only enough family members to assist with loading should be at the back door, everyone else able to go through the regular line should be in the regular line.

Complaints about wheelchair guests unable to get on the first bus and the second bus unable to take them because of double loading should go to Disney Transport, not the resort. A double loading bus may not count towards the resort's contractual quota (if such a quota exists) if it leaves with fewer wheelchairs than the spaces it has and also leaves wheelchair guests on the platform.

Jrsmom they make strollers that can be used as wheelchairs and if thy have tie down point then you can use it on the bus as a wheel chAir and she can stay in. Second it is federal law that you must give up your seat to someone in need what you do us talk to the driver and let them know thy can help. Or ask the person sitting most of the time if you ask and explain not that you need to but most people will get up. Don't be affair to talk to the bus driver almost all are caring people that will help you out. It also not Disney rule that you have to fold the stroller it is a dot law. I am so sorry to hear no one offered their seats for her that just wrong I would of if I was on the bus.

We went in October and stayed at POFQ where there was no "accessible" boarding area for the bus lines. It was our first time at POFQ, so I'm not sure if there ever was one there in the first place. There weren't any at Epcot either and I don't remember there being any at the Magic Kingdom as well. I don't remember about Hollywood Studios and we never made it to Animal Kingdom.

Long story short, we did all the bus lines mainstreamed--my partner and I, me with my rollator. Because we were staying at a moderate, the buses filled up quickly and people would almost always sit in the handicapped seats. I can handle the two small steps on the front of the bus with my partner's help; he steps on first, I hand him my rollator, I grip his forearms and he pulls me onto the bus. We've got it down to a science and it only takes a second or two, much less time than having the bus driver go around and lower the ramp to let me on.

By the time we got on board, the handicapped seats would be full and half the time the people sitting in them would refuse to move even when asked, despite the fact that I obviously had a walker. This would cause me to end up blocking the whole isle because, even collapsed, my rollator won't fit into the higher part of the bus where the steps are (it's too narrow), so I'd end up either having to try to squeeze myself into a non-handicapped seat with my rollator collapsed on top of me, crushing my knees and partially blocking the aisle for anyone trying to get around me to the unoccupied seats in back of the bus or any standing room, or having to get the bus driver involved, which was generally like pulling teeth.

My partner suspects people were so hostile about giving up their seats because I'm relatively young looking (I'm 32 but look younger), but that doesn't really excuse their behavior. The situation with the buses was honestly the least magical part of our trip and I'd really like to talk to someone at Disney about it, but I'm not really sure who I should direct my concerns to. Also, next time I go, if they haven't altered their loading procedures, I'm just going to make the driver use the ramp to load me onto the back. Maybe that will make them more proactive in helping kick stubborn people out of the handicapped seats.

We went in October and stayed at POFQ where there was no "accessible" boarding area for the bus lines. It was our first time at POFQ, so I'm not sure if there ever was one there in the first place. There weren't any at Epcot either and I don't remember there being any at the Magic Kingdom as well. I don't remember about Hollywood Studios and we never made it to Animal Kingdondicapped seats would be full and half the time the people sitting in them would refuse to move even when asked, despite the fact that I obviously had a walker. This would cause me to end up blocking the whole isle because, even collapsed, my rollator won't fit into the higher part of the bus where the steps are (it's too narrow), so I'd end up either having to try to squeeze myself into a non-handicapped seat with my rollator collapsed on top of me, crushing my knees and partially blocking the aisle for anyone trying to get around me to the unoccupied seats in back of the bus or any standing room, or having to get the bus driver involved, which was generally like pulling teeth.

My partner suspects people were so hostile about giving up their seats because I'm relatively young looking (I'm 32 but look younger), but that doesn't really excuse their behavior. The situation with the buses was honestly the least magical part of our trip and I'd really like to talk to someone at Disney about it, but I'm not really sure who I should direct my concerns to. Also, next time I go, if they haven't altered their loading procedures, I'm just going to make the driver use the ramp to load me onto the back. Maybe that will make them more proactive in helping kick stubborn people out of the handicapped seats.
I am sorry to hear that you have the right to use the ramp or lift in the older bus. The driver should and needed to have them move they have sign on the bus saying that you mist give up your seat to some one in need. The driver broke the law with you blocking the isle and I do not mean any disrespect I mean just saying he or she needed to make sure you got a seat. It federal guide lines that they give up their to people in need. So if they refuse they can be removed from the bus. Did you get the driver name I would complain to Disney. Once again I am sorry you had a bad bus experience. I sorry if it sounded mean you did nohing wrong it the drivers fault and the guest that did not give up their seats. And it dosnet matterhow old or young you are you need a seat becuse it was proberly hard standing on a moving bus in a walker.

Just because it can be folded, the wheelabrator or whatever it is called should not be in front of your knees say against the next seatback. It should be one one side of you, in the aisle or in the next seat. Also not where it can be accidentally stepped on.

Just because it can be folded, the wheelabrator or whatever it is called should not be in front of your knees say against the next seatback. It should be one one side of you, in the aisle or in the next seat. Also not where it can be accidentally stepped on.

Nothing can block the isle as to dot Law all strollers or anything else has to be folded it a safety issue.

The single bus line for everybody may have come about because of too many complaints that a large family would all board by the back door.

Only enough family members to assist with loading should be at the back door, everyone else able to go through the regular line should be in the regular line.

Complaints about wheelchair guests unable to get on the first bus and the second bus unable to take them because of double loading should go to Disney Transport, not the resort. A double loading bus may not count towards the resort's contractual quota (if such a quota exists) if it leaves with fewer wheelchairs than the spaces it has and also leaves wheelchair guests on the platform.

::yes:: And you are probably correct. But at the same time, the Driver should have also enforced the rules as well:)

By the time we got on board, the handicapped seats would be full and half the time the people sitting in them would refuse to move even when asked, despite the fact that I obviously had a walker. This would cause me to end up blocking the whole isle because, even collapsed, my rollator won't fit into the higher part of the bus where the steps are (it's too narrow), so I'd end up either having to try to squeeze myself into a non-handicapped seat with my rollator collapsed on top of me, crushing my knees and partially blocking the aisle for anyone trying to get around me to the unoccupied seats in back of the bus or any standing room, or having to get the bus driver involved, which was generally like pulling teeth.

I hesitate to post because I don't want this to become a "more disabled than someone else" thread. I just want to gently remind people that not all disabilities are visable. And even if you can see the disability you don't know the extent. So just because someone is in that seat and you don't see a wheelchair, they may still be disabled.

I think there was a more indepth thread on this a bit ago, but I can't find it right now. Here is the language I find for use of the those seats.

"Sec. 38.27 Priority seating signs.
(a) Each vehicle shall contain sign(s) which indicate that seats in the front of the vehicle are priority seats for persons with disabilities, and that other passengers should make such seats available to those who wish to use them. At least one set of forward-facing seats shall be so designated. (b) Each securement location shall have a sign designating it as such."

http://www.fta.dot.gov/civilrights/ada/civil_rights_3905.html

I don't think the bus driver is able to "kick them" out of those seats.

Perhaps Magicbus will stop by with some words of wisdom on the subject.

I hesitate to post because I don't want this to become a "more disabled than someone else" thread. I just want to gently remind people that not all disabilities are visable. And even if you can see the disability you don't know the extent. So just because someone is in that seat and you don't see a wheelchair, they may still be disabled.

I think there was a more indepth thread on this a bit ago, but I can't find it right now. Here is the language I find for use of the those seats.

"Sec. 38.27 Priority seating signs.
(a) Each vehicle shall contain sign(s) which indicate that seats in the front of the vehicle are priority seats for persons with disabilities, and that other passengers should make such seats available to those who wish to use them. At least one set of forward-facing seats shall be so designated. (b) Each securement location shall have a sign designating it as such."

http://www.fta.dot.gov/civilrights/ada/civil_rights_3905.html

I don't think the bus driver is able to "kick them" out of those seats.

Perhaps Magicbus will stop by with some words of wisdom on the subject.

thank you very much i been trying to find that one and yes let me correct myself the bus driver cant phisclly kick you out of the seats but the drivers can tell people to get up to give their set to someone in need. The best bet if your using a walker or have something else that limits you standing is to talk to the driver they will help. They need to change the wording it not a sugestion to to give your seats up they have to. I seen disney drivers tell people to get up they have a wheel chair loading at a resort stop and they do so they have to do the same thing for people with disabilities just as pp said you my not be able to see it dosnet mean it not real.

thank you very much i been trying to find that one and yes let me correct myself the bus driver cant phisclly kick you out of the seats but the drivers can tell people to get up to give their set to someone in need. The best bet if your using a walker or have something else that limits you standing is to talk to the driver they will help. They need to change the wording it not a sugestion to to give your seats up they have to. I seen disney drivers tell people to get up they have a wheel chair loading at a resort stop and they do so they have to do the same thing for people with disabilities just as pp said you my not be able to see it dosnet mean it not real.

The wording is from the law (ADA). The law says that it is a suggestion. If you want the wording of it changed, you'll have to get the law changed.

The wording is from the law (ADA). The law says that it is a suggestion. If you want the wording of it changed, you'll have to get the law changed.

then i may have to i got some free time and know a couple people in the fedreal gov. Thanks for the idea:thumbsup2

I am not sure this is even true. I have seen the driver ask someone to move to load an ECV, because that is where the tie downs are. But I don't know that a driver can tell people to move otherwise. The ADA seems to suggest they can't. I would think it could become just what I mentioned before a "my disability is greater that yours" and I don't think WDW wants to go there.

I am sorry to everyone made a mistake i miss understood the sign and ada laws if i caused you any distress i am sorry. Thanks to the poster that pointed it out nicely that why i like this forum you treat each other with respect even if someone wrong. You dont jump down their throat or go out of your way to disrespect someone. Once again sorry for the mistake i made.

I am sorry to everyone made a mistake i miss understood the sign and ada laws if i caused you any distress i am sorry. Thanks to the poster that pointed it out nicely that why i like this forum you treat each other with respect even if someone wrong. You dont jump down their throat or go out of your way to disrespect someone. Once again sorry for the mistake i made.

No worries. I am still hoping Magicbus will drop by with some "official' info on how drivers are supposed to handle this situation. I know what I have seen and how we deal with our needs on the bus. But there may be "policy" we are not privy too.

No worries. I am still hoping Magicbus will drop by with some "official' info on how drivers are supposed to handle this situation. I know what I have seen and how we deal with our needs on the bus. But there may be "policy" we are not privy too.

thanks but i still think that someone should of got up and gave you a seat. Mybe they cant phissicaly make you move but i am sure they can atleast ask if they would be willing to move and if they say no they can call another bus if you be willing to wait.

I always assumed that one had to move (actually, I thought the signs on the monorail did say that guests had to make space for those in wheelchairs). I was surprised by the wording of the ADA (as posted above). I suppose it would be difficult to enforce with other wording.

I always assumed that one had to move (actually, I thought the signs on the monorail did say that guests had to make space for those in wheelchairs). I was surprised by the wording of the ADA (as posted above). I suppose it would be difficult to enforce with other wording.

That may be the case on the monorail, although more often than not I see the handicapped space on the monorail filled with empty double strollers. Actually now that I think about it, I do remember a stroller family refuse to move to make room for an ecv. The CM told the ecv they could take the next monorail.

It may be a matter of what battle the CM wants to fight. It is sad that is has to come to that.

That may be the case on the monorail, although more often than not I see the handicapped space on the monorail filled with empty double strollers. Actually now that I think about it, I do remember a stroller family refuse to move to make room for an ecv. The CM told the ecv they could take the next monorail.

It may be a matter of what battle the CM wants to fight. It is sad that is has to come to that.
That is exactly what it has come down to.

And, it is correct that the drivers can ask people to move, but can’t require them to move. Some drivers are very proactive about asking and some won’t even ask if there are other empty seats that the people could easily move to.

That is exactly what it has come down to.

And, it is correct that the drivers can ask people to move, but can’t require them to move. Some drivers are very proactive about asking and some won’t even ask if there are other empty seats that the people could easily move to.

:worship:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter