Resort Change by Disney

Interesting question. Word I got was June 5 - June 21 check-in dates could re-book for July 11 through December 31, 2020, but I don't know if that means your stay needs to be completed by December 31 or if you have to check-in by December 31. If you have a reservation booked between June 5 - June 21, it may be worth calling in to the WDW reservation line to see if you can modify to Dec. 26 - Jan. 1 and see what they say. Please let us know what you find out!

Your modified reservation is going to be subject to prevailing rates for the new dates, so it's very possible you will be subject to a price increase if rescheduling to a Holiday season.

My current reservation is July 7-14 so I’ll have to wait to find out.

I just want to understand as there have been so many different recovery conditions as well as different rumors.

If someone has a reservation at a value or moderate resort before any Disney resorts or parks are open (forgive me, I've forgotten the date in July they are supposed to reopen) can they reschedule into the same resort category this year or next at the going rate for that category/hotel? Or are only deluxe available and they have to pay the difference. I'll put aside those that had a recovery offer already since that is a separate wrinkle, just original reservations for this time period.

If someone has a resort reservation at a value or moderate after the parks and (some) resorts are open, but not the resort that they have a reservation for, are we saying that their only option is to get moved to deluxe or cancelled? And that if they move to a deluxe they need to pay for the upgrade, even if it is for the same timeframe as the original reservation? Or does the upcharge only occur if they modify to a different time period?

If Disney chooses to not open those resorts due to $ cost issues (i.e., there is no reason they can't open Pop if they choose to open a deluxe), then this sounds very close to price gauging on the pandemic.

Is it really any different than someone who has different types of masks, one more expensive and brings in a higher profit margin than the other? They take orders for each before the pandemic. Once the pandemic hits, they choose to sell only the expensive masks (albeit at the same original price, not an increased one) and not make the cheaper ones available to people that already ordered them. I realize this is far from a perfect analogy for several reasons, not the least of which is that hotel reservation is for a specific set of dates while the mask is not, but this seems dicey.

Price gauging laws are hard to enforce and without an increase in the actual price of the hotel rack rate it may not technically apply, but by choosing to only open the more expensive hotels and not moving/honoring the original reservation, this seems a little too close for comfort. Disney has much better lawyers than me, (not even a lawyer at all) so I'm sure they know what they are doing, but this just seems like it could end up in litigation, civil or otherwise. I know I wouldn't be happy if I had a reservation at a value and was told the only way I could keep it would be to pay 4 times as much or more because Disney chose to only open deluxe resorts. I may not agree, but can at least understand if they didn't keep all discounts in the same category booking, but forcing someone into a completely different category seems wrong.

Then again, I could be completely misunderstanding what is happening, especially since it may not actually be Disney's official policy, just rumors from different people's experiences and third hand knowledge.
Disney MUST open the DVC resorts due to timeshare laws. They cannot keep them closed any longer without running into a legal battle with DVC owners.

Disney does not have to open other resorts until it is financially prudent to do so. It makes no sense to open all resorts if only a fraction of rooms at each resort is going to be filled. Staff at each resort must still be paid, transportation must still be provided.

By consolidating guests in the DVC resorts, Disney can keep staffing needs down and provide efficient, socially distanced transportation.

At this time, it has been rumored that those guests who have reservations at closed resorts will be moved to open resorts. The original information was that those would be DVC Resorts at the beginning of the first phase. Generally, when Disney moves a guest to another resort it is done without an additional charge.

There are other guests whose reservations fall during a time when all resorts are closed. It appears that they are being offered a chance to re-book their reservations to a time between July 11-December 31. Because only DVC Resorts can be somewhat guaranteed to be open (assuming no further pandemic closures), those are the only resorts being offered for re-booking at this time. As more resorts open, guests would be able to change their reservation to another resort if they wish.

No one is forced to take a WDW vacation. It’s not a necessity like food, fuel or masks. It isn’t price gouging to charge the same rate for the same product that they always have. If someone prefers a Value Resorts for their price point and doesn’t want to pay for a Deluxe Villa, they don’t have to. Life will go on.

I just read on a Disney group that someone reported their Coronado reservation was just cancelled and they were moved to French Quarter. They didn’t mention dates, but I am assuming it is part of the NBA plans for this summer. Hopefully Disney moved them to a resort they are planning on opening by then. Hopefully some moderates will be opening!

We have a 8 night CSR reservation for the first week of August. Just got off the phone with a cast member, who passed me to two other cast members in a search for information and they had nothing for me. Just keeping waiting...

All three cast members however were very nice, considering what I imagine they've been going through the past few weeks I was impressed with how pleasant everyone still sounded lol

Last edited:

For at least this part, I believe the logic is that it would be overall less costly to operate certain deluxe resorts due to the way that they are attached to DVC resorts that will be already in a level of operation.
I agree it is less costly, but that is the point. They are making their decision based on cost and not the pandemic. The pandemic is causing a reduction in capacity, but not determining which hotels are impacted. . There is no reason that a value hotel cannot be opened if they can open a deluxe. Even if they chose to only open the deluxe hotel. they could also easily choose to go with a lottery system for all existing reservations regardless of resort. If a reservation is selected from the value resort, they simply get upgraded. They won't do this because they want the revenue from the higher priced reservations. Choosing to honor the more expensive reservation while choosing to not honor the cheaper reservation when they had to reduce capacity is just that, a choice.

I agree that it is a stretch to go from there to price gauging, especially since Disney is not raising their prices. They are also suffering their own economic loss from the pandemic even during the time they are reopen. To minimize that loss, I think you can argue they have done it in a way that unfairly penalizes cheaper reservations at the expense of more expensive ones.

I agree it is less costly, but that is the point. They are making their decision based on cost and not the pandemic. The pandemic is causing a reduction in capacity, but not determining which hotels are impacted. . There is no reason that a value hotel cannot be opened if they can open a deluxe. Even if they chose to only open the deluxe hotel. they could also easily choose to go with a lottery system for all existing reservations regardless of resort. If a reservation is selected from the value resort, they simply get upgraded. They won't do this because they want the revenue from the higher priced reservations. Choosing to honor the more expensive reservation while choosing to not honor the cheaper reservation when they had to reduce capacity is just that, a choice.

I agree that it is a stretch to go from there to price gauging, especially since Disney is not raising their prices. They are also suffering their own economic loss from the pandemic even during the time they are reopen. To minimize that loss, I think you can argue they have done it in a way that unfairly penalizes cheaper reservations at the expense of more expensive ones.

Disney isn't under any obligation to provide differing levels of hotel price options, though. There is no law preventing Disney from only having deluxe resorts and not even building value or moderate offerings. The company could have built one four seasons-esque resort and called it good if that was what it wanted to do. Disney does have an obligation to open DVC resorts, that is a different situation.

If Disney is willing to refund people at less expensive resorts they have no obligation to move those people for free. That is a choice that is within Disney's rights to make, as long as a refund is provided for a service that is not rendered.

Disney isn't under any obligation to provide differing levels of hotel price options, though. There is no law preventing Disney from only having deluxe resorts and not even building value or moderate offerings. The company could have built one four seasons-esque resort and called it good if that was what it wanted to do. Disney does have an obligation to open DVC resorts, that is a different situation.

If Disney is willing to refund people at less expensive resorts they have no obligation to move those people for free. That is a choice that is within Disney's rights to make, as long as a refund is provided for a service that is not rendered.
That's is a good point about the refunding, which I somehow forgot when thinking about it. Not sure how, it's a pretty obvious point.

I just want to understand as there have been so many different recovery conditions as well as different rumors.

If someone has a reservation at a value or moderate resort before any Disney resorts or parks are open (forgive me, I've forgotten the date in July they are supposed to reopen) can they reschedule into the same resort category this year or next at the going rate for that category/hotel? Or are only deluxe available and they have to pay the difference. I'll put aside those that had a recovery offer already since that is a separate wrinkle, just original reservations for this time period.

If someone has a resort reservation at a value or moderate after the parks and (some) resorts are open, but not the resort that they have a reservation for, are we saying that their only option is to get moved to deluxe or cancelled? And that if they move to a deluxe they need to pay for the upgrade, even if it is for the same timeframe as the original reservation? Or does the upcharge only occur if they modify to a different time period?

If Disney chooses to not open those resorts due to $ cost issues (i.e., there is no reason they can't open Pop if they choose to open a deluxe), then this sounds very close to price gauging on the pandemic.

Is it really any different than someone who has different types of masks, one more expensive and brings in a higher profit margin than the other? They take orders for each before the pandemic. Once the pandemic hits, they choose to sell only the expensive masks (albeit at the same original price, not an increased one) and not make the cheaper ones available to people that already ordered them. I realize this is far from a perfect analogy for several reasons, not the least of which is that hotel reservation is for a specific set of dates while the mask is not, but this seems dicey.

Price gauging laws are hard to enforce and without an increase in the actual price of the hotel rack rate it may not technically apply, but by choosing to only open the more expensive hotels and not moving/honoring the original reservation, this seems a little too close for comfort. Disney has much better lawyers than me, (not even a lawyer at all) so I'm sure they know what they are doing, but this just seems like it could end up in litigation, civil or otherwise. I know I wouldn't be happy if I had a reservation at a value and was told the only way I could keep it would be to pay 4 times as much or more because Disney chose to only open deluxe resorts. I may not agree, but can at least understand if they didn't keep all discounts in the same category booking, but forcing someone into a completely different category seems wrong.

Then again, I could be completely misunderstanding what is happening, especially since it may not actually be Disney's official policy, just rumors from different people's experiences and third hand knowledge.

Currently, they will only let guests whose reservations fall before the resort and Park is open to rebook...to an open resort...which currently is DVC and Ft. Wilderness .at going rate, if they want to change it now.. Or they will be canceled and be refunded, They can not be moved because no resort, even DVC is open for their dates.

Now, when the DVC resorts are open, then Disney could...and I said could...decide to move a guest vs, cancel because they can...and could do this for free..or just tell the guest we have to cancel..Rumor is that they will be moving some guests for free

IMO, one reason we may be seeing these modifications not being free is because they would then be jumping the line for resort changes ahead of those staying when moves can be made,

This is not price gouging since a Disney resort stay is not a necessity and they certainly can justify the plan to phase in resort openings, adding deluxe after DVC because they are shared resorts.

Also, anyone who did choose to change dates to a DVC, and pay, will not be prohibited to change to a different resort if one becomes open later on,

I think maybe Disney learned their lesson to not take reservations you can’t guarantee you can deliver. As of today, the only resorts they can deliver is DVC or Ft. Wilderness.

Last edited:
Allowing June reservations to modify, instead of canceling them like they had been doing,

That was new because last week, all Disney did was cancel. But this week, the email sent to impacted guests said they could now call and modify.

Honestly, These kind of moves are not going to be put out by Disney on their website...it will be included with direct contact with guests.

I even believe if they move someone it will be done by call or email and not something Disney puts out to public as a general “this is what we are doing”
When I did my online check-in for my two August reservations they asked for best contact info- both e-mail and cell phone- in case they needed to contact me regarding my reservation. I don't recall them ever asking me for confirmation of that info before, so I assumed at the time that it was for exactly this purpose. I anticipate that any changes to my reservation (either cancellation or a move) will be conveyed to me directly and not in the e-mail blasts that have happened up until now.

Disney MUST open the DVC resorts due to timeshare laws. They cannot keep them closed any longer without running into a legal battle with DVC owners.

Disney does not have to open other resorts until it is financially prudent to do so. It makes no sense to open all resorts if only a fraction of rooms at each resort is going to be filled. Staff at each resort must still be paid, transportation must still be provided.

By consolidating guests in the DVC resorts, Disney can keep staffing needs down and provide efficient, socially distanced transportation.

At this time, it has been rumored that those guests who have reservations at closed resorts will be moved to open resorts. The original information was that those would be DVC Resorts at the beginning of the first phase. Generally, when Disney moves a guest to another resort it is done without an additional charge.

There are other guests whose reservations fall during a time when all resorts are closed. It appears that they are being offered a chance to re-book their reservations to a time between July 11-December 31. Because only DVC Resorts can be somewhat guaranteed to be open (assuming no further pandemic closures), those are the only resorts being offered for re-booking at this time. As more resorts open, guests would be able to change their reservation to another resort if they wish.

No one is forced to take a WDW vacation. It’s not a necessity like food, fuel or masks. It isn’t price gouging to charge the same rate for the same product that they always have. If someone prefers a Value Resorts for their price point and doesn’t want to pay for a Deluxe Villa, they don’t have to. Life will go on.

Currently, they will only let guests whose reservations fall before the resort and Park is open to rebook...to an open resort...which currently is DVC and Ft. Wilderness .at going rate, if they want to change it now.. Or they will be canceled and be refunded, They can not be moved because no resort, even DVC is open for their dates.

Now, when the DVC resorts are open, then Disney could...and I said could...decide to move a guest vs, cancel because they can...and could do this for free..or just tell the guest we have to cancel..Rumor is that they will be moving some guests for free

IMO, one reason we may be seeing these modifications not being free is because they would then be jumping the line for resort changes ahead of those staying when moves can be made,

This is not price gouging since a Disney resort stay is not a necessity and they certainly can justify the plan to phase in resort openings, adding deluxe after DVC because they are shared resorts.

Also, anyone who did choose to change dates to a DVC, and pay, will not be prohibited to change to a different resort if one becomes open later on,

I think maybe Disney learned their lesson to not take reservations you can’t guarantee you can deliver. As of today, the only resorts they can deliver is DVC or Ft. Wilderness.

Yes, this! When I called in yesterday regarding modifications, I was told this exact thing. I can book something that is available now and, if more resorts open up and become available, I can simply modify again.

Disney has always made decisions based on cost, pandemic or no pandemic. They are a for-profit business and a publicly traded company.

As someone from Louisiana who is also actively watching that quarantine order, I think it's supposed to expire on 7/7, and I highly doubt DeSantis would extend it. If you want to come, I don't think that's a hurdle you'll need to worry about. I can certainly understand your fears, though!
I hope so. I didn't know the expiration date.

OK, I am one of the people who fell into the category to call, had a Yacht Club reservation beginning on June 21st for a woods/garden view room.

Just got off the phone, and here is what happened.

First, I was allowed to change my reservation since we were in the June 21st window. I could not book a regular resort room, only DVC at this time. That could change, and if it does, I will likely call back.

Second, asked for military rate. My room at YC was booked under military discount. She tried several codes and I was placed on hold for several minutes to see if she could locate any military discounts. As of right now, none. Of course, subject to change and I will have to call back.

Third, looked at Epcot DVC's as that was where we want to stay. Beach Club had a 1 bedroom Villa but my price jumped up over $500 more. (obviously, they aren't allowing room changes with same price) Same with Boardwalk 1 bedroom villa. However, I saved roughly $100 from my YC reservation by booking a Boardwalk deluxe studio standard view. That works for us, and it is booked.

We are cool with it. No doubt, I would prefer regular resort room so I will be watching for any updates on resort openings. But our reservation was easily changed and pretty seamless.

I did double check, as a room only rate it is still the 5 days prior to check in to cancel without penalty. (plenty of time to cancel if we change our minds with the current state of affairs with Covid)

Hope this helped.

OK, I am one of the people who fell into the category to call, had a Yacht Club reservation beginning on June 21st for a woods/garden view room.

First, I was allowed to change my reservation since we were in the June 21st window. I could not book a regular resort room, only DVC at this time. That could change, and if it does, I will likely call back.

Second, asked for military rate. My room at YC was booked under military discount. She tried several codes and I was placed on hold for several minutes to see if she could locate any military discounts. As of right now, none. Of course, subject to change and I will have to call back.

Third, looked at Epcot DVC's as that was where we want to stay. Beach Club had a 1 bedroom Villa but my price jumped up over $500 more. (obviously, they aren't allowing room changes with same price) Same with Boardwalk 1 bedroom villa. However, I saved roughly $100 from my YC reservation by booking a Boardwalk deluxe studio standard view. That works for us, and it is booked.

We are cool with it. No doubt, I would prefer regular resort room so I will be watching for any updates on resort openings. But our reservation was easily changed and pretty seamless.

I did double check, as a room only rate it is still the 5 days prior to check in to cancel without penalty. (plenty of time to cancel if we change our minds with the current state of affairs with Covid)

Hope this helped.
When are you scheduled to go now?

When are you scheduled to go now?

August 6th

Dh is concerned with heat/humidity wearing a mask in the dog days of Florida summer, but I saw that Universal has 2 designated areas that you can take off your mask in the parks. My guess is Disney may follow suit, it makes sense in the Florida heat to allow a small area for respite.

Hope this helped.
I am glad you were able to still get a room for now! Did you have to wait to receive an email from Disney that your were being cancelled or needed to call to modify before you could call and get assistance to modify your dates and room?

Hope this helped.

Do you know what they would do with someone staying at a value, for example? Would they move them but not charge for the upgrade? Or are they just out of luck.

August 6th

Dh is concerned with heat/humidity wearing a mask in the dog days of Florida summer, but I saw that Universal has 2 designated areas that you can take off your mask in the parks. My guess is Disney may follow suit, it makes sense in the Florida heat to allow a small area for respite.
Disney has already said they will have mask free zones. Just don't know what they will look like yet.

August 6th

Ah! We don’t go until October, so we will miss seeing you. You’ll love the Boardwalk if you stay there.

I recall hearing or reading somewhere that Disney would have them scattered around the park similar to how the old smoking areas were. Maybe not the exact same locations, but that they definitely anticipated having areas where you can remove your mask until you feel that you can resume wearing it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter