Proof The Rumors Are True!!! TCD Relocation Plans!

I do not think the interior hallways are drawn anywhere near to scale since they are often 6-8' wide. Plumbing chases and HVAC and ductwork chases typically take up 50 to 100 sqft although they got this down to much less in BLT. Still it does look roomier.

bookwormde

I do not think the interior hallways are drawn anywhere near to scale since they are often 6-8' wide. Plumbing chases and HVAC and ductwork chases typically take up 50 to 100 sqft although they got this down to much less in BLT. Still it does look roomier.

bookwormde

You're right, I flubbed that one.

I could see DVC creating a resort with larger rooms again.

Ft. Wilderness DVC will not be as convenient as BLT or BCV to a park. Bigger rooms could make it a good draw.

Has transportation to the parks improved from the Fort? We stayed at WL in 2005 and thought the transportation was just awful.

BTW, I think I may be able to clear something up to my friends at the Fort. I'm sure that there are snarky people who look down at the "poor" campers. That's just NOT nice, and shows no class. However, my recollection was that after I waited 20-30 minutes at the dock to get on a boat...it irritated me to go pick anybody else up.

On the same trip...we shared a bus with the Grand Floridian from Downtown Disney and had to deal with several drunk adolescents who were down right vicious about having to share the bus with the riff raff staying at Wilderness Lodge.

The boats from the marina have pretty direct routes now, but will occasionally divert to WL to pick up a handicapped person. Very unusual lately. All busses to the parks leave from the outpost now and they have enlarged the GC parking area somewhat. Of course the easiest way to MK is the launch. Most busses include WL in their route, so it's a little out of the way.

Shan-man,

You were very close, I am an estimator in construction so anything that does not fit pops out to me. Plus I am sure that DVD is not going to radically change there floorplans if it cost more $$$, that would cut into their profits. Water view near MK is going to sell well no mater what, and for those of use who like a more rustic feel and room to wander it is a big draw.

Thanks again

Bookwormde

A very interested lurker just had to comment...

For the most part, DVC'rs want the same thing Travel trailer/motor coach folk do, but not to the same extent: We both want our home with us when we're away on vacation. Campers will get up in the a.m., brew a pot of coffee and sit under their awning listening to nature and admiring the beauty around them, saying hi to the neighbors, DVC'rs will brew the coffee, struggle with ridiculously small coffee mugs stocked in the unit and will sit on the porch for the whole two minutes it takes to polish off that thimble of coffee before having to return indoors for another cup. (I pack my own mugs now ;). We'll say hi in passing others in the halls or in the lobby.

:rotfl: so true!

I'm a DVCer and the thought of Villas at Fort Wilderness sound GREAT to me! I love the idea of escaping into nature - Wilderness Lodge does that to a certain extent already and it's a popular resort. The "old west" theme could work for us Americans even (Hi Magdalene! :goodvibes) if done properly.

I really enjoy the resorts without a beach theme. I love escaping into a darker and cooler resort after spending time in the hot Florida sun. I'm also a City girl, so "living in nature" for a week sounds incredibly appealing...sorta like camping...but with a shower and coffee pot in the room. :laughing: ;)

I'm enjoying the thread! Thank you to everyone who has poured time into all the renderings! It's fun to imagine what might be.

IMHO, Disney would be missing a huge money maker if they failed to include premium cabins as part of this project. They could be scattered around to the west of the area that we are looking at.

The current cabins at FW can only accommodate a maximum of 6 guests. If they built cabins that could accommodate larger parties, these would be very popular.

Don't need a bigger cabin, they can even make it smaller - just give us an adult sized bed!

This is such a great thread, thanks everyone, really fun reading.

Let's keep this thing going, anybody talk to any bus drivers lately? I need an update! :)

I really get a feeling that this addition will be more inclusive to FW then exclusive. Why would they build something so close then say "for DVC members only"? I really think it will have a more "Villas at Fort Wilderness" then a "Bay Lake Tower" feel to it. I just hope we get some added shops & restaurants. That's about the only thing I see lacking currently at FW.

Let's keep this thing going, anybody talk to any bus drivers lately? I need an update! :)

TCD has not posted since last Thursday. I'm hoping he made a weekend trip to FW and has dug up some good stuff. popcorn::

I have a feeling that this new resort, be it DVC or not, will have to have some sort of name unto itself. The "Villas at Fort Wilderness" would end up being a disaster as far as reservations goes. How many people have been given (or tried to be given) a ressie at Wilderness Lodge because the people at reservations are soooo confused? Since there already is a Villas at Wilderness Lodge, just think what having Villas at Fort Wilderness would do to reservations.:scared1: And people who haven't a clue about where they want to stay would be thinking they're booking one resort, but end up with the other.

Would this mean the theme may be different enough from Wilderness Lodge, so people wouldn't be confused? The Old West train depot might just do that. It will be interesting to see......

I have a feeling that this new resort, be it DVC or not, will have to have some sort of name unto itself. The "Villas at Fort Wilderness" would end up being a disaster as far as reservations goes. How many people have been given (or tried to be given) a ressie at Wilderness Lodge because the people at reservations are soooo confused? Since there already is a Villas at Wilderness Lodge, just think what having Villas at Fort Wilderness would do to reservations.:scared1: And people who haven't a clue about where they want to stay would be thinking they're booking one resort, but end up with the other.

Would this mean the theme may be different enough from Wilderness Lodge, so people wouldn't be confused? The Old West train depot might just do that. It will be interesting to see......

My suggestion of "Villas at Fort Wilderness" was more of a concept then an actual name. I agree that it could be a confusing name. Whatever it's called, I really hope it's part of FW.

If this is built as a part of the Fort, in all honesty, can any campers can see themselves trading in their wheels for Fort Wilderness DVC points as they grow older? I think if this had been available 10 years back my dad would have DVC instead of a winter home 20 miles away. Or, maybe he'd have both. ;)

I just did a massing model, assuming 3 stories, just to see the impact on the Fort:

Screenshot2010-11-01at11418PM.png

This is obviously very rough, just indicating the main mass of the buildings, without roofs or balconies, or connecting atria. Once I have a more detailed model I will share it for you GoogleEarth users to play with. I just wanted to sketch something up over lunch.

ShantaClausSm.png

If this is built as a part of the Fort, in all honesty, can any campers can see themselves trading in their wheels for Fort Wilderness DVC points as they grow older? I think if this had been available 10 years back my dad would have DVC instead of a winter home 20 miles away. Or, maybe he'd have both. ;)

I definately see myself trading in my wheels.......

For better wheels. The only thing that would make me think about DVC is being a millionaire, or waterfront DVC campsites.

Even in the one I have now, my bed is way more comfortable than any hotel and no sleeps there but me.

Dan

I definately see myself trading in my wheels.......

For better wheels. The only thing that would make me think about DVC is being a millionaire, or waterfront DVC campsites.

Even in the one I have now, my bed is way more comfortable than any hotel and no sleeps there but me.

Dan

:thumbsup2

Not even if I was a millionaire!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter