Positive thoughts please-ups and downs p.42

I am so happy this worked out well. I remember when my husband had a medical crisis and it was touch-and-go as to whether his leg would be amputated or not, and how systemic his infection had become. He wasn't as compromised as Richard, but still: It's incredible and terrifying how easily one seemingly little thing can snowball and change your whole life. It's also incredible to look back on those days and see how far we've come. DH's issue was a little over 2 years ago; now, except for some certain limitations, it's almost like it never happened. So happy for you and Richard, Kim!

I am so happy this worked out well. I remember when my husband had a medical crisis and it was touch-and-go as to whether his leg would be amputated or not, and how systemic his infection had become. He wasn't as compromised as Richard, but still: It's incredible and terrifying how easily one seemingly little thing can snowball and change your whole life. It's also incredible to look back on those days and see how far we've come. DH's issue was a little over 2 years ago; now, except for some certain limitations, it's almost like it never happened. So happy for you and Richard, Kim!

My DH had an incredibly bad leg infection that went into necrotizing fasciitis (flesh eating) and nearly lost his leg. That leg is now compromised as he can get cellulitis in it very easily and each time he has had cellulitis, it is worse. Last time, he was nearly septic. The doctor also states that it may have affected his liver. This has been nearly 18 years ago and the liver damage is now being discovered. Not 100% sure but, according to the doctor, it is a good chance.

This is not the update I wanted to give on the one year anniversary of this thread.

Richard has been in casts since he came home from the hospital. Because of his diabetes he has foot problems and he gets extra stability from the casts.

A few weeks ago, he started having pain in his left foot. Multiple tests were done and it was confirmed that there is an infection in the bones of his foot, and they are basically disintegrating. After talking to the dr. and lots of discussion, we’ve decided that an amputation is the best solution. It will be below the knee and he will be fitted with a prosthesis.

The rehab staff have told us that he will be in a wheelchair for the foreseeable future so we need to move. Now. As in, I have about a month to find somewhere 100% accessible. And then I have to pack our house and move.

It was a huge shock initially, but now we’ve come to peace with it. It’s going to stop his pain and as the dr said, it’s no longer a matter of if, it’s now a when.

We don’t know when the surgery will be, because he’s on a standby list. Hopefully in the next few days. In the meanwhile, we’re in the hospital just waiting until someone comes to get him and says it’s time.

I debated whether or not to even talk about it, but I’m going to need a place to vent again.

I can’t believe we’re literally right back where we started. Richard will be doing his rehab in the exact same place, same floor that he did it last year.

Love sent kimblebee.

Richard has been in my thoughts. Numerous times I have thought to ask and just didn't. I am frustrated for both of you.

Please take care of yourself and reach out for help. Same speech - You need to make sure you're looking after yourself as well. Yes I know, easier said than done.

:hug: to both of you. To your entire family.

I am so sorry to hear this. Please know you are both in my thoughts and prayers. And remember to take care of yourself too. Hugs!

He and you made the right decision and one of these days, your new normal will be a good one. My prayers are with you and Richard.

I'm sorry about what you are going through. Situations like these are beyond stressful for all family members involved.

Are there any community services that could assist with some of your needs as far as finding 100% accessible housing and anything else that you'll need?

I wish you the best of luck and know that many people are sending positive thoughts your way.

I'm sorry about what you are going through. Situations like these are beyond stressful for all family members involved.

Are there any community services that could assist with some of your needs as far as finding 100% accessible housing and anything else that you'll need?

I wish you the best of luck and know that many people are sending positive thoughts your way.

We do have a few services that I will be reaching out to tomorrow. Not sure if they’ll be able to do anything, but I’ll still inquire.

We don’t know if he’s still on the list for today. It’s 6:00 local time and by 4:00 yesterday he knew he was off the list for today. It’s good if he’s still on the list, because then we can get it over with. It’s not good because he has to fast just in case and he’s starving.

It sounds callous to say get it over with but we can’t move on to healing until it’s done. I’m a person who likes to have a plan and a list and I can’t do that yet. I do feel like I have purpose now in finding us a new place to live so I’m glad for that, at least.

Thank you so much everyone for your thoughts. It really does make a difference knowing there are people out there who are rooting for you.

Sending you good thoughts,Kim.I appreciate your candor,and hope that the coming days will give you clarity and direction.Thinking of your husband and you....

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter