Positive thoughts please-ups and downs p.42

You know ‘they’ say that when it rains, it pours? My life has some showers right now that May turn into a typhoon in a month.

I know this thread is supposed to be for Richard so I’ll start there..

He’s doing really, really well, all things considered. He is able to get from his bed into his wheelchair on his own and has started doing some arm strengthening in pt already. He’ll be ready to go home next week, But can stay where he is until I find housing. There are a few places, but having to come up with another damage deposit and first months rent will be a strain, especially this time of year. His surgery scars are healing nicely and there’s no sign of infection at all. The nurses also say it’s a great sign that he can feel pain, means there’s no nerve damage. Phantom pain is challenging right now, but should fade over time.

As for me..

Part of follow up for my ms treatment I did last year is having monthly blood work. They check for certain things because of issues others have had. In October a health warning went out because a high number of people who had had the same treatment were also developing liver issues. So, I had bloodwork done on Wednesday and called my nurse on Thursday to get the results...

Turns out my liver numbers are more than twice what they should be. They were last tested in early 2017 and they were fine. I have to wait a month before I can test again which is going to make for the longest month ever. If my numbers are still high, I will be sent to a liver dr to see if I’ve developed autoimmune hepatitis. It’s when my immune system is attacking my liver as a foreign body. I don’t think it’s fatal, but late stages can require a liver transplant.

Guys..what the heck?? I haven’t had any ms symptoms since my treatments but if this pans out, this will be the second serious side effect I’ve developed. I guess there’s pros and cons to everything but if I would have known I’d develop a rapid heart rate and could potentially require a freakin’ liver transplant, I would have given it a LOT more thought.

The only really important pro right now is that it caught my cervical cancer really early.

I think that news, in addition to everything else pushed me over the edge last night. I spent most of the night throwing up and just feeling really, really poorly.

I finally felt well enough to stop sleeping on the couch by the bathroom about 630 am so I went to bed and fell into a deep deep sleep until 3 pm. I couldn’t tell you the last time I slept so soundly. I woke up feeling clearheaded and like I am now strong enough to make a plan. I don’t feel like I’m in a haze any more.

Before I got sick last night I would randomly burst into tears so I had a feeling my dam
Would be breaking, and did it ever.

I might go up to the hospital or I might start making my 50 lists that I like to have at all times.

Things aren’t perfect, but they’re looking up.

I’ll take it.

You know ‘they’ say that when it rains, it pours? My life has some showers right now that May turn into a typhoon in a month.

I know this thread is supposed to be for Richard so I’ll start there..

He’s doing really, really well, all things considered. He is able to get from his bed into his wheelchair on his own and has started doing some arm strengthening in pt already. He’ll be ready to go home next week, But can stay where he is until I find housing. There are a few places, but having to come up with another damage deposit and first months rent will be a strain, especially this time of year. His surgery scars are healing nicely and there’s no sign of infection at all. The nurses also say it’s a great sign that he can feel pain, means there’s no nerve damage. Phantom pain is challenging right now, but should fade over time.

As for me..

Part of follow up for my ms treatment I did last year is having monthly blood work. They check for certain things because of issues others have had. In October a health warning went out because a high number of people who had had the same treatment were also developing liver issues. So, I had bloodwork done on Wednesday and called my nurse on Thursday to get the results...

Turns out my liver numbers are more than twice what they should be. They were last tested in early 2017 and they were fine. I have to wait a month before I can test again which is going to make for the longest month ever. If my numbers are still high, I will be sent to a liver dr to see if I’ve developed autoimmune hepatitis. It’s when my immune system is attacking my liver as a foreign body. I don’t think it’s fatal, but late stages can require a liver transplant.

Guys..what the heck?? I haven’t had any ms symptoms since my treatments but if this pans out, this will be the second serious side effect I’ve developed. I guess there’s pros and cons to everything but if I would have known I’d develop a rapid heart rate and could potentially require a freakin’ liver transplant, I would have given it a LOT more thought.

The only really important pro right now is that it caught my cervical cancer really early.

I think that news, in addition to everything else pushed me over the edge last night. I spent most of the night throwing up and just feeling really, really poorly.

I finally felt well enough to stop sleeping on the couch by the bathroom about 630 am so I went to bed and fell into a deep deep sleep until 3 pm. I couldn’t tell you the last time I slept so soundly. I woke up feeling clearheaded and like I am now strong enough to make a plan. I don’t feel like I’m in a haze any more.

Before I got sick last night I would randomly burst into tears so I had a feeling my dam
Would be breaking, and did it ever.

I might go up to the hospital or I might start making my 50 lists that I like to have at all times.

Things aren’t perfect, but they’re looking up.

I’ll take it.
Well, that was tough to read, as I can imagine how difficult this is for you. I’m glad you at least felt more clear-headed after your long nap. I hate feeling really overwhelmed; I’ve felt it a lot myself lately. I think the most you can do is take things day by day, or even hour by hour if necessary, and enlist as much help as you can, which it sounds like you’ve done with your daughter and her friends, and I know you have other family around you. One day at a time; one problem at a time.

Try not to worry too much about the liver issue while you still have Richard recovering from surgery and you’re moving into a new place and getting him settled. There’s not much you can do about it anyway until you have more info from your next blood draw, so mentally put that aside if you can for now. (I know easier said than done, but try not to bleed before you’re shot!) Try to be nice to yourself and eat as healthily as you can, so you feel good. Keep up with fluids. Try to take a few moments at least a few times a day to get away to a quiet, pleasant corner and say some affirmations to help release some of your stress.

We’re here with you. :grouphug:

So glad to hear Richard is doing well.

Waiting is hard. I agree that month is going to see long. Good thoughts to you that it was just a fluke result and all will be fine. Just take care of yourself.

Sorry to read of the latest with you, Kim. Great advice above. Good to hear Richard is making good progress. Wow, getting out of bed and into a wheelchair already! Wonderful! As always, with anything in life, a day at a time. :hug:'s

Kim, so glad to hear Richard is recovering quite nicely. For you, stay rested.....life can be easier to handle. :hug:

I’m sorry. You have a lot going on and it’s not surprising that you are feeling overwhelmed. You have already been given great advice, but I will add that you should let others help you when they offer. People really do want to ease your burden a bit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter