Port Canaveral: A Lost Luggage Story

Lol my 6 year old has figured out that my 2 year old loves to pull luggage, so he’s got his own pint-sized personal porter for his Olaf suitcase. We are also a carry-on only family for most trips but you never know when you might be subject to the dreaded gate check or random weight check at ticketing (looking at you Hawaiian Air) deciding that your tiny carry on must go in the hold. If you bring a standard size rolling carry on to a cruise can you roll it onboard or do they still want you to check it?

Yep, as long as your carry on fits through a standard airport style x ray machine you are good to go!

MJ

My biggest fear -- that someone will (willfully or by mistake) walk off with a piece of our luggage from the port or the baggage carousel at the airport. I had to run after a guy in Hawaii who was walking away with a piece of our luggage because it matched his. He was mortified but we were glad we found it before he left. Since then we put very colorful ribbons and luggage tags on our luggage. I wish the airports would go back to checking your luggage against the luggage tickets they give you to avoid this. As far as the port luggage, I'm surprised in all the chaos and volume, it doesn't happen more often.

I am very glad to hear yours was found and everything resolved!

LOL me too!!! I have already purchased some Disney carry on luggage for our grand kids ages 3, 3 and 6 mos. One of our grand kids (3) travels a lot as they live on the West Coast and we are on the East Coast. She rolls her own little Minnie Mouse carry on with all her snacks and toys....she is a travel pro already.

View attachment 333341

MJ

So cute!! And kudos that she is handling it. It drives me batty when people are clogging up walkways because it’s a family of 4 - 2 of them in the under 5 set - who by god are going to have their 2 carry-ons per person but ONE person is wrangling all 8 bags. My sister and I got what we ourselves could manage - and when we were too little for that, my parents never thought I should be entitled to 2 bags myself. Quite possibly why I am so adept at packing in all carry-on luggage now - the “You bring it, you carry it” mentality.

My biggest fear -- that someone will (willfully or by mistake) walk off with a piece of our luggage from the port or the baggage carousel at the airport. I had to run after a guy in Hawaii who was walking away with a piece of our luggage because it matched his. He was mortified but we were glad we found it before he left. Since then we put very colorful ribbons and luggage tags on our luggage. I wish the airports would go back to checking your luggage against the luggage tickets they give you to avoid this. As far as the port luggage, I'm surprised in all the chaos and volume, it doesn't happen more often.

I am very glad to hear yours was found and everything resolved!

I may hate virtually every aspect of LaGuardia, but I will give them credit for checking bag claim tags before you leave the claim area.

I'm usually pretty obsessive about counting bags, but following our 2015 cruise, we managed to leave one of our suitcases in the terminal at Port Canaveral! Somehow it got left behind when the porter loaded everything up. I got a call on my cell phone on the DCL bus going back to WDW, and it was delivered to the hotel not long after we arrived.
:thanks:

This thread has inspired me to get crafty and make some luggage handle covers. Found some cute Disney cruise fabric (Mickey/Minnie with anchors and compasses) at the local fabric store that is bright red. Should stand out on our black suitcases. Time to get out the sewing machine and get busy before our trip!

My guys like black, basic bags. I have a roll of bright neon duct tape that I use to place strips of duct tape on the bottom and top of the bags. Makes them easy to spot on the luggage carousel. Once at home, they rip the duct tape off.

One of our suitcases was left behind after a cruise in the terminal. We did not miss it until that evening and the port was shut down. We did get through to Disney to report it and they were on it. Live in Canada and we were a couple of days getting home. Message on our machine when we got home that it was found and wanted address to ship it to. We live close to the US border so I suggested ship it to maine and I would go get it. My mistake it was left and I was willing to play. But no Disney was paying and it would be shipped direct to me. Because it had to cross the border everything in it had to be listed and a value put on it. The 2 lightsabers I paid 25.00 for were listed at 5.00. While the slippers I paid 2.00 for were listed at 20.00. Also some candy we had which I know could cross the border was removed. Arrived and Disney earned bonus points.

My guys like black, basic bags. I have a roll of bright neon duct tape that I use to place strips of duct tape on the bottom and top of the bags. Makes them easy to spot on the luggage carousel. Once at home, they rip the duct tape off.
Maybe you could get a "theam" style of duct tape and it will stay on longer. Maybe Star Wars or Marvel?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter