• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Port Canaveral: A Lost Luggage Story

DIS_MIKE

DCL Commodore
So I had a fun little experience at the end of my last cruise and I wanted to share it with everyone. I got off the ship and proceeded to collect my luggage before going through customs. I found 3 of my bags with ease as they were marked quite well but the 4th (also marked) was nowhere to be found. So I continued to search…..and search…..and search.

I asked a DCL rep if all the bags were off the ship and he verified there were no stragglers. The missing bag contained all of my expensive Scubapro equipment. The rep asked me to verify the brand(I had no idea what it was even called), color, what it looked like (a piece of luggage, duh), and if there were any markings that could distinguish it from others.

Of course that particular piece of luggage was a cheapie given to me by American Airlines because they obliterated my nice Samsonite luggage somewhere between Philly and Miami. This is the sad reality, folks

The rep went through the remaining luggage piece by piece. We were probably there for 45 minutes just waiting for a resolution that was obviously not coming anytime soon. He then had me go to guest relations to fill out a lost luggage form.

DCL is very clever as they distribute luggage tags the evening before the ship pulls into the terminal. You are instructed to list how many bags you have. So if you have a total of 4, you’ll list 1 of 4, etc. He found a random duffel bag with a number on it but no other corresponding bags from that stateroom. He had a feeling this person picked up the wrong bag. So he looked up their contact info and gave them a call but of course there was no answer. At this point there was nothing else they could do for us.

He walked me to the front of the customs line and we were on our way back to the airport via DCL transfer. To my surprise, I received a call from DCL and they told me that my luggage would be waiting for me at the airport. I guess this guy took my bag by mistake but it still blows my mind that the duffel was left behind because if he forgot about it and just took my bag then wouldn’t there still be a remaining black piece of luggage?

The moral of the story is be sure to really make your bag stand out. Use pink duct tape if you have to because it will make it much easier to spot your bag and hopefully prevent others from mistakenly taking it.
Thanks for reading and Happy Cruising. :sail:

Last edited:
The moral of the story is be sure to really make your bag stand out. Use pink duct tape if you have to because it will make it much easier to spot your bag and hopefully prevent others from mistakenly taking it.

Good advice since most of us have those uniform black bags. :rolleyes:

Yow! That is a whacky story! I agree it seems most odd that someone took YOUR bag by mistake but "their" bag was no where to be seen.......hmmmm.

I also keep a photo of my luggage on my cell phone. That way I can provide a picture if my luggage gets lost. That's easier than describing it as a "blue suitcase".

Nice! I love that idea! I always take a photo of where we parked at the airport if we don't hire a car, but never thought about taking a pic of my baggage! :thanks:

My dad was the wrong luggage grabber one time. We discovered the issue at MCO. They had us drop the piece we had at ME (the owner was in my cruise group, so I knew it needed to go to her resort) and then they brought our piece to the DCL transfer desk. Super easy. They do a good job of tracking the bags.

My dad was the wrong luggage grabber one time. We discovered the issue at MCO. They had us drop the piece we had at ME (the owner was in my cruise group, so I knew it needed to go to her resort) and then they brought our piece to the DCL transfer desk. Super easy. They do a good job of tracking the bags.

That's where they directed me to get my bag once I got to MCO. I guess if I was going back to WDW they would've sent it to my room.

Good advice since most of us have those uniform black bags. :rolleyes:

Yow! That is a whacky story! I agree it seems most odd that someone took YOUR bag by mistake but "their" bag was no where to be seen.......hmmmm.
It was a black bag...:duck:

Of course it was!!:joker: Almost all of my various sized bags are black. But I do have neon colored ribbon or bright colored handle covers. And then, there is that thing of the Hawaii agricultural inspection stickers that I tend to just LEAVE on my black bags....... I don't see too many of those at my home airport here in central FL. And it makes me smile when I see those stickers..... :cutie:

I took the Disney bus to Wilderness Lodge following a cruise on the Dream. A couple on the same bus discovered that they had taken the wrong bag. They were mortified, but the driver seemed to have a handle on it once they told him what had happened. I’m guessing it happens more than we might think!

I have gotten away from buying black bags, but the couple that I still have are adorned with various colors/designs of duct tape. One of my last two black bags is about to bite the dust, and I've been shopping for something that will stand out. Problem is, lots of other people are doing the same. The bright purple bag I picked up 5 years ago, which used to be the only one of that particular shade on any luggage carousel, is now blending in with its many cousins of the same color. I was noticing on our last trip that there are fewer boring black bags populating baggage claim than there were just a few years ago. So I'm going to have to up my game in picking something obnoxious enough to stand out.

Of course it was!!:joker: Almost all of my various sized bags are black. But I do have neon colored ribbon or bright colored handle covers. And then, there is that thing of the Hawaii agricultural inspection stickers that I tend to just LEAVE on my black bags....... I don't see too many of those at my home airport here in central FL. And it makes me smile when I see those stickers..... :cutie:

There will be no smuggling in exotic fruits and vegetables. :tilt:
Having unique stickers is also a smart idea but only if they stick.

I have gotten away from buying black bags, but the couple that I still have are adorned with various colors/designs of duct tape. One of my last two black bags is about to bite the dust, and I've been shopping for something that will stand out. Problem is, lots of other people are doing the same. The bright purple bag I picked up 5 years ago, which used to be the only one of that particular shade on any luggage carousel, is now blending in with its many cousins of the same color. I was noticing on our last trip that there are fewer boring black bags populating baggage claim than there were just a few years ago. So I'm going to have to up my game in picking something obnoxious enough to stand out.
My mom did the purple thing too and it hasn’t helped her locate her bag any faster. I suggest going with CAMO at this point. LOL

I only buy colorful luggage at this point...

Me too. The set we use most often is bright pepto bismol pink. I think it was part of a breast cancer awareness promotion. My DH hates it, but I ALWAYS know when my bag hits the carousel.

I was noticing on our last trip that there are fewer boring black bags populating baggage claim than there were just a few years ago.

I've noticed this too. While I've never seen another pink as bright as ours, more and more people are definitely looking to get away from the black with the red string on it, to differentiate their bag.

Yeah, I love purple and paid WAY too much moolah for a purple Rimowa suitcase, as they were very highly rated. Darned thing's zipper pull broke within a couple of years, still useable, but irritating. It does help a LITTLE that it's BIG and purple, but I still always put bright and/or patterned name tags, neon colored ribbon, my Hawaii agricultural stickers, whatever, on the thing. And definitely on all my black bags!! :joker:

People are so strange some times with luggage. I was standing with our luggage at a rental car agency while my husband did the paper work one time. A man walked up and started to walk away with one of our bags. I said, "Excuse me, I think that's our bag." He was sure it wasn't until I showed him the tags. There was even colored yarn on the handle. He then realized his was several feet away. I wish people would open their eyes and really look at what they're taking.

People are so strange some times with luggage. I was standing with our luggage at a rental car agency while my husband did the paper work one time. A man walked up and started to walk away with one of our bags. I said, "Excuse me, I think that's our bag." He was sure it wasn't until I showed him the tags. There was even colored yarn on the handle. He then realized his was several feet away. I wish people would open their eyes and really look at what they're taking.

This exact thing happened to me one time--someone grabbed my bag and started leaving right in front of me. I swore never to be that person, so I always just read the tag. It only takes a moment.

I got bright fuschia luggage for my birthday right before our latest cruise. My only requirement was fuschia, lol. You can bet even my 4 year old spotted Mommy's luggage!!!

Funny story now (not so funny then). Someone took my luggage on our last cruise (plain black). After all the tears (souvenirs and special things inside), we started our drive home and DCL called that our luggage was at the airport. So happy someone turned it in. They shipped it to us during the week.

Called my mom who was on the same cruise. She took some of our luggage as we had no room in our car. Asked her to check an item I had packed. She goes to open the suitcase and found out she took someone else’s luggage! So both my bags were missing. She contacted the person (name on tag) and she shipped it to him and he had our second bag - and he shipped it to us.
Next cruise I swear my luggage will all have the ugliest ribbons on the handle and stickers on the side. Not going through that again!

If you use colored tape, where do you put it? On the handle? Across the sides or something?

I use duct tape on my black bags. I have a strip on each side of my bag so no matter which direction it comes out on the conveyor belt, I can see the tape.

I do the same thing. I found some bright blue duct tape with Mickey and Minnie on it that I used. I also take pics of all our luggage, including carry-ons, with my phone. For those who need new luggage, Kohl's often has it on sale. I bought all new sets of Travelpro several years ago. It is so light weight and comes in several different colors.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter