Please stop saying "and" in your numbers

It was our word first! :rotfl: We spell and say it: organisation

I get irritated by your prenounciation of alluminum, Edinburgh and when Julie did Store Tours in England in Epcot, i almost wet myself with Burberry! But i can get over it. ;)

I don't really get het up over it

So, how do you say them?

So, how do you say them?

Al i min e um (if thats makes sense:) Ed in Burrer (Edinburgh). Not even gonna attempt Burberry lol

Its really difficult to explain on paper don't know if they help.

To be honest, I find myself speaking more like an American than an English person, maybe I am spending too much time on the board and watching American T.V. My kids speak like mini Americans, phrases and everything!. Must stop them watching the Simpsons:rotfl:

Al i min e um (if thats makes sense:) Ed in Burrer (Edinburgh). Not even gonna attempt Burberry lol

Its really difficult to explain on paper don't know if they help.

To be honest, I find myself speaking more like an American than an English person, maybe I am spending too much time on the board and watching American T.V. My kids speak like mini Americans, phrases and everything!. Must stop them watching the Simpsons:rotfl:

If it makes you feel better, I watch mostly British comedy and I love to use the UK spellings/pronounciations. Although I still can't say "Al yoo mini um" with a straight face.

If it makes you feel better, I watch mostly British comedy and I love to use the UK spellings/pronounciations. Although I still can't say "Al yoo mini um" with a straight face.

I am confused now (doesn't take much) I don't even know how to say alliminium any more (cant spell it either:rotfl2: ) Maybe I've been saying it wrong all my life.

After spending a couple of years of the boards, I now find myself spelling things the American way, off the boards. Colour/Color Organisation/Organization etc. I find myself correcting myself lots of times. I think with the internet and T.V. interaction between the two countries eventually we all may end up mixing the languages up. On my return from the US in September, I went into our local Subway and asked for chips with my sandwhich. The server (a word that is not English, but I use a lot now) looked at me like I was mad!! Mind you, I knew I was not in the US when I tasted that sandwhich, there was nothing in it;)

Its hard to say, when Pete does this international line i will call up, say a few words then hang up! :rotfl:

Aluminium - US: AL UUUU min UM
UK: Al U MIN eeee UM

Burberry- US: BUR BERRY (like 2 seperate words)
UK: Burrburry (it sounds like one word with a lengthened urrrr sound)

Edinburgh- US: Edin Burg
UK: Edd in burrur

There are so many other words that sound so different, but it makes me laugh! I get teased cause i call my mother, mom, instead of mum which is the generally accepted term in the UK. I can't help it, it sounds better that way! She now has one daughter saying mum and one mom, but oh well!

Cheers, wishspirit :-) How about some rhyming slang! Apples and pears, that sort of thing.

Thanks!

Cheers, wishspirit :-) How about some rhyming slang! Apples and pears, that sort of thing.

Thanks!

The only one i ever use is 'Pete Tong' which means wrong. So if you say its all gone a bit Pete Tong, its all gone a bit wrong. He is a DJ who became famous on Radio One. I dont know much about him, but i still say its all gone a bit Pete Tong!

I dont use much else, i have a Mary Poppins style accent, rather than an Eliza Dolittle!

Here is some rhyming slang for you. If you check out Wikipedia for Cockney rhyming slang it explains the history and gives more examples

Apples and Pears - Stairs
Adam and Eve - Believe as in I don't Adam and Eve it.
A butchers - look. As in take a butchers at that.
Pork Pie - Lie
China Plate- mate (pal)
Dog and Bone - telephone
Jam Jar - Car

There are loads more but I am not from London, where they are commonly used. In fact I am not too sure they are used much anymore at all. Here in the North of England not many people use them. We have our own Yorkshire wording, same as people from the North East, Liverpool etc have their own.

Some good Yorkshire ones are:

Barmpot - a stupid person
Owt - Nothing
Push Iron - Bicycle
Midden - A mess

But my all time favs have got to be "Your not as green as cabbage looking" (you are not as stupid as you look) and "Ill go t'bottom of our street" which means I don't believe it.:)

Don't come over to the UK then. This is the way it is always done.;). We were taught it that way at school. It is not wrong to me.:confused3

It seems strange to me without the and.

Same with us here in Australia. I always thought that those in the US were the only ones that didn't use the 'and'. It sounds really strange to me without it also.

I might sound silly but how does it represent a decimal point. Here a decimal point is referred to as 'point'. ie: 2.5, two point five. I'm just curious.

See I live just North of London so i should know them! We obviously don't have anything special where i live.

OP here again,

I might sound silly but how does it represent a decimal point. Here a decimal point is referred to as 'point'. ie: 2.5 said:
Apparently I don't know how to quote other posts.

Again, I'm looking to let this go, but 2.5 would be pronounced in a math class (as I realize, not so much a podcast or an entertainment discussion board) as "two and five tenths." 2008.5 would be pronounced "two thousand eight and five tenths."

But, like I said, I'm over it. Everyone in their respective field probably has some little thing that people don't realize they are doing wrong that bugs them but isn't a big deal to people not in that field. Apparently this is a math-teacher-only dilemma and I'm done with it. Maybe I'll worry about it in two-thousand-and-nine, but not right now.

I have a feeling the number thing will right itself a bit when we hit 2010; at least when pronouncing years.

Here is some rhyming slang for you. If you check out Wikipedia for Cockney rhyming slang it explains the history and gives more examples

Apples and Pears - Stairs
Adam and Eve - Believe as in I don't Adam and Eve it.
A butchers - look. As in take a butchers at that.
Pork Pie - Lie
China Plate- mate (pal)
Dog and Bone - telephone
Jam Jar - Car

There are loads more but I am not from London, where they are commonly used. In fact I am not too sure they are used much anymore at all. Here in the North of England not many people use them. We have our own Yorkshire wording, same as people from the North East, Liverpool etc have their own.

Some good Yorkshire ones are:

Barmpot - a stupid person
Owt - Nothing
Push Iron - Bicycle
Midden - A mess

But my all time favs have got to be "Your not as green as cabbage looking" (you are not as stupid as you look) and "Ill go t'bottom of our street" which means I don't believe it.:)

Love this stuff! Wish we were as creative here in the NorthEast! I should probably just say Connecticut as we know that "Bahston" people have their own "speak"! As do New Yorkers and Jersey-folk for that matter....Come to think of it, Maine, Vermont and New Hampshire do as well....Which begs the question, what happened in Connecticut!!!????

I hadn't realized it, but I believe you're right on the regional"ness" of the slang. One fellow whom I work with here (moved from London) speaks it in everyday chat, but when we visit the folks over in Sandwich, it's not as apparent...More sheep than people I suppose ;-)

This string has gone waaaaaay off the deep end! LOL

Lol!

From decimal points to cockney rhyming slang, disboards always keeps you informed!:thumbsup2

Wow! What is amazing to me is that this is still going on after 6 pages! :rotfl2:

Yes, we all have pet peeves. Yes, we all have catch phrases or buzz words that we likely overuse. Yes, many--if not all--of us make grammatical and/or numerical mistakes. Live and let live here on the boards. Save the rest for grading.

I am a college professor, so poor grammar gets on my nerves as well...but when people engage in public speaking for a living (which is what our great team here does) they are going to make mistakes. When you are recorded for several hours each week, there are going to be speaking errors. It's life. Perfection does not exist. :goodvibes

I LOVE this thread! I, too, have major corrective-itis when it comes to grammar and misspellings. Loose vs. lose and the many spellings of your/you're or their/they're/there drive me insane! But my favourite ;) part of this thread is the "Limeys" that are chiming in. Forgive me if "Limey" isn't P.C., but I have cousins in England and I adore listening to them talk and their (note the correct spelling) many sayings! However, during my visit last autumn I met some Geordies who I could NOT understand at all! But I still liked 'em.

Keep the sayings coming! I want to start using them - haha.

I LOVE this thread! I, too, have major corrective-itis when it comes to grammar and misspellings. Loose vs. lose and the many spellings of your/you're or their/they're/there drive me insane! But my favourite ;) part of this thread is the "Limeys" that are chiming in. Forgive me if "Limey" isn't P.C., but I have cousins in England and I adore listening to them talk and their (note the correct spelling) many sayings! However, during my visit last autumn I met some Geordies who I could NOT understand at all! But I still liked 'em.

Keep the sayings coming! I want to start using them - haha.

We resent that! ;)

Hahaha, we can't understand Geordies ether! They try and teach you when your young by showing programmes like 'Byker Grove', so you can understand the basics, from then on your on your own! Lol! :rotfl:

i hate when people use there/they're/their or your/you're wrong. i especially like it when they have a tattoo using it wrong though.

misspelled%20tattoo.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter